Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 8, 2023 8:07 PM

Aug 2020
thisiszihanbd said:
I think there is nothing to complain about this series because it is not adopted from some Manga or light now will because it was adopted from a game so if it is adopted with complete CGI then also people should not be complaining about the series actually I have watched my sensei to playing this game on his PC during online class with him and I was surprised by the first episode that I actually watch the fight with the monstrous machine on that day.
what are you talking about? You do know that there are quite a lot of animes that are adapted from games who actually works well right? Cyberpunk for example.
Jan 8, 2023 8:54 PM
Oct 2017
the only thing i could relate to what they're saying is that it's a blank mirror copy for the game that felt like persona's adaptation. in which fans of the game would just recommend you to play the game instead of watching it since even the fight scenes felt copy pasted.

but ergh imma binge this so can't say for sure
Jan 8, 2023 9:07 PM

Jul 2015
Yuu_Kanzaki said:
Piromysl said:

If you really had zoom in and nitpick 1,5 second clip in which there are no barely visible shadows and base your entire point on it, then it's pretty clear that you literally have no argument and are just trying to nitpick in order to desperately validate your shit take.
And yes, 2B does look "soulless" while piloting a mecha even in game. She is quite literally known for being an emotionless android FFS.

Maybe it's just me and I wasn't raised to be a spoiled little b*tch, who can absolutely never be satisfied no matter what level of quality is being thrown at me and just complain for the sake of complaining.
That's just one example. Look at the mecha model it looks bad. I'm not nitpicking, you can see all the scenes with cgi models in them, look bad. Another example would be the water when the mecha is flying right above it. Look at the splash and tell me it looks good. At least I provide details where the cgi looks bad. How about you provide me an example when the cgi looks good huh? No need for screenshots, just tell me which scene and I'll check it for you and post it here. 

You claiming to not be a spoiled little bitch is the most outrageous thing that came out of this discussion. If anything, you look like a bitch who can't handle people's opinion that differs from your own. If you're satisfied with that bad cgi models then I don't know what to tell you other than I'm jealous of how simple you are. I guess I need to appreciate all the hard work all these animators are putting out for us and not complain about a single thing nowadays, is that what is expected of me? 

No, mecha model looks good and it is just your wrong opinion. CG in general looked every good, especially Goliath.

And you have to forgive me for an ad hominem, because the non arguments you are trying to present are so outlandishly stupid, it is literally impossible to take seriously and it borders on trolling, so it tells more about you than about quality of that CGI.
It requires serious lack of self awareness, entitlement and unrealistic standards to compare this objectively decent looking CG to some shitty Transformers show from the 90s and then in seemingly pure desperation look far and wide for a shot that you consider poor looking as an example.

But the good thing from all this, is that fans who can appreciate good quality are satisfied, while entitled fans are malding, because, they do not deserve nice things. Good end.

Jan 8, 2023 9:22 PM
Aug 2021
Fantyyy said:
Shounen fans are literally brain damaged, nothing to see here.

Didn't you know it's bad animation unless there are 5 types of shiny filters and 2000 special effects on the screen at all times? /s
Welcome to the English speaking anime fandom lol

Hey there, English speaking anime (including shounen) fan here. While some people may find the 2000 effects and all that to be more suitable animation to their tastes, I find your statement to be a pretty baseless generalization, maybe based off of several people on this site that fit your criteria? I happened to be very impressed with the animation of this episode, and generally find enjoyment in many different styles of animation and storytelling. It’s ironic that your bio talks about “discrediting subjective opinions” when you openly discredit an entire portion of anime viewers for their spoken language and preference of genre, as if it makes them lesser than you. This site is toxic enough, there is no need to add to it :)
Jan 8, 2023 9:28 PM
Feb 2021
matt_haeu said:
thisiszihanbd said:
I think there is nothing to complain about this series because it is not adopted from some Manga or light now will because it was adopted from a game so if it is adopted with complete CGI then also people should not be complaining about the series actually I have watched my sensei to playing this game on his PC during online class with him and I was surprised by the first episode that I actually watch the fight with the monstrous machine on that day.
what are you talking about? You do know that there are quite a lot of animes that are adapted from games who actually works well right? Cyberpunk for example.
lol Cyberpunk isn't an example I would use, but yeah there are tons of anime based on games and none are an exact copy. Visually nor story wise. Hell there are tons of anime based on card games, and the card game doesn't even actually play the same way it does in the show. Does it mean the show is bad? Well Cyberpunk is as terrible as the game, which is why I said earlier that it wouldn't be my choice to use as an example. Also, just because a show is based on a game doesn't mean they can just pluck assets out of the game to use as models in the show.

The point is, Nier Automata is not supposed to be a copy of the game. It's an adaption. With adaptation comes stylization. That image of 2b in the flight unit looks exactly how it should look. It looks like 2b and it looks like a flight unit just differently stylized. I watched the show for Nier Automata in A1's style. If I wanted Platinum Games' Nier Automata, I'd go 100% the game for the 16th time.

If you were expecting the game as an anime, you might as well just go play the game or better yet just watch someone else play the game since that's the experience you're looking for.

PS: Matt_Haeu, just to be clear. I'm agreeing with you. Most of my post was in response to the person you were quoting. lol

PPS: thisiszihanbd, NEVER watch an episode of Pokemon, ever. None of the anime are exact copies of any of the games, so you'd be in for a lot of disappointment and anger
Jan 8, 2023 10:19 PM
Jan 2022
OP, nier fans like to pretend they're some high brow TWISTS and postapoc depression enjoyers or something. You shouldn't really care what "ratings" mean tbqh specially when it concerns those people. It's a game anime so what smelly neckbeards think really doesn't factor into how many seasons there will be (they can probably fit one ending within 13 eps). 
Jan 9, 2023 12:41 AM
Jan 2023
So far the show has been alright (I'm so happy that they have seemingly kept the OST intact) and I think it's a solid enough 1st episode but let's not mince words here: that CG is BAD, not Ex-Arm or Berserk 2016 bad, but the CG is pretty awful considering the talent and teams involved in this
Jan 9, 2023 2:41 AM
Oct 2021
I don't know mate. I got the platinum trophy in PS4 and I absolutely love Nier Automata game but the anime was fire. Gave me the same vibes as the game. So... so far so good!
Jan 9, 2023 3:43 AM
Mar 2021
for its just on metallic stuff which makes in look realistic not bad maybe out of place but if you compare it to the game scenes it almost the same but update graphics for now lol
Jan 9, 2023 5:32 AM

Jul 2012
Its not the fans complaining, its just random weebs. If you check the comment section on youtube, everyone loves the CGI and animations but if u check on MAL so many kids complain about it. Its not just this time, literally everytime a new anime gets released someone is complaining about something. Welcome to 2023 where people have to shit on everything they see.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 9, 2023 5:37 AM

Dec 2020
I consider myself a fan I have a wall scroll beiitch and I think this anime is robbing people of what they could experience playing the game. Don't watch this anime until you have played the game. It's not worth it mate, it's not worth it
Jan 9, 2023 8:32 AM
Jun 2019
You cannot be serious; the CGI is objectively bad. 

The only time the CGI actually blended with the background is when the main target showed up. Majority of the time the CG models don't even match the lighting. The shadows on the CGI are weaker than Yamcha. The CGI in every scene stick out like a sore thumb.

The robots 2B and 9S are piloting are literally ripped straight out of the game itself. I understand their decision, but they didn't even pick a good CG studio for the job. There were only 2 scenes where we see an actual 2D figure piloting the robots. It's really weird to see a 2B with a simple design and suddenly cut to a CG 2B with many polygons. 

The only saving grace for this anime for me is the 2D animation and the good narrative (or so was I told).

I'm planning to play the game soon; I've heard good things about the story.

Hi
Jan 9, 2023 2:24 PM

Oct 2017
There are not 20+ endings, there are only 5, all of which are continued after the ending before it (C and D have very minimal change), and E is very short and mainly just the credits.
Jan 9, 2023 2:25 PM

Apr 2021
lordgaara said:
I consider myself a fan I have a wall scroll beiitch and I think this anime is robbing people of what they could experience playing the game. Don't watch this anime until you have played the game. It's not worth it mate, it's not worth it
exactly, what i’m thinking about!
Jan 9, 2023 4:36 PM

Apr 2020
"Fans"

What a sly dig xD
Jan 9, 2023 6:38 PM

Mar 2021
the mainstream media is in massive denial right now. If we saw this cgi in some random new show from a smaller studio, it will be the laughing stock of the community. Just look at it. It looks terribly out of place and the level of detail and precision is a joke relative to the 2d enivironment. 

If the cgi was shown to a person who had no idea what nier is, they will say it looks like shit.

It just goes how biased anime opinions have become to favour hype new shows or big name studios. So lol at people giving Kaguya and Lycoris Recoil anime and animation of the year. Must be a massive punch to the gut to be sitting through A1's animation of the year.
icefirestone23Jan 9, 2023 6:44 PM
Jan 10, 2023 4:41 AM
Oct 2020
Euthymia_Gerv said:
matt_haeu said:
lol Cyberpunk isn't an example I would use, but yeah there are tons of anime based on games and none are an exact copy. Visually nor story wise. Hell there are tons of anime based on card games, and the card game doesn't even actually play the same way it does in the show. Does it mean the show is bad? Well Cyberpunk is as terrible as the game, which is why I said earlier that it wouldn't be my choice to use as an example. Also, just because a show is based on a game doesn't mean they can just pluck assets out of the game to use as models in the show.

The point is, Nier Automata is not supposed to be a copy of the game. It's an adaption. With adaptation comes stylization. That image of 2b in the flight unit looks exactly how it should look. It looks like 2b and it looks like a flight unit just differently stylized. I watched the show for Nier Automata in A1's style. If I wanted Platinum Games' Nier Automata, I'd go 100% the game for the 16th time.

If you were expecting the game as an anime, you might as well just go play the game or better yet just watch someone else play the game since that's the experience you're looking for.

PS: Matt_Haeu, just to be clear. I'm agreeing with you. Most of my post was in response to the person you were quoting. lol

PPS: thisiszihanbd, NEVER watch an episode of Pokemon, ever. None of the anime are exact copies of any of the games, so you'd be in for a lot of disappointment and anger

I think you did understand me I didn't say it's a exact copy but it was similar
and
I am not a pokemon watch or a fan.
Jan 10, 2023 5:24 AM
Sep 2021
Lulu_viBritannia said:
I loved the game and I was completely blown away by this first episode. I have no idea what everyone is complaining about :)

same! I think the animation is stunning!
Jan 10, 2023 9:42 AM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
a game has no right looking better than an anime

Jan 10, 2023 9:57 AM
Jan 2018
Piromysl said:
Yuu_Kanzaki said:
the things the models are lacking are what make the models look good. Not only that, but 2B here looks very stiff; lifeless.

Yeah the comparison is not as funny as it was in my head.

Dude literally said that a literal android (even known for her stoicism), who temporarily merged with a mecha looks "lifeless" and that apparently justifies their take.
Fuck this shit, I've seen enough...

They are using the 3D models from game so if she looks lifeless in the mecha then she should look lifeless in the games that isn’t a cut scene,
Jan 15, 2023 1:39 PM

Feb 2013

Woodmann said:
This trailer of the game that was posted in 2015 is so much better than the anime.

Unfortunately, rather than funding Platinumgames to make a sequel, Square had them make an awful live-service game, Babylon’s Fall, instead. Square Enix's decisions have been ridiculous lately, just look at their recent games that have been massive flops like: the Quiet Man, Banal Wonderworld, Left Alive, and the upcoming one later this month, Forspoken. They even sold their western studios for peanuts.
As I already said. You are comparing bananas to horses. But oh well. You do you man.

Ah yes the ridiculous decisions of a multi billion dollar company. Recent games like FF7 Remake, Crisis Core Remaster, or Dragon Quest. Shockingly bad. Hahahahahaha.
Calling Forspoken a flop prior to release... :'D

Nier Automata looked like a PS3 game while Replicant looked like FF12. That is just a fact.
Jan 15, 2023 8:03 PM

Apr 2021
Skyguardian said:

Woodmann said:
This trailer of the game that was posted in 2015 is so much better than the anime.

Unfortunately, rather than funding Platinumgames to make a sequel, Square had them make an awful live-service game, Babylon’s Fall, instead. Square Enix's decisions have been ridiculous lately, just look at their recent games that have been massive flops like: the Quiet Man, Banal Wonderworld, Left Alive, and the upcoming one later this month, Forspoken. They even sold their western studios for peanuts.
As I already said. You are comparing bananas to horses. But oh well. You do you man.
Ah yes the ridiculous decisions of a multi billion dollar company. Recent games like FF7 Remake, Crisis Core Remaster, or Dragon Quest. Shockingly bad. Hahahahahaha.
Nier Automata looked like a PS3 game while Replicant looked like FF12. That is just a fact.

yeah, yeah, couldn’t care less, it’s just your loss, so sad to not be able to play such a great great game, and instead consoling your ownself by saying the game looks worse than the anime, like a ps3 game, blah.. blah.. blah.. and propagandizing it, lol. No one who have played the game would ever say that, Roflmao.
WoodmannJan 15, 2023 8:11 PM
Jan 15, 2023 8:27 PM
Jan 2023

Skyguardian said:

Woodmann said:

What PS3 games are you comparing it to?
Jan 15, 2023 8:55 PM

Dec 2022
I think the issue with Nier Automata graphically is that it looks kinda mid compared to other games released for the PS4 around the same time, or even before it.

And it's even more limited by the fact that it was made for the PS4 first, everything else second so the PC port didn't look that much better.

And being built on a low budget on a proprietary engine.

Games like FFXV, Ratchet & Clank, and Star Wars Battlefront released on the same console at around the same time and looked way better.

Which is why it's weird that they didn't choose to improve the textures of the models they were given for the anime, because you can do way better with pre-rendered models than you can with models that were meant to be rendered in real time on a fairly weak GPU.
Noko-Jan 15, 2023 9:00 PM
Jan 16, 2023 1:15 AM

Oct 2010
You always will have fans of the source material that nitpick about any adaption.
Personally as a big fan of the game, i cant wait to see more of this anime.
I see it as a nice extra addition to the franchise.

If you disregard the anime because there is 0,5 seconds of jarring usage of the game 3d model of the flight unit+pilot, you are wrong in the head and a fake fan.
Jan 16, 2023 8:54 AM
Jun 2015
I mean, did I notice the CGI was iffy right away? Yes. Did I try to focus on other stuff? Yes. It's ok to be underwhelmed by the animation and a little bored that the first episode is nearly a scene by scene recreation of the game opening (which almost everyone had to replay at least twice because Yoko Taro is a sadist....Drakengard 3's rhythm game from hell being a prime example). However, a lackluster first episode isn't enough to get me down because of the differences. The opening narration by 2B seems to indicate an impending story diversion, which is what I'm really looking forward to. Having multiple endings is something that can be done, but NieR:Automata is, arguably, a linear game that is meant to conclude with ending E regardless of picking 9S or A2 in the last fight. If players just stopped at end C or D, then they didn't complete the game. Most of Automata's 25 endings were jokes and ends A-D were mini ends to a larger narrative, like chapters in a book, for the final [E]nding. 

While the animation isn't my favorite for this series (have you seen Demon Slayer? That is pinnacle of perfect animation), this is a project that is not guaranteed to make money back. Many fans came into this thinking it would be an adaptation of the game, others looking for an original story, and myself looking for something in-between. I played the game. I've invested my 100+ hours into the game, I've bought the game three times (1st release, digital Game of the year edition for that DLC, and now the switch version because I have a weakness for cute skins), and if I want a perfect adaptation then some youtuber has likely made a video with all the cutscenes compiled into a movie, or I can just play the game again. 

Those of you who are disappointed are allowed to be. The same way I can be perfectly happy with this. Do I like the animation? Not really. Am I still going to watch this? Yea. 
Jan 16, 2023 8:57 AM
Jun 2015
DixyNL said:
Yuu_Kanzaki said:
that’s actually surprising. I guess A1 just did a bad job importing the model? Or adding shading and applying some physics to it.
like i said before, mostly cell shading and layering issues.. those take a f ton of time, and since the story is pretty rich in content i think they decided to focus thier resources on that aspect.
Yeah, I figured it was more of a money issue. Anime's like Demon Slayer are guaranteed to make back the money spent to make them, but turning games into anime likely doesn't have the same money back guarantee. 
Jan 16, 2023 12:20 PM

Jun 2012
Well this kind of anime/game is supposed to be a slow burner... We will have to wait and see. If they don't change the main story and make bullshit up I guess it's alright.
Jan 16, 2023 1:41 PM

Feb 2013
Woodmann said:

yeah, yeah, couldn’t care less, it’s just your loss, so sad to not be able to play such a great great game, and instead consoling your ownself by saying the game looks worse than the anime, like a ps3 game, blah.. blah.. blah.. and propagandizing it, lol. No one who have played the game would ever say that, Roflmao.
Oh boy he is back again. =)

I did not say the game looks worse than the Anime because I am NOT comparing 2D animation to a 3D video game. No sane person does that. Reading comprehension. Hard, huh?

Oh I did the play the games, which is pretty obvious to most people here. (There is more than one. Crazy, isn't it?)

Scoring such an Anime with a 1... You don't want to be taken seriously.
SkyguardianJan 16, 2023 1:49 PM
Jan 16, 2023 4:10 PM

Dec 2020
DixyNL said:
Really on what kind of nostalgia driven elitist pompous horse you guys on ? I read complains about it being mid animation, while the first 2d fighting sequence is already better than 70% of the currently released shows to pamper isekai watchers, yet half of the people complaining watch seven deadly sins and gave it a positive rating.. The 3d is bad? Boy have you even seen bad cg? Berserk had bad CGI. Ex arm is bad cgi. This is not bad cgi, sure it may not be the best you ever seen, but it's nowhere near bad.

Then onto the story complains,  it's already not just like the game was. For real ? It's a different medium, so no it's not going to be the same. It is in fact not the game your playing, it is now a show that you are watching, one in wich i may add the story writer of the games is also involved with and proclaimed to be a story that is better suited for anime. Because we all know the 25 or so endings can't possibly be portrait in the anime. Get off your nostalgia driver high horse and give it an actual objective chance, there is no way that in one episode that you are able to deduce it is going to be shit, since objectively it has not been shit for one minute in the show thus far.

Should it crumble and crash later on, well to bad it happens. Then consider it a failed project. But stop calling dumb stuff out just because you cannot deal with the fact that its not a frame by frame copy of the game. 
People who played the game were complaining because episode 1 really was pretty much a frame by frame copy of the game, only worse

Episode 2 solved all those problems but don't pin this on fans of the game, that first episode was kinda crap whichever direction yr starting from
Jan 16, 2023 5:35 PM
Aug 2020
The Cg in the first episode sucks balls. Second episode was amazing
Jan 16, 2023 6:49 PM

Apr 2021
Skyguardian said:
Oh boy he is back again. =)

I did not say the game looks worse than the Anime because I am NOT comparing 2D animation to a 3D video game. No sane person does that. Reading comprehension. Hard, huh?

Oh I did the play the games, which is pretty obvious to most people here. (There is more than one. Crazy, isn't it?)

Scoring such an Anime with a 1... You don't want to be taken seriously.

Pretty obvious? yeah, pretty obvious that you haven’t played it, and just consoling yourself by disparaging the game, lol.
Saying the game looked like a PS3 game at best?
lol surely you don’t even own a PS3 or a PS4.
Go back to watching people play games on youtube. LMAO.
Jan 17, 2023 8:15 AM
Jan 2021
Other than 2b in flight suit animation is pretty good can't w8 for more 🔥❤️
Jan 17, 2023 3:11 PM
Jul 2021
Dunno why people care animation so much
Jan 18, 2023 6:21 AM
Jul 2021
ToTheTopOfAnime said:

Mostly people who havent see more than 10 anime in their life but thats the majority unfortunately so oh well
P.S they also think demon slayer is the best anime of all time
Jan 18, 2023 8:01 AM
Jan 2023
ToTheTopOfAnime said:
I think it's not about animation. It's about "hating on something" is cool thing to do these days
Jan 20, 2023 2:40 AM
Dec 2010
I dont get what to criticize from standpoint of fan of the game. I played the game and I love it. Anime doing great job of converting difficult language of the game to anime conveying the same emotions. Compared to other anime game adaptation (Persona i'm looking at you) its high tier. It don't blindly transfer just scene for scene to anime, it's using language of the anime to tell the story.
CGI it to much visible in my opinion. This would be my main complain after 2 episodes.

Jan 20, 2023 2:50 PM

Oct 2015
MAwatcher said:
(Persona i'm looking at you)
right.. And the recent and old Trails shows... compared to those this is golden for sure.
Jan 20, 2023 10:30 PM

Jan 2014
The CGI isn't even bad lmao. People just so caught up on that merit, that it legit becomes a problem for them. I'm not even kidding. No matter the show, I'm always seeing one person being a neat freak when it comes to this, it's so lame lma. Especially, when it's not bad at all. People be acting like you said, as if it has Ex-arm levels, when it doesn't. 
Jan 23, 2023 1:19 PM
Feb 2021
L_Ratio said:
ToTheTopOfAnime said:
I think it's not about animation. It's about "hating on something" is cool thing to do these days
It's especially the case when they can't even manage to say what's bad about it or have a clue about how animation works.

It's animation it's not supposed to be paused and looked over frame by frame, which is what people do. Then they go "look look! This one frame. The CGI is terrible!" completely oblivious to the fact that it's supposed to look like that. When the animation is played normally, that frame helps trick the eye into seeing smooth fluid motion and/or create some other effect.
Jan 23, 2023 2:28 PM

Dec 2022
Euthymia_Gerv said:
It's especially the case when they can't even manage to say what's bad about it or have a clue about how animation works.

It's animation it's not supposed to be paused and looked over frame by frame, which is what people do. Then they go "look look! This one frame. The CGI is terrible!" completely oblivious to the fact that it's supposed to look like that. When the animation is played normally, that frame helps trick the eye into seeing smooth fluid motion and/or create some other effect.
There's actually quite a lot that sucks with the animation itself, not just with individual frames.
It's no secret at this point that this anime was rushed, and you can clearly tell.

There's almost a total lack of perspective shifts during talk scenes, which coupled with very few frames of animation makes the presentation boring and static. The perspective can sometimes stay in place for basically a whole discussion, with none of the characters moving except for their mouths. With "regular" anime, it's usual to do perspective shifts, panning shots, and cuts during a conversation. In this, you sometimes get none of that.
It's not ideal from a cinematographic standpoint. And the reason behind it is probably not artistic in nature. Most likely they just didn't have enough money or time to draw the additional backgrounds needed for a different perspective, or even additional frames for close-ups of the characters faces. It's especially obvious during the talk with Lily in episode 3, and the Black Box scene in episode 1. Then there's the choice to make the CGI pods idly move up and down in every scene they're in at the full frame rate of the show when they absolutely did not need to. Since there's often no other movement in some of those scenes, they just end up being distracting.

They do try to hide some of the flaws by for example resizing or moving the drawings to reduce the amount of frames needed for motion. Like when 2B crashes through the wall. That's the same drawing of 2B being spun around without any care for lighting, etc. Or when she walks up the hill at the very start of the first episode. It works, but it's hard to unsee when you notice.

None of this is A-1's fault. They clearly had to rush out something while the studios in China they hired to do half the art closed down (Even if that's not an excuse and actually happened, it was a shitty decision by Aniplex to keep to the schedule anyways.) The art and animation that exists clearly hints that this was definitely planned to be better than your average low budget shounen/isekai, and instead a show that's at 86's level or greater, but the actual execution fell flat because they didn't have the time.
Jan 23, 2023 6:59 PM

Dec 2020
This is a very bad thread
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Why It got hate?

Otaku_guru - Mar 5

23 by Polvo_Aranha »»
Jun 6, 6:19 AM

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 21, 2023

149 by Seygneur »»
May 27, 11:32 AM

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Embient - Jul 23, 2023

112 by SettyLove »»
May 16, 5:08 AM

Poll: » Are you an Anime-only or Player of the game?

Rob7 - Apr 27

16 by Kirito_Sama_ »»
May 4, 1:10 PM

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2023

105 by Rob7 »»
Apr 26, 9:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.