Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kakushigoto: My Dad's Secret Ambition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Mar 26, 2022 6:59 PM

Jan 2020
That was an emotional but great finale. I'm glad things ended up well for everyone and the whole amnesia thing didn't lead to anything bad

May 1, 2022 1:53 PM
Nov 2020
It was a cliche ending but it was even better because of it. This one is super underrated. I just want to watch an anime to pass the time but I did not thought that this would end up as one of my all time favorites. It's been a while since I cried this much. Literally everything was really amazing. 8/10
May 2, 2022 12:40 PM

Nov 2017
Cute art and a beautiful stories
A silly gag wrapped up with heartwarming show
Love it especially that ending đź‘Ť

Today i turned 18, dad
T_T Hime....
May 2, 2022 12:45 PM

Nov 2017
Nurularifin said:
It was a cliche ending but it was even better because of it. This one is super underrated. I just want to watch an anime to pass the time but I did not thought that this would end up as one of my all time favorites. It's been a while since I cried this much. Literally everything was really amazing. 8/10
u right bro.. so fvkin underated.. me too, i watch this just wanna pass the time, but waw, what a great series.. i tho this is just a silly gag, but c'mon dude.. that ending so touching..
Jun 4, 2022 5:26 PM

Oct 2020
Atavistic said:
Wow, this show was a massive disappointment. I knew from my very brief experience with Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei that I wasn't much of a fan of Kumeta's comedic style (and on that note, gotta remove Joshiraku from my PTW as I didn't know that was one of his works too), but I honestly didn't expect this show to be so heavy on its comedic elements. I was expecting something more akin to Usagi Drop, a wholesome slice-of-life mixed with more serious elements when appropriate. Instead, what we got seemed to be a show with an identity crisis, stuck between its disparate comedic and wholesome elements and ultimately never fully committing to either in favour of... whatever this was.

Seriously, this final episode was so weird and felt more or less completely out of place from the rest of the show, while simultaneously being rushed as hell to the point of being near-enough incoherent. Most of these reveals about the family history and the two "love children" feel utterly irrelevant, and the amnesia ploy is so contrived to boot. More to the point, it doesn't feel like this mystery justified the slow build-up it was given throughout the show, and I'm not even sure why it was necessary at all: did Kumeta think that a simple father-daughter story wouldn't grab people and that he needed some sort of gimmick to keep people interested? Because he didn't.

Besides all that, not too much else to say. When the show went for emotional punches with Hime and Gotou's interactions, it generally landed as intended, but the show ultimately didn't have enough of that. On the flipside, the show had way too much of Tomaruin, such an irritatingly obnoxious and obtuse character.

4/10. Last Kumeta work I will ever watch, as I clearly don't like his writing style at all. I wish I'd just stuck with the gut feeling I had when this was a seasonal and I skipped it because of it being a Kumeta work.
This exactly what i feel towards the anime, you just described it perfectly. I was going to write something like that
Jul 17, 2022 2:39 PM
Dec 2021
great anime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aug 21, 2022 10:20 AM
Nov 2011
I have had several false moments of sadness and tears in this show. but the moment this episode opens and you find out the history of the family the Water Works began. you kind of lose sight of what happened to himes Mom but in the end it's so heart-wrenching when he starts them on the manga after he wakes up and then doesn't recognize his daughter and starts ordering her around like she's an assistant. but then when the daughter realizes that what he really needs is to see what he has done, that he completed everything, and that she's grown up fine, and happy.

I have not cried this much over an anime in a while. but it's a therapeutic cry that I needed. my wife passed away 2 years ago and it's hard to deal with all of the pain, the sorrow, the Lament of not having her here with my family. I can't imagine having to live and work alone like he did, but I can relate. I just wanted to see his kids be happy, and so it hits a tone with me that just Rings true and that has to fill buckets of Tears. I don't know if I can watch this whole one again because of how emotional it was but it was a tender moment that I will always appreciate.
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Oct 20, 2022 1:30 PM
Feb 2022
Tis was a really good show with a lot of funny moments and also a strong story line, the only thing i dont like is the final, the final story was good but it was put all in 1 episode and seem like it was make in a rush.
Oct 27, 2022 10:18 AM

Jan 2020
This kid looks so much like Gotou, I thought it was just him cosplaying or something. What is about to happen?

He's in a coma because manga collapsed on him? I almost want to laugh. Well, at least he's not dead, Hime isn't alone in the world. So that's good.

All-in-all, it was a good ending. I was worried it was going to be pretty cheesy, but they became self-aware; acknowledging the cliché. Not only that, they handled it rather well. So despite it being a cliché it was still rather touching. I got a bit teary as the credits rolled; It was nice to see Hime and Gotou reunited finally.

I enjoyed the series a lot, but it wasn't quite perfect. There were definitely some weaker moments throughout, which made the story feel a bit inconsistent. I'm not sure if there just wasn't enough balance, or if it was simply a pacing issue. That being said, it looks like there are 12 volumes of the manga. So covering the whole series in just 12 episodes certainly is a tall order. I imagine the manga is much tighter, so I'll probably be checking that out at some point down the road.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Nov 24, 2022 1:07 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
I was half-expecting Kakushi to be faking his amnesia, pretending not to know that that was Hime, all for the sake getting a raw, genuine reaction from Hime to see if whether or not she'd accept her father as a manga writer. But having him actually have amnesia and being awoken again with manga that he'd already wrote was good too. And so Hime proceeds to be a "bad, selfish girl", and decides to attempt to bring her father back despite knowing that recovering his memories might also bring back the pain of the past. But she doesn't do so in a completely heartless manner, because there in the hospital room, her father indirectly tells her that nothing would make him happier than to see his daughter happy. It's beautiful...

...but feels just a bit rushed, considering the time allocated at the end of every episode building up to these moments. I think if these events of the present were given two episodes as opposed to one, I think it could've hit even harder. Maybe that's what the movie's for? I know it's mostly a recap, but I hear there's additional scenes added as well. Maybe those are just added SoL and comedy scenes, but if they are in fact scenes added to the events of this final episode, I believe that could smooth out this ending considerably. Because you gotta admit, they packed a crap load in this episode bigger than that massive pallet of manga that nearly killed Kakushi lol.

All in all for now though, this certainly is more than just a solid anime and is something special. It was funny, it was heart-warming, I loved the characters, and it moved me a little. Here's hoping that with the movie, I will be moved even more. Fingers crossed that the movie's slightly lower score than the main series is due to some people being unhappy that it's mainly just a summarized version of the main series. I was kinda hoping that this ending would obliterate my soul whether Kakushi was alive or not, and would keep me up for the rest of the night just thinking about it, but that's not the case for me. It's really good, but my heart is still intact over here. Good vibes only I guess!

I'll watch the movie sometime soon. For now I'll just be glad that I picked up another anime that I'm thankful that I didn't miss out on.

8/10

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 26, 2022 8:15 PM

Oct 2022
So glad that we got a happy ending! His past assistants really are like his adopted kids of sorts; they care so much about someone that they have not worked for for 7 years. It goes way beyond an employer/employee relationship, and it's beautiful. Though I can't believe that guy is still an editor.

Feb 4, 2023 5:08 AM

Mar 2013
Wonderful conclusion! but I didn't get to see Hime's mother and there was no continuation about it.

Overall, I love the foreshadowing of this ending, I even loved the Opening, it can really touch your heart.

This is one of the character designs and art styles that I love. It really focused on the characters and their world, and not about l*wdn*ss. A really wonderful work.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Feb 19, 2023 7:01 PM

Dec 2019
I'M IN DESPAIR! THE END OF HIME AND HER FATHER'S WHOLESOMENESS HAS LEFT ME IN DESPAIR!

This episode was an emotional ride, went from 10 to 100 from previous episode. Tad anticlimactic drama with the foreshadowing from every ep but the comedy absolutely carried as expected from this author, Hiroshi Kamiya is such a goat even after so many years, this is probably my favorite anime so far this decade
Mar 3, 2023 1:59 PM
Jul 2017
A beautiful story, I only wish that we could see more of their story while she was growing up
Mar 11, 2023 9:43 AM
Jul 2019
nice for slice of life genre
Mar 28, 2023 6:55 PM

Oct 2022
wow, such an interesting but great end to this story. man, im such an emotional person, tears are just now drying up as i type this out. love this anime so so much! :)
May 20, 2023 8:24 AM

Oct 2022
lol, still gave me good laugh and depressed at the end of the episode.

great ending too !

I thought he will go somewhere and find his wife and died in the process, but luckily its not
May 23, 2023 11:51 AM

Aug 2019
that was very emotional would be lying if i said i didnt almost cry but cant say its that good of an ending because like tomaruin said. cliche. in fact so cliche i couldnt guess it.
first i thought that "this is kinda dumb have 11 episodes of random bs then tell the actual story" but the 11 episodes is there to make you care for the two of them which makes the last episode great. as funny as the scenes at the "studio" were i wish this had even more scenes with hime and kakushi alone.
this was good i dont know if id recommend this to anyone really. it just doesnt feel like a "must watch" or something cant really say why.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 2, 2023 6:55 AM
Aug 2022
What a lameass, out of nowhere, unwelcome and uncalled for tragedy.

Nothing's wrong with the anime except the terrible inu va, sadly it's a waste of talent and resources.

The story (probably manga too) was unbearable.
Harem aspects, bad characters, cringe jokes, a yelling weirdo like in Sayonara Sensei.
I'm skipping this dude's stories from now on.
Feb 18, 7:37 PM
Jun 2023
Best ending ever tbh.
Feb 18, 7:38 PM
Jun 2023
Best ending ever tbh.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kakushigoto (TV) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 14, 2020

99 by AngelFlash »»
May 5, 7:12 PM

Poll: » Kakushigoto (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Marinate1016 - May 28, 2020

80 by Mailo91 »»
Mar 26, 9:18 AM

Poll: » Kakushigoto (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2020

226 by removed-user »»
Sep 4, 2023 10:22 AM

Poll: » Kakushigoto (TV) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ashhk - May 21, 2020

93 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 2, 2023 5:28 AM

Poll: » Kakushigoto (TV) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 30, 2020

111 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 1, 2023 2:46 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.