Forum Settings
Forums

A video of why we love anime and why it shouldn't be compared to cartoons

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 6, 2013 7:25 AM
Feb 2013
Anime is cartoons. In japan, they prefer to call it anime. But they're the same.
Jul 6, 2013 7:39 AM

May 2013
Agony said:
Anime is cartoons. In japan, they prefer to call it anime. But they're the same.
You're right. The thing is, if you someone asked what your hobby is, you wouldn't reply with "I watch cartoons". Not that saying Anime would make much of a difference.

I never refer to Anime as cartoons.
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Jul 6, 2013 8:00 AM

Dec 2011
I will applaud the user who make the video with the editing and special effects even if most of the videos are from those popular shounen anime. But one thing is that not all cartoon are for kids. Some of them aim are aimed at adults likewise with anime.
Jul 6, 2013 8:03 AM

Feb 2013
Well, if someone was to ask me, I'd say I often spend time watching Japanese animation, since I don't watch any American counterparts.

There is no space for arguments in saying that anime is just another name for cartoons. In fact, in Japan they refer to any sort of animation, even the American ones, with the word "anime".

The issue, though, is that, mostly in the western world, the term "cartoon" is often referred to a sort of animated entertainment solely aimed at children, particularly during their first few years of life, between 4 - 10.

To the average person, I could say I watch cartoons, but what would they think of once they hear that? Well, I bet most of the people, especially the older generations, would think of cartoons such as "The Looney Tunes", "Tom & Jerry", etc. By all means, I am not saying I hate these ones, I used to love them in the past, however, it's not something I'd willingly watch right now.

Japanese animation has a wider variety of shows, with a wide range of topics and plots. The use of the term "anime", therefore, became an iconic word that refers, specifically, to the animated shows produced in Japan. I do not see anything wrong in calling them so, but only if its used to refer specifically to the Japanese productions, without forgetting that all them can be generalised as cartoons, anytime, anywhere.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Jul 6, 2013 9:05 AM
May 2013
There is more to it trhan just epic fights... What about all the SoL and Romance Stuff?
Jul 6, 2013 9:23 AM

Apr 2013
Nerolunar said:
There is more to it trhan just epic fights... What about all the SoL and Romance Stuff?

And more important, the moe.
Jul 6, 2013 9:37 AM

May 2011
Though could've had more variety, still an Epic video and the message he was trying to deliver was clear.
Jul 6, 2013 9:49 AM

Nov 2011
JustALEX said:

MEanimaniac1 said:
I watch anime to be entertained not because it's superior to any other form of entertainment.

And that's something that Japanophiles will never understand.

I think a more proper word would be 'elitists'. Just a bit of a generalization to assume all Japanophiles take anime that seriously.

MEanimaniac1 said:
I watch anime to be entertained not because it's superior to any other form of entertainment.

True. To me, its around the same 'level' as Video games(both Japanese and western) and Manga. I spend way more time on video games, hundreds upon hundreds of days, compared to only 115~ days I spend on Chinese girl cartoons.

Although music will always be superior to all of those 3(which is why I rarely skip the OP's/ED's). Becease of the ridiculous amount of music I listened in the last 30~ months

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Jul 6, 2013 9:50 AM

Aug 2012
Anime&cartoons have different influences from their hometowns cultural, political, and social views. Also most cartoonists/mangaka are biased. I mean.. they're cartoonists after all, not professors.
Heck, I can even spot these differences with american vs canadian cartoons (although it's slightly harder because they're a lot more similar)
Call it what you want, whether it be japanophile or weeaboo.. OP does (maybe coincidentally) make a good point through his faulted logic..
It all depends which political and social stances you have - will determine if you find anime superior to other cartoons or not.
The trick is to take each and almost every "lesson"/"moral" in all cartoons as grains of salt.

I noticed MAL is like super critical compared to every other community XD his video got a lot of likes, while the opposite here
GhostonyJul 6, 2013 10:21 AM
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Jul 6, 2013 9:56 AM
Jul 2012
>says anime isn't for kids
>includes clips of fairy tail
Jul 6, 2013 10:39 AM

May 2011
rederoin said:
JustALEX said:

MEanimaniac1 said:

I think a more proper word would be 'elitists'. Just a bit of a generalization to assume all Japanophiles take anime that seriously.

Elitist are people like roriconfan. Unless you aren't assuming Japanophiles isn't another word for weaboo.
Jul 6, 2013 10:42 AM

Nov 2011
RockerXD said:
rederoin said:
JustALEX said:

MEanimaniac1 said:

Elitist are people like roriconfan. Unless you aren't assuming Japanophiles isn't another word for weaboo.

I know what Japanophiles are.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Jul 6, 2013 10:48 AM

May 2013
For me, Anime is superior to any other form of entertainment. I didn't realzie that made me a Japanophile or am I getting something wrong?
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Jul 6, 2013 10:54 AM

Feb 2013
Diran-kun said:
For me, Anime is superior to any other form of entertainment. I didn't realzie that made me a Japanophile or am I getting something wrong?

Nothing wrong. If you find them great compared to other entertainments, that's fine. It's not so for everyone, but you get the idea.
Jul 6, 2013 10:57 AM

Nov 2012
Diran-kun said:

nope, nothing's wrong.
but you know, dis iz da internet, if one does not agree with one's opinion it is totally and utterly wrong
so brace yourself
Jul 7, 2013 8:05 PM

Dec 2011
SaberRitsu said:
That video...

Pretty much this.
Jul 7, 2013 8:17 PM

Jul 2013
I love how he uses mostly Shonen (shitty) animes to prove his point, when Shonen means/is targeted to little kids. Then again.....

Hardcore Seinen you won't really get much diversity from its intended audience (adults), though you'll get a wide age range for "kid shows" be they "anime" or "cartoons".

They, they, they, they, who is they?
Pikachu wants some
Jul 7, 2013 8:43 PM

Jun 2012
Cartoons today is totally 3D..from what i've seen on tv these days..soo it can't be compared to Anime..Even thou cartoons back then are the best and anime back then too are doesn't got any attention..But if we're talking about which best these days..I'd say Anime!
Jul 7, 2013 9:02 PM

May 2013
Romcom-Lover said:
Cartoons today is totally 3D..from what i've seen on tv these days..soo it can't be compared to Anime..Even thou cartoons back then are the best and anime back then too are doesn't got any attention..But if we're talking about which best these days..I'd say Anime!

I think that sums up the basics of what I think
Jul 9, 2013 12:17 PM

May 2011
rederoin said:
RockerXD said:
rederoin said:
JustALEX said:

MEanimaniac1 said:

I know what Japanophiles are.

Whoops, misread the context
Jul 9, 2013 12:25 PM

Aug 2009
This is why I like anime:

Can't get things like this watching Batman.

Jul 9, 2013 12:48 PM

Sep 2012
I like how the video's idea is predicated on the "fact" that anime is not for kids, but then nearly every clip used is ripped from a series targeted at the "shounen" demographic, i.e. 12 year old boys.
Jul 9, 2013 12:56 PM

Jul 2012
they Used a few of the same anime again.

I don't get where Kings are a point...Aladdin had kings

I understand how there trying to say " anime isn't just a silly cartoon"

but quotes lol

In the cartoon ratatouille

that one guy said "If you focus on what you left behind you will never see what's ahead"
-so there comparable.

and personally I think anime is to me

Anime=entertaining, interesting, appealing, light hearted, variety, scary

This video is saying that its

Anime= Epic, fighting, not just about fighting, memorable.
-if I were them I would have said not just about fighting a little after I just made the scenes of fighting...

Remember kids anime is Epic....
Jul 14, 2013 12:17 AM
Jul 2013
Anime ARE CARTOONS, the only difference is they're Japanese.
Jul 14, 2013 1:07 AM

Jan 2012
arcticwind3 said:
I think the reason that anime watchers get mad when anime is called a cartoon is because cartoon has such a childish ring to it. People have to realize that they are basically the same thing, the only huge difference being country of origin.

My"anime"list =/= My"cartoon"list. While I agree that calling anime cartoons DOES seem childish, I'm going to say another reason why I dislike it being called a cartoon is because it just makes it seem like the term "anime" is completely useless. If it is a cartoon then why not just use the word cartoon to describe it from now on? Technically speaking cartoons are anime since all cartoons are animated and anime is short for animation.

They are one in the same, but the boundary between them is pretty thick if you take everything involved in creating both. Not only that but anime is a pretty accepted term, even if you run across someone who has NEVER heard of anime, and you happen to say (for whatever reason) that you watched anime, well more often than not that person will know what you're talking about.
Jul 14, 2013 1:37 AM

Jul 2013
Anime=Animation, Cartoon= Animation...
Jul 14, 2013 6:30 AM

Aug 2012
I just got back from a very looong break from MAL, and this is the first thing I see -_-

Hell, MAL never changes with all the bitching about chinese cartoons and shit.
What do you think? The meaning of our existence. Why do we continue to live?
~Iris Rain Umbrella, my favorite robot
Jul 14, 2013 8:10 AM

Feb 2013
JustinNateal said:
I just got back from a very looong break from MAL, and this is the first thing I see -_-

Guess you're one of those discriminators who believe all Asians are either Indian or Chinese. You really are something...
Jul 14, 2013 8:34 AM

Aug 2010
sherlock5545 said:
JustinNateal said:

Guess you're one of those discriminators who believe all Asians are either Indian or Chinese. You really are something...

... Are you fucking serious?

I gotta get outta this thread. It's painful.
Jul 14, 2013 8:41 AM

Sep 2012
Lol this video is stupid

Anime is not for kidz! Lets put bleach and naruto and one piece derp. Shounen = young males
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 14, 2013 8:50 AM

May 2012
Wow. Hopelessley biased, generalisations everywhere. I don't even know where to start with how bad this video is. It's making the community look really, really bad.
Jul 14, 2013 9:54 AM

May 2012
Perisher said:
Wow. Hopelessley biased, generalisations everywhere. I don't even know where to start with how bad this video is. It's making the community look really, really bad.
Yeah it's pretty amateurish.

Cant we all just go back to calling it Japanimation? Rolls right off your tongue...
Jul 14, 2013 4:48 PM

Apr 2013
That is a terrible video.

Do you know how many Western animation fans are elitist against anime? It's as if some people think that people discover anime they're grown up or something. And yet loads of adults think that anime is junk in comparison to Western animation. They, too, are closed minded like these "anime is art and cartoons are not" folks.

But this really has to stop. This elitism is unwarranted. And just shows people being ignorant. Persepolis is every bit as aimed at adults as any anime. Even if I'm not a big fan of many pieces of Western animation and am not too hot on some of the aesthetics used. My aesthetic preferences don't make Western animation any less valid.

And yes, I get that there's an improper stigma around the term cartoons. And there's still adults out there who pull off really ignorant statements about animation. One of my relatives the other day saw me watching a piece of animation and said, "Oh, you like cartoons? My son still loves kid shows, too." It was cringe-worthy, I could tell she didn't like animation and dismissed it as something for children. It is amazing how many people out there are still so closed minded and ignorant in a world populated by animation fans around of all ages.

However, I don't think the answer the that ignorance is to proclaim anime exceptionalism.

For that matter, there is nothing wrong with children's entertainment. Some of the most critically acclaimed anime are meant with a children's demographic in mind. Most of my favourite anime is aimed a children. While a lot of the supposed "adult" anime, is edgy shallow stuff aimed at teenagers.
Jul 14, 2013 4:52 PM

Aug 2012
marian11 said:

Everyone check out this video.I haven't seen such an epic video in quite a while soooooo I wanted to share this with you guys.

Have fun.

Before trying to convince people about anime, try to watch some anime, I don't think that after watching Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, HxH and Death Note you can call yourself "someone that watch anime regularly".
Jul 14, 2013 5:05 PM
Jul 2018
Well....
My definition of "cartoon" is "A comedy animated television show that is usually episodic in nature". By that definition, some anime are cartoons. Just as well, not all American animated series are cartoons.

Anyways, I like what this video is trying to do, and it is very well made, but it made a few mistakes. I believe I noticed that it misspelled a word, I believe. But more importantly, it focused too much on fighting I think.
Jul 14, 2013 5:16 PM

Apr 2013
Ghost-Lightning said:
I like how the video's idea is predicated on the "fact" that anime is not for kids, but then nearly every clip used is ripped from a series targeted at the "shounen" demographic, i.e. 12 year old boys.

If anyone out there is wondering why so many people out there hate and disrespect shounen anime and its fans so much, it's because of things like this painting the views of people.

Shounen has started developing this stigma of having edgy teenagers who are new to anime, who think that things like Naruto or Bleach are the best thing ever. And won't look outside of shounen for new anime. Or furthermore, use bad grammar and spelling, are generally uneducated, and immature.

Obviously not every who likes shounen is anything like this. But that's where the stigma comes from. There are a lot of people out there giving a negative impression of shounen and its fans. Videos like the one in the OP definitely isn't helping that image of shounen.
Jul 14, 2013 5:17 PM

Mar 2013
no offence to any shonen watchers out ther but you should not use shonen to prove that anime/ manga is not made for kids because shonen manga/anime is targeted at kids/ teens.
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Jul 14, 2013 5:22 PM

Sep 2012
Am I the only one annoyed at the blatant Death Note spoiler?
Jul 14, 2013 5:24 PM
Mar 2011
AnnieoftheStars said:
Ghost-Lightning said:

If anyone out there is wondering why so many people out there hate and disrespect shounen anime and its fans so much, it's because of things like this painting the views of people.

Shounen has started developing this stigma of having edgy teenagers who are new to anime, who think that things like Naruto or Bleach are the best thing ever. And won't look outside of shounen for new anime. Or furthermore, use bad grammar and spelling, are generally uneducated, and immature.

Obviously not every who likes shounen is anything like this. But that's where the stigma comes from. There are a lot of people out there giving a negative impression of shounen and its fans. Videos like the one in the OP definitely isn't helping that image of shounen.

most of the top 100 on this are shounen anime if not there late night anime lol
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 14, 2013 5:25 PM
Jul 2018
Red_Keys said:

I didn't even notice.

Jan 2013
Anime = Japanese Cartoons

There's nothing to change that.

A lot of anime is aimed for kids, as a lot of cartoons are aimed to kids as well. The main difference is the idea of censorship and much the culture of each one is different, making Anime looking like more censorship-free, as we can see blood more often, "death" tropes, and etc. It's cultural.

As a example, the shonen demography is pretty well shown on this. Big 3 doesn't hide blood and people getting beat the shit out of themselves, and death is something common.

There's some that hardly plays anything like that. There's some funny series that hardly take any of this to be cool/funny.

And to add fuel to the fire, there are cartoons that are not for kids. Most of them are around Adult Swim.

Basically, Paul post gave me the very reason to don't even watch the video at all, as it is basically one of the biasest argument to ever be said on a Cartoon vs Anime shit.

Jan 2013
Red_Keys said:

He just falls at the chair. xD

Jul 14, 2013 5:29 PM
Mar 2011
012yArthur0 said:

A lot of anime is aimed for kids, as a lot of cartoons are aimed to kids as well. The main difference is the idea of censorship and much the culture of each one is different, making Anime looking like more censorship-free, as we can see blood more often, "death" tropes, and etc. It's cultural.

As a example, the shonen demography is pretty well shown on this. Big 3 doesn't hide blood and people getting beat the shit out of themselves, and death is something common.

There's some that hardly plays anything like that. There's some funny series that hardly take any of this to be cool/funny.

And to add fuel to the fire, there are cartoons that are not for kids. Most of them are around Adult Swim.

Basically, Paul post gave me the very reason to don't even watch the video at all, as it is basically one of the biasest argument to ever be said on a Cartoon vs Anime shit.

is there Us cartoons like Marimite or Eav or Utena [ nope 1 for one think not ]
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Jul 14, 2013 5:45 PM

Jan 2013
DateYutaka said:
012yArthur0 said:

Eav?

Jul 14, 2013 5:50 PM
Mar 2011
012yArthur0 said:
DateYutaka said:
012yArthur0 said:

Eav?

iv llited three anime that i enver seen the us animtion come close the making a show in the style off

Jul 14, 2013 5:59 PM

Jan 2013
DateYutaka said:
012yArthur0 said:
DateYutaka said:
012yArthur0 said:

Eav?

iv llited three anime that i enver seen the us animtion come close the making a show in the style off

Speak English, not Engrish. We know you can.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Jul 14, 2013 6:49 PM
Feb 2012
MajinSaga said:
DateYutaka said:
012yArthur0 said:
DateYutaka said:
012yArthur0 said:

Eav?

Speak English, not Engrish. We know you can.

Not funny, dude. That's just flat out disrespectful.

We know Date isn't the brightest guy here, but seriously?
Jul 15, 2013 12:59 AM

May 2010
More mainstream anime in the vid pls!

I lol'd at "women's values" or smth but a lot of anime have fanservice.

People that know the difference between anime and western cartoons should not bother explaining themselves to anybody since people that can't figure out the difference themselves are just ignorant. Western cartoons have the exact same characteristics from the video as anime so this vid. does not really explain anything.
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

Jul 15, 2013 1:51 AM

Jul 2013
Well anime is fun to watch Cartoon too
Jul 15, 2013 1:54 AM
Jul 2013
but aren't they the same? both are drawings, so it's the same
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Would anime be better if they started to use more adult casts?

Thy-Veseveia - Yesterday

29 by Zakception »»
3 minutes ago

» How do you feel about unreasonable deductions in anime?

Anjuro - Yesterday

14 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime peaked in 1998

Iron_Leopard - 2 hours ago

11 by FanofAction »»
12 minutes ago

» Do you unironically think that hentai can be art? ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - Mar 11

55 by Kruszer »»
14 minutes ago

» What's one anime or character in your favorites you wish had Ecchi or Hentai scenes for officially?

IpreferEcchi - 11 hours ago

9 by FanofAction »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.