Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 12, 2022 9:46 PM

May 2019
That was really such a psychological mindfuck episode about Ataru's mom desires told through dreams. Really amazing episode considering it's actually a filler.

Jul 13, 2022 1:47 PM
Jan 2021
Complete waste of an episode that ended up just pissing me off by having no resolution. It baits you and leads you on thinking it's building up to something great but like a lot of other episodes completely drops the ball and falls apart at the very end. Doesn't surprise me in the least to read Oshii wrote this one. Characters sitting around speaking pseudo-intellectual drivel and a bunch of surreal BS happening doesn't mean much when you can't complete the thought and leave the ending up in the air. I couldn't stand his Patlabor films, Beautiful Dreamer felt incoherent and irrelevant to the show, and now I come upon this episode which is just more of the same.
Sep 26, 2022 2:10 PM

Aug 2017
Great episode and an awesome new opening! I feel like it might have partly inspired "Moonlght Densetsu"
Oct 3, 2022 3:49 PM
Jun 2011
I think this might be the fist "okay" episode in a while. On one hand, it was nice to have an episode around Ataru's mom since I don't think we've had that happen yet. However, the dream sequence started getting a bit scattered by the end of it. All in all, okay, but thats about it. Here's hoping the next episode's a good one!
Nov 3, 2022 12:38 PM

Jul 2022
It was okay at first
Dec 10, 2022 4:19 PM

Nov 2016
Finally a new opening. Gave me some Sailor Moon vibes and the ending of this episode was on some Eva shit.

I'm a fan of Ataru's mom since the beginning and this episode exploring her "midlife crisis" was hilariously brilliant. The super super sale wrestling was merely just another noon in her life compared to the insanity that followed.

5/5

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 18, 2023 5:19 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
What an insane episode to change the OP and ED with lol, they were both very good both visually and musically, it feels weird for the OP to change since it’s been the same since the beginning until now but it’s a welcome change. But this episode was really good, Ataru’s mom going through crazy dream sequences on loop after seeing a bit of her POV at the beginning of the episode was super interesting, so many cool scenes and also horrific ones, like some really good psychological horror which I’m a big fan of.

The ending bit seemed like a reference to the classic “War of the Worlds” with those alien machines that looked like tripods which I’m also a big fan of, both the musical and different iterations of the story, and then ending on a confusing note, but my guess is either that little girl was the one having the dream, or it’s a young version of Ataru’s mom. Either way, really loved this one and I think it’s one of my favorites episodes so far.
Aug 2, 2023 9:32 PM
May 2023
What a strange episode. They really let Oshii run wild in this episode as there's little Takahashi influence in this episode. Regardless, I still recommend viewers to watch this episode to form their own opinion on this experimental episode and I think many Oshii fans will likely enjoy this episode. This episode is also most unlikely to come back in the 2022 adaptation due to how non-existent Takahashi influence it had.
Oct 23, 2023 1:08 PM

May 2023
This episode felt like animated poetry. And as a poem, it doesn't always have to be "clear" - I liked that it ended without giving any explanation. It reminded me of "Paprika", with its dreamy atmosphere and its psychological references.

Thanks to some unconventional episodes like this, this series really surpassed my expectations!
Oct 31, 2023 7:37 PM

Jun 2023
...Huh.

Y'know, these more recent serious episodes are great, in a vaccum. But, it does feel more and more like Mamoru Ooshi's influence is starting to make the anime drift further and further from the tone of the source material, which I'm not sure how I feel about.
Jan 18, 7:15 PM
May 2019
Loved this one, nice to see that Mrs. Moriboshi is more than just a gag character. Really like that we never got an answer to everything. A few of these episodes recently have kinda felt like someone had a cool idea for a shortfilm, and they used Urusei Yatsura as the medium.
Feb 13, 5:19 PM

Nov 2023
By far the best episode so far, feels perfect in almost every way. I wish the show had more weird and interesting ideas that get executed to this level of insanity.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura Episode 189 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Jan 23, 2017

8 by roquefort »»
Sep 3, 4:38 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura Episode 25 Discussion

greenmarty - Mar 18, 2012

13 by Cupcakeants »»
Aug 14, 10:35 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura Episode 157 Discussion

greenmarty - Apr 10, 2012

16 by roquefort »»
Aug 13, 3:14 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura Episode 12 Discussion

animefan8800 - Dec 24, 2015

8 by ItsXolo »»
Jul 24, 10:54 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura Episode 8 Discussion

Fronzel - Sep 11, 2014

9 by ItsXolo »»
Jul 23, 1:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.