Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (10) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Feb 3, 2019 8:35 AM

Nov 2011
OG_Gattsu said:
Demyx_IX said:
Given that hardly any of the Isekais that you've completed have a rating higher than 5, one should take your opinion with a McDonald's sized serving of salt.

Well Isekai’s are poorly written garbage. I wouldn’t expect you to know what good writing looks like considering you like Shield Hero and DiTF lmao
I could say the same to you, given that quite a few popular animes are rated 5 and lower on your anime list
Feb 3, 2019 8:41 AM

Apr 2018
OG_Gattsu said:
Shield hero is poorly written garbage. Expect a lengthy review on it later

Just don't expect us to give a fuck about it
Feb 3, 2019 9:40 AM

Sep 2016
Kamiyan3991 said:
OK, so far we had 3 eps and that amount of bullshit/terrible writing deserves its own thread, no kidding. I'm lazy so I'll only post some bs from episode 3, spoiler ahead.

I've posted some examples only from episode 3. This writing actually doesn't make sense from the beginning.
TBH, I'm almost impressed by all of this. I never thought you could write so bad and get away with it. I mean, this is apparently #1 show this season.

Update!
I've posted some quote that appears to be on point.

Ariavartan said:
I must say- the show is full of plot holes. Two big ones I can't even pretend to not exist
-The whole Naofumi not being able to use any other weapon is a pretty giant one considering we have seen many times using stuff that can be used offensively, like the pickass in 2 and maze in 3. What does it really mean by not being able to wield any other weapon? That he can't wield it while intenting it to be used for killng? Or just any weapon that can be used offensively?
-I spoilered myself and got to know how she grew however that leads to another plot hole-how did her parents who must be at very high level lose against a dog when she was shown to mow down entire armies her self? Can demi humans grow up normally without leveling too?

Your thoughts?

Jesus christ you sound like a hack reviewer if I've ever seen one I haven't even watched the show yet and our points made me cringe.

1) Fair point

2) fair point but I seriously doubt you care about that.

3) Teleportation is a pretty common thing in anime I don't really see why you would have a problem with it unless you were trying to grasp at straws to try and find a reason to dislike this anime. Which you likely were because that's how most myanimelist viewers are.

4) Yes woman do falsely accuse men of rape and sexual assault and yes that's more than enough to ruin their life and send them to jail if they're not proven innocent. Fun fact if a woman rapes a minior and gets pregnenet she can force them to pay child support < And that has happened before.

5) Enemies holding off their attack until the titular hero can save them? that happens in pretty much every anime that exists. Goblin slayer did it, Dbz did it, naruto did it, one piece did it, reincranted as a slime did it, I can go on but I don't want to.

6) That's a stupid fucking criticism. When you accuse a character of not acting like a human being you explain why they aren't acting like a human being.

No wonder why you don't write reviews they'ed be insta removed by the mods.
I've surpassed your limit!
Feb 4, 2019 5:12 AM

Aug 2017
Demyx_IX said:
I could say the same to you, given that quite a few popular animes are rated 5 and lower on your anime list

LMAO, just ignore that guy, he's just some trashy, edgy, elitist wannabe who likes to put a 1-3 at every mainstream shounen anime he watches and likes to use typical cliche comments such as "Power of friendship bullshit" or "The MC is a beta crybaby" without even developing any arguments towards of those traits in his reviews because apparently "these shows lacks any substance or complexity" (like his review lol) for his "intellect" and there for they are obviously "soooo terrible."
He literally automatically judged that you have no idea what good writing based only on your favorites.
Oh yeah, not to mention that he doesn't even talk about character development nor does he tries to actually understand why people even like these show because obviously "mainstream anime a shit and so doesn't need any understanding why people like this since they must be shit too."

I mean fuck even his name is screaming "I'M BERSERK ELITIST TRASH YO!" (like I have no problem with Berserk but it almost bother line looks like his screaming "I like berserk so I have great taste.")
LudwigoatFeb 4, 2019 6:33 AM
Feb 4, 2019 1:46 PM

Dec 2016
OG_Gattsu said:
Well Isekai’s are poorly written garbage. I wouldn’t expect you to know what good writing looks like considering you like Shield Hero and DiTF lmao

This comment is completely correct.
Feb 4, 2019 1:51 PM

Apr 2007
SSL443 said:
OG_Gattsu said:

Grats on making your opinion more worthless than it already was as you just admitted your own bias against Isekais.
Feb 4, 2019 1:56 PM

Dec 2016
Killuan said:
Grats on making your opinion more worthless than it already was as you just admitted your own bias against Isekais.

Why does the Isekai genre being filled with poor writing make me biased? And are you really implying that some people (yourself?) are without bias? Because that would be an ambitious statement, to say the least.
Feb 4, 2019 2:15 PM

Apr 2007
SSL443 said:
Killuan said:

Why does the Isekai genre being filled with poor writing make me biased? And are you really implying that some people (yourself?) are without bias? Because that would be an ambitious statement, to say the least.

Because Isekai is a genre; they range from great to terrible just like any other genre. To think otherwise is an implicit bias against the genre.

My bias does not matter because I don't comment on shows I don't enjoy. It clearly becomes an issue if you want to critically analyze an anime you were preemptively planning to dislike. Particularly if you expect anyone to take you seriously.

As for my bias? I'm not particularly fond of mecha anime and I have a fondness for tragic characters. I fully admit that bias, and I would never attempt to objectively review something I have a subjective bias against. Needless to say, i'm very open-minded with what I watch and I try to find the good in all anime. Particularly ones with a higher than expected rating. I'm often able to see things from a new perspective and rate the anime accordingly. I also try my best to watch what my current mood dictates. Otherwise I may underrate something that could have been more enjoyable at a later date.
KilluanFeb 4, 2019 2:19 PM
Feb 4, 2019 2:55 PM

Sep 2018
SSL443 said:

How can OG_Gattsu's comment be "completely correct" when it's all subjective? That reeks of confirmation bias, especially when you make a claim without any further elaboration.
Feb 4, 2019 4:21 PM

Nov 2011
SSL443 said:
OG_Gattsu said:

I really shouldn't fall the bait given that the person that you're responding to, was responding to me.

SSL443 said:
Killuan said:

That's a simple answer to give, everything in the other thread can now be written off as your blind dislike or even hatred for the genre. As you have come out and agreed with someone that said; 'isekais are poorly written garbage.'

Now on the topic of me, because I like Darling in the Franxx, I am able to say that there is flaws in it, for instance there was very rarely any moments where the merry band of parasites were ever really in danger of dying. And even in the moments where there was the chance, it had been well established from previous experiences that they will find a way to survive. Or the fact that it was made clear that other than Hiro and Zero Two, the others were hardly ever useful in battles. And lets not forget the fact that near the end of the show, they took all the world building that they had done up to that point, and threw it right out the window.

That's how you write a completely unbiased criticism against a show without letting your bias for or against said show/genre affecting your writing.
Feb 4, 2019 4:25 PM

Dec 2016
Demyx_IX said:
That's how you write a completely unbiased criticism against a show without letting your bias for or against said show/genre affecting your writing.

Thanks, I'm learning so much.
Feb 4, 2019 7:49 PM

Jul 2016
For #1, isn't it supposed to show that Raphtalia has gotten over her fears and anxieties? Isn't it supposed to show character development or something?
Feb 4, 2019 7:56 PM
Dec 2018
OG_Gattsu said:
Demyx_IX said:
Given that hardly any of the Isekais that you've completed have a rating higher than 5, one should take your opinion with a McDonald's sized serving of salt.

Dumb elitist. My definition of good writing is superior to yours (quite a sad loser you are).
Feb 4, 2019 8:30 PM

Dec 2016
StufedAnmalQueen said:
For #1, isn't it supposed to show that Raphtalia has gotten over her fears and anxieties? Isn't it supposed to show character development or something

It is a character development, but like so many things in this show, the execution is questionable.

Raphtalia's "transformation" and her developing bond with Naofumi is the kind of thing that would normally take some time, maybe even a full arc. Instead they crammed it into a couple of episodes, to the point where it feels like it happened overnight.
Feb 4, 2019 9:28 PM

Apr 2007
SSL443 said:

Raphtalia's "transformation" and her developing bond with Naofumi is the kind of thing that would normally take some time, maybe even a full arc. Instead they crammed it into a couple of episodes, to the point where it feels like it happened overnight.

Well it was in the span of a couple weeks and because Raphtalia artificially aged it also enhanced her cognitive abilities. But she hasn't really gotten over her trauma, she has just learned to cope with it because Naofumi is there for her and he gave her a purpose. To fight the waves so other children don't have to go through what she did. She did cry after the first wave because she still isn't completely over what happened.

As for her developing bond with Naofumi...it really wouldn't take long if you account for all the things he did for her. He did save her from the worst possible conditions; nurse her back to health; mitigate her panic attacks; comforts rather than berates her when she wets the bed; buys things she wants without being asked; prioritizes her safety in battle...He even gave her a goal to strive towards. Compound all of that and it's easy to see how she was able to bond so quickly with him. And this was her rebound from having multiple terrible masters who tortured her for pleasure. She thinks of him as a father in lieu of her deceased parents.
KilluanFeb 4, 2019 9:31 PM
Feb 4, 2019 10:18 PM

Dec 2016
Killuan said:
Well it was in the span of a couple weeks and because Raphtalia artificially aged it also enhanced her cognitive abilities. But she hasn't really gotten over her trauma, she has just learned to cope with it because Naofumi is there for her and he gave her a purpose. To fight the waves so other children don't have to go through what she did. She did cry after the first wave because she still isn't completely over what happened.

As for her developing bond with Naofumi...it really wouldn't take long if you account for all the things he did for her. He did save her from the worst possible conditions; nurse her back to health; mitigate her panic attacks; comforts rather than berates her when she wets the bed; buys things she wants without being asked; prioritizes her safety in battle...He even gave her a goal to strive towards. Compound all of that and it's easy to see how she was able to bond so quickly with him. And this was her rebound from having multiple terrible masters who tortured her for pleasure. She thinks of him as a father in lieu of her deceased parents.

It's all about the pacing. The in-world time-frame may or may not be realistic, but forcing it into such a small amount of screen time feels rushed. We have to get from Raphtalia being a traumatized kid who is viewed as nothing more than a tool by her owner to a Strong Female Protagonist capable of fighting wave enemies and acting independently. It's a lot of ground to cover emotionally and psychologically.
Feb 4, 2019 10:49 PM

May 2018
If you think the writing is bad now, just wait until later. Despite its poorly stitched plot, I was initially attracted to some of the hero's unorthodox role in and out of combat.

Harem is the opiate of the Anime fandom masses.
Feb 5, 2019 12:53 AM

Nov 2011

SSL443 said:
Killuan said:

It's all about the pacing. The in-world time-frame may or may not be realistic, but forcing it into such a small amount of screen time feels rushed. We have to get from Raphtalia being a traumatized kid who is viewed as nothing more than a tool by her owner to a Strong Female Protagonist capable of fighting wave enemies and acting independently. It's a lot of ground to cover emotionally and psychologically.

It feels rushed because you don't think the amount of time that takes place during an episode or between episodes is accurate.

The pacing is fine, the changes Raphtalia goes through barely register with Naofumi, as he still sees her as a 10 year old racoon girl up until she hugs him after the duel with Motoyasu. And seeing as the books are all based on his perspective, detailing such changes throughout that week would be pointless.
Feb 5, 2019 2:42 AM

Dec 2016
Demyx_IX said:
It feels rushed because you don't think the amount of time that takes place during an episode or between episodes is accurate.

You'll have to elaborate on this sentence because I have no clue what you're trying to say.

Demyx_IX said:
The pacing is fine, the changes Raphtalia goes through barely register with Naofumi, as he still sees her as a 10 year old racoon girl up until she hugs him after the duel with Motoyasu. And seeing as the books are all based on his perspective, detailing such changes throughout that week would be pointless.

She goes through huge changes as a character, not only over the period of a week, but a timeskip of a week that happens between episodes. Yet we as the audience are denied seeing this characterization which forms the basis of their relationship going forward. How is that not rushed pacing?

You say that the timeskip is acceptable because these changes barely register with Naofumi; yet WE see her as grown-up at the beginning of episode 3. How is that possible if our perception of the story is one and the same with his? I think you are pulling this excuse out of your ass, because it is not in any way consistent with the narrative queues that indicate when we are and are not seeing things through Naofumi's eyes. The sequence in episode 4 where she still looks 10 years old is clearly a product of his PERCEPTION, not just his PERSPECTIVE. The change in the soundtrack/SFX, the blanking out of the background and other characters, and so on, all indicate that the sequence is different from the normal audience perspective.

Even if Naofumi is oblivious, that is no excuse for the pacing to be rushed. The job of the story is to convey this information, while also doing to work of developing Raphtalia's character and her relationship with Naofumi. Failing to do so is

BAD WRITING!!! :O
Feb 5, 2019 3:18 AM
Jan 2019
Demyx_IX said:
She goes through huge changes as a character, not only over the period of a week, but a timeskip of a week that happens between episodes. Yet we as the audience are denied seeing this characterization which forms the basis of their relationship going forward. How is that not rushed pacing?

Because we have already seen every single pivotal moment of said characterization and are not missing anything else important. In fact, a timeskip makes total sense just to underscore how much Raftalia changed in the span of that week - something we might have missed if it was an episode a day or something.

You say that the timeskip is acceptable because these changes barely register with Naofumi; yet WE see her as grown-up at the beginning of episode 3. How is that possible if our perception of the story is one and the same with his?

Our perception of the story is not the same as Naofumi's. This is made quite a big point out of, where he specifically comments how everyone is a lolicon for hitting on Raftalia. Later on, this is made an actual explicit plot point in ep.4.
I think you are pulling this excuse out of your ass, because it is not in any way consistent with the narrative queues that indicate when we are and are not seeing things through Naofumi's eyes. The sequence in episode 4 where she still looks 10 years old is clearly a product of his PERCEPTION, not just his PERSPECTIVE. The change in the soundtrack/SFX, the blanking out of the background and other characters, and so on, all indicate that the sequence is different from the normal audience perspective.

I agree that Naofumi still perceived Raftalia as a child slave at that point. As in - was completely unable to process any information contrary to said perception.

Even if Naofumi is oblivious, that is no excuse for the pacing to be rushed. The job of the story is to convey this information, while also doing to work of developing Raphtalia's character and her relationship with Naofumi. Failing to do so is

BAD WRITING!!! :O

They didn't fail though?
I mean, do you have any actual questions about their relationship? Is anything actually unclear? Or are you just pulling failures out of thin air to justify your own
BAD CRITICISM!!! :O
Feb 5, 2019 3:38 AM

Dec 2016
malMaxi said:
Because we have already seen every single pivotal moment of said characterization and are not missing anything else important. In fact, a timeskip makes total sense just to underscore how much Raftalia changed in the span of that week - something we might have missed if it was an episode a day or something.

Aren't we? Again, it's about the pacing; lot's of change, little time. Not debating whether or not a timeskip is appropriate, my point is that in the context of the pacing a timeskip makes it even more abrupt.

malMaxi said:
Our perception of the story is not the same as Naofumi's. This is made quite a big point out of, where he specifically comments how everyone is a lolicon for hitting on Raftalia. Later on, this is made an actual explicit plot point in ep.4.

Why is everyone on this site so careless when it comes to reading the actual words in from of them? I never said it was the same, I responded to someone else who said it was.

malMaxi said:
They didn't fail though?
I mean, do you have any actual questions about their relationship? Is anything actually unclear? Or are you just pulling failures out of thin air to justify your own

No, I don't have "questions", nothing is "unclear". The problem is structuring this information into a compelling story. I can say "Naofumi was nice to Raphtalia, she was able to overcome her trauma and level up real good in a week"; that might be a good concept but what I've said isn't necessarily good storytelling. The way that this information is conveyed to the viewer is what makes for a good story. And I think that the way it was done in this anime was rushed and inadequate.

I'm just going to quote myself because I am sick of having to explain the same basic concepts ten different ways.

SSL443 said:

SSL443 said:

SSL443 said:
Feb 5, 2019 5:59 AM

Aug 2018
SSL443 said:
malMaxi said:

Aren't we? Again, it's about the pacing; lot's of change, little time. Not debating whether or not a timeskip is appropriate, my point is that in the context of the pacing a timeskip makes it even more abrupt.

malMaxi said:

Why is everyone on this site so careless when it comes to reading the actual words in from of them? I never said it was the same, I responded to someone else who said it was.

malMaxi said:
They didn't fail though?

No, I don't have "questions", nothing is "unclear". The problem is structuring this information into a compelling story. I can say "Naofumi was nice to Raphtalia, she was able to overcome her trauma and level up real good in a week"; that might be a good concept but what I've said isn't necessarily good storytelling. The way that this information is conveyed to the viewer is what makes for a good story. And I think that the way it was done in this anime was rushed and inadequate.

I'm just going to quote myself because I am sick of having to explain the same basic concepts ten different ways.

SSL443 said:

SSL443 said:

SSL443 said:

Yeah I kinda agree with you with the pacing of the anime but that's not really that important. But hey a major development happened so we should be happy for that and as the story progresses it will become more interesting.
Feb 5, 2019 6:21 AM

Aug 2018
Kamiyan3991 said:
OK, so far we had 3 eps and that amount of bullshit/terrible writing deserves its own thread, no kidding. I'm lazy so I'll only post some bs from episode 3, spoiler ahead.

I've posted some examples only from episode 3. This writing actually doesn't make sense from the beginning.
TBH, I'm almost impressed by all of this. I never thought you could write so bad and get away with it. I mean, this is apparently #1 show this season.

Update!
I've posted some quote that appears to be on point.

Ariavartan said:
I must say- the show is full of plot holes. Two big ones I can't even pretend to not exist
-The whole Naofumi not being able to use any other weapon is a pretty giant one considering we have seen many times using stuff that can be used offensively, like the pickass in 2 and maze in 3. What does it really mean by not being able to wield any other weapon? That he can't wield it while intenting it to be used for killng? Or just any weapon that can be used offensively?
-I spoilered myself and got to know how she grew however that leads to another plot hole-how did her parents who must be at very high level lose against a dog when she was shown to mow down entire armies her self? Can demi humans grow up normally without leveling too?

Your thoughts?

My thoughts on your review

1.) In episode 4 Raphtalia explained why demi humans grow faster based on their levels, but the rule for normal aging also applies to them but mentally. Raphtalia's development is like Raphtalia before Wave 1 (Where her parents were killed) she now shows her true behavior because she trusts Naofumi.

2.) That country is matriarchal so racism is legal nobles treat demi humans as trash.

3.) I don't agree with you in that, for me it's really cool because it's like you're in an MMORPG Raid but not your typical RPG when you die you die permanently.

4.) Because the Shield hero is supposed to be SATAN in that country. If you watched episode 1-3 carefully and understanding each episode there were scenes that mentioned the Shield Hero is the hero for Demi Humans and there was a sign in that inn say's "We don't serve to demi humans" and lastly when Naofumi saw demi human slaves in the street. If you analyze it carefully you get "Shield Hero is the hero for demi humans which is bad for us because we can't afford to have Demi Humans their own hero to protect them which leads to Rebellion of the Shield hero in the kingdom". Just think deeply and you will get that in just seeing the hints. Criticizing the writing of the show is just unfair for the author when you don't even read the novel and understand it thoroughly.

5.) Yeah I agree with you in that but they are zombies they have no brains so they will react to the loudest or the most flashy things in there like the bell.

6.) Actually if you put yourself in the citizens or the 3 heroes' POV you will find yourself detesting Naofumi of what he have done to that girl because you don't know the truth because the king said guilty to Naofumi. As audience you need to put yourself in their POV to understand their thoughts even if its a side character or Mob. I think this is really creative in the side of the author because it lets you interact with the characters even if it's a normal citizen or Naofumi.
Feb 5, 2019 6:52 AM

Nov 2011
SSL443 said:
malMaxi said:

malMaxi said:

malMaxi said:
They didn't fail though?

SSL443 said:

SSL443 said:

SSL443 said:
This is why hardly anyone actually agrees with you or defends your criticism when people point out that you are just repeating yourself over and over again.
Feb 5, 2019 8:55 AM

Dec 2016
Demyx_IX said:
This is why hardly anyone actually agrees with you or defends your criticism when people point out that you are just repeating yourself over and over again.

I repeat myself because people either ignore my supporting evidence or else make such a nonsensical counterargument that the discussion doesn't advance in any meaningful way.

Just look at the guy I replied to above. I explained exactly how the show failed in the bold text, but he just went right ahead and ignores all of that.
Feb 5, 2019 9:21 AM

Jul 2015
SSL443 said:
Demyx_IX said:

I repeat myself because people either ignore my supporting evidence or else make such a nonsensical counterargument that the discussion doesn't advance in any meaningful way.

Just look at the guy I replied to above. I explained exactly how the show failed in the bold text, but he just went right ahead and ignores all of that.

About your post on Raphtalia's development, you would have to assume some time has passed since she first met Naofumi, which is why she developed so much. Her bond with Naofumi also factored into this also.

Nov 2011
SSL443 said:
Demyx_IX said:

Here's a crazy and off the wall idea; reword it so that people can get a better idea of what you're saying instead of ctrl+c ctrl+v
Aug 2018
F*** sake just enjoy the show. We 4 episodes in and ya’ll trynna act like ya’ll some high class people who demands answers impatiently. we have 21 episodes to go ffs. If you have so many complaints just stop watching. Simple as that. I wont mention any names in this thread but quite literally, pay attention to the anime before you criticise damn.
especially Raphtalia aging fast bc in the anime she mentions she ages along with her level. bloody hell this people XDDD not even salty. just stating facts.
Feb 5, 2019 9:30 AM

Dec 2016
Demyx_IX said:
Here's a crazy and off the wall idea; reword it so that people can get a better idea of what you're saying instead of ctrl+c ctrl+v

Tried that, might as well have been talking to said wall.
domskieeee said:
F*** sake just enjoy the show. We 4 episodes in and ya’ll trynna act like ya’ll some high class people who demands answers impatiently. we have 21 episodes to go ffs. If you have so many complaints just stop watching. Simple as that. I wont mention any names in this thread but quite literally, pay attention to the anime before you criticise damn.
especially Raphtalia aging fast bc in the anime she mentions she ages along with her level. bloody hell this people XDDD not even salty. just stating facts.

Or maybe I will keep watching because I want to keep watching. Why the hell should I stop watching just because people get triggered by reading criticism of a show they like?

Getting triggered by online comments is the kind of thing mal-adjusted teenagers do.
Feb 5, 2019 9:34 AM

May 2016
SSL443 said:
Demyx_IX said:

Tried that, might as well have been talking to said wall.
domskieeee said:

Or maybe I will keep watching because I want to keep watching. Why the hell should I stop watching just because people get triggered by reading criticism of a show they like?

Getting triggered by online comments is the kind of thing mal-adjusted teenagers do.
because all you do is troll on these forums how much you hate it? Go away
Feb 5, 2019 9:34 AM
Mar 2016
thread made by attention seeker
and full "(idc about you) opinion" by attention seeker lol

so still any elititist who always critics about a work
can i ask you mr elitist do you ever meet a perfect work according your taste?
i bet the answer definitely not
if you say "(some work) is perfect for me", haters for your lovely work always exist
so after all life is choice
Be Attention Seeker, badmouth all work OR Try to Understand and if still cant understand then Ignore it
Feb 5, 2019 9:42 AM

Apr 2007
@SSL443 Your dropped list literally has some of the best anime this medium has to offer. What do you even find appealing in an anime? I don't get it.

Besides being a ghibli fanboy I don't see the link between the anime you give extremely low scores to and the anime you think are worthy of a high score.
KilluanFeb 5, 2019 9:47 AM
Feb 5, 2019 9:49 AM

Dec 2016
Sorakaa said:
because all you do is troll on these forums how much you hate it? Go away

Make me?

Killuan said:
@SSL443 Your dropped list literally has some of the best anime this medium has to offer. What do you even find appealing in an anime? I don't get it.

Besides being a ghibli fanboy I don't see the link between the anime you give extremely low scores to and the anime you think are worthy of a high score.

Ah yes, had to edit your comment after finding some supposed flaw in my viewing habits. Anything to take down the evil anime hater, am I right?
Feb 5, 2019 9:49 AM

Feb 2015
I'm a fan of the isekai genre/setting/theme(?), but this is indeed the worst I've watched so far. I think I'm pretty forgiving with most of the BS isekai tends to do, just because I like the concept of them, but this is one I couldn't continue watching.
Feb 5, 2019 9:53 AM

Jul 2015
Milennin said:
I'm a fan of the isekai genre/setting/theme(?), but this is indeed the worst I've watched so far. I think I'm pretty forgiving with most of the BS isekai tends to do, just because I like the concept of them, but this is one I couldn't continue watching.

How is it the worst and what problems did you have with it?
Feb 5, 2019 9:59 AM

Apr 2007
Milennin said:

Milennin said:
Was hoping his edgy side was going to stay around for a little longer, but still liked this episode. Couldn't stop thinking how funny it'd have been if that slave kid had died on the spot right after he bought it. Who in their right mind would spend all their money on a sick slave with mental disorder, lol. At least she turned out to be pretty good.

yo bro, wth? That's the same eps you dropped it on.
KilluanFeb 5, 2019 10:06 AM
Feb 5, 2019 9:59 AM
Dec 2014
Milennin said:

There's a lot far worse isekai there like smart phone or maybe SAO. Are you actually saying this is worst than those two? If yes, then I can't really take your opinion seriously.
Feb 5, 2019 10:04 AM

Feb 2015
terminador_2397 said:
Milennin said:

I should probably do a blog post about this, because I feel it could get long. But to try to keep it short:

I disliked how it skimmed over all the character development between MC and sidekick in episode 2. What could have been made into several good, interesting episodes of them warming up to each other through trials and hardships, it's all shoved into a single episode instead.
So, I dropped it the moment the sidekick (forgot her name) shoves the sword in the MC's face in the beginning of episode 3. Not only did she physically grow 10 years older from one episode to the other without any notice, she also turned from a shy, timid girl into a complete bitch. Literally, WTF happened, and why has the MC such a "IDGAF" attitude towards her being a bitch? She's a slave, lol.

My friend explained that the reason she grew is because she levelled up and that it gets explained -later-, but that still makes no sense. She levelled up in episode 2 without anything happening to her physically. They wasted an entire episode on establishing a character, only to throw that character out of the window in the next episode and pull new rules out of their asses as an excuse to replace her with an entirely new character. There's no point in watching when the creator doesn't respect their own characters and doesn't respect my time as a watcher, because I had to sit through an episode about a character that gets literally written out in the next one.
On a personal note, the sidekick's cuteness was the only thing she had going for her in episode 2. It was literally the only thing that was nice about her, and they made her a dislikeable bitch instead in episode 3. No, thanks, lol.
Feb 5, 2019 10:09 AM

Dec 2016
Milennin said:
I should probably do a blog post about this, because I feel it could get long. But to try to keep it short:

I disliked how it skimmed over all the character development between MC and sidekick in episode 2. What could have been made into several good, interesting episodes of them warming up to each other through trials and hardships, it's all shoved into a single episode instead.
So, I dropped it the moment the sidekick (forgot her name) shoves the sword in the MC's face in the beginning of episode 3. Not only did she physically grow 10 years older from one episode to the other without any notice, she also turned from a shy, timid girl into a complete bitch. Literally, WTF happened, and why has the MC such a "IDGAF" attitude towards her being a bitch? She's a slave, lol.

Come on man, @Demyx_IX already explained that they skimmed over stuff because it would have been pointless to show any more. Clearly the story was told from Naofumi's perspective and he didn't notice that she had grown up so there was no reason to show the audience this process in detail either. Clearly you don't understand how good the writing in this show is, if you did you wouldn't make such outrageous claims and be so angry. Why even watch something if you don't like it!!!
Feb 5, 2019 10:11 AM
Dec 2014
Milennin said:
terminador_2397 said:

My friend explained that the reason she grew is because she levelled up and that it gets explained -later-, but that still makes no sense. She levelled up in episode 2 without anything happening to her physically. They wasted an entire episode on establishing a character, only to throw that character out of the window in the next episode and pull new rules out of their asses as an excuse to replace her with an entirely new character. There's no point in watching when the creator doesn't respect their own characters and doesn't respect my time as a watcher, because I had to sit through an episode about a character that gets literally written out in the next one.
On a personal note, the sidekick's cuteness was the only thing she had going for her in episode 2. It was literally the only thing that was nice about her, and they made her a dislikeable bitch instead in episode 3. No, thanks, lol.

I kinda agree with this. The anime really rushed things. I imagine even anime-only viewers can see that they skipped a lot of stuff.
Feb 5, 2019 10:13 AM

Apr 2007
Milennin said:
terminador_2397 said:

Kinda sounds like you dropped it cause you miss the loli. Sounds like you enjoyed it right up until a single scene turned you off from it and you nixed it like 4 points because of that and then dropped it. Sound about right? The MC doesn't want a slave, he wants a partner he can trust. He just used the seal to make her fight, he doesn't mind if she's outspoken. As long as she's fighting it's beneficial for the both of them if she has a mind of her own. She wasn't even being a bitch, she was just making a point that Naofumi needed some armor because he just recently got hurt. Her point made sense, so Naofumi went with it.

As for the second point. It makes perfect sense because she was already 10 years old. She wouldn't get noticeably larger until she was lvl 11+ and even then it wouldn't be very noticeable until after she gained a few more levels than that. Episode two was exposition for episode three where Naofumi finally gets the partner he needed in the first place.

I'm not one to throw around the sexist label, but damn man. There is nothing in episode 3 (and ESPECIALLY episode 4; too bad you never made it that far) to make her out to be a bitch. She cares about the MC and was just a little sassy during that scene.

Feb 5, 2019 10:17 AM

Jul 2015
Milennin said:
terminador_2397 said:

He doesn't treat her like a slave though, and They had more character development from episode up until now. I don't get how Raphtalia is unlikeble also, she gained courage in herself as a result of working with Naofumi. Also his attitude comes from what happened in episode 1 and that one false accusation combined with another issue has put him down in the dumps. The man was dealing with a lot so of course he would be like that. When Naofumi levels up, she levels up also. All your issues with Raphtalia should be directed at the princess since she's part of the reason these events played out the way they did.
Feb 5, 2019 10:27 AM

May 2016
Milennin said:
terminador_2397 said:

Wow. Probably the worst reasons to dislike the show.

Because everything wasn't explained in 1 episode I'm gonna drop it. Clown.

Also fuck you, raphtalia is God damn amazing.
Feb 5, 2019 10:33 AM

Feb 2015
Killuan said:
Milennin said:

Kinda sounds like you dropped it cause you miss the loli. Sounds like you enjoyed it right up until a single scene turned you off from it and you nixed it like 4 points because of that and then dropped it. Sound about right? The MC doesn't want a slave, he wants a partner he can trust. He just used the seal to make her fight, he doesn't mind if she's outspoken. As long as she's fighting it's beneficial for the both of them if she has a mind of her own. She wasn't even being a bitch, she was just making a point that Naofumi needed some armor because he just recently got hurt. Her point made sense, so Naofumi went with it.

As for the second point. It makes perfect sense because she was already 10 years old. She wouldn't get noticeably larger until she was lvl 11+ and even then it wouldn't be very noticeable until after she gained a few more levels than that. Episode two was exposition for episode three where Naofumi finally gets the partner he needed in the first place.

I'm not one to throw around the sexist label, but damn man. There is nothing in episode 3 (and ESPECIALLY episode 4; too bad you never made it that far) to make her out to be a bitch. She cares about the MC and was just a little sassy during that scene.

Actually, I'd preferred the MC to stay solo. It doesn't even make sense he bought her as a slave, because:
1. she was sick.
2. she was mentally unstable.
3. she looked weak and like she could die any moment.
4. she's a girl.

But if the anime gives us a character, I'd prefer that character to stay that character, unless there's been a good reason for them to develop and change. If they change a character from one episode to the next without notice, that's not okay.
And how is she not a bitch when she points a blade in the face of the guy who saved her from a cage and treats her well? She comes over as a completely spoiled brat, but that doesn't make sense either, because the MC mentions lolicons in that very same scene to the shopkeeper and makes it seem he disapproves of those type of people. He wouldn't have spoiled her to the point she became like this. To me, it seems the writer has no clue what kind of character he wants the girl to be like.
Feb 5, 2019 10:36 AM

Dec 2016
Sorakaa said:
Because everything wasn't explained in 1 episode

No one wants everything explained in the first episode. They want for the plot to make sense.
Feb 5, 2019 10:41 AM

Jul 2015
Milennin said:
Killuan said:

Actually, I'd preferred the MC to stay solo. It doesn't even make sense he bought her as a slave, because:
1. she was sick.
4. she's a girl.

But if the anime gives us a character, I'd prefer that character to stay that character, unless there's been a good reason for them to develop and change. If they change a character from one episode to the next without notice, that's not okay.
And how is she not a bitch when she points a blade in the face of the guy who saved her from a cage and treats her well? She comes over as a completely spoiled brat, but that doesn't make sense either, because the MC mentions lolicons in that very same scene to the shopkeeper and makes it seem he disapproves of those type of people. He wouldn't have spoiled her to the point she became like this. To me, it seems the writer has no clue what kind of character he wants the girl to be like.

Episode 4 made it clear she is going to be strong support for him, and grow more in her own way.
Feb 5, 2019 10:42 AM

Jul 2015
SSL443 said:
Sorakaa said:
Because everything wasn't explained in 1 episode

No one wants everything explained in the first episode. They want for the plot to make sense.

There is still 21-22 episodes left for stuff to be explained.
Feb 5, 2019 10:46 AM

Dec 2016
terminador_2397 said:

I'm facepalming right now, congrats.
Feb 5, 2019 10:52 AM

Sep 2018
SSL443 said:
terminador_2397 said:

I'm facepalming right now, congrats.

Cool non-argument.
Feb 5, 2019 10:54 AM

Apr 2007
Milennin said:
Killuan said:

1. she was sick.
4. she's a girl.

It makes sense because:
1.) He was convicted of rape and no one would party with him
2.) At this point he had severe trust issues
3.) He had 40 silver to his name
4.) Raphtalia was one of the four slaves he could afford.
5.) Naofumi knew he could cure her sickness and would likely be the easiest to use.
6.) After his anger subsided a bit he realized Raphtalia had a worse life than he did, so he started to treat her better.
7.) Who cares if she's a girl? It's fiction there is no rule stating men are stronger than women in fantasy. Often times it's the opposite.
8.) Naofumi could not fight on his own because he's the shield hero and that's why he needed a partner in the first place.

There was a good reason. This anime is about revenge and fighting the waves. As well as the wholesome relationship between Raphtalia and Naofumi (and their other companions down the line) -- Raphtalia can not be his equal as a child, nor would it make sense for her to be a badasss in battle if she were a child. This isn't a relationship between a slave and his master, it's a relationship of two people who find solace in each others company who also happen to have a similar goal. Not to mention that's just how demi-humans are in this world setting. That's why they're enslaved and have the same legal standing as monsters.

She didn't point a blade to his face...You must have turned the anime off before you actually saw the distance between the two while Raphtalia was holding the blade. Raphtalia is very grateful to Naofumi and if you actually gave it until episode 4 you would see to what degree. The thing about Naofumi referring to the town as a bunch of lolicons is also explained in episode four. Honestly, a lot of your issues with this anime are explained in episode four.

KilluanFeb 5, 2019 11:10 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (10) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2019

402 by MaauFe »»
May 20, 4:42 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2019

546 by ridly »»
May 6, 7:00 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2019

243 by ridly »»
May 6, 6:22 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2019

271 by Der_Body »»
Apr 26, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2019

169 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 26, 8:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.