Forum Settings
Forums

Why women watch anime? Aren't they repulsed by being costantly reduced to objects?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Mar 4, 2018 7:52 AM

Feb 2010
What's up recently with people on alt accounts created on the same daymaking bait threads while wearing avatars of my favorite shows? First the Bebop dude with the generic elitist attitude, now it's Steven Universe with a pathetic attempt at imitating a stereotypical SJW.

The sad thing is how it probably works and people will judge these shows based on those users :/.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 4, 2018 7:53 AM

Dec 2015
EcchiKnightDarek said:
Bobby2Hands said:

You can't report a legitimate thread just because you don't like it.
Now stop bragging about being a snide little dickhead who goes around reporting stuff.
There is two issues with that.

1) You very much can do that, it just will be denied.
2) This is not exactly a 'legitimate' thread.

Care to tell me how this is it not a legitimate thread?
Sep 2017
Valiaaant said:
Rei366 said:
They're constantly reduced to sex objects in most of those "art works".

But then why don't you see people complaning about movies?

Hmmmm good question. Why don't you join some movie forums and shitpost there instead? You'll notice the difference (because you are the cancerous species you're talking about, dumbass)
“There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground ... and miss."

May 2015
Oh goody, more SJW whining about 2D cartoon characters. I've definitely NEVER seen that before...

@Bobby2Hands "legitimate thread" Are we looking at the same thread here? Because it is anything but that. Have you seen OP's replies to anyone who doesn't argree with her?

May 2017
Pullman said:
What's up recently with people on alt accounts created on the same daymaking bait threads while wearing avatars of my favorite shows? First the Bebop dude with the generic elitist attitude, now it's Steven Universe with a pathetic attempt at imitating a stereotypical SJW.

The sad thing is how it probably works and people will judge these shows based on those posters :/.

what if it's just the same person doing all this
Mar 4, 2018 7:54 AM

Oct 2010
BaneofKermit said:
Valiaaant said:
@BaneofKermit Some of those ONLY SIX shows are from 2010, 2011 or 2014. I think that's funny considering the hundreds that come out every year.

As I said, I haven't watched a lot of anime so I can't really give the most extensive coverage but my point stands, there are shows that don't have fanservice (and more importantly are usually better than most shows)

I'll name a couple from this season as far as I'm aware:

VE
3-gatsu Season 2
Pop Team Epic
Takagi San
A Place Further Than The Universe
Cardcaptor Sakura
Ito Junji
The recent season of Gintama
Gauken Babysitters
Hakumei to Mikochi
Yowamushi Pedal: Glory Line
Osomatsu-San 2nd Season
All of the Cardgame shows and Beyblade

From personal experience, neither do Yuru Camp, Mitsuboshi Colors or After the rain.
Mar 4, 2018 7:55 AM

Feb 2010
BaneofKermit said:
Pullman said:

The sad thing is how it probably works and people will judge these shows based on those posters :/.

what if it's just the same person doing all this

Lol if they're just trying to trigger me they are doing a good job :>
Mar 4, 2018 7:55 AM

May 2017
Bobby2Hands said:
EcchiKnightDarek said:

1. Recently made account with no posts + blank list (alt probably)
2. Content in the thread made to anger many people as possible
3. OP refuses to concede any points and continues to dig their proverbial grave

The recipe for a successful bait thread has been born
Mar 4, 2018 7:56 AM

May 2017
jal90 said:
BaneofKermit said:

As I said, I haven't watched a lot of anime so I can't really give the most extensive coverage but my point stands, there are shows that don't have fanservice (and more importantly are usually better than most shows)

I'll name a couple from this season as far as I'm aware:

VE
3-gatsu Season 2
Pop Team Epic
Takagi San
A Place Further Than The Universe
Cardcaptor Sakura
Ito Junji
The recent season of Gintama
Gauken Babysitters
Hakumei to Mikochi
Yowamushi Pedal: Glory Line
Osomatsu-San 2nd Season
All of the Cardgame shows and Beyblade

From personal experience, neither do Yuru Camp, Mitsuboshi Colors or After the rain.

I didn't want to say Yuru Camp because of the hot springs scenes but yes to an extent
Mar 4, 2018 7:56 AM

Dec 2015
Kittens-kun said:
Oh goody, more SJW whining about 2D cartoon characters. I've definitely NEVER seen that before...

@Bobby2Hands "legitimate thread" Are we looking at the same thread here? Because it is anything but that. Have you seen OP's replies to anyone who doesn't argree with her?

Have you seen the replies of the people who don't agree with OP?
If anything they have been far more aggressive and salty.

Just because you don't agree with the OP doesn't mean that this isn't a legitimate thread.

Mar 4, 2018 7:57 AM

Oct 2010
BaneofKermit said:
jal90 said:

I didn't want to say Yuru Camp because of the hot springs scenes but yes to an extent

So does A place further than the universe (and After the rain has some nudity). It's a matter of focus and framing and it can't be less fanservicey in the case of Yuru Camp.
Mar 4, 2018 7:58 AM

May 2015
Bobby2Hands said:
Kittens-kun said:

Just because you don't agree with the OP doesn't mean that this isn't a legitimate thread.

I guess you're choosing to ignore her blatant passive-agressive tone in EVERY reply she's made because you actually agree with her delusions? Cool.

Mar 4, 2018 7:58 AM

Feb 2010
Bobby2Hands said:
Kittens-kun said:

We just know an obvious bait alt when we see one, who purposefully tries to feed into negative stereotypes about SJWs like that. If you don't see it you need to up your internet game tbh. The moment you take bait threads seriously you let the baiter win.

It'd be sad if this was a legitimate thread, but I really, really doubt it.
Mar 4, 2018 7:59 AM

Dec 2015
BaneofKermit said:
Bobby2Hands said:

If you think that the content of this thread is just to anger people then people really are pathetically delicate.

"oh noes, OP pointed out one of the things they think is bullshit about anime, whaaaaah!! OP is just a baiting shitposters"

You guys are pathetic, you can't even stand it when someone expresses an opinion different to yours.
Mar 4, 2018 8:00 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
@Deknijff

time to bring back a dead meme

I HAVE A THREEEEEAAAAAAAAADDDD

I HAVE A SHITPOOOOOOSSSSSTTTT

UGH....

SHITPOST THREEEEAAAAAAADDDDD

sorry OP...

just get out of the closet already... its people like you who's browsing history needs searching

is there ANYTHING ELSE that people want to talk about?
Mar 4, 2018 8:00 AM

Mar 2018
@BaneofKermit
@jal90

Around 15 shows out of 48, then?

Only 31% ? Still sounds a bit depressing and unfair.

Mar 4, 2018 8:02 AM
Feb 2018
Kittens-kun said:

It's a bait thread, genius. You right wings need to get smarter if you want to bitch about the seeejeeewaaayyyy taking over anime.
Mar 4, 2018 8:02 AM

Aug 2015
i'm not sure about the quality of this thread but i can say as a girl i really dislike all the fanservice in anime.

i started watching anime when i was about 12 or so; back then i didn't really care but since then i have become much more sensitive to how the portrayal of women in media affects women in real life — and i speak from experience here. seeing women sexualized as a child affected me and my perception of my body/other women a lot. i think it is the same for a lot of young girls in japan as well.

the anime industry is dominated by men — just look at the ratio of male to female directors. while this is of course very depressing to me, i don't want to stop enjoying a medium i love just because of fanservice. i try to avoid shows with it when i can, but when it inevitably shows up, there is not much i can do but try not to let it get to me.
Mar 4, 2018 8:03 AM
Sep 2017
Valiaaant said:
@BaneofKermit
@jal90

Just gonna regurgitate my own post cause you're AMAZING at selectively responding to posts.
Why not take a look at the 10 most popular anime on MAL? Fanservice score is 1/10 (SAO)
“There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground ... and miss."

Mar 2018
And please, stop occupying space and replies with questions about the legitimacy of my thread, because it is indeed.

You can't just call everything "bait".

Oct 2010
Bobby2Hands said:
BaneofKermit said:

If you think that the content of this thread is just to anger people then people really are pathetically delicate.

"oh noes, OP pointed out one of the things they think is bullshit about anime, whaaaaah!! OP is just a baiting shitposters"

You guys are pathetic, you can't even stand it when someone expresses an opinion different to yours.

I am trying to take this thread seriously, but do you really not see major red flags from:

1. Confirmed alt account
2. Created just today
3. Silly generalizations and assumptions about anime and the fanbase
4. No evidence shown, actually asking for evidence of the contrary
5. "I'm doing a survey/research about it"
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Pullman said:

The sad thing is how it probably works and people will judge these shows based on those users :/.

come on man

do you feel my constant pain now?

do you see where i come from? -___-
Mar 4, 2018 8:05 AM

May 2015
Valiaaant said:
@BaneofKermit
@jal90

Around 15 shows THEY'RE WATCHING, they aren't watching all the shows airing this season you know
Mar 4, 2018 8:06 AM
Sep 2017
Valiaaant said:
@BaneofKermit
@jal90

What if women choose to watch these 31% shows? They still count as anime right?
FYI, I'm not a fan of fanservice either, but this is too obvious a bait. I expect a better bait from whichever new account you decide to make.
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
@Knightmare_YK

i'd love to turn this thread into a show, but its hard to take these people seriously anymore

Dec 2015
jal90 said:
Bobby2Hands said:

I am trying to take this thread seriously, but do you really not see major red flags from:

1. Alt account
2. Created just today
3. Silly generalizations and assumptions about anime and the fanbase
4. No evidence shown, actually asking for evidence of the contrary
5. "I'm doing a survey/research about it"

According to OP it's an alt because they lost their other one
Silly generalizations? and no evidence?
Have you not watched anime, they are infamous for being pervy and you would either have to be blind or completely in denial to deny it.

Oct 2013
@EcchiGodMamsterP
the time has come. The time of dead memes has returned

everyone just post dead memes. This topic is stupid after all

just look OP trying to troll while very few are taking it seriously

Oct 2010
Valiaaant said:
@BaneofKermit
@jal90

Well, since I am watching 12 and only found major fanservice in 1 my percentage is 91,67%, 75% if you want to stretch it to not featuring some sort of fanservice, but whatever floats your boat.

Bobby2Hands said:
Have you not watched anime, they are infamous for being pervy and you would either have to be blind or completely in denial to deny it.

I have watched more anime than you so please don't try to bring that point to me. Not that it matters because right or not the OP hasn't presented evidence for their claims. The OP wants us to do their homework.
jal90Mar 4, 2018 8:11 AM
Mar 4, 2018 8:07 AM

Aug 2015
Valiaaant said:
Rei366 said:
They're constantly reduced to sex objects in most of those "art works".

But then why don't you see people complaning about movies? Can you make some examples of the horrible stuff that happens "so much" in US movies? I never saw any of that happening, it just doesn't happen in major or equal quantity as in anime.

Didn't see any in Star Wars, for example.

OP do you know geography and cultural difference?

Or maybe you don't know that anime is mostly Japanese? Or that Hollywood is located in the USA?

Sure thing movies nowadays don't exhibit women as objects but in my opinion it is just being hypocrite as women are actually often sexually harrased and assaulted.

I am sorry to say that but it is a fact : most people who consider women as object don't even need to watch anime. I am pretty sure Sir Weinstein doesn't have a MAL account and that he didn't watch Eromanga Sensei last season.

The implication of saying that anime is sexualizing women is just too narrow minded while it may be true to some extent. You have to acknowledge that anime is not the only thing that sexualizes women and just a simple exemple is commercials on TV.

And honestly imma say that I enjoy watching women being sexualized as much as I respect them because I know that anime is not real and that it doesn't apply to our society.I am sorry but everybody has the right to love what he likes : I love beautiful women in general what's the problem with that? I am pretty sure women love beautiful men as well.

Such arguments :"video games are making people violent" or " anime makes people more pervert" is just a generic bullshit and is the same as asking :"are you aware that anime is not real?".
If I am online it means I am not doing my maths homework. Plz don't tell my mom
Mar 4, 2018 8:08 AM
Sep 2017
EcchiGodMamsterP said:
@Knightmare_YK

i'd love to turn this thread into a show, but its hard to take these people seriously anymore

You don't have to. Just enjoy. That is the spirit of anime after all, and why we keep on returning to it despite everything.
Mar 4, 2018 8:10 AM

Aug 2017
Bungou Stray Dogs
K Project
Baccano
Free!
Psycho Pass

This animes do have really good looking men and can appeal to the female audience.

Fate Zero
Death Note
Shingeki No Kyojin
Death Parade
Gintama
Ajin
BNHA
Charlotte
Hyouka
Joker Game
Made in Abyss
Mushishi
Shiki
Zankyou no Terror

This animes hardly have much fanservice and are really enjoyable women can just ignore the ecchi genre if they are bothered by it and if they are not cool. I am a girl and I enjoy watching animes because they are entertaining as simple as that If I don't like ecchi I just ignore them and that's all.

and there are plenty of husbando type of characters in anime ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2018 8:10 AM
Jul 2018
Anime objectifies everyone, not just women.
Moreover I’ve already said that I’ve dropped multiple ecchi anime because I found the women to be gross. Less in an “objectification” sense and more in a “ugly” sense, though. There are very few ecchi harem shows that I actually like, most of which I hate, sans the Monogatari series (which I seriously enjoy).

If you see it, why can’t you just ignore it if it’s minor? As a woman, media objectifies everyone, that’s what I’ve observed. The intent of the objectification is to craft the illusion of a fantasy. The objectification is intended to portray everything as “perfect” compared to real life. It’s something that happens in western film & television too. Strong women can also be sexy women, who aren’t afraid of the way they look or their femininity.

By focusing on aspects that scream “no fun allowed”, you’re not going to have any fun watching the media around you.
removed-userMar 4, 2018 8:14 AM
Mar 4, 2018 8:13 AM

Mar 2018
BaneofKermit said:
Have you actually watched Star Wars? There was a whole controversy around Slave Leia in Episode 6 and how George Lucas "objectified women."

Really? I only watched episode 7 and 8 and i searched that only now, so maybe that's one example you got right. But again, star wars 6 is a movie made in 1983 and at the time women in comics and movie were costantly put there with revealing clothes just for pleasing the male viewers, so it's a thing of the past, movies and comics got a lot better about that nowadays.
Mar 4, 2018 8:15 AM

Dec 2015
jal90 said:
Valiaaant said:
@BaneofKermit
@jal90

Well, since I am watching 12 and only found major fanservice in 1 my percentage is 91,67%, 75% if you want to stretch it to not featuring some sort of fanservice, but whatever floats your boat.

Bobby2Hands said:

I have watched more anime than you so please don't try to bring that point to me. Not that it matters because right or not the OP hasn't presented evidence for their claims. The OP wants us to do their homework.

What do you want for evidence? A whole massive list of every bit of sexual objectification that has happened in anime? Come on, stop playing dumb, you and I both know that anime is notorious for sexually objectifying women, it's like...one of the things anime is most known for.
Mar 4, 2018 8:15 AM

Oct 2017
Valiaaant said:
I've looked through a lot of profiles here and there seem to be many women, which is really surprising considering that Japan's sexist views reduce them to mere fanservice material in 90% of anime shows.

Does this number come from an actual research or you just pull it from your ass, OP?
Mar 4, 2018 8:17 AM
Sep 2017
I wonder what next OP? "Anime is an insult to intelligent people! Anime portrays intelligent people add they have a solution for everything!! Not fair! Intelligent people have problems too!"
You know how stupid that sounds? Check your first post, you sound worse.
Mar 4, 2018 8:18 AM

Oct 2010
Bobby2Hands said:
What do you want for evidence? A whole list of every bit of sexual objectification that goes on in anime? Come on, stop playing dumb, you and I both know that anime is notorious for sexually objectifying women, it's like...one of the things anime is most known for.

An actual display of knowledge would be fine, for example citing anime from this season and looking in depth which ones have fanservice and which ones don't.

You are the one who is playing dumb here.
Mar 4, 2018 8:18 AM
Jul 2018
Bobby2Hands said:
EcchiKnightDarek said:

- Newly made account.
- Steven Universe Avatar because it is obviously an SJW cartoon.
- Only responding to comments that can lead into further baiting and flaming.
- Using the typical SJW memes, the likes of "Men speaking for females"

EDIT: Oh and the thread is made for research and OP wants to ask women right? If so, why is he ignoring every girl/woman that posts here instead of asking them further questions, HMMM, can it be OP is just baiting, OH I WONDER.

If this is not a alt-righter making a shitty alt account then I don't know what it is. Of course, you are free to be delusional, just like you are free to be wrong, do what you want.
removed-userMar 4, 2018 8:22 AM
Mar 4, 2018 8:19 AM

Sep 2016
You and @CherryLover should join forces and make mal great again.
I know its annoying seeing all those fanservice shows sometimes, but there are other shows that dont include fanservice. if you actually care to look
loolzMar 4, 2018 8:25 AM
Mar 4, 2018 8:19 AM
Sep 2017
Bobby2Hands said:
jal90 said:

What do you want for evidence? A whole massive list of every bit of sexual objectification that has happened in anime? Come on, stop playing dumb, you and I both know that anime is notorious for sexually objectifying women, it's like...one of the things anime is most known for.

I grudgingly admit that anime IS known for objectification. But it is known for, all anime are not like that, and it's surprisingly easy to avoid such shows. Do you, even for a moment, believe that 90% of anime objectify women?
Mar 4, 2018 8:20 AM

Jul 2015
@Valiaaant your obsession to prove others are "speaking in the name of females" usung the gender specified in their profiles is laughable. How about you stop getting offended for them and don't blame people for what you're doing?
Mar 4, 2018 8:21 AM

Dec 2015
jal90 said:
Bobby2Hands said:
What do you want for evidence? A whole list of every bit of sexual objectification that goes on in anime? Come on, stop playing dumb, you and I both know that anime is notorious for sexually objectifying women, it's like...one of the things anime is most known for.

An actual display of knowledge would be fine, for example citing anime from this season and looking in depth which ones have fanservice and which ones don't.

You are the one who is playing dumb here.

Again I'm not gonna sit here and give you an itemized list of evidence. If you wanna see all the objectification going on this season then just go look at all the gifs and MamsterP's profile page.

You know why this is a meme?

Because anime has a shit ton of sexual objectification, that's why.

EcchiKnightDarek said:
Bobby2Hands said:

- Newly made account.
- Steven Universe Avatar because it is obviously an SJW cartoon.
- Only responding to comments that can lead into further baiting and flaming.
- Using the typical SJW memes, the likes of "Men speaking for females"

If this is not a alt-righter making a shitty alt account then I don't know what it is. Of course, you are free to be delusional, just like you are free to be wrong, do what you want.

So SJW's are not allowed to express their opinions like everyone else here?
Doesn't seem fair to me.
Mar 4, 2018 8:22 AM

Mar 2018
@EcchiKnightDarek What should i have used to be taken seriously by everyone here, then? A profile pic with a semi-naked child?

And for the last time, i already admitted that this is a newly made account, there's no reason to repeat that every time.
Mar 4, 2018 8:22 AM
Sep 2017
Clebardman said:
@Valiaaant your obsession to prove others are "speaking in the name of females" usung the gender specified in their profiles is laughable. How about you stop getting offended for them and don't blame people for what you're doing?

Nah, that's probably a foreign concept to him. He's probably searching for some objectified pics to post on MAL as 'proof'
Mar 4, 2018 8:25 AM

Jan 2017
Is this a bait...

Either way I watch anime because I like anime
No more, no less

Also I'm very confused as to why this thread was even made in the first place
Mar 4, 2018 8:26 AM
Jul 2015
When you have to do all the mental effort for the OP, irritating.
Jul 2018
Bobby2Hands said:
Doesn't seem fair to me.
Are you serious? That is what I am saying here, it is not an SJW, just a shitty memer pretending to be one and baiting people.
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Women watch anime cause they enjoy the medium like everyone else. SJW's dont have a say in the matter and there are probably some smart SJW's out there who watch fanservice shows that degrade women and enjoy it for what it is cause they know society doesn't view them like that as a whole and there nothing wrong with degradation for both genders.

It's really not that hard to understand.

Aug 2015
Bobby2Hands said:

Doesn't seem fair to me.

The whole point of being a SJW is wrong. But hey we live in a world where freedom of speech is precious so please feel free to spread your self-righteous ideology.
If I am online it means I am not doing my maths homework. Plz don't tell my mom
Mar 4, 2018 8:28 AM

Dec 2015
KouhaiHasNoticed said:
Bobby2Hands said:

Doesn't seem fair to me.

The whole point of being a SJW is wrong. But hey we live in a world where freedom of speech is precious so please feel free to spread your self-righteous ideology.

Wait a second, what do you know of my "ideology" I don't remember mentioning jack shit about my ideologies.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Anime with better story than art

ST63LTH - 59 seconds ago

0 by ST63LTH »»
59 seconds ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 4 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

159 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
11 minutes ago

» Anime songs that give you goosebumps.

TsutanaiFuun - Today

32 by Israel_Is_Evil »»
12 minutes ago

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect. ( 1 2 3 )

Gashadokur0 - May 21

120 by eblf2013 »»
12 minutes ago

» Which CHARACTERS do you think inspired others? (physically or personalitywise)

IpreferEcchi - Mar 11

33 by Bruh69XD »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.