Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Mar 26, 2023 7:47 PM
Jul 2022
Bruh_epic said:
This might be one of the worst opinions I’ve ever seen. A spinet voice is without a doubt a masterpiece. If you can’t see that then you are just stupid

this might be one of the stupidest opinions I've ever seen. A Silence Voice is a hit-miss anime. Some people will find it good and some will not. His reasons for not liking it is pretty logical. If you can't see that then you are just dumb.
Mar 26, 2023 7:51 PM
Jul 2022
RioFS said:
I don't follow you. I appreciate that you tried to explain what's so sad about people liking this movie but why does one have to relate to an anime to like it? How does one relate to Made in Abyss or Your Name exactly?

ah yes the dumb person in every thread. A Silence Voice revolves around things that commonly happen in real life. 80% of the people who like this movie are probably bunch of "relaters". Fantasy anime don't need to have points to relate to. That's how genre works.
Mar 26, 2023 8:01 PM

May 2021
DexterDrubo said:
RioFS said:
I don't follow you. I appreciate that you tried to explain what's so sad about people liking this movie but why does one have to relate to an anime to like it? How does one relate to Made in Abyss or Your Name exactly?

ah yes the dumb person in every thread. A Silence Voice revolves around things that commonly happen in real life. 80% of the people who like this movie are probably bunch of "relaters". Fantasy anime don't need to have points to relate to. That's how genre works.

Indeed, the dumb person in every thread. And he/she just quoted me.

Please freaking read my comment properly. Keyword: have to.

Mar 26, 2023 8:01 PM
May 2021
SatouMatsuzaka said:
K-_-01 said:
This post is another proof that this site is full of 13 yr olds(physically or mentally) who struggle to understand people with experiences other than them exist,.Any show with any form of nuanced portrayal human interaction is going to be met with a brigade "not relateable" by basement-dwellers.

“A person didn’t like the movie I like, that means I will call them a childish 13 year old because they don’t relate to it”

Incredible argument. 100000/10. I love seeing KnK defenders who will call you incompetent for “not understanding such a refined ‘masterpiece’ ”

i went to check your profile to see your taste and I immediately side with you for everything now cause you have school live manga, anime and megunee as favs lol(my favs are way old btw don't rely on those for me, just my 10s/9s)
Mar 26, 2023 8:04 PM
Apr 2022
K-_-01 said:
This post is another proof that this site is full of 13 yr olds(physically or mentally) who struggle to understand people with experiences other than them exist,.Any show with any form of nuanced portrayal of human interaction is going to be met with hordes of basement dwellers who either lack emotional intelligence or are user that it's characters deviate from the standard escapist fantasy model they crave.

You quite literally described yourself. The original post was actually truthful and from a directive and creative point of view. They even acknowledged that people struggle with this and it's concerning but at the end of the day that is the only reason most people give it such a high rating and not on the fact it is genuinely a drag of a movie with static character writing and plot.
Mar 26, 2023 8:12 PM
Apr 2022
RioFS said:
DexterDrubo said:

Indeed, the dumb person in every thread. And he/she just quoted me.

Please freaking read my comment properly. Keyword: have to.

He was literally correct you dense cabbage
Mar 26, 2023 8:16 PM
Apr 2022
Truly one of the takes of all time
Mar 26, 2023 8:46 PM
May 2022
We all have opinions. Of course I completely disagree and find this movie a masterpiece but that’s okay, we’re all entitled to our opinions.
Mar 26, 2023 8:52 PM
Feb 2017
SatouMatsuzaka said:
TheOmniPantheon said:

You do not have to relate to the movie in order to love it. At least, that is the story with me.

Hm. I haven’t ever lost someone personally, but I absolutely loved “I Want To Eat Your Pancreas” . When it comes to KnK, i just can’t bring myself to enjoy it. You like watching a deaf girl get bullied?

but this is the point in a narrative. tha fact she suffer bully is not to be enjoyed, is to cause anger, and in the moment a History cause a big impact in you emotional, its doesn't matter that is bad or good feelings, the mission was successful. of course, i love this film because they achieved the redemption with MC, after make me hate then with all my heart (and btw, my most sincere cry in a movie was with this piece of animation)
Mar 26, 2023 9:13 PM

Oct 2020
i thought it was nice the first time i watched and even better the second time but yeah, personally, it's no masterpiece
it may be as you said, but something difficult to relate to doesn't take away from its merits as a remarkable film that's no doubt touched the hearts of many

✧ THE NIGHT SHONE UPON TWO, ME & YOU ✧ FORUM SET BY:SAINTZEPH

Mar 26, 2023 9:35 PM
Nov 2021
it is a masterpiece and the truth is u just don't get it. also depression comes for everyone and not being able to relate to depression sounds extremely heartless ngl as all humans feel depression sometimes unless their suppressing it.
Mar 26, 2023 9:41 PM
Nov 2021
kyoani is anywhere close a gold standard for anime and secondly their is many anime studios just as talented,thinking others tells me yr extremely bass. also like it or not this a real look at thing that happen irl yes u can't relate but that doesn't denie it the masterpiece title it deserves. contrived my butt I bet u count write anything half as honest or real about bullying introversion social anxiety and all the topics this feel wonderfully nails. I happen to be a writing expert and this writing is awesome
Mar 26, 2023 9:41 PM
Jul 2022
If people like this show then it is not necessarily because they relate to the characters..There are many shows out there which portray depression and suicidal thoughts. I think a lot of people like this show is because how beautifully it showcases the message of self acceptance and redemption. It's simple and that's what makes it great in my opinion.
Mar 26, 2023 9:42 PM
Aug 2012
SatouMatsuzaka said:
I am not a fan of Koe No Katachi, and found it a drag to sit through for a majority of the runtime. I have watched it twice now, and have not changed my thoughts on it. Now at least visually, Kyoani never disappoints. But as far as plot wise, the pacing felt so incredibly off. It feels like a 3 hour + movie, with certain characters that just make you want to tear your own hair out. The drama that plays out feels very contrived. There is even a certain bully who gets “redeemed” at the end and all the awful things she caused just gets forgotten about without any sort of consequences. Nishimiya isn’t much of a character, only being used as a device for the MCs development. 

I have never struggled with depression or suicidal thoughts in my life. I do not relate to this movie. But it’s success reveals something pretty worrying about our generation. That a large portion of people have struggled with those previously mentioned issues, and see themselves in the MC in one way or another. I get it, but it’s NOT going to hit everyone the same. I feel bad that so many people are relating to it. 

This is a dumb post, only in existence to shit on people for rightfully loving this movie. I wish I had time you clearly have on your hands.
Mar 26, 2023 9:53 PM
puer aeternus

Sep 2021
SatouMatsuzaka said:
kizumi91 said:
Then why do you relate to Violet Evergarden and Kimi no Na wa when these shows also try to be depressing.

They aren’t “trying to be depressing”, being connected to a certain anime just spontaneously happens when you are invested in the characters and story, something KnK failed to do for me.

You've just unironically explained the problem here. Many people love Koe no Katachi because they invest in characters and story, not like all of them relate to depression.
Mar 26, 2023 10:08 PM
Nov 2018
kizumi91 said:
SatouMatsuzaka said:

They aren’t “trying to be depressing”, being connected to a certain anime just spontaneously happens when you are invested in the characters and story, something KnK failed to do for me.

You've just unironically explained the problem here. Many people love Koe no Katachi because they invest in characters and story, not like all of them relate to depression.

KnK felt like it was being excessive in the bullying scenes. Like the author is screaming at us to “Feel bad for Shouko!” it’s forced and it repels any original sympathy I was feeling at first. There is a whole ass montage dedicated to MC and the other characters making her life look like shit.
Mar 26, 2023 10:55 PM

Nov 2021
I need some popcorn.

Mar 26, 2023 11:16 PM
Mar 2020
It was okay but 6/10 is just being edgy and contrarian.
Mar 26, 2023 11:19 PM
Jul 2018
The first time I watched KnK, I didn’t really get it. Probably the second time too. It didn’t actually click with me until I read the manga~

I think it might be because we can see more of the characters inner emotions and thought processes, since in the show it can come off as a silent boring scene. There’s also something about Japanese culture and understanding what people mean without words that doesn’t always translate well.

This doesn’t mean you’ll like it any more, but I would give the manga a shot since it made more sense to me than the movie!
Mar 27, 2023 12:33 AM
Nov 2022
Enjoyed it. Not a masterpiece tho.
Mar 27, 2023 12:48 AM

Nov 2020
fr just add a depressed emo in the show and it will become a masterpiece for some shitheads

"I don't know about you
But I'm feeling 22
Everything will be alright if
You keep me next to you
You don't know about me
But I'll bet you want to
Everything will be alright if

We just keep dancing like we're 22, 22"
Mar 27, 2023 12:58 AM
Mar 2018
i also struggled with depression but this anime is a 6 for me. i understand how he feels but the story is a bit odd for me. i seen it 2-3 times i think
Mar 27, 2023 1:00 AM
I don’t remember the names of the characters since I watched it so many years ago, but what I do remember is the emotions I felt when watching the movie. The movie deserves credit for leaving an emotional impact on me, but not to the extent that it would cause post anime depression. Overall, I think my score for it was 8/10. And no, I don’t consider it as a ‘masterpiece’.
Mar 27, 2023 1:15 AM
Jan 2022
I mean I would say the premise is emotionally resonant with a lot of us that have deep regrets about things we’ve said or done and the execution + healing with compassion was absolutely beautiful
Mar 27, 2023 1:19 AM
Jul 2018
Kyoto Ani unfortunately became like Ghibili, unwilling to change approach so as to not lose their attached fanbase 
Mar 27, 2023 1:32 AM
May 2020
Its sad that people have their own opinions and tastes.. Oh what has this world come to.. Internet causes alot of brain rot it would seem.
Mar 27, 2023 1:49 AM

Apr 2020
Is it?

Let me ask what's more likely:

1) Everyone is just beeing an idiot, but only you possess enough insight and enlightenment to see the truth.

or

2) Your opinion is just wastly different from everyone elses, which is neither good nor bad. It might be popular for a reason, tho.

1 or 2?
Mar 27, 2023 2:01 AM
Jul 2021
the bully girl is annoying, i agree. not sure there was any point where she was actually redeemed though. i think it's up to the viewer.

as for your point about depression, you dont *need* to experience these emotions in order to have some sympathy. i liked the example someone brought up earlier. i have never been to prison, but the shawshank redemption is still a great movie. if you need to relate, then just imagine any time in your life where it was hard for you (mentally). imagine that, but a lot worse. not only this, but the movie isn't totally about depression either. it's also about a dude who wants to make up for the mistakes he made in his life. i'm unsure about your final point regarding today's society. maybe kids are relating to it more, but are you just saying that because people like it? unless you see people talking about relating to this, i would not make this inference. in a way, you could be glad that people are relating because that means that they have overcome their negative emotions. still, people should work together to help people suffering from mental illness.
Mar 27, 2023 2:07 AM
Dec 2016
SatouMatsuzaka said:
Arjun_Manoj said:

Schindler's List is considered as one of the greatest movies of the 90s, and that was WAY more depressing than A Silent Voice. It portrayed the Holocaust in disturbing detail, so what does THAT tell you about the generation that was young during the 90s? Think they simply "enjoyed" watching Jews be gassed to death? 

I absolutely don't mean to insult you when I say this: but you've GOT to be young af if you still think only "fun, relatable & personally enjoyable" works have artistic merit.
Arjun_Manoj said:

Schindler's List is considered as one of the greatest movies of the 90s, and that was WAY more depressing than A Silent Voice. It portrayed the Holocaust in disturbing detail, so what does THAT tell you about the generation that was young during the 90s? Think they simply "enjoyed" watching Jews be gassed to death? 

I absolutely don't mean to insult you when I say this: but you've GOT to be young af if you still think only "fun, relatable & personally enjoyable" works have artistic merit.
Arjun_Manoj said:

You're putting words in my mouth and arguing against a strawman. When did I say anything about artistic merit? Seems you are just making up things I didn't even say. It's absolutely fine if you enjoy KnK, I sure as hell don't. I'm saying people relating to its portrayal of bullying, depression, and suicide is why a large portion of people call it a masterpiece. Which I do not think is true. 

[/quote]

You literally said to another guy in the comment I quoted that "hey, if you ENJOY watching deaf girls get bullied, be my guest". Did I put any words in your mouth there? Where is the strawman? What I said in reply was that by this argument of yours, the main reason why millions revere Schindler's List would be because they "enjoy watching Jews get tortured & gassed to death". It's called an analogy, not a strawman - though judging from your other comments, you're probably just a troll & so are probably gonna pretend that you don't know the difference.

Heck, you're saying EVEN NOW that the only reason so many people like KnK is because they themselves must be depression or suicidal - and this is an ASTONISHINGLY inaccurate generalization to make, because one absolutely does NOT need to personally experience something in order to like or appreciate a movie about it. There are any number of popular classics - about themes unrelatable & unpleasant to the majority of us - which are evidence of this. If those works are liked FOR THEIR ARTISTIC MERITS & not simply because "everyone who liked it must have gone through something similar", then the same applies to A Silent Voice as well. Because to most people, it CONVEYED what depression, social alienation etc are like in a good enough way, it had great animation, music, voice acting, character development & dynamics etc. People usually like it for THESE reasons, NOT because they themselves are "depressed & suicidal" smh.

Anyway, I see a pretty high probability that you're just a troll now, so not gonna bother reading any further replies & responding to the same.
Arjun_ManojMar 27, 2023 2:31 AM
Mar 27, 2023 2:11 AM

May 2021
Why exactly is this a forum topic rather than a review or blog post?
My Candies:

Bonus:
Mar 27, 2023 2:33 AM
Apr 2022
I wouldn't call it a masterpiece but it's a pretty good movie.
Mar 27, 2023 2:45 AM

Feb 2014
The 9/10 I gave it meant I thought it was great but can understand why some people won't like it like that. I'd read the manga first so I knew I'd enjoy the film
We wanted to see if you had the ability to expand your mind and your horizons. And for one brief moment, you did. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you had never considered. *That* is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence.
Mar 27, 2023 2:59 AM
Jul 2021
SatouMatsuzaka said:
ryangosling007 said:
the story was pretty compelling with the great animation and sound design. it truly encapsulates how people w/ suicidal thoughts would behave in a situation like that. i adore knk with all my heart and it held a special place in life(always will be). its a pleasure to be able to watch this masterpiece.

Again, not arguing about the presentation. I prefer other topics than suicide and depression. I’ve never been at those low points in life, so I do not relate. Nor have I been bullied as the movie portrays.

yeah and ppl have different opinions bruh, saying they’re sad for liking an anime you don’t like for reasons you can’t understand is just flat out rude and nonsensical
Mar 27, 2023 3:11 AM

Mar 2021
DexterDrubo said:
Potatoboy11 said:
wait. you hated it yet you watched it a second time? damn. still you hate it a lot more you should. i personally enjoyed it. but i won't go out of my way to call it a masterpiece.

not liking something and hating is different idot.

even still, it doesn't change anything. if you were smart enough you would have understood that. but you didn't.
Mar 27, 2023 3:23 AM
Jul 2017
The story was compelling even if you can’t relate to having suicidal thoughts or depression. You can understand emotionally what the characters are going through if you are at all empathetic imo and this is coming from someone who lacks it
Mar 27, 2023 3:28 AM
Aug 2022
ENVY_613 said:
K-_-01 said:
This post is another proof that this site is full of 13 yr olds(physically or mentally) who struggle to understand people with experiences other than them exist,.Any show with any form of nuanced portrayal of human interaction is going to be met with hordes of basement dwellers who either lack emotional intelligence or are user that it's characters deviate from the standard escapist fantasy model they crave.

You quite literally described yourself. The original post was actually truthful and from a directive and creative point of view. They even acknowledged that people struggle with this and it's concerning but at the end of the day that is the only reason most people give it such a high rating and not on the fact it is genuinely a drag of a movie with static character writing and plot.

The OP's opinions are valid, but truthful is a stretch. It's diminutive and pretty presumptuous to assume the reason that so many people rate this film highly is because they are depressed. If you found the writing static, that's fine, but others interpreted it differently. It's incredibly arrogant to claim that the drive force behind this positive interpretation is because an entire generation is depressed. Personally, I don't think the movie is a masterpiece. I'm very cautious to throw that word around for anything. But I don't think its success signals a problem with this generation.
Mar 27, 2023 4:18 AM
Mar 2022
I recommend the show to my friend
just like u he never felt the suicidal thought never suffered anything extreme great family pretty rich he also didn't like it as much probably found it boring as well.
Mar 27, 2023 4:28 AM
Apr 2020
I'have rated it a 6, the anime movie's i have watched i think this was one of the worst, its just anohana but bad in my opinion
Mar 27, 2023 4:58 AM

Jul 2015
Arjun_Manoj said:

Most people haven't been to prison, and also find the idea of spending years in jail unpleasant. And yet "The Shawshank Redemption" is one of THE most popular movies of all time on IMDb.

Imagine, that something so damn obvious even needs to be said. Guess the OP has a "YOU" problem. XD

Mar 27, 2023 5:07 AM
Feb 2021
Does it have to be relatable to be good? I personally find the social agony, inner turmoil of the MCs moving and heart-breaking, even if I don't relate, much less agree, with their condition and some of the choices they made.
They're making do with the hand life gave them, and even try to improve and lead better lives for their own sakes. I don't find that relatable, but I sure as hell do find that amazing.
Mar 27, 2023 5:30 AM
Apr 2021
I thought the movie was nice, not perfect. But I feep the redemption was infact deserved. He was a bully as a little kid, but felt regret for years as he grew up and also worked to make amends.

The only part that could have made it better for me, is that saving the girl he bullied ended up costing him more than a quick miraculous recovery.
Mar 27, 2023 5:37 AM
Sep 2019
K-_-01 said:

but hum the main public that watch animes is like hum 13/14/15 years old?
Mar 27, 2023 5:49 AM
Mar 2023
It's ironic that how the fans of a movie about acceptance and forgiveness can't accept or forgive any kind of criticism of the film and easily triggered over differing opinions.
Mar 27, 2023 6:04 AM
Mar 2023
K-_-01 said:

It's ironic you don't even realize how immature you sound.
Mar 27, 2023 6:05 AM

Mar 2012
I thought that the movie was average at best but the manga was amazing, a lot of content was taken out to cram 7 volumes into 2 hours.
Mar 27, 2023 7:23 AM
May 2021
Saw you put Demon Slayer at a 10, told me everything I needed to know about your taste.
Mar 27, 2023 8:16 AM

Feb 2022
It's kind of sad that you think Demon Slayer is somehow a masterpiece.
Mar 27, 2023 8:54 AM

Oct 2015
SatouMatsuzaka said:
I have never struggled with depression or suicidal thoughts in my life. I do not relate to this movie. (...) a large portion of people have struggled with those previously mentioned issues, and see themselves in the MC in one way or another.

That's the thing, you seem to believe the depiction of depression the movie has is all from the main character's POV, because it's a common misconception that it's all about being closed off to people, and being negative all the time, and whatnot.

Stepped out from the darkness I contained in me.
Released myself form the shackles I helped create.

I've got the power of life in my hands,
and I intend to keep it.

My life has meaning after all.

Mar 27, 2023 9:06 AM
Nov 2018
Taynix said:
It's kind of sad that you think Demon Slayer is somehow a masterpiece.

I rate anime on how much I enjoy them. Sad that concept is foreign to you.

You have one of the most generic top 10s I’ve ever seen on MAL lmao. “I like vanilla ice cream and white bread” type of anime.
SatouMatsuzakaMar 27, 2023 9:27 AM
Mar 27, 2023 9:08 AM
Nov 2018
Jackieson36 said:
Saw you put Demon Slayer at a 10, told me everything I needed to know about your taste.

You must be one of those boring “oBjEcTiVe” MAL users. Rate on how much you enjoy them, that’s the only thing that matters.

Funny, you even have the audacity to say that with such a generic and typical top 10 yourself.
SatouMatsuzakaMar 27, 2023 9:30 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Life lesson

Thecrot - Jun 6

16 by Myetx »»
Yesterday, 6:13 AM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nihon_no_tsuki - Sep 21, 2016

711 by REIN3y »»
Jun 9, 10:46 PM

Poll: » Will you call it a romance ?

Khushal_v - May 24, 2023

32 by Seansy »»
May 29, 12:09 PM

» What are some differences between the original manga and the movie?

AoiroBlueColor - Aug 27, 2023

14 by Seansy »»
May 29, 11:58 AM

Poll: » Should Koe no Katachi get a reboot as a TV series

HyperBrid - May 22, 2017

47 by Seansy »»
May 29, 11:39 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.