Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Mar 25, 2014 9:59 PM

Feb 2013
Is hated because it deserves to be hated.

Mar 26, 2014 2:21 PM

Aug 2013
Dropped it after I watched episode 5. The MC was pissing me off and so was that one girl. See, I can't even remember her name....
Mar 27, 2014 7:38 AM

Apr 2010
So finally after meaning do it for years now I just finished rewatching the show for the second time after over four and a half years.

I thought my opinions could change being that this time around I knew what was coming but for they most part they didn't.

It really is a good show, a very unique one of a kind show that had the balls to do something different.

The two reasons it gets so much hate is the character of Makoto and the ending violence.

What people don't seem to realise is that were supposed to hate Makoto, he starts off a nice guy, gets frustrated with how his girlfriend acts when he kisses or hugs her and then takes to Sekei who isn't tiresome and who puts out.

They make it clear that Makoto doesn't care about the girl just the sex and that is the case with many men.

He beats around the bush and leads girls on because he doesn't have the balls to say anything to their face, he's a scumbag, he says so himself.

The anime is about the consequences of his actions.

I'd guess a lot of young girls watched this expecting a cliché school/harem/romance like Toradora and then hated the fact that the anime tricked you.

You expected a pleasant show and it starts off that way and then it takes a real dark turn.

Now either people like that or not. I liked it because it was an unexpected surprise.

If it was made clear going into it that it was going to be violent like Higurashi then it would have certainly have received a much better response than it has.
scababMar 27, 2014 7:46 AM
Mar 27, 2014 1:05 PM

Jun 2012
scabab said:
If it was made clear going into it that it was going to be violent like Higurashi then it would have certainly have received a much better response than it has.

That's how you ruin it. The entire purpose was to be a surprise like the VN was.
Mar 27, 2014 8:40 PM

Apr 2010
Exactly that's why it was great. I was lucky that I first watched it not knowing how it ended and expected a typical forgetable harem that I'd watch for a few days.

So when it took a different turn, I had a feeling something was going to happen so I couldn't stop watching it but the ending was still a shock.

Like I said if the show started with one of the girls standing there, looking crazed with a bloody knife in hand and then cut to 2 months earlier then people would have known what they were getting into but then the ending just wouldn't have been the same because you'd know it was coming.
Mar 30, 2014 4:06 PM

Nov 2013
Akamitsu said:
It's fucked up.

That's why.
Apr 1, 2014 11:15 AM

May 2012
I enjoyed watching this because it feels different that those other romance anime that always have happy ending. Aren't people bored from watching the same shit over and over again
Jun 16, 2014 8:56 AM

Oct 2013
I str8 up found it boring lol but the ending man, woah! You dont get that in harem animes and thats what I loved about it. I didnt watych the whole thing tbh coz I got bored. I just skipped the next 4 episodes till the last 2 n that shit shocked me lol very disturbing.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Jun 17, 2014 7:19 PM

Jan 2014
Reason/s?
Main:
it is hated because on how things are going so smoothly in the beginning and in the half-way it suddenly began to fall apart, then turned into a f*cking train-wreck...

there are so many things on the story how people grew to hate it...I only pointed out the ones i saw the most possible...

and...

Sex Addict runs in the family...same as Makoto to his Father to his half-siblings and other relatives

you'll be the judge of this damming photo...

but seriously i gave it a 10/10,

because this is the only Harem anime series you get
to see that kind of ending like @daAmazinFatB0y said:
daAmazinFatB0y said:
I str8 up found it boring lol but the ending man, woah! You dont get that in harem animes and thats what I loved about it. I didnt watych the whole thing tbh coz I got bored. I just skipped the next 4 episodes till the last 2 n that shit shocked me lol very disturbing.

peace guys :)
DeadZeroSourceJul 14, 2014 1:40 PM
Got something to live for, I know that I won't surrender,
A warrior of youth,
I'm taking over, a shot to the new world order
I Am Bulletproof. . .

Jul 6, 2014 2:07 PM

Jan 2013
What's to like about it?
Jul 10, 2014 5:04 PM
Apr 2014
Just finished watching. From the start i thought it would be more harem like anime due to the girls on the cover but as the anime went on i could tell something bad was gonna happen at the end. Although it ends in a somewhat dramatic end i think it was predictable for the reason that they did give hints on what was to happen to him and the way it would happen. For the most part i think ot was good i give it a 10 for how well it got its point accross in the end. Though a bit creepy and weird i liked it though it frightened me. Although i would have wished for a different ending it makes us reflect on our decision in life and how we chose to live and see others.
Jul 10, 2014 10:41 PM

Aug 2012
scabab said:
I see alot of people put it down and i think its mostly due to the ending

Correction: The reason people don't put it down further is because of the ending. The ending was the best thing about this series in my opinion. One of the best endings to an anime I've ever seen, quite honestly.

This series is infamous for a few reasons: the first reason is because it has the biggest asshole in anime history. The second reason is because it has a bunch of girls who feel so low about themselves that they would actually have sex with the biggest asshole in anime history.

That is the reason I hate this anime so much. Awesome ending, terrible characters, horrible plotline.

(This is all in my perspective BTW)
Jul 15, 2014 4:08 AM

Oct 2012
To me changing the tone/mood too much (pretty much a 180º turn) all of the sudden is bad writing, I hated that. I enjoyed the ending, but they didn't lead to It properly and the rest of the story simply isn't good, for example... multiple females being attracted to the same guy for pretty much no reason isn't believable, to me this shows how superficial this anime is. I've seen some people giving It deep analysis, which actually makes It seem better and I usually disagree with them because I think the author never intended to make It a deep anime that reflected the reality.

I enjoyed School Days as a lover of cheesy cinema (heck, I watch the japanese spider man... yeah, It exists! And It's a tokusatsu.) and not because It's good.
Jul 23, 2014 1:27 PM

Apr 2014
I just didn't really get interested in it like there wasn't any element that made me look forward to the next episode. Also I didn't really have a favourite character (which is basically the reason I usually keep watching an anime) and then the ending... I really disliked it... Don't know what else I can say, just no. It just wasn't for me I guess.
Jul 23, 2014 2:00 PM

Mar 2014
I don't hate it, but all the characters were soo annoying.
Jul 23, 2014 2:04 PM
Jan 2014
Because the characters are so easy to hate. The only decent person in the whole show was Kotonoha. I liked the ending though. If the characters were more likeable I would have given it a 6 or 7.
Jul 24, 2014 3:34 AM

Apr 2014
I actually liked the story-line and the events within the characters. I reckon the reason why School Days is 'hated/disliked' is because of the ending. Even though there are different endings (whether its Kotonoha or Sekai), at least one of the die or get injured. Out of all endings, is there actually a happy one??
Jul 24, 2014 6:40 PM
Mar 2013
The reason everybody hates it is because literally every single character in the show is either a f*cking asshole, or completely retarded.

This being said, since it is the only anime to genuinely make me pissed off, I gave it an eight.
Aug 11, 2014 9:43 AM

Dec 2010
I don't understand the hate, this is the one anime where the love triangle makes sense and isn't some stupid ploy by a show to make things more "dramatic".

Most romance anime have these contrived love triangles that only exist to create friction etc. In this anime the triangle made sense and the show was just a really good drama with a satisfying ending. IMO

This is prolly the only anime with a love triangle that didn't piss me off.
Mar 19, 2015 7:36 PM

Apr 2010
People are too used to countless sugary kawaii anime so much that when something likes this comes around and is actually unique it frightens them.
scababMar 26, 2015 1:56 AM
Apr 7, 2015 3:04 PM
Apr 2015
Dunno i mean like it's not a bad anime just most of the anime watcher "nned" a happy ending or something like that and i mean like yeah its hard but its interesting because they did something new and i enjoyed it yea that sounds weird but i would give it
8.5/10
Apr 7, 2015 3:05 PM
Apr 2015
gissellebatista said:
Is hated because it deserves to be hated.

xDDDD
Apr 10, 2015 11:47 PM
Jul 2013
this is a masterpiece its a brave anime

unlike scaredy cat other harem anime show who sucks up to the audience
Apr 28, 2015 1:20 PM

Mar 2014
It's an over exaggeration of realism of aspects in life that can be frustrating as shit to deal with. The girls are retarded. I only kinda liked Kotonoha I guess. I used to like Setsuna until she became a boring stoic stalker who gives up the vagina for a half assed and shitty reason. Oh and I will never tolerate fans who applaud Makoto for being brutally murdered for cheating with women who wanted the penis yet his friend who forces himself on Katsura gets a free pass and nothing happens
Apr 28, 2015 1:38 PM

Nov 2014
biitchstick said:
People probably hate the characters so much because they are so realistic.

Yeahh.. I personally loved it though. In my mind it was a parody/deconstruction of the harem 'genre' and for me the ending wasn't really a surprise. I personally think that people look at Makoto and think douchbag and the girls are all dumbasses and the ending was terrible, surprising, and waay more bloody then expected din a show like that... I just think that that was the point of the show and when you watch other cliched ecchi, romance, harem shows, School Days basically has the same characters and plot only completely overexagerattes and adds a but more 'realism' to it. And the ending was just making fun of the whole thing. Like "HA! See, I bet you weren't expecting that!." And, how most other harems don't usually have a real ending unless the MC gets with the obvious choice, instead School Days makes a completely conclusive ending and basically does the opposite. It was risky and original. But, I don't know, maybe I'm the idiot, but I've always thought there was more to it then that like how Madoka Magica and NGE are both 'deconstructions' I'd put School Days in the same basic category only for a differnent genre and I think the show was done perfectly... Although, this might make a lot of people hate me buut.. Whatever
Apr 28, 2015 1:40 PM

Apr 2013
Because it's shit and Makoto is an asshole. Simple.
May 10, 2015 3:34 PM
May 2015
I keep seeing the jealousy argument, which I don't get. There are plenty of anime where the central male character has an arsenal of women he can hook up with (it's pretty much a common trope) and people don't hate on those.

The characters were all around unlikable with Makoto being the worst of them. I had trouble putting up with this series but I forced my way through it on the insistence of a friend. I did not particularly like the anime from an art standpoint either.

The ending was fine to me, but full disclosure, it had been hinted to me in advance way too much thanks to the internet. It might have been kind of cool to experience it out of nowhere.
May 10, 2015 3:38 PM

Dec 2012
Because the characters are fucking atrocious, at least that's why I hated it.
May 11, 2015 10:08 AM
Apr 2015
TheGrandSage23 said:
I used to like Setsuna until she became a boring stoic stalker who gives up the vagina for a half assed and shitty reason.

I know I am just quoting a random old post, although i'm doing so it express my confusion about this topic, and this is not even the most exemplary case. Anyways, I always see this moment of Setsuna's character talked about as one of the most absurd and nonsensical moments of the series and one that most break the realism, because "how could one be so retarded to follow the logic that I will make you betray your girlfriend with me in exchange for you not betraying your girlfriend with other people later". What I don't understand is how people believe what Setsuna is explicitly saying in this moment, as the series up until this moment has heavily hinted that she likes Makoto, and then the last episode in the chair-changing flashback explicitly informs us that she loved Makoto. Tis is just what she tells herself and Makoto to justify the action, the explicit reason that hides that the real reason is that she want to have the cake and eat it too by having sex with him, the person who he loves, but rationalize that this is a selfless action for her friend because it would be working toward the goal of "making Makoto her loyal boyfriend". She is conflicted about wanting to have him but knowing that this would be egotistical and would, for a moment of pleasure, ruin the future life of her bf; or leaving without fullfilling her love and being loyal to her bf.
I don't see why people take this situation and turn into a caricature of what is really happening saying that Setsuna is a stupid character who will sleep with Makoto so that he could stop sleeping with Sekai. Why do people believe her? It's no that subtle... And what amazes me is that almost everyone see through Sekai's lies about the whole "practice" thing, and I question why is it so easy to spot Sekai's fraud as a way to deal with her conflicting thoughts about Makoto and people don't do the same with Setsuna just because it is a little more subtle. Oh well. I don't understand this criticism.
The glorious end of my post
May 11, 2015 10:16 AM

May 2012
The mc fucked everyone without getting an std
save all the cute girls from ntr manga
May 14, 2015 7:56 AM

Mar 2015
School days is a master piece anime!!
May 26, 2015 7:56 AM

Jan 2015
So first i am trying to figure out why so many people think the reason this anime is "hated" is because of the ending when from most of the posts here and for me its the only good part of the anime. So lets break it down why it gets a 6/10 for me

1. Start with its only saving aspect. I loved the ending and if it wasnt for the fact that i knew something big was going to happen at the end i would have dropped this after the second episode. The ending for me was enough to boost it up by 4 points and change it from a 2 to a 6 for me. If Makoto's friend had been killed as well it would have boosted it another point or 2. So my score for the ending is - 4

2. The characters and their development was terrible, it never gave me the chance to buy into a single character to root for. They all seemed rushed and like they were being forced into the story just to make Makoto look more and more like an a$$hole/dirtbag, even if i disliked him i would have liked the chance to buy into someone. So my score for characters is - 0

3. All the episodes save for the last few were actually quite boring and i ended up fast forwarding through much of them as it was kind of repetitious and meant to build the hatred of the MC. It also felt extremely rushed, like the writers knew the only thing that might save this anime and the only thing that would matter is the ending. Next people say its realistic but i don't see it as realistic, ok yes it shows the dangers of teen sex and unfaithfulness but honestly a below average guy as far as looks and personality, who has few redeeming qualities and really is exposed as a creep early on has almost every popular girl throwing themselves at him(basically a loser to ladies man in no time at all), where does that realistically happen? So for the story i give - 1.5

4. The art and music was ok for me but not great, i didnt mind the style they drew the characters and because of the type of story the fact they didnt use a lot of bright colors is ok with me. Nothing game changing here. My score - .5

So to sum it up, this is a below average anime with an above average ending and receives a generous 6 out of 10 only because the ending was so great and epic.

All of this is just my personal opinion of course :)
Jun 4, 2015 8:20 PM

Jun 2012
Roth said:
Because the characters are fucking atrocious, at least that's why I hated it.

Friendly reminder that just because you don't like a character or because a character acts vile doesn't make them a bad character.
Jun 4, 2015 8:28 PM

Feb 2015
Over dramatic, bad scenario for school setting, people are slut as fuck and development is too much unnatural like calling a hooker on the street.
Sep 2, 2015 5:02 PM

May 2012
I think school days anime has such a low score because the title and description attract an audience that wants a feel good anime, and it is a psychological thriller in essence. I find it sad that everyone hates makoto, but he is the only one that really acts like a normal teenager. Both sekai and kotonoha take teen angst to sociopathic extremes, however makoto acts just as you'd expect a teenage boy to act in stressful situations.
Sep 12, 2015 3:52 AM

Feb 2010
this anime was great. memorable, compelling, and very different from the norm
Sep 28, 2015 1:07 PM

Jan 2015
checkdafool said:
this anime was great. memorable, compelling, and very different from the norm
Sep 28, 2015 1:13 PM

Aug 2013
Aztique said:
i hated makoto soo much, what a jerk. he just annoyed me so much. and all those girls too. bleh

Never watched, but mainly this reason is what I've seen ^^^
Oct 4, 2015 7:18 PM

Aug 2012
At first, everything was ok, it seemed to be just some sort of love triangle.

Then Makoto starts to act like a jerk and starts to f*ck up most of the girls (I guess only the shortie one is spared) He doesn´t give a f*ck about the girls´ feelings anymore. To the point his main love interest, at least at the beginning, gets depressed andgets a mental breakdown. It´s a mess and a waste.

Well, not to mention most of the girls act like cheaters and whores... The shortie one seems to be the only one who cares.

He deserved that ending, surely. But I kinda feel bad for Sekai and Kotonoha, who is so out of control that resorts to necrophilia of some sort.
HitsujiOuOct 4, 2015 7:23 PM
"Could you not talk with me? I'm busy breathing."
Oct 15, 2015 6:22 AM
May 2015
Keshin_Momoiro said:
At first, everything was ok, it seemed to be just some sort of love triangle.

Then Makoto starts to act like a jerk and starts to f*ck up most of the girls (I guess only the shortie one is spared) He doesn´t give a f*ck about the girls´ feelings anymore. To the point his main love interest, at least at the beginning, gets depressed andgets a mental breakdown. It´s a mess and a waste.

Well, not to mention most of the girls act like cheaters and whores... The shortie one seems to be the only one who cares.

He deserved that ending, surely. But I kinda feel bad for Sekai and Kotonoha, who is so out of control that resorts to necrophilia of some sort.

I agree with you. Makoto is really a moron and he deserves "all" as a result. I expected something like that in the end, but it's sad, so many lives were broken.
Dec 30, 2015 11:50 AM
Dec 2013
Until before last episode, which I think there is the craziest solution I ever seen to solve love circumstances, I assumed that School Days just serve a lot of sex, and Makoto is the worst f**king beats character! ><

Thanks to last episode, so I didn't give a lowest score I ever give in MAL. Hehehe....

PS : I finally score this anime 6 of 10. It's not too far from average, is it?
Jan 16, 2016 10:35 PM

Aug 2014
I will forever appreciate this anime for being different. However, thats as high as my praise goes. When I hear about this anime from anime fans, its always about the being different harem stuff, the exaggeration, but never if its a good anime overall or not.

The anime was mostly boring. episodes 1-5 were dull, and so were episodes 7-9, but the other episodes were captivating. But its a deconstruction, and thats my problem with deconstruction: you first gotta go through the boring stuff.
oooo3333Apr 30, 2020 9:21 PM
Feb 28, 2016 9:55 PM
Jan 2011
Don't be hating on mah boy Mak. The only reason people hate this show is because of how it makes them feel while watching it. Anger, jealousy, sexual frustration. But don't pretend like you wouldn't do the exact same thing if you were in his shoes. If several girls suddenly wanted to have sex with you, wouldn't you jump at the opportunity?
Feb 28, 2016 9:57 PM

May 2015
the same reason people shit on flcl and eva: people are morons
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Feb 28, 2016 10:50 PM

Apr 2015
The characters were very "odd" but the ending was out of this world
i didnt hate it, if it wasnt for the ending it would be one of my favs all time
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 28, 2016 10:52 PM

Dec 2015
I wonder why everyone hated it. I mean, apart from the characters and the god awful ending.
Feb 28, 2016 11:02 PM

Nov 2014
Rimpey said:
I wonder why everyone hated it. I mean, apart from the characters and the god awful ending.
The ending was perfect, it made me want to get a boat.

Feb 28, 2016 11:03 PM

Dec 2015
ExTamplier said:
Rimpey said:

Please ExTamplier, don't go there, not the boat meme. :(
Feb 28, 2016 11:05 PM

Jan 2013
The ending was too good for normal plebs to comprehend.
Feb 28, 2016 11:05 PM

Nov 2014
Rimpey said:
ExTamplier said:
Please ExTamplier, don't go there, not the boat meme. :(
But the boat in anime was pretty legit though.

Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Is School Days a misunderstood masterpiece? ( 1 2 )

SkyEatsOcean - Jan 30, 2015

50 by Seabury »»
May 17, 4:43 PM

Poll: » School Days Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

MistaNight - Aug 8, 2007

200 by Seabury »»
May 15, 6:26 PM

Poll: » School Days Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

itainteazy - Aug 2, 2007

179 by Seabury »»
May 14, 6:26 PM

Poll: » School Days Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Haoji - Jul 22, 2007

136 by Seabury »»
May 12, 5:56 PM

Poll: » School Days Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 13, 2007

119 by Seabury »»
May 11, 6:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.