Forum Settings
Forums

So, why is everything so highly rated here ?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 25, 2023 6:44 AM

Jan 2023
Most people only watch what they're gonna enjoy, and give everything they enjoy a 7/10. Therefore 7/10 is the average, it kinda sucks because it would be more interesting to see a more diverse set of scores, but whatever.
Jan 25, 2023 6:54 AM
Jul 2015
The reason why is because is subjective. More or less like I like it a lot, a little, normal or not.
Jan 25, 2023 7:43 AM

Jul 2009
I often vote low scores for very sound reasons. I think it's why my affinity doesn't work with anyone else.
Jan 25, 2023 7:55 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Because 5 and lower I'm quite likely to drop. Ain't no more time to watch something I consider trash to the end. Used to have no dropping policy back in days..

5 is borderline drop
6 might get dropped (depends where it dips on scales)

5 and lower that I don't drop usually is hate/spite watching at this point.
Jan 25, 2023 10:41 AM
Jul 2018
It's natural from the way people rate things. People gravitate to the shows with higher ratings. People don't watch shows others consider 0-5 in rating. Therefore the vast majority of popular shows have high ratings.
Also if something is rated 5 it means it's 'Okay'. Most anime are at least 'ok' and aren't violently bad to the point of being below a 5. People are more likely to drop shows they dislike rather than rate them low.
Jan 25, 2023 12:41 PM
Nov 2019
There are multiple reasons for why so many shows are so highly rated. 
1) People are careful in what they watch and only watch shows they know they are going to like at least enough to give a 5+ rating.
2) People drop shows and don't rate dropped shows for whatever reason they have. (I do that too.) That leaves only mid to high ratings and keeps the score up.
3) People rate only/primarily based on enjoyment and can simply enjoy even the most mundane shows out there. 
4) People don't have high (critical) standards and enjoy even the dumbest shows. 

And god knows how many other reasons. 

I for example have made the arbitrary rule that I won't rate any TV-Show or Movie, no matter how bad, less than 3/10, only Specials, ONA's or OVA's can get a 1-2/10. 
I did it for the simple reason that in 99% of the shows/Movies the voice acting and music (excluding the OP & ED) are good or even great and I want to show my appreciation for the good work those people do.
Whereas the Specials or OVA's which I watch more often than not serve as supplementary material (or are random stuff) that doesn't need to be made so when those are bad I am less forgiving. 
Jan 25, 2023 2:38 PM

Oct 2017
Ronichko said:
BilboBaggins365
Not every opinion is well informed but on media why does it have to be?

Because some people choose what to watch based on scores, members, reviews and someone's recommendation.

I personally view people like them as lazy.

Than why bother rating on MAL at all, rate them in a folder on your computer, by yourself and for yourself.

Others feeling the same way doesn't make them lazy. It's arbitrary rating at the end of the day. That simple. 

I agree, as long as it's feeling and not acting. The second part I agree with.

If someone solely relies on a MAL score to inform whether to watch something that is their own fault. Plus if you use the site for awhile it's still easy to figure what the general consensus on the show is. For modern/popular stuff 8-9 probably means a good to amazing show 7.5-8 flawed, 7 very flawed and lower. For anything old/niche just tick of a point or two and it works all the same (a 7 is just like an 8 for a 90s OVA). 

I still fail to see how talking, watching or critically reviewing media isn't all combined together lazy lol. You can write a 30 page critical essay of an anime but unless that is your job you still are wasting time. Ergo being lazy.

Thirdly because MAL has a nice UI lol compared to keeping a word document. The general database is really useful (my main reason for using this site). Plus I have people on here I like talking to and seeing what they are watching lol. I mean that is the purpose of MAL. At least it seems to me. Trying to create some "objective" review site and tailoring your scores to that lol that would be ludicrous to me.  
BilboBaggins365Jan 25, 2023 2:41 PM
Jan 25, 2023 2:48 PM
Jun 2019
well no one watches shows they don't like. However, sometimes people will hype up a show that is very bad like 86 and spread that disease across the community.
Jan 25, 2023 6:45 PM

Aug 2020
It shows that people actually watch anime to enjoy themselves instead of hate watching like a loser. Thats all it really means, jus' sayin'.
Keep scrolling
Jan 25, 2023 6:56 PM

Apr 2020
based anime enjoyers not giving a shit about what other people think
Jan 25, 2023 7:53 PM

Jun 2016
Your rating is very critical as but that's ok, I usually rate my anime around 5-7 which is to say that anime around 5 are just ok as popcorn watch. 6-7 are shows which I might recommend for watching as they don't need much explanation.

8-10 anime are rare for me as in 1000+ I got like 7 (10s) and 3 (9s), 10s and 100 (8s) but that might change in future as I visit some shows retrospectively and reduce their rating as that's what mostly happen. 

I perfectly assume that people with 500+ anime with mean score of 5 as that shows their balanced view on anime as an art form but when someone who watched like 100-200 anime and their mean is 5, means they are hating anime more than enjoying and they are just being a snob as I know many friends of mine who will rate an anime low with nitpicking.

Also 1-10 scale doesn't mean your mean should drop to 4 or below 4 as at that point it's perfectly clear you don't enjoy anime and should stop watching it. Lastly I think an anime deserves score of 1-4 only when it is regurgitated shit or caused a massive migraine/wasted your precious time where you can watch a paint being dry rather than watch that show. 
2023 might be the year where I will be happy. This year is not happy year.
Jan 26, 2023 1:31 AM

Jan 2022
epidemia78 said:
dunno. Maybe most people are like me and they drop bad anime without rating it. Which leaves only the people who like it or think it's okay to decide the final score.
Yeah same here. To you people who watch shows even tho you hate it, know I clown on ya'll a lot but you da real MVP.
-insert NGE meme here-
Jan 26, 2023 7:35 AM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
Thread Locked For Breaking Anime Discussion Rule 2.E
e. MAL community data
    e.g. Questioning the score/ranking/character favorite counts
    e.g. Saying that series X should have a higher/lower score/count
    e.g. Specific reviews, moderation of data/community content/reviews, etc.
    Concerns about the website should be reported using the appropriate buttons or designated MyAnimeList boards.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Most Disappointing "Good" Shows

Treatise - Yesterday

30 by 345EdwardElric »»
5 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

640 by 345EdwardElric »»
12 minutes ago

» Do you think secondary rival is more interesting than main rival?

m_alhafidz - 1 hour ago

4 by Quadruple_Oi »»
14 minutes ago

» Do you think shoujo/josei romance are usually better than shounen/seinen romance ?

ZXEAN - 2 hours ago

21 by Zarutaku »»
21 minutes ago

» Overrated characters in the top 30? ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Jan 4, 2018

197 by 345EdwardElric »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.