Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Sep 10, 2021 9:25 PM
Jul 2018
Attention, MAL user! I am giving you an order to drop shows! Do it now!!!!
Sep 10, 2021 10:09 PM
Mar 2021
lmao everything on my On Hold is something I've watched part of, enjoyed enough that I'm certain I'll watch more, but I will have to be in EXACTLY the right mood. getting really close to picking One Piece back up, and it's killing me how I just stopped watching Ancient Magus' Bride for no reason despite loving it.

I've seen 2/3rds of Utena or thereabouts, but I kinda want to save finishing it for a special time, because I love the show. same with Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun.

I do kiiiinda want to drop Psycho-Pass and Death Parade, but I feel like I SHOULD like those shows. it's just Death Parade was underwhelming compared to my expectations, not nearly as profound or intelligent as its fans would have you think, and Psycho Pass....I don't do serial killer fiction anymore. hate it.

with Hunter x Hunter I kinda have to force myself to finish Greed Island at some point. I just wasn't feeling it.
Sep 10, 2021 11:39 PM

Aug 2018
I only watch good shows when I'm in the mood. A lot of the time if I'm tired or whatever, I don't wanna watch something that is "good" before I fall asleep, just some shit I don't care about that I can skip through or miss huge chunks of while getting something to eat or going to the toilet. These ones are the usual ones I end up dropping.

I don't understand completionists, but they're them and I'm not going to argue with them.

@NicDwolfwood they have to watch it first to know if they like it or not, you know. In that context if you mean for them to watch the first ep or so then, what you said is exactly the same as what OP said.
Sep 11, 2021 12:15 AM

Mar 2020
eli_shmeli said:
Tendo_GM said:
Someone who drops Haikyuu and completes Darling in the Franxx and gives it a 9 is jot a guy worth listening to cause he obviously doesn’t know shit

I mean, I don't like Sport shows or Mecha, I felt the character interactions were more compelling in Franxx, but that's just a personal opinion

Also I don't really like the whole "underdog" thing, nor do I like Shonen that much, if that makes you feel better

And if you look at my other high rated shows they're all pretty solid, so you're kinda just a goober

People who don’t like or care about volleyball can and should still watch it, because Haikyuu is not about the sport… it’s one of the most famous anime for it’s character writing and development, Haikyuu easily has the best written characters in almost all of anime. And it’s not just the quality, but also quantity, almost every character is as deep as any mc from other shows, literally characters that appear for 1 episode will get a deep and complex story.

And the reason why I’m telling you the characters are good is because it’s relevant, watching Franxx for the character interactions of some orphan kids in dystopian future who drive mechs doesn’t really have that many straight forward correlations to reality. But the stories and characters in Haikyuu actually tell stories about real life and struggles every person comes across in their life, I guarantee you that you can find yourself in every single character you see in the show, because it’s not about volleyball.

And it being shonen doesn’t mean anything, it doesn’t feel like a shonen if that’s what you’re worried about.

(And the story of Franxx sucks, it’s the unified opinion of almost all the people on MAL)
Sep 11, 2021 12:29 AM
Jul 2018
Tendo_GM said:
eli_shmeli said:

I mean, I don't like Sport shows or Mecha, I felt the character interactions were more compelling in Franxx, but that's just a personal opinion

Also I don't really like the whole "underdog" thing, nor do I like Shonen that much, if that makes you feel better

And if you look at my other high rated shows they're all pretty solid, so you're kinda just a goober

People who don’t like or care about volleyball can and should still watch it, because Haikyuu is not about the sport… it’s one of the most famous anime for it’s character writing and development, Haikyuu easily has the best written characters in almost all of anime. And it’s not just the quality, but also quantity, almost every character is as deep as any mc from other shows, literally characters that appear for 1 episode will get a deep and complex story.

And the reason why I’m telling you the characters are good is because it’s relevant, watching Franxx for the character interactions of some orphan kids in dystopian future who drive mechs doesn’t really have that many straight forward correlations to reality. But the stories and characters in Haikyuu actually tell stories about real life and struggles every person comes across in their life, I guarantee you that you can find yourself in every single character you see in the show, because it’s not about volleyball.

And it being shonen doesn’t mean anything, it doesn’t feel like a shonen if that’s what you’re worried about.

(And the story of Franxx sucks, it’s the unified opinion of almost all the people on MAL)

I could give you the reasons I like Franxx and the reasons I disliked Haikyu but I highly doubt youd listen, so I won't

What I will say is that not only did I like Franxx better than Haikyu, I also like acclaimed shows like Fruits Basket, Clannad, and Death Note more than Haikyu. Not only that, but I liked other supposedly shitty shows like Oreimo and Wonder Egg more than Haikyu. Just cause you like it doesn't mean God came in his pants when it came out.

By your own logic I can literally just say "this man gave all of AoT a 1-2, and AoT is unanimously liked by all the people of MAL for the most part. Thus, we shouldn't listen to this idiots opinion"
removed-userSep 11, 2021 12:53 AM
Sep 11, 2021 12:38 AM
Aug 2021
The most ones I have dropped seem to be the main steams that where over hyped and have 50+ episode that I just can't justify wasting time through to complete.
Naruto and One Piece are the first to come to mind...

Some I enjoyed but just lost interest with.
Bleach and DBZ for example...

Not really into shows that stretch a shit load of episodes for the most part.
Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one...
Sep 11, 2021 12:55 AM

Apr 2021
nah i trust myself enough to come back to those on my on hold list. I havent dropped a show cause i havent found myself in that situation yet.. (most of my 1-4s r from ovas or shorts) ive watched only like a handful of animes and i dont read reviews before watching so ppl dont ruin it for me so... yea i think my enjoyment in anime is high... or maybe bc i just pick the animes i think id enjoy and not watch seasonals
“I am the Dark Flame Master. Perish, enveloped in the flames of darkness!”
Sep 11, 2021 12:58 AM
Jul 2018
606cypherine said:
nah i trust myself enough to come back to those on my on hold list. I havent dropped a show cause i havent found myself in that situation yet.. (most of my 1-4s r from ovas or shorts) ive watched only like a handful of animes and i dont read reviews before watching so ppl dont ruin it for me so... yea i think my enjoyment in anime is high... or maybe bc i just pick the animes i think id enjoy and not watch seasonals

That's rather impressive, keep up the good work 👍
Sep 11, 2021 1:04 AM

Mar 2020
eli_shmeli said:
Tendo_GM said:

I could give you the reasons I like Franxx and the reasons I disliked Haikyu but I highly doubt youd listen, so I won't

What I will say is that not only did I like Franxx better than Haikyu, I also like acclaimed shows like Fruits Basket, Clannad, and Death Note more than Haikyu. Not only that, but I liked other supposedly shitty shows like Oreimo and Wonder Egg more than Haikyu. Just cause you like it doesn't mean God came in his pants when it came out.

By your own logic I can literally just say "this man gave all of AoT a 1-2, and AoT is unanimously liked by all the people of MAL for the most part. Thus, we shouldn't listen to this idiots opinion"

But you haven’t watched Haikyuu, so you don’t know what you’re actually comparing…
Sep 11, 2021 1:06 AM
Jul 2018
Tendo_GM said:
eli_shmeli said:

But you haven’t watched Haikyuu, so you don’t know what you’re actually comparing…

Bruh. Alright well keep being a goobus and baby rage mad then

Also, the same case could literally be used against you for any of the shows youve dropped, like Jojo's. But that's the whole point of the thread, you're free to do whatever you feel like and drop whatever cause its just a show

I watched 5 episodes and I personally felt that was enough. It wasn't incredibly unique like Land of the Lustrous or Danganronpa, nor was the narrative super compelling to me either. I don't care to see matches that last longer than 5 eps and some underdog bullshit about a sport I don't care about. It seemed like a decent show, but not something for me
removed-userSep 11, 2021 1:13 AM
Sep 11, 2021 1:11 AM

Mar 2020
eli_shmeli said:
Tendo_GM said:

Lmao, I’m talking to a newbie who doesn’t even have 1k episodes. I don’t even take seriously anything you write cause I know you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about.

And as someone who has been banned on MAL 3 times already, this conversation doesn’t even phase me one bit to actually start arguing
Sep 11, 2021 1:14 AM
Jul 2018
Tendo_GM said:
eli_shmeli said:

Lmao, I’m talking to a newbie who doesn’t even have 1k episodes. I don’t even take seriously anything you write cause I know you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about.

And as someone who has been banned on MAL 3 times already, this conversation doesn’t even phase me one bit to actually start arguing

I don't have 1000 because I don't track episodes. Nor do I track seasons. I only track series. So shows will say 1 ep when they have 80

Also, read the edited part of my message before, I don't feel like retyping it.
Sep 11, 2021 1:19 AM

Jan 2009
Geel said:
deg said:
if you drop a lot of shows it shows how bad you are at looking for the right anime for your taste

Or maybe it means you have a more varied taste and therefore any anime can turn out to be good so you just try them all, just in case.

I feel like the people that say this have a very specific taste or something...

he clearly do not have a varied taste that can enjoy a lot of different genres and story
Sep 11, 2021 1:21 AM
Jul 2018
deg said:
Geel said:

Or maybe it means you have a more varied taste and therefore any anime can turn out to be good so you just try them all, just in case.

I feel like the people that say this have a very specific taste or something...

he clearly do not have a varied taste that can enjoy a lot of different genres and story

I mean idk, I liked Darling and Death Note and Danganronpa. You're right, I dont like all genres, but I do like to try stuff
Sep 11, 2021 1:26 AM

Jan 2009
Geel said:
deg said:

I mean you can say he's impatient or something, but he's still clearly trying those anime, if he was a completionist, he'd probably only watch a few anime he's sure he'd like, and that's boring.

@eli_shmeli

maybe you should try the common practice of the anime fandom the "3 episode rule" instead of dropping any anime in just 1 episode

i hardly call checking the first episode only as trying to check different shows
Sep 11, 2021 1:27 AM
Jul 2018
deg said:
Geel said:

I mean you can say he's impatient or something, but he's still clearly trying those anime, if he was a completionist, he'd probably only watch a few anime he's sure he'd like, and that's boring.

@eli_shmeli

maybe you should try the common practice of the anime fandom the "3 episode rule" instead of dropping an anime in just 1 episode

Oh yeah, sorry, that's a big misunderstanding. I don't update my Mal by episode, so when I drop an anime I'll often be anywhere in the 2 to 10 range of episodes. Some, like MHA, I've even gotten to season 3, but it only shows 1 ep

Plus then my dropped scores don't affect the community MAL score, so it's non-malicous when I score a dropped show
Sep 11, 2021 1:34 AM
Jul 2018
I drop more than enough anime, because I don't have the patience to sit through something that doesn't catch my interest. I'd only try them again, if someone who knows me and my taste a lot or anything, tells me to.
Sep 11, 2021 1:36 AM
Jul 2018
_Maneki-Neko_ said:
I drop more than enough anime, because I don't have the patience to sit through something that doesn't catch my interest. I'd only try them again, if someone who knows me and my taste a lot or anything, tells me to.

Sheesh, you weren't kidding. That's kinda king behavior, keep it up
Sep 11, 2021 1:42 AM
Jul 2018

eli_shmeli said:
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

Sheesh, you weren't kidding. That's kinda king behavior, keep it up

Yes haha
Most of them are seasonals I got curious about for one reason or another, or these are anime that couldn't catch my interest.
I have more time and energy to watch and read what I will like then.
Sep 11, 2021 4:12 AM

Sep 2015
After years not logged on MAL rife with series i meant to get back to but never did, I recognized a few things about my viewing habits. Maybe it's just been the undiagnosed ADHD, but I need to binge watch if I want to complete something.
The count of series I've chosen to pick back up is probably under 10, usually I saw some clip of it and with only like 3-4 eps left & the itch, easy to knock them out.

I don't really understand the argument that if you drop a lot you don't recognize your tastes- I find it the opposite. Sometimes I just want an easy show in the background while I work or just vibe, one that doesn't matter if catch every subtitle or need to get up to grab something, and one that doesn't matter If I get distracted or burnt out and drop it.

If you're a completionist I can respect it- once you notice I presume it's a habit that gets harder to break the bigger that completed list grows, which I find could be a shame depending on what you get out of viewing. But think knowing 'i'm not enjoying myself or i'm not motivated enough to get back to it, goodbye' has made viewing anime much more fun for me.

The only case in which I would encourage forcing yourself to complete something is if you are an art snob critic #societyobserver like myself and the series is a cultural touchstone as sorts- then I think it's worthwhile because you're not just viewing it for yourself, you're using it to engage with the way others viewed it.
「 The show wasn't bad, it was camp ♥ 」

Sep 11, 2021 4:35 AM

Sep 2018
No
Why? Because I don't want to.

My on-hold list is typically reserved for very long anime that I've started, but don't have high priority at the moment. I still like them, there's just other stuff I want to watch first.
♪ MAL card collector and anime challenge enjoyer
♫ My alignment is Chaotic Stupid™

Anime Challenges
Card Collection
DELIVER HERE!
Sep 11, 2021 4:59 AM

Oct 2019
I used to force myself to watch everything I started but decided to go by the three episode rule, only to it slowly becoming only one episode as time went on, now I just watch whatever moe anime that catches my interest and if it doesn't compel me to keep watching I just drop it.
Sep 11, 2021 10:10 AM

Jan 2017
I just keep watching most shows. However if an anime adaption changing something about the material, then I might drop it. I don't really have a rhyme or reason to drop stuff though. It's just a feeling...a...it's like...you...
You are my fire
The one desire
Believe when I say
I want it that way
But we are two worlds apart
Can't reach to your heart
When you say
That I want it that way

Vivo in somno. Solitarie putresco in inferis.
Hic dies meus obitus dies, et meus nativus dies. Te obeam.

Mea anima immortalis. Autem mea futura necata sunt.
Manes sum. Animam definire ambiguum est.
Te odi, et te amo. Conveniamus in somnio ipso.

Sep 11, 2021 10:18 AM

Apr 2020
"You should drop more shows"
- No, I don't think I will.
Sep 11, 2021 3:21 PM

Feb 2020
Nah.
I respect your view but nah. I finish shows whether I like them or not and I want to keep it that way.
I rarely use my on-hold list as well.

Sep 11, 2021 4:22 PM
Apr 2021
Shows that I could hardly get past the first episode just get moved to my dropped or "on hold" list (with the exception of Hunter x Hunter cause I want to prioritise that when I have time). I'll definitely finish them at some point in my life, they're just super low priority lol. Though that also goes for shows I just cba to get myself invested in/didn't get hooked from the get go

I've finished enough animes that started bad/eh but ended up being pretty good, to drop shows. Not to mention, watching those "bad" shows lets me get a better idea of what I like and helps me appreciate the good shows that much more. Besides, it also helps me converse better with people who've seen it as I can get their take on it and vice versa. I wouldn't usually give an opinion on something without trying it properly

Sep 11, 2021 11:52 PM

May 2018
Dropped Free! and Yuri on Ice when I found out it was just gay guys doing gay stuff. Gay shit is gay.
Yuri means lesbians (the actual good shit). Pissed me off. Gay men can stay on hentai. Lesbian stuff is actually hot.
Sep 12, 2021 12:34 AM

Mar 2021
I can definitely see both sides of the argument. Part of you wants to be a completist, but part of you also values self-respect.
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

Sep 12, 2021 1:09 AM

Oct 2009
yeah man, i got shows i just stopped watching years ago but haven't sorted it out on my list. can't be arsed mate.
Sep 12, 2021 1:31 AM

Dec 2018
it's just personally with me that i must finish what i started, i can't just stop halfway, or once i've begun. i can pretty much tolerate how bad or boring a show is, it doesn't really feel forced. when it does start feeling like that, i'd put it up on-hold and watch it whenever i feel like it, usually when im bored out of my mind.
*burps*  [font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][/font]
Sep 12, 2021 6:38 AM

Oct 2017
If I could drop more shows, I would, but if:
  • It's quick to finish
  • I'm using it for an AWC item that I don't want to change out, as changing it out would just mean I'd need to watch even more episodes than I otherwise would've
  • I need to get my watching hours and episode count up and can put up with the show

Then I watch them until I finish them.
Sep 12, 2021 10:05 AM
Jul 2018
Bunille said:
  • It's quick to finish
  • I'm using it for an AWC item that I don't want to change out, as changing it out would just mean I'd need to watch even more episodes than I otherwise would've
  • I need to get my watching hours and episode count up and can put up with the show

That sounds awful, but I guess that's just personal preference
Sep 12, 2021 10:07 AM

Oct 2017
eli_shmeli said:
Bunille said:
  • It's quick to finish

That sounds awful, but I guess that's just personal preference
I honestly don't mind. I don't like seeing multiple dropped shows on my list. I'm very likely to give multiple chances to pretty much anything so they're not guaranteed to stay in my dropped, either.
Sep 12, 2021 10:55 AM

Jul 2008
I don't really have a problem with dropping a series.
But I get bored super ultra mega too easily, so when I see some great points on a show and heard a lot about it but I struggle to binge-watch it I put it in "on hold" list, like "I know it may be good at some point, I should retry it when my mood is for Romance / Action / Comedy / SOL etc".
But hell if I drop it then it's just "nope nope not gonna retry it"

But I kinda understand peoples with the logic of finishing something since they already "wasted" their time on it, so they will be able to at least talk about the show with other peoples and have arguments when the convo will lead to "no way you didn't like it whyyyy ?".
I tend to force myself and finishing the popular one to have an opinion on it, heh...
Sep 12, 2021 12:27 PM

Jun 2015
I don´t drop so many show, actually even if i don't like it at all usually continue watching to the end. Even in this case I drop like 170 shows
Sep 12, 2021 12:41 PM

Sep 2020
I generally have a good idea of what I want to watch depending on my mood so I do not drop very often. Like I dropped SAO after s1 because it was meh and I could actually say I watched SAO. It was pretty fun as a meh show just to compare others to and as a so bad it's good but binging the whole series is too much. I also saw Psycho-Pass s1 only as I heard the rest was meh... there are a few other dropped shows but I enjoy most of what I watch because I have a good idea of what I like. One other point is I generally stick to shows with good reviews and scores as they are more likely to be mediocre as a show with an 8.00 is probably gonna be better than a 6.5. This post does make sense for the most part tho.
Sep 12, 2021 3:40 PM

Mar 2012
I think you have to suffer through the bad stuff to be able to properly appreciate the good, to a certain extent. But yeah, I could probably do with dropping more stuff.
JJL > GW > SBR > SDC > SO > DiU > BT > PB
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

610 by Schmentai_Sama »»
2 minutes ago

» Hot take: mappa is the mcdonald's of anime studios ( 1 2 )

Deathlydash - Today

63 by ColourWheel »»
5 minutes ago

» Most Disappointing "Good" Shows

Treatise - 6 hours ago

18 by zcv45 »»
7 minutes ago

» As a 10+ year otaku veteran you' tend to watch less anime, but consume otaku related things through other means like manga, seiyuus, Pixiv, doujinshi, etc. I am right now at that phase.

KiraraFan - Yesterday

29 by KiraraFan »»
9 minutes ago

» Why is netorare so hated? ( 1 2 )

Je-suis-lui - Apr 9

61 by Saku33 »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.