Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 1, 2023 3:39 PM
DG9 CEO striker

Aug 2020
@Okeanix
1 Blu-ray sales do not define if the anime made money or not. Chainsaw man is an international hit, and it is probably Mappa's most poplar anime already. The anime industry’s three largest revenue streams are merchandise, international licensing, and anime-themed pachinko machines. All of the above bring more money than Blu-ray dales. Add the fact that disc fails have been falling in Japan every year since 2005, and you only need to think for about 10 seconds to understand how profitable Chainsaw man will be even if they sale 0 Blu-ray discs at all
[font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][/font]
2 Bocchi the Rock has a rare kind of fan base. It's not usual anime watchers who watched a seasonal liked it and moved on, Bocchi the Rock has fans that are OBSESSED with it, so it's not like a random unpopular show outsold Chainsaw man, Bocchi is one of the groundbreaking anime with outstanding viewer influence and connection. The fan base is obsessed to the point where they literally BUY GUITARS without even knowing how to play them. There was a sale of Bocchi the Rock themed wireless headphones, they were already launched for sale 4 times and all of them were sold out, and more launches are coming. They buy everything. If the studio straight up opened up a donation fund, and they said "if you send money to us, that means you send money to Bocchi characters" the fans would unironically send them money. It's not just a seasonal show bro, it's an actual goldmine of money, which is rare to happen for a seasonal show and it's not fair to compare 

3 "50+ year olds looking for profit" do not matter, studio Mappa are financing the adaptation themselves to avoid the production committee bullshit

Overall, I think you should become a journalist with your skill of making misleading conclusions. I do not believe that you make these statements unironically 
9cycle cycle9

Feb 2, 2023 3:31 AM
Feb 2023
RareWRLD said:

1 Blu-ray sales do not define if the anime made money or not. Chainsaw man is an international hit, and it is probably Mappa's most poplar anime already. 

Delusions and coping statements of CSM fans never disappoints to make me smile. 
Feb 2, 2023 10:02 AM
DG9 CEO striker

Aug 2020
Apoklo said:
RareWRLD said:

1 Blu-ray sales do not define if the anime made money or not. Chainsaw man is an international hit, and it is probably Mappa's most poplar anime already. 

Delusions and coping statements of CSM fans never disappoints to make me smile. 
brings no proof or information whatsoever
uses an alt account 
"delusions and coping statements" 

[font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][/font]
9cycle cycle9

Feb 2, 2023 12:49 PM
Dec 2021
Chainsaw man peaked when makima shower her skills/power/moves, it's all downhill from there.
Feb 2, 2023 1:08 PM

Sep 2015
Cancelled? Very unlikely. Director replaced, possibly with a heavy downgrade in budget/quality? Much more likely I'd say. At very least, I'd be surprised if they can pull off the 12 unique ED songs/animations gimmick again. 
Feb 2, 2023 4:01 PM

Nov 2020
Do blue ray sales make up a substantial part of their income? 
Feb 2, 2023 6:00 PM

Dec 2014
oh cool, the money wasted on the animation could be of use to something better!
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Feb 2, 2023 9:40 PM

Feb 2017
"Anime didn't make any money"

-300K physical copies sold of the OP song CD KICK BACK ( ≈5.07 million USD)
-Multiples collab with gacha games, clothes brand, milk brand...
-A lot of new different goods/merch are being mass produced every day.
-A lot of figures characters being mass produced too, they are popular on amazon.
-Streaming licence being sold to a lot of different streaming service, probably one of the most expensive license sold to crunchyroll.
-A CSM coffee shop has been opened. (Ofc MAPPA is credited to all those thing)

Ofc bluray sales is a big way to make money from an anime but bluray are just a one time thing, all the thing that I have quoted will bring in more money and will continue for years...
If bluray were the biggest factor MHA wouldn't even get a full adaptation since it sell poorly in term of bd... yet it's one of the most lucrative franchise because mha sell a lot of merch, do a lot of collab too (like the one with fornite), which bring a lot of money.
Feb 3, 2023 2:06 AM

Dec 2020
imagine thinking dvd sales matter in 2023. lol u ppl are absolute 🤡
doilyFeb 3, 2023 4:13 AM
Feb 3, 2023 7:04 AM

Feb 2018
Personally couldn't care less although the story is interesting and I love Denjis stupidity but the anime felt off somehow, I'm not sure why, maybe it is the animation style but it was a bit off putting for me, don't know about others lol

Feb 3, 2023 6:19 PM

Oct 2012
King_KK said:
ss4chris said:
how come they didnt sell well? did the anime differ from the manga? im curious
The manga is more goofy and has a less serious atmosphere than the anime. That's the reason the Japanese fans got mad. Also the art in the colored manga is more colorful and expressive compared to the anime. Plot wise both the anime and the manga are exactly same.
thats weird.  then why didnt they portray it like that  like bleach or gintama?
Feb 3, 2023 7:29 PM

Apr 2019
ss4chris said:
King_KK said:
The manga is more goofy and has a less serious atmosphere than the anime. That's the reason the Japanese fans got mad. Also the art in the colored manga is more colorful and expressive compared to the anime. Plot wise both the anime and the manga are exactly same.

According to what I have heard, the director wanted to make it more cinematic and thus removed all the comedic anime reaction faces and made the tone more serious. His vision was to make it as close to a live action movie as possible. That vision of his backfired and people didn't liked what he was doing to the source material and that's the reason why CSM anime flopped.
Feb 3, 2023 7:54 PM
Aug 2022
King_KK said:
ss4chris said:

According to what I have heard, the director wanted to make it more cinematic and thus removed all the comedic anime reaction faces and made the tone more serious. His vision was to make it as close to a live action movie as possible. That vision of his backfired and people didn't liked what he was doing to the source material and that's the reason why CSM anime flopped.
bruh can we stop with this flop crap.

Except blue ray sales it still had high streaming,merch sales, promotion and what not crap. S1 was commercially successful period. There wont be any decrease in quality because it was a success.

The more appropriate term is how well it was received. GOT S8 had the highest streaming views and was commercially successful but was not well received.

Japanese fans are unhappy but that doesn't mean they will drop the show. Most of the manga readers will still watch s2 if csm "bad" adaptation can be rectified. If s2 can enhance the cg and be more faithful, it will be fine
Feb 3, 2023 7:55 PM

Oct 2012
King_KK said:
ss4chris said:

hmm I think you actually having it  the other way around.
 the manga was more serious  and more cold than the anime which was more calm. but regardless they didnt match the feel you get from the manga into the anime
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/10qpuk5/the_japanese_dont_want_to_support_chainsaw_man/
Feb 3, 2023 8:04 PM

Apr 2019
ss4chris said:
King_KK said:

the manga was more serious  and more cold than the anime which was more calm. but regardless they didnt match the feel you get from the manga into the anime
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/10qpuk5/the_japanese_dont_want_to_support_chainsaw_man/

Naa, I have been reading the manga for a long time and it's definitely more comedic than the anime. The anime is more calm though. Most of the complaints I saw were about the anime not being as comedic as compared to the manga. The manga doesn't get dark untill the later half. The early half has a lot of comedic scenes.
Feb 3, 2023 8:05 PM

Aug 2019
Good. It was the most overrated anime that I've seen since AoT or JJK, except at least those didn't have ugly ass CGI.
Feb 3, 2023 9:11 PM

Oct 2012
King_KK said:
ss4chris said:

Naa, I have been reading the manga for a long time and it's definitely more comedic than the anime. The anime is more calm though. Most of the complaints I saw were about the anime not being as comedic as compared to the manga. The manga doesn't get dark untill the later half. The early half has a lot of comedic scenes.
Im more inclinded to believe the japanese otaku and having the read the manga myself i Agree the anime was more calm and humorous than the manga. 
Feb 3, 2023 9:37 PM

Apr 2019
Badguy_oncel said:
King_KK said:

Except blue ray sales it still had high streaming,merch sales, promotion and what not crap. S1 was commercially successful period. There wont be any decrease in quality because it was a success.

The more appropriate term is how well it was received. GOT S8 had the highest streaming views and was commercially successful but was not well received.

Japanese fans are unhappy but that doesn't mean they will drop the show. Most of the manga readers will still watch s2 if csm "bad" adaptation can be rectified. If s2 can enhance the cg and be more faithful, it will be fine

Maybe flop isn't the right word but it definitely didn't achieve success in Japan. I don't know weather later seasons will achieve the similar numbers on streaming though. I think a lot of Japanese manga readers are just not gonna bother with the further seasons of the anime. I think Mappa will definitely decrease the budget of subsequent seasons and will completely stop the anime production after they adapt part 1 completely. Chainsaw Man could have been a successful shounen anime, it had all the elements for it. But given the kind of reception it has received I think it will end up being just another forgotten shounen anime. It's definitely a flop in my books.
Feb 3, 2023 11:34 PM
Aug 2022
King_KK said:
Badguy_oncel said:

Maybe flop isn't the right word but it definitely didn't achieve success in Japan. I don't know weather later seasons will achieve the similar numbers on streaming though. I think a lot of Japanese manga readers are just not gonna bother with the further seasons of the anime. I think Mappa will definitely decrease the budget of subsequent seasons and will completely stop the anime production after they adapt part 1 completely. Chainsaw Man could have been a successful shounen anime, it had all the elements for it. But given the kind of reception it has received I think it will end up being just another forgotten shounen anime. It's definitely a flop in my books.
people said the same thing to aot when manga ended, claiming it's a dead series and nobody's going to watch it and yet yesterday global times released report that it's still the most popualar anime of 2022. P2 even had upgrade than p1 and judging by teaser p3 will have atleast same animation as p2. There was barely any manga sales for aot in 2022 and yet they're dividing p3 into two parts lol.

Csm had crazy high views and would have overtaken aot if it was released earlier. So yeah there wont be any dip in quality.

If japanese didnt like the director then could just change him and give it to hayashi after aot ends.

If mappa doesn't want to take full responsibility then they can just transfer their rights to producers and still keep the same quality and not worry about risk.

With aot coming to end, csm is the hottest commodity in west. Mappa knows this and they're not stupid to let it go
Feb 4, 2023 3:37 AM
May 2021
It's really sad. It's adaptation still One of the best on it's own way. The action sequences didn't made any big impact is the only disappointed fact for me.
Feb 16, 2023 6:08 AM
May 2014
Okeanix said:
VKDOOM said:
Lol it’s legit boomer shit to think Blu ray sales matter in 2023

Anime is approved by the boomers though, you thought people who cancel or approve sequels are 20-year-old otakus? No, they are 50+ men who looking for profit.

And sadly CSM is so poor at sales even seasonal series like Bocchi the Rock with almost no advertisement have 40x more sales. (Bocchi bluray also more expensive) 
the suits are gonna listen to the money and streaming is where it’s at nowadays
Feb 22, 10:16 AM
Apr 2022
Reply to Hero_of_My_Story
@Okeanix
1 Blu-ray sales do not define if the anime made money or not. Chainsaw man is an international hit, and it is probably Mappa's most poplar anime already. The anime industry’s three largest revenue streams are merchandise, international licensing, and anime-themed pachinko machines. All of the above bring more money than Blu-ray dales. Add the fact that disc fails have been falling in Japan every year since 2005, and you only need to think for about 10 seconds to understand how profitable Chainsaw man will be even if they sale 0 Blu-ray discs at all
2 Bocchi the Rock has a rare kind of fan base. It's not usual anime watchers who watched a seasonal liked it and moved on, Bocchi the Rock has fans that are OBSESSED with it, so it's not like a random unpopular show outsold Chainsaw man, Bocchi is one of the groundbreaking anime with outstanding viewer influence and connection. The fan base is obsessed to the point where they literally BUY GUITARS without even knowing how to play them. There was a sale of Bocchi the Rock themed wireless headphones, they were already launched for sale 4 times and all of them were sold out, and more launches are coming. They buy everything. If the studio straight up opened up a donation fund, and they said "if you send money to us, that means you send money to Bocchi characters" the fans would unironically send them money. It's not just a seasonal show bro, it's an actual goldmine of money, which is rare to happen for a seasonal show and it's not fair to compare 

3 "50+ year olds looking for profit" do not matter, studio Mappa are financing the adaptation themselves to avoid the production committee bullshit

Overall, I think you should become a journalist with your skill of making misleading conclusions. I do not believe that you make these statements unironically 
@Hero_of_My_Story bocchi the rock fans are just love live and bang dream fans with better taste. Love live and bang dream fans are idol fans
Feb 22, 10:41 AM

Jan 2022
Might watch the remake in 2034 but I'm not gonna bother with any sequel to the current CSM anime, shit sucked
Mar 2, 3:10 PM
Jan 2023
People have covered it already, but I work as an analyst in the media industry for a major streaming company and confirming with 100% confidence that the claim that Blu Rays or DVD sales make up a substantial portion of modern anime's earnings is very incorrect. It's something that's probably just been uncritically regurgitated on forums for years (people hear it from random internet comments, and spread that claim further), but it's extremely outdated based on all data.

As someone linked above, combined DVD/Blu Ray/video sales combined were 2.5% of revenue of all Japanese animation studios in 2021. But I'd advise not believing me or other nerds like me on the internet, you can look at Anime Industry Report which is released yearly - it's very well put together and they have an English version if you search it that provides excellent breakdowns of what the main revenue drivers are for Japanese animation studios.

What are some reasons this rumor exists?
1) Historically, there's truth that in the early 2000s, DVD sales made comparatively bigger share of revenue, up to 20-25% back in 2002, and there's not good data from the 90s before Internet distribution was common but I certainly believe it could've been higher. But due to the growth of the Internet as a distribution vehicle as well as massively growing international interest, that hasn't been the case in over a decade. Overseas broadcasting rights alone are 10-11x the revenue of home videos. (And as a lot of people know, merchandise is a huge cash cow too, but the supply chain there can be more complicated and the money doesn't always go directly back to the studios.)
2) BD/DVD sales are nice to have because they have pretty high profit margins. I believe the manufacturing cost can be as low as $2 per disc, so it's a low cost way to make additional profits without any additional animation work.
3) There may be a cultural element, in that DVD/Blu Ray sales are a way that fans "show support" to their favorite programs. So there might be a 'demoralizing' effect to low DVD sales, even if it's not a big revenue driver.

Either way, Chainsaw Man, like the show or not (I have mixed feelings toward its debut season myself), was a huge success by most every conceivable metric. I'll bet very good money that CSM is coming back for S2 based on its success in streaming alone. People posting Blu Ray sales is mostly just useless fuel for people to use in their fan wars without any real world backing as to the success of different anime. (And even on top of that, the idea that a media's popularity is in any way related to quality is also dumb.)
Apr 7, 2:55 AM
Mar 2024
Okeanix said:
There is a possibility of Chainsaw Man anime getting canceled.

https://twitter.com/SxFisthebest/status/1620348686382551040

Anime didn't make any money, manga already was best sellers before the anime. Jujutsu Kaisen, Demon Slayer etc. has 40x profit than this.

Did they cancel it?
Apr 8, 12:30 AM
Dec 2022
I watched 3 times
twice on Netflix and once on crunchyroll.
And I am hyped as hell for movie.
gonna buy manga in next month
Apr 10, 5:00 PM
Oct 2020
Source: random Mal pessimist’s theory. Somebody delete this fuckers account man.
Apr 15, 11:37 AM
Apr 2024
If blu ray sales for anime are below a threshold line, that is pretty much the kiss of death. In almost every single case i have seen, subpar blu rays lead to cancellation. Especially if ur producer is aniplex, kadokawa. Only exception are shonen manga adaptations funded by publisbers. The crashing figure market shows merchandise can no longer support a series.

This means the production committee lost money and can no longer continue. You will need a new committee hoping to make a profit through other means. That can take extremely long.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Dec 27, 2022

1014 by OnlyLukey »»
Sep 11, 11:24 PM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Nov 29, 2022

1025 by kindaweirdo »»
Sep 11, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Dec 6, 2022

585 by phantom346 »»
Sep 6, 12:50 PM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Nov 22, 2022

735 by phantom346 »»
Sep 6, 11:13 AM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Nov 1, 2022

787 by phantom346 »»
Sep 5, 11:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.