Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 26, 2022 10:33 PM
Jul 2017
Products of a time shouldn't be judged on modern standards. These shows weren't made for us, so I don't think it's reasonable for them to conform to our standards and today's morals. Also, the insight into the past isn't an all-around back thing.
Apr 26, 2022 10:34 PM

May 2018
Alcoholicide said:
LostSpectre said:
I like how the OP has just abandoned this thread after realizing that there's virtually no one who actually agrees with them.

Inb4 they went on twitter to rant about the MAL community.

Since I rejoined this forum this year, it seems like 90% Twitter SJW/LGBT people anyway...
I get TONS of posts removed with absolutely nothing offensive said...
Apr 26, 2022 10:41 PM

May 2018
Speaking of older shows...
A quote from the great badass, Yusuke Urameshi (Yu Yu Hakusho), in reply to a Trap (Trans for easily offended/Twitter users): "If you're gonna be a man, do it all the way, not just half!"

Basically saying UNTIL you get the full on sex change surgery, you ARE what you're private part is at birth and you need to embrace THAT (until you have the money if you're really THAT insistent being thinking you're something else for some reason)
Apr 27, 2022 12:02 AM

Feb 2020
We still have stuff like redo of healer nowadays being served to a more mainstream audience. So i have no idea why it would be that big of a problem of old

Sure, i have seen a lot of toriyama short and other old shows which has lot of racist jokes. Maybe a somewhat problematic to pander that to mainstream audience. But fmab link analysis is total bs, if fmab can't be recommended for old views, most tv series or movies even released nowadays cannot be recommended either. I hope thats a click bait.

A relevant problem with recommending older shows is that they are not available at 1080p or 4k quality. Other problem are easy access and availability through proper channel. Compared to that accident/ era related racial or phobic issues are of very less relevance.

As for scores, i dont see the rapeman or war propoganda of 50s or any happy science movies having high score. If its just some imaginary or minor issues, then we have twitter who reports up about it everyday for newer shows, non of those is reflected in scores either because most people simply dont try to do mental gymnastics into interpret it as problem
AdampkApr 27, 2022 12:34 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Apr 27, 2022 12:19 AM

May 2016
squirrvev said:
okay, since you all keep insisting on strawmanning me, here's a couple of things you would be able to notice if you really were as smart as you probably think you are

1. I'm talking about reviews/recs not talking about the things that might negatively affect someone's experience.
2. The point of writing these is to convey all the relevant things about the anime, not to condemn it. I want to know the show is fascist/generally bad before going into it
3. Bad things are bad because they're bad, they have always been bad and will continue being bad. Standards have nothing to do with it and recs should take that into account. Talk about why the anime turned out this way sure, but also don't give people the wrong idea about what their experience is gonna be.
4. You are not other people. You should think about that before relying your experience to other people. Especially when praising something to other people
5. I'm asking for honesty. That's it. Inform people properly, regardless of whether you're a spoiled brat with no skin in the game, or not.
I get the sentiment, but why does it matter? What’s in the past is in the past. Reviewers aren’t obligated to tell someone about offensive messaging in a anime that released decades ago.
Apr 27, 2022 2:20 AM

Oct 2017
Why was I expecting the OP to talk like this?

"Everything I dislike is political" right...
Apr 27, 2022 2:26 AM

May 2018
Copying your bait thread which got deleted by mods recently is not a good idea.
I wish they banned the account next time, because OP seems not going to stop.

Apr 27, 2022 4:01 PM

Jun 2015
I hate this garbage pc "culture"

I watch old shows FOR the rasicm and the oppression of alphabet mafia

Good ol days.

Any recommendations?
Apr 27, 2022 4:16 PM

Mar 2021
KuroudoAkabane said:
I hate this garbage pc "culture"

I watch old shows FOR the rasicm and the oppression of alphabet mafia

Good ol days.

Any recommendations?

lmao based

that being said, i do get what op is saying. it's harder these days to turn your friends into weebs if they're not weebs already because of this. i used to have a friend who was a huge western cartoon fan but was "apathetic" about anime, largely because of the lack of wokeness. i found myself having to defend anime a lot when talking about things as innocuous as sailor moon

edit: this is my 666th post. no one cares but i figured i should mention it
Apr 27, 2022 4:24 PM

Sep 2016
Lmao what.

Good shows are good.

If you're too much of a snowflake and get offended because people in the past were based and made jokes on offensive stuff (free speech bruh), because back then people like you were rare, so no studio felt the need of self censoring or putting unnecessary disclaimers/trigger warnings, welp:

bruh
Apr 27, 2022 4:27 PM

Jun 2015
Mokocchi_x3 said:

your 666th post was too vanilla

Atleast edit it to something moar salty
Apr 27, 2022 4:32 PM

Jun 2014
The Fullmetal Alchemist argument about being "dated" doesn't really fit if you're approaching it from a political stance. Attack on Titan and Ranking of Kings have far worse politics despite FMA's flaws.
TEN COMMANDMENTS:
1) If Evangelion and Psycho-Pass are his only 10s, he probably also worships Tool and smells like cheesy puffs 2) Freudian psychosis =/= good writing 3) Moe blob art style is only ok in pure slice-of-life comedy 4) It's ok to enjoy shounen. Having fun is allowed 5) It is not ok to enjoy isekai (jk, it is, I just fucking hate it) 6) Creator breakdown =/= good writing 7) A story does not have to be wrapped up with a bow. Life is messy, why would a good story need to be tidy? 8) InuYasha is proto-Twilight 9) Ecchi CAN be good, but is almost always an abomination 10) If God is real, They allowed Super Kid to happen, so fuck Them
Apr 27, 2022 5:20 PM

Mar 2021
KuroudoAkabane said:
Mokocchi_x3 said:

your 666th post was too vanilla

Atleast edit it to something moar salty

i'd love to but mal mods can't handle sodium
Apr 27, 2022 7:18 PM
Mar 2022
Imagine the arrogance of thinking metropolitan western 2022 values are the final evolution of thousands of years human culture. Imagine thinking that nothing considered "enlightened" right now will be considered offensive or badly dated in 30, 40, 50 years.

In the grand scheme of things these people who make progressive issues their entire lives are all gossiping Victorian housewives trying to one-up each other's frilly dresses.
YAHOOGAYCHATROOMApr 27, 2022 7:24 PM
Apr 28, 2022 12:07 PM

Oct 2012
There are anime from every decade that are politically (and otherwise) problematic.

I personally don't find dick jokes from Hajime no Ippo "pedophilic", it's just a juvenile jab, no more weirder than girls comparing breast sizes and groping each other in every show, even modern ones. In fact, the characters in Hajime no Ippo don't grope each other.

Also, we all know the Fuhrer is a fictional Hitler analog in FMA, so much so that the anime-original movie involved a real-life rendition of Hitler. However, it wasn't advocating for white supremacy -- Hitler was still the villain -- so I don't see what the problem was besides being a bit cheesy.

It's unfortunate that the most vocal anime fans are these far-right racist, misogynist stereotypes that think any kind of social awareness amounts to being an SJW. People like this are incapable of giving nuanced analysis, arbitrarily discounting anything that inconveniences them as "fiction" while going on to list other "plot holes" -- just unprincipled political relativists that plague our world today. I really wish there was a site or a club that excludes these demagogues that get in the way of adults having a discussion.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Apr 28, 2022 4:30 PM

Dec 2021
LostSpectre said:
I like how the OP has just abandoned this thread after realizing that there's virtually no one who actually agrees with them.

kstiemsma said:
LostSpectre said:

lol if you look at the blog she linked it was made six days ago with one article that has only a single interaction. both her and the author are trans women, hmmmmm. very clearly just trying to self promo her blog

..... the rabbit hole gets deeper ..
Apr 28, 2022 4:49 PM

Jan 2022
"Old anime bad because they're problematic." Is such a garbage take imo, there are anime released in the last few years with "problematic" content (I really hate that word now due to woke people misusing it). As long as you're aware of the offensive content (and it's debatable whether or not most of the things people complain about in anime are actually offensive) consuming so-called problematic media should not be an issue.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » AI is now capable to create animation

DrkSeid69 - 7 hours ago

18 by POORUYO »»
5 minutes ago

» What is your first impression on studio (part-6) : KYOANI? ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Jan 9

58 by ArpitPatel »»
15 minutes ago

» Anime peaked in 1998 ( 1 2 )

Iron_Leopard - Jun 6

56 by IKKIsama »»
31 minutes ago

» What's your most anticipated anime from summer 2024 ?

ZXEAN - 10 hours ago

20 by Morphun »»
49 minutes ago

» Why aren't there more political / historical anime?

mahrjose - Yesterday

14 by Slimsith »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.