Forum Settings
Forums

Subtitled/Subbed or English Dubbed anime (aka Subs vs. Dubs v2)

New
Pages (176) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Jul 20, 2011 8:22 PM

Sep 2010
But that is where the Woolseyisms sits in.

"He frequently modified the scripts he was handed in order to render them more accessible for American release. "

Iranai

Jul 20, 2011 9:19 PM

Sep 2010
HyperCobaltMax said:
At least it still works right?

No. The listing there is just a general listing and while some of the entries sound really positive others are just straight fact even note when sometimes Woolseyisms fail.

Jul 20, 2011 10:14 PM

Mar 2011
Now back to anime,
I think this http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Woolseyism/Anime gives it all.

That link seriously just entertained me for a good hour thank you very much. Haha. Anyhow that just reminded me of how sometimes dubs are superior to the original language. It is kind of nice to have Americanized jokes or more relatable jokes in my anime sometimes. I mean shows like Yu Yu Hakusho got much funnier in the English dub than in the sub, I know because I've watched the dub with subtitles playing at the bottom. And Samurai Champloo with the Yoshitsune rap was just plain awesome. I'm watching Needless now in the dub and even though the jokes are very Japanese-based the humor still gets translated well into English, even if the original meaning is changed slightly (Triangular Wooden Horse was hilarious!)
Harems don't exist in America. If one guy is constantly surrounded by beautiful girls, then he's probably the gay friend.
Jul 20, 2011 10:28 PM

Sep 2010
I mean shows like Yu Yu Hakusho got much funnier in the English dub than in the sub, I know because I've watched the dub with subtitles playing at the bottom

lol whut? Subs is short hand for original dialogue with subtitles turned on. Turning on the subtitles for the dub track(also are you even sure it was subtitles and not dubtitles?) doesn't tell you anything about the Japanese performances.So what you know is nothing.

HAHA! Sometimes the dubs are better than the original language when the best you can say is you read the subtitles with the original language off. Priceless.
Anime_NameJul 20, 2011 10:42 PM

Jul 20, 2011 10:45 PM
Mar 2011
im native Japanese and i watch dubs but if they change to much its kills the dubs for me

like gvieing Osaka people a Hick accent so too say Osaka is That much in the south have those dubbers ever looked at a map of Japan if the cracters in question were from say Chugoku prefecture or Kyushu just because Osaka in Kansai witch is south of Honshu but Osaka is Not Fukuoka and dubbers need to Learn this
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 21, 2011 6:30 PM

Aug 2008
I prefer to watch dubs because I'm usually doing other stuff on the computer while I watch anime. If I see an anime with a dub I can't stand (such as the dub for Ojamajo Doremi) I'll watch it subbed. Sometimes I'll watch a subbed episode of an anime I've already seen dubbed so I can hear the characters' voices (or if I find out that the plot for that episode was changed, I'll watch it for the original storyline.) I recently started watching season 14 of Pokemon subbed because I got sick of the dub. I really started disliking the dub after season 8, but couldn't find seasons 8-13 subbed.

So, I can see the appeal of both subs and dubs.

And the light shineth in darkness;
and the darkness comprehended it
not.

- John 1:5 (KJV)
Jul 21, 2011 6:44 PM

Mar 2011
Anime_Name said:
I mean shows like Yu Yu Hakusho got much funnier in the English dub than in the sub, I know because I've watched the dub with subtitles playing at the bottom

lol whut? Subs is short hand for original dialogue with subtitles turned on. Turning on the subtitles for the dub track(also are you even sure it was subtitles and not dubtitles?) doesn't tell you anything about the Japanese performances.So what you know is nothing.

HAHA! Sometimes the dubs are better than the original language when the best you can say is you read the subtitles with the original language off. Priceless.

Well how that actually worked was that I have the DVD's, started watching it in the Japanese with subtitles on, then went back to the start of the episode, left the subtitles on at the bottom and had the English audio playing. As ridiculous as it apparently sounds to you, it actually was a very effective way of determining exactly what was changed and how the rewritten script compared to the original. And I have also gone through and watched shows in both the English dubbed and the original Japanese with subtitles.
Harems don't exist in America. If one guy is constantly surrounded by beautiful girls, then he's probably the gay friend.
Jul 21, 2011 7:11 PM

Sep 2010
As ridiculous as it apparently sounds to you, it actually was a very effective way of determining exactly what was changed and how the rewritten script compared to the original.

That doesn't sound ridiculous. Being able to spot differences between captions on the screen and what is being said is simple. Saying what you heard is funnier than the text on the screen without hearing the performance is what I have a problem with. If they made a joke more funny then great but if they made a dramatic scene funnier then that sucks.

Jul 21, 2011 7:17 PM

Jan 2009
itsthatguy said:
Anime_Name said:

Well how that actually worked was that I have the DVD's, started watching it in the Japanese with subtitles on, then went back to the start of the episode, left the subtitles on at the bottom and had the English audio playing. As ridiculous as it apparently sounds to you, it actually was a very effective way of determining exactly what was changed and how the rewritten script compared to the original. And I have also gone through and watched shows in both the English dubbed and the original Japanese with subtitles.

I see what you're saying. I did that once with Speed Grapher. I downloaded the dual audio version and started with subs. Then I noticed very quick that the subs sucked really bad (Arigatou subs), so I changed the audio to dubbed, but the subs stayed on (I was too lazy to turn them off for the first episode). The translation wasn't bad, but the grammar and spelling the subs was terrible. But then i just turned the subs off for episode 2+.
Jul 21, 2011 7:27 PM
Feb 2010
I like subs, nor particular reason.
Jul 21, 2011 10:20 PM

Mar 2011
Anime_Name said:
As ridiculous as it apparently sounds to you, it actually was a very effective way of determining exactly what was changed and how the rewritten script compared to the original.

That doesn't sound ridiculous. Being able to spot differences between captions on the screen and what is being said is simple. Saying what you heard is funnier than the text on the screen without hearing the performance is what I have a problem with. If they made a joke more funny then great but if they made a dramatic scene funnier then that sucks.

Ahh ok I see what you're saying now, my apologies. What I meant was that they did change some of the dialogue to make scenes more humorous or localized than the original dialogue but did not alter any serious scenes for the sake of a laugh. Funny stayed funny and serious stayed serious. To be quite honest the only problem I have with dubs are times when they heavily change or edit content, that just pisses me off.
Jul 21, 2011 10:32 PM

Sep 2010
I downloaded the dual audio version and started with subs. Then I noticed very quick that the subs sucked really bad (Arigatou subs), so I changed the audio to dubbed, but the subs stayed on (I was too lazy to turn them off for the first episode). The translation wasn't bad, but the grammar and spelling the subs was terrible.

If the group really was the one you mentioned then that was just a DVD rip so the subtitles were the official ones from Funimation. Subtitles represent dialogue and any grammatical errors were probably done on purpose for characterization and are not the fault of the writers. I only say probably because I dropped Speed Grapher and for what I have seen(more than 1 episode) all the subs represent what the characters say.

Basically I mean if a character says, "Not if anything to say about it, I have!" the job of subtitles or captions is to repeat it verbatim. There is no correction to be made since it is not an error by the writers and ultimately it would alter the character.

Jul 21, 2011 10:57 PM

Jun 2009
To throw in my opinion, I would say I don't have a real preference of one over the other. Though I've watched most of my anime subbed, and more often will automatically go for a subbed anime over a dub of the same anime, it's mostly because that way of viewing anime became the norm for me after a while. I'm perfectly alright with English Dubbed anime as well, having watched plenty of anime this way. There have as well been some cases I find a dub is superior in my own opinion to the original. There are cases such as Full Metal Alchemist or Hetalia Axis Powers I preferred watching the dub over a sub. In the case of FMA I ended up liking the voices in the dub better, feeling they fit the characters really well in some way. In the case of Hetalia I just enjoyed the dialog and more of the jokes in the American dub more. There are other instances I've ended up partaking in a dub rather than a sub for the same reasons. Of course there are times a dub has also just botched up the voices, dialogue, and more to a point I can't stand its dub counterpart mentioned (Soul Hunter namely), but I've really got nothing against dubs at all. As I've said, subtitled anime is just the norm for me.
Jul 22, 2011 4:11 AM

Jul 2010
If any anime isn't dub or not even licensed, then I'll just watch it subtitled. I tend to rewatch shojo anime since most of them aren't licensed.
But I love watching dub and sub.
Jul 22, 2011 5:56 AM

Jul 2009
animelly said:
If any anime isn't dub or not even licensed, then I'll just watch it subtitled. I tend to rewatch shojo anime since most of them aren't licensed.

This post made my day.
I also love watching both.
Jul 22, 2011 6:11 AM

Aug 2009
It really depends, but I've gotten used to the subs that I prefer with that as my default. The biggest problem I've always had with English dubs is the dialogue, as they often come off as hokey to me. That doesn't mean the quality of the voice acting is automatically terrible just because of that. There are plenty of dubs out there that are okay and some that turn out to be even better than the original JP ones. Cowboy Bebop and Yu Yu Hakusho come to mind.

On a side note, I get annoyed at the fact that a lot of people treat Japanese voice acting as the voice of angels, when they don't realize that that's far from perfect. That's my opinion anyway, so you don't have to take my word for it.
Jul 22, 2011 7:28 AM

May 2011
I always watch anime with subs, mainly because I love the Japanese language. The language is so expressional and wonderful, I really wish I myself could speak it which leads me to another reason why I watch with subs; you actually learn words and expressions, even though it's not much it's always something!

A third reason why I watch with subs is because I find it quite hard to follow what they say when it's dubbed. It's much easier to read than to listen.
Jul 22, 2011 7:31 AM

Dec 2010
Depends if the dub is good or not. Especially if there are young girls in it since English Dubs can't pull off the cute Japanese loli voices. There are some pretty good English dubbed anime like Baccano,FMA,Darker than Black and Cowboy Bebop.
Jul 22, 2011 9:47 AM

Jul 2011
I watch anime with subs the most..but sometimes I watch with dubbed if the anime don't have option to shows subtitle on the tv. But I prefer subtitle because I like to listen the japanese voices =]

Jul 22, 2011 9:54 AM

Aug 2007
animelly said:

Does that mean you would stop watching something subbed if it was licensed?
Jul 22, 2011 10:28 AM
Jul 2011
I like both. I prefer dubs since I can actually watch the anime in more detail and just listen to the words of my own language versus playing catch up with subtitles. I love japanese voices and it's language, but the truth is I don't know jacksquat as far as what they are saying. So dubs can provide to be very helpful.

However, it can be difficult when you are watching an old anime that was dubbed good, but they changed the names around to attract regular english speaking fans and then suddenly they stop dubbing the series and anyone who wants to continue to watch the series has to watch the subbed version with their original japanese names that you are unfamiliar with. I'm looking at you Funimation and Case Closed.

That being said, I was really disappointed when Funimation released the second and third season of Hell Girl without being dubbed. That show's dubbing was actually quite good.
Jul 22, 2011 11:20 AM

Jul 2009
GoldenButterfly said:
That being said, I was really disappointed when Funimation released the second and third season of Hell Girl without being dubbed. That show's dubbing was actually quite good.

Funimation actually didn't release the 2nd and 3rd seasons of Hell Girl. Those were done by Sentai Filmworks (at least I think it was them)
Jul 22, 2011 6:26 PM

Aug 2007
GoldenButterfly said:
I like both. I prefer dubs since I can actually watch the anime in more detail and just listen to the words of my own language versus playing catch up with subtitles. I love japanese voices and it's language, but the truth is I don't know jacksquat as far as what they are saying. So dubs can provide to be very helpful.

However, it can be difficult when you are watching an old anime that was dubbed good, but they changed the names around to attract regular english speaking fans and then suddenly they stop dubbing the series and anyone who wants to continue to watch the series has to watch the subbed version with their original japanese names that you are unfamiliar with. I'm looking at you Funimation and Case Closed.

That is why subtitles exist.
Jul 22, 2011 9:26 PM

Jan 2009
Anime_Name said:
I downloaded the dual audio version and started with subs. Then I noticed very quick that the subs sucked really bad (Arigatou subs), so I changed the audio to dubbed, but the subs stayed on (I was too lazy to turn them off for the first episode). The translation wasn't bad, but the grammar and spelling the subs was terrible.

If the group really was the one you mentioned then that was just a DVD rip so the subtitles were the official ones from Funimation. Subtitles represent dialogue and any grammatical errors were probably done on purpose for characterization and are not the fault of the writers. I only say probably because I dropped Speed Grapher and for what I have seen(more than 1 episode) all the subs represent what the characters say.

Basically I mean if a character says, "Not if anything to say about it, I have!" the job of subtitles or captions is to repeat it verbatim. There is no correction to be made since it is not an error by the writers and ultimately it would alter the character.

In the version I have, there were a lot of spelling mistakes and sentaces like "you need togo!" (not an actual line, but they forgot to hit the space bar). I'll re-watch episode 1 and give some examples tomorrow. Maybe FUNimation messed up or Arigatou changed the script or they tried to translate on their own.
Jul 22, 2011 9:49 PM
Jul 2011
subbed... you can feel the anime wholeheartedly with the original audio... >.<
Jul 22, 2011 9:57 PM

Aug 2010
Meh_93 said:
In the version I have, there were a lot of spelling mistakes and sentaces like "you need togo!" (not an actual line, but they forgot to hit the space bar). I'll re-watch episode 1 and give some examples tomorrow. Maybe FUNimation messed up or Arigatou changed the script or they tried to translate on their own.

I might be talking out of my ass but I think sometimes they do just rip the dub track and put it on their release with subtitles. I could be wrong but I thought I heard of that being done before... If I'm being stupid just let me know.
Jul 23, 2011 12:36 AM
Nov 2008
prismheart said:
Meh_93 said:

I might be talking out of my ass but I think sometimes they do just rip the dub track and put it on their release with subtitles. I could be wrong but I thought I heard of that being done before... If I'm being stupid just let me know.

That's what one calls the 'dub track' when referring to subtitles, it is technically called 'closed captions' and solely for the hearing impaired (the track will often include cues, such as musical notes for singing and other symbols for other sounds). To treat closed captioning as bad wouldn't exactly be a wise move.
Jul 23, 2011 8:44 AM

Aug 2010
Onibokusu said:
prismheart said:
Meh_93 said:

That's what one calls the 'dub track' when referring to subtitles, it is technically called 'closed captions' and solely for the hearing impaired (the track will often include cues, such as musical notes for singing and other symbols for other sounds). To treat closed captioning as bad wouldn't exactly be a wise move.

Yeah, your probably right because I've only read about it on Nihonomaru, I wasn't going to dl it anyway.
Jul 25, 2011 9:24 PM

Jan 2009
Onibokusu said:
prismheart said:
Meh_93 said:

Yeah, that's what it probably is, then shouldn't have marked it as "subbed" then...but it was dual audio so I just watch it dubbed instead and the dubbed version was pretty good so I don't really care.
Jul 25, 2011 9:36 PM

Apr 2011
I tried watching a little of the Pani Poni Dash! English dub, and it just doesn't sound right. (The one I watched was the Mahou Shoujo episode :))

That series is about crazy schoolgirls, and the high level of enthusiasm just sounds weird in English. That's supposed to be one of the best dubs, too.
Jul 25, 2011 9:55 PM

Sep 2010
Meh_93 said:
Onibokusu said:
prismheart said:
Meh_93 said:

Yeah, that's what it probably is, then shouldn't have marked it as "subbed" then...but it was dual audio so I just watch it dubbed instead and the dubbed version was pretty good so I don't really care.

If you guys are still referring to the subtitles on Speed Grapher from Arigatou the those are translations of the Japanese audio, not dubtitles and not closed captions for the hearing impaired. It is marked as subbed because when the words people say get put on the bottom of your screen in text form that is a subtitle.

Jul 25, 2011 11:36 PM

Jul 2011
I used to like Dub but once I found out about Sub I can't stand watching Dub anymore.

They dont put enough emotions in it like the Subs have and Dubbed quality of Voice actors are failures. Also you shoulda made this a poll easier to see who likes what
Jul 26, 2011 12:29 AM

Dec 2010
itsthatguy said:
Now back to anime,
I think this http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Woolseyism/Anime gives it all.

That link seriously just entertained me for a good hour thank you very much. Haha. Anyhow that just reminded me of how sometimes dubs are superior to the original language. It is kind of nice to have Americanized jokes or more relatable jokes in my anime sometimes. I mean shows like Yu Yu Hakusho got much funnier in the English dub than in the sub, I know because I've watched the dub with subtitles playing at the bottom. And Samurai Champloo with the Yoshitsune rap was just plain awesome. I'm watching Needless now in the dub and even though the jokes are very Japanese-based the humor still gets translated well into English, even if the original meaning is changed slightly (Triangular Wooden Horse was hilarious!)

Why you're welcome there! :)
Aug 5, 2011 1:40 AM

Jan 2011
I just can't bring myself to watch Dub ever. I hate them.

I like to hear the voices that were specifically picked for the character.
When dubs are made, it seems like they don't care who does the voice, as long as it's done.

Too many things change. Like the jokes and the names.

I just love hearing the original japanese voices.
But that's my personal opinion.
Aug 5, 2011 5:02 AM

Jul 2009
SerenityB3128 said:
I just can't bring myself to watch Dub ever. I hate them.

When dubs are made, it seems like they don't care who does the voice, as long as it's done.

I just love hearing the original japanese voices.
But that's my personal opinion.

Even though most dubs are not as good as the original, I don't think its fair to say that they dubbing companies don't care when they make anime.
I've met a bunch of dub actors at conventions and its obvious that they love what they do. And recent dubs have gotten a lot better especially in regard to changing names.
I didn't mean that to come out rude...
Aug 5, 2011 7:23 AM
Jul 2011
90% of the time subtitles are way better and voices are dead on but dubs can have thier moment every once in a while like Yu Yu Hakusho to me is way better dubbed then subbed.
Aug 5, 2011 9:53 AM

Aug 2011
I hate English dub for some reason, sometimes their voices in my case do not fit the character.
Subtitled, is better for me cause im a fast reader. The only down part is if i look away for like 1 sec i just lost like a paragraph of what they were saying x-x

But i personally choose Subbed, :D.
Aug 5, 2011 10:19 AM

Mar 2011
I like both (if the dub is done well, and the subs are done correctly), but I watch way more subs than dubs since I just download the subbed versions. Although I did watch Naruto all dubbed and it was passable. Watch all of Death Note dubbed and I thought it was amazingly well done. Put Brad Swaile on my fav people list for his performance.
Aug 5, 2011 9:14 PM

Jun 2009
SerenityB3128 said:

so you basically think dubbing companies don't put any effort or care into dubbing the anime they're gonna release? please...

if they all did that, then the dub would turn out completely rushed. those like funimation take a good amount of time to cast the voice actors they feel would be right for that certain role. and from what i've seen from them, they're almost always right on. (never completely cause even then, there is the issue of mis-casting which tends to happen occasionally.)

SerenityB3128 said:

jokes tend to be altered a bit-just enough to sound understandable-since most of them are rooted in japanese culture, therefore it can be alien to others who don't know much about japan.

oh and they stopped name changes A LONG TIME AGO.
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Aug 7, 2011 7:10 PM

Jun 2007
Meh_93 said:
Subtitle errors like "you need togo" that have missing or added spaces, changed characters (C->O,I->l), or added/deleted punctuation are the fault of poor Optical Character Recognition (OCR), which is done when the ripping groups convert DVD and Bluray imagesubs into text subs. If you get the actual DVDs or a release like Exiled-Destiny's that uses the DVD subs "as-is," chances you won't see those same errors.

Bottom line, if you've going to evaluate DVD subs, make sure you evaluate from the actual DVDs or a rip that doesn't convert them, because it's not the companies' fault that some groups don't do enough spell-checking or QC on the subs they OCR.

prismheart said:

Despite popular opinion, official "dubtitled" subs that are nothing but transcripts of the English dub are relatively rare. Some discs do have a dubtitle track in addition to the normal subtitles for the Japanese audio, but those aren't too common either. Some of the DVD-rips out there mistakenly use the dubtitle track and don't include the actual subtitles, leading to false impressions that the discs are dubtitled. Typical discs do have 2 tracks: 1 being the translation of the Japanese dialogue, and the other being a "Songs & Signs Only" track that's meant to be used with the English audio. (Unless the companies dub the songs, or use hardsubs/overlays to translate onscreen text, which are both infrequent events.)
ZalisAug 7, 2011 7:15 PM

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Aug 7, 2011 8:01 PM
Jan 2011
Okay,most people will prefer the subbed over the dub,but all that really matters is opinion.True,some anime are best left subbed but,we all know that most of the anime that is in japan,is going to eventually come to america.A pure example would
be Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt.FUNimation said is going on dvd next year.

The point is what you think it is.With me,I just watch english dub,but my opinion about the subs are starting to change.
Aug 7, 2011 8:16 PM

Feb 2009
Dubbed anime gives me a headache, I just can't stand it, reminds me of chalkboard screech sounds. I prefer subbed anime, it's the way that was originally meant to be seen and heard (IMO). The japanese voice actor's way of acting and the emotion they puts behind each character is outstanding, the voice is perfectly sync with the story, music, sound, setting and of course with the character. I love my subbed anime.
Aug 7, 2011 10:34 PM

Feb 2011
For anime that takes place in Japan, I prefer subbed. Otherwise, I usually prefer dubs.
Aug 7, 2011 10:51 PM

Aug 2011
I can do both, and I'm not about to stop because the next guy is forcing his preferences down my throat. I enjoy Naruto and Bleach dubbed, does that make me any less different than the next HST fan? No, because we're both watching the same thing, just in different audio.

For anime that I can't find dubbed, I watch subbed or read the manga until the dubbed comes out. Then I make my judgment whether I will read it/continue the sub or watch the dub. It doesn't matter to me what I watch it in, just as long as I enjoy the series.

Aug 7, 2011 11:35 PM

Jul 2011
99% of the time i prefer subs
Aug 8, 2011 12:40 AM

Oct 2009
I've never had a problem with watching subs. I mean sometimes there are mistakes but hey, they're free subs so I'm not complaining. And outside of voices that just happen to be annoying, I have no problem.
However, the thing about watching dubs is they're generally funnier because of the localization. I don't need translator notes for them. If I show I liked gets a dub I'll generally watch a couple episodes in English and I usually think the voices are decent and if I don't, it's prolly just because I don't think it fits the character. But regardless, if it's a comedy show or placed in an English speaking country, I'd rather watch it dubbed because it's more enjoyable to me.
Aug 8, 2011 12:44 AM

Sep 2010
However, the thing about watching dubs is they're generally funnier because of the localization.

Not a good thing if I am watching series that are not trying to be funny.

Aug 8, 2011 12:57 AM

Jul 2011
I can honestly say I always get subs. Most times dubs sound horrible.

Plus having them speak in Japanese makes it better. Not to mention it sounds much better too.
Aug 12, 2011 2:11 AM

Aug 2011
It's all a matter of opinion. Some people are comfortable one way or the other. Neither is definitively superior, either can be bad or good. I listen to either but usually go for dub, if I have the choice, because i'm lazy and don't want to read while I watch a show.
Pages (176) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Evangelion sucks

brainburger - Jun 20

46 by FanofAction »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Is there a correlation between not liking spicy food, and liking bad anime?

Nyron - 26 minutes ago

2 by FanofAction »»
18 minutes ago

» ⌛ How many of your top-10 fiction is anime? ( 1 2 3 )

Shizuna - Mar 27, 2022

121 by justadice »»
23 minutes ago

» What character has the strongest defense?

SilentAssassin88 - 52 minutes ago

3 by Mayahuel »»
28 minutes ago

» do you have a fap log?

slopgobbler - 7 hours ago

22 by BruhFunny69 »»
44 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.