Kakegurui - Compulsive Gambler -
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Sep 7, 2017 8:21 AM

Mar 2014
Darek said:
Rashidz said:
The manga is actually a little entertaining (still waaay inferior than akagi/kaiji imho), but it isn't translating well into anime.
I suppose this for me, especially because of the art. Which is probably the best part of the manga.

Kinda think I am gonna drop it and just continue with the manga at some point.

The same goes for me, the anime wasn't working for me at all but the manga on the other hand is more enjoyable imo.
Sep 14, 2017 5:00 AM
Jul 2018
I always skip the "battle" part of each episode because they're really boring. it's the same formula every time: they explain a new type of complicated game mode and try to make it as edgy as possible, main heroine seems like she's gonna lose, then out of nowhere she ends up winning because she can magically see through all the cheating involved. it gets old really quickly. I'll watch it through the end but I refuse to give it a score higher than 6
Sep 14, 2017 5:28 AM

Sep 2016
Punpun3 said:
I always skip the "battle" part of each episode because they're really boring. it's the same formula every time: they explain a new type of complicated game mode and try to make it as edgy as possible, main heroine seems like she's gonna lose, then out of nowhere she ends up winning because she can magically see through all the cheating involved. it gets old really quickly. I'll watch it through the end but I refuse to give it a score higher than 6

I don't know why a few people keep saying it's like magic when it's not like this all the time. Examples, she baited twice to see if there was really cheating in the first game, she watched the game Mary lost in along with how she herself played once before the reveal, the wave card thing against Ikishima, it was pretty obvious against Yumemi (her being a pro idol, she could have won the games beforehand easily, but decided not too. That bent card trick trying to take advantage of Yumeko's perception was icing to the cake), and so far there hasn't even been any against Manyuda, so...

I'm not even trying to change how you view the series, but still. If this sort of thing is still like magic, then it's not even new anyway since series like NGNL had this too.
Sep 23, 2017 9:15 AM

Jun 2016
Littlereshi said:
Idk man, I just feel that's it's so cliched, up its own ass and just edgelord bullshit. But a fair amount of people are loving it. What am I missing?

I think it's pretty safe to say that Kakegurui is not well-liked
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 23, 2017 10:11 PM

May 2015
AndoCommando said:
Littlereshi said:
Idk man, I just feel that's it's so cliched, up its own ass and just edgelord bullshit. But a fair amount of people are loving it. What am I missing?

It's the most popular show of the season and has a pretty damn good score by MAL standards at least. How is it not well-liked?

Sep 23, 2017 10:35 PM

Jun 2016
Kittens-kun said:
AndoCommando said:

It's the most popular show of the season and has a pretty damn good score by MAL standards at least. How is it not well-liked?

I would never call an average MAL score of 7.88 pretty damn good. To me, that's more around fair or average for MAL sandards. And if you see most of the completed reviews for it right now, there's a fair few there which are not positive reviews, my own review included. But that's just how I take it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 23, 2017 11:52 PM

May 2015
AndoCommando said:
Kittens-kun said:

I would never call an average MAL score of 7.88 pretty damn good. To me, that's more around fair or average for MAL sandards. And if you see most of the completed reviews for it right now, there's a fair few there which are not positive reviews, my own review included. But that's just how I take it.

The majority or reviews and scores are average to above average.

Sep 24, 2017 5:16 AM
Mar 2014
Littlereshi said:

well the anime is not as good as i expected quite downer for me...

Hv5 said:
I'm on the middle
Its similar to no game no life.. i guess. thats why I dont get hyped
but more on humiliation after the game (i guess you'll enjoy it if you're quite sadistic?)

i think so tooo
but NGNL is far superior better than this one i can say..
Sep 24, 2017 7:47 AM
Jun 2016
I only watch it for the edginess, it's what makes the show enjoyable.
Sep 24, 2017 6:28 PM

Jun 2016
Kittens-kun said:
AndoCommando said:

The majority or reviews and scores are average to above average.

Yeah more positive reviews have slowly been accumulating since it's finished. However that mean score is now at a 7.77.
Sep 24, 2017 6:29 PM

Jul 2017
i can see why people dont like it I personally love it
Sep 24, 2017 7:58 PM

Jul 2012
Yeah, just you
The odd one
The pioneer
Elite anime watcher
Avant-garde otaku
Innovative
7 billion people on the planet but just you

Nah, of course some people don't like it.

Jul 31, 2020 9:55 PM
Jul 2020
just finished watching season 1. really didn't like it tbh. I didnt like how the mc practically won every game. Felt so boring and repetitive. "hehe im an asshole and you're gonna lose...OMG how could you win wtf this shit is gay" Basically the whole season. Also wayy too much fan service. Really distracting.
Aug 1, 2020 5:58 PM
Feb 2010
Sorry. You're the only person in the whole world who doesn't like Kakegurui. Obviously every single person who watched it liked it.
Oct 21, 2020 5:48 AM
Oct 2020
Well, I just started watching it but I am not really end to it... it’s kinda too....sexual for me... IM ONLY FREAKING 12!
Nov 4, 2020 8:49 AM

Oct 2019
This anime is bad, so is its fan base made of edgy teenage girls who got no better things to do then watching Netflix and having their feminist agenda on Instagram.
BOŽE ČUVAJ HRVATSKU
Dec 3, 2020 12:56 AM
Dec 2020
I tried the anime because of tiktok, I personally don't get the hype. For me, Kakegurui is a meh anime or 5/10 Since it's actually predictable that Yumeko is going to win. Even tho the plot is boring I'm positive that it only got the hype because of top tier waifus. Same goes from my experience because I've only watched Kakegurui for Yumeko and I can care less about the gambles, But the overrall anime is a 5/10 in my opinion.
Dec 3, 2020 1:19 AM
Oct 2020
I never even felt interested once to see this anime. Maybe someday I will or maybe not.
Dec 4, 2020 5:28 AM

Jul 2020
Long answer:
No dude, you are not the only one.
Short Answer:
No!
Dec 10, 2020 12:18 AM

Apr 2020
Nabelia said:
Littlereshi said:
What am I missing?

I dont know. May be answered by asking yourself, why you love Monogatari, Evangelion, Shingeki no Kyojin, and Zankyou no Terror? And why you dislike SAO?
Could be the answer is personal taste?

Personally, I've loved kakegurui since reading the synopsis and watching the PV. Because I already understand the story and plot after watch first episode, for me the anime is very interesting to watch.

How do i explain it. You know, because its a Compulsive Gambler-"Complusive!" with genre Game + Psychological "Psycho!" + Mystery + Drama. For the story connoisseur, I'm pretty sure only with that combination is already very interesting.

Morevore, the uniqueness of the storyline, the tidiness of the story, the element of surprise, the conflict, the way of telling the story, the consistency of quality, the existence of positive values ​​of life, and characterization. Kakegurui have all the elements that make me love a story.

Littlereshi said:
The main character guy is my main gripe with the show. His inclusion is completely unnecessary, taking him out from the story would change absolutely nothing.

I dont agree with that. Suzuki is a normal guy who is not crazy with gambling. Whereas jabami and other girl is the opposite. Of course with such characterization would make the story to be dynamic. Then just look at how the character develops with the story. If the character does not develop, it will make story unattractive.

Littlereshi said:
Right, well when I say cliched, I mean in the way the story is told. The gambling games are beyond predictable and not tense because of that.

Which parts do you consider clichés? Do you forget if there is an element in the story of uncovering cheating in gambling?

Let me dig up this thread just for this - did you actually fucking compare Kakegurui to Evangelion?

Destroy all bullies, submit to monke.
Dec 26, 2020 6:53 PM
Dec 2020
No, bro. I watched it all in one go today and, god, it was so much trash. I thought I would understand why people like it so much, but holy cow, it was bad.
Jan 3, 2021 6:23 PM
Apr 2020
Maybe you the one people who like wimpy mc. Kakegurui better cause every character didn't look too blur or nerd in choosing their action at every option they have. I love kakegurui because mc and other character didn't look dumb wimpy. Also they got badass face when they overconfident.. sorejaa...( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Mar 20, 2021 8:30 AM

Mar 2021
No, you are not OP. I dislike Kakerugui too even though I didn't watch it. That's how much I hate it. And yes, I hate it because it is popular, and just because it's popular, doesn't mean I have to like it. When times were watching anime is considered to be trash, I considered giving it a try since it seemed interesting, but sadly, I didn't have enough time as I did with Haikyuu and BNHA (which those two, even though overhyped, still has a special place in my heart because of the nostalgia factor, and I also hate gambling and usually want to make fun of gamblers because of my family background). But the hype didn't die but was only revived by TikTok and "feminists" teen girls who only watch popular shounen animes who are the same girls that are very angry about the sexualization of women in anime, except Kakerugui. I bet these were the same girls in Twitter who hated Uzaki-chan and probably even Nagatoro, (I just hate the MC there, though I love Nagatoro.) And I had enough see-ing Yumeko Jabami and the Runa kid in e girl's YT profile pics.

I really hate it because Tiktok teenage girls my age, are acting like it's the only anime with badass, hot waifus, and lesbian action when that is pretty much the only anime that they have seen. Yumeko is basically Rias Gremory, but a gambler and is crazy. But then they get angry at Momo from BNHA's design because it's "sexualized" and also praise Yarichin Bitch Club, an anime about gay fetishization. And based on the replies I have seen from this thread it seems to be an anime that seems to act smart when it's not. But maybe I'll check it out for satire and make fun of it. But yeah, the fans are acting as if they're intellectual for being a fan of it.
From what I've seen in the replies again, it seems like this anime tries to romanticize mental disorders as well, but I can't say anything for that yet, for I haven't watched it yet. But I do think Mary Saotome is interesting though someone who said that her "baka" was the best, kinda ruined her for me.
But, I think I have said what I wanted to say in this comment.
If you like Kakerugui, then good for you, but never force it on to me. And yes, I may be an edgy mf, but still, I really hate this anime.

Update: Looking back at this I feel stupid since I'm pointing out the hypocrisies of other people while coming off as a hypocrite myself, lmao. But I still don't like it, nor have watched it through this day. I think some stuff didn't age well from what I said, but eh, the fandom of this anime still is kind of toxic, at least from an outsider's perspective. I still think they are kinda hypocritical, how they bash fanservice of other types, yet praise this for being "smart" and other stuff.
Rena1Circulati0nDec 27, 2023 6:38 AM

Mar 20, 2021 8:34 AM

Nov 2020
Lol, of course you're not the only one who dislikes it. Just look at the rating and the reviews on this website. Also, I don't understand how it's cliched, I thought It was literally one of the most unique shows out there. Where else can you find lesbian girls getting off to gambling?
Mar 20, 2021 10:10 AM
Feb 2021
No, you surely aren't the only one. it just isn't entertaining in my opinion.
Mar 20, 2021 10:12 AM
Jul 2018
I dislike Kakegurui, it is a pretty weak gambling anime imo. It pales in comparison to any of FKMT's gambling works.
Aug 9, 2021 5:12 AM
Aug 2021
kakegurui is shit,dooogwhater
Aug 12, 2021 4:54 PM
Mar 2021
. . . . . . . . . .
Yes you are
Aug 17, 2021 3:42 PM
Aug 2021
I don't particularly dislike it but i don't like it either and i think the reason is that i am watching this after watching Kaiji(which is like god teir gambling anime and a hidden gem people don't give it a try because of its art style but i really love it and totally recommend it) which just feels like watching a live action tv show after becoming a weeb
Aug 17, 2021 3:45 PM
Jul 2018
I don't like it either. Felt like a parody and the games were nonsense. That's not how you do a gambling anime... but it is an ok ecchi yandere fetsih show.
Oct 10, 2021 5:14 AM
May 2018
heh i prefer kaiji than this anime

everyone its this anime its hight class looking and its a thing it pisses me off and make me feel out of the place shallow and materialistic its other traits defines this anime

the anime itself its good and unique but the characters and the feeling everyone are edgy falling on the most primitive side of the human being

compulsive gambling are bad its addiction its not something to take as joke ¿understood?

as ecchi are okay i m satisfied but the gambling part its a complete nonsensical thing for me

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jun 27, 2022 2:36 PM

Jul 2020
glad I saw this forum before I decided to re-attempt to watch this anime (I tried to watch it last year but I stopped) from the looks of it the only thing that is good on this anime is the art style, fan service and the waifus other than that if you are not into gambling you'll get easily bored with this anime
Aug 22, 2023 1:15 AM
May 2018
the class things thats the main reason this anime are not saint of my devotion honestly the rest its tolerable i guess if you are a young boy with erotic fantasies i guess

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Nov 9, 2023 8:40 PM
Aug 2020
You have a bad taste i guess or you're not open to this type of theme
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kakegurui Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2017

193 by Umi_wowy »»
May 22, 4:57 PM

Poll: » Kakegurui Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2017

375 by kyledluffy »»
May 21, 9:50 PM

Poll: » Kakegurui Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2017

118 by Qyokai »»
May 18, 3:49 AM

Poll: » Kakegurui Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2017

150 by Qyokai »»
May 18, 3:47 AM

Poll: » Kakegurui Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2017

121 by Qyokai »»
May 17, 4:51 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.