Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 29, 2012 7:22 AM

Jun 2011
I'm referring to a person who has always identified themself as the opposite of their birth gender, AND has undergone gender reassignment surgery.

So...would you marry a transgender? Like if your current partner (metaphorically speaking if need be) suddenly told you that they were actually born the opposite sex, would you still proceed to marry them?

I've been thinking of the meaning gender a lot recently, and it personally wouldn't faze me at all. If I truly love them for who they are, I should be able to look past this issue which they had no control over at birth. It's like rejecting someone just because they had a prior deformity that they had since surgically rectified. As a straight guy, I don't find anything wrong with a man experiencing attraction to someone who is effectively a girl, sans reproduction. I also happen to think that its somewhat more...romantic? O.o I mean, to be able to overcome such a hurdle that is today socially juvenile, is really a testament to the intensity and inextricability of their bond.

Am I just weird, or do you guys also mirror my sentiments? Discuss.

Some famous transgenders I know of:

Nong poy

ts harisu

Kayo Satoh
Revenant_Nov 30, 2012 7:56 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (15) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 29, 2012 7:29 AM

Feb 2012
I have absolutely no prejudice when it comes to this. I'm bisexual and whether is the particular person a man or a woman or a transsexual doesn't matter to me. I even find transsexuals and androgyny overall quite attractive.
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
Nov 29, 2012 7:34 AM

May 2009
No, no please no.
Nov 29, 2012 7:34 AM

Sep 2008
Yes I would. If I love someone enough to actually want to marry them then the fact that they're trans* isn't going to change that.

I'd be a little hurt that they kept it from me long enough for our relationship to have developed that far, though.
BlueOniNov 29, 2012 7:41 AM
もののあはれ。。。
Nov 29, 2012 7:37 AM

Jan 2011
I wouldn't have allowed myself to get to a point in the relationship without knowing ahead of time. If they lied about it up until that point, then l probably wouldn't because they kept such a big issue to themselves for so long without being honest about it with me. I don't think I can marry someone who would hide their very identity from me in fear I might reject them. I would have respected them more if they are upfront about it. At the very least, when the relationship begins and is accepted by both parties. l don't have a problem with transgenders/transsexuals, but I do have a problem with someone who is intentionally dishonest.
[color=#993300]
"I commend your courage, but I will show you no mercy."[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlCIPj1ZoM0]
[/color]
[/url]

Nov 29, 2012 7:37 AM

Jul 2012
Well I'm trans, so saying I would -never- consider marrying a trans* person would be hypocritical of me
Nov 29, 2012 7:40 AM
Jun 2012
Fuck no.
Nov 29, 2012 7:43 AM

Sep 2009
professor-salt said:
Well I'm trans, so saying I would -never- consider marrying a trans* person would be hypocritical of me

Not necessarily. I'm a guy, but I wouldn't marry a guy.

I cannot answer this question very well, since it is based on a number of big 'what if's but I can say that, all other things equal, the mere fact of them being a transgender would have no effect on my choice of life partner.
Nov 29, 2012 7:44 AM

Jun 2011
Failures said:
I wouldn't have allowed myself to get to a point in the relationship without knowing ahead of time. If they lied about it up until that point, then l probably wouldn't because they kept such a big issue to themselves for so long without being honest about it with me. I don't think I can marry someone who would hide their very identity from me in fear I might reject them. I would have respected them more if they are upfront about it. At the very least, when the relationship begins and is accepted by both parties. l don't have a problem with transgenders/transsexuals, but I do have a problem with someone who is intentionally dishonest.

Well I'd imagine that revealing the fact that they used to be a boy or girl, would be an immensely daunting task. It's not really something you can say on a first date, yanno? xD I can see where you're coming from, but I reckon this one of those few legitimate reasons where I think easing in the truth would be acceptable.
Nov 29, 2012 7:47 AM
Jul 2012
Hell no.
Nov 29, 2012 7:48 AM

Jul 2010
Well, I'm usually a open-minded person but for me, a trans will always be the sex it was at first, it's not some operation that will change your chromosomes. So for me, it's a no, since I'm straight.
Nov 29, 2012 7:53 AM

Jul 2012
Corleone said:
Well, I'm usually a open-minded person but for me, a trans will always be the sex it was at first, it's not some operation that will change your chromosomes. So for me, it's a no, since I'm straight.

Birth sex doesn't matter. A person who identifies as female is female.
Nov 29, 2012 7:56 AM

Jun 2009
Corleone said:

You do realize that there are a lot of genetic studies done on transsexuals, which generally indicate that they share the same 'properties' as the opposite sex? It's not quite as simple as you're making it out as. Going by these studies, they are quite literally, Female/Male brain-wise.

Of course there's a lot of studies on other factors as well, but biology does play a role.
Nov 29, 2012 8:12 AM

Jun 2012
JavierR said:
Hell no.

this.

that is disgusting, you can chop off your penis but you will always be a guy.

Im not gay.
Nov 29, 2012 8:16 AM

Jul 2012
Shuhan said:
JavierR said:
Hell no.

this.

Im not gay.

Being attracted to a transwoman isn't gay.
Nov 29, 2012 8:17 AM
Mar 2012
Shuhan said:
JavierR said:
Hell no.

this.

Im not gay.

Good job being close-minded. Also isn't it a bit ironic how the thing he quoted had "hell" in it.

I don't think I am able to say no. Though for now I will, I don't believe I would love and marry someone even formerly of the opposite sex, simply because I am attracted to the aspects of both body and mind of the female gender.
KarpmanNov 29, 2012 10:33 AM
Nov 29, 2012 8:18 AM

Nov 2011
No.
Nov 29, 2012 8:23 AM
Jun 2012
fuck no. never.
Nov 29, 2012 8:29 AM

Dec 2011
Depends on their personality since I don't give a damn if my lover is the same gender as me or not.
Nov 29, 2012 8:31 AM
Dec 2011
NO NEVER
Nov 29, 2012 8:33 AM

Aug 2009
Every time I would be with "her" I would think that "she" used to be a man.So no.It isnt that different from homosexuality.At least thats how I look at it.If "she'" told me after we started the relationship,I would break up with "her".

Just because they "dont have a male body" anymore I wouldnt like them more than a woman.Wouldnt it be,not sure about the word,disrespectful(?) towards women,if what separates them from a male transsexual are breasts and a vagina?
ssjokgNov 29, 2012 8:40 AM
Nov 29, 2012 8:34 AM

Jun 2012
professor-salt said:
Being attracted to a transwoman isn't gay.

Yes it is, you cant just change genders like, sure you can surgically. But what you are born as is what you are born as.

So thats gay. Anyone who says they would is gay.

Karpman said:
Good job being close-minded. Also isn't it a bit ironic how the thing he quoted had "hell" in it.

I don't think I am able to say no. Though for now I will, I don't believe I would like someone even formerly of the opposite sex.

Not being closed minded, saying it how it is.
Nov 29, 2012 8:40 AM
Mar 2012
Shuhan said:

Try saying that against to all the people who changed their genders. There are a lot of them. There are lots of people who are men by biological nature who have way more female natures and characteristics then some of the more manly women. Vice versa for the other part of course.
Nov 29, 2012 8:46 AM

Jun 2012
Karpman said:
Shuhan said:

Try saying that against to all the people who changed their genders. There are a lot of them. There are lots of people who are men by biological nature who have way more female natures and characteristics then some of the more manly women. Vice versa for the other part of course.

By saying they act more feminine is sexist. It means you give into gender stereotypes. Just because you are a guy and you like things like cooking, fashion, or ballet (Idk really) that doesnt make you like a female, dont give intot he social norms and you wont feel like you need to switch genders. Pressure created by society drives these people to alter themselves surgically.
Nov 29, 2012 8:49 AM

Aug 2009
@Shuhan
Pressure?I dont think so.I am pretty sure most if not all people would alter themselves surgically if they didnt like having the body the opposite sex from what they feel like they belong to.

I think that the pressure from society is what makes most of them to NOT alter themselves.(fear,sexism,discrimination)
Nov 29, 2012 8:51 AM

Jun 2009
Typical MAL filled with a bunch of insecure 12 year olds. A simple "no" is fine, albeit boring and completely void of discussion.

Anyway, this isn't really something I've put a lot of thought into, in the past. For me, I guess it depends on whether or not the person is post- or pre-operation. Considering I'm willing to date either males or females, having the entire person' body in tact would matter quite a lot to me. For example, why would I date a post-op male, when I can just date another who was born physically as a male, thus would have all of their parts functioning?

Either way, I think my answer would likely still be "yes". But what I said before would still matter a great deal, but just not so much that it would be a deal-breaker, I guess.
TrapaliciousNov 29, 2012 8:54 AM
Nov 29, 2012 8:52 AM
Mar 2012
Shuhan said:
By saying they act more feminine is sexist. It means you give into gender stereotypes. Just because you are a guy and you like things like cooking, fashion, or ballet (Idk really) that doesnt make you like a female, dont give intot he social norms and you wont feel like you need to switch genders. Pressure created by society drives these people to alter themselves surgically.

It is not a sexist remark, rather I find it to be more of a generalization. Most of the reasons a guy or girl becomes of the different gender is because they do not feel like the gender they are/were.

A guy/girl won't change themselves if they only have the hobbies of the different gender, if this were so easy to do. Then we would have lots of transsexuals walking around.
Nov 29, 2012 8:54 AM

Jun 2011
I personally wouldn't. Even with surgery and hormones, it wouldn't be the same as a biological female to me.

I don't have a problem with them getting married though, it's just not something I'm attracted to.
Nov 29, 2012 8:55 AM

May 2011
Shuhan said:
Pressure created by society drives these people to alter themselves surgically.

Not trying to get into the war; however, from what I have learned in my psychology class transgenders actually do better once they have the surgery (a lot of transgenders have depression, self-esteem issues and a lot more) and the surgery helps them because their outside appearance now reflects what they feel on the inside. Sure society and the status-quo may be a part of it; however, transgenders have to do it for themselves (that’s why they have to go through lots of therapy before they can have the surgery).

EDIT: is something wrong with the quote codes?
Midnight_RaysNov 29, 2012 9:13 AM
Nov 29, 2012 8:59 AM

Jul 2012
Sora_N said:

EDIT: is something wrong with the quote codes?

BBC code's disabled, I believe
Nov 29, 2012 9:00 AM

Jun 2008
A very easy no....
Nov 29, 2012 9:01 AM

May 2009
sadly it is, I wonder for how long.
Nov 29, 2012 9:01 AM

Sep 2012
I gonna go to thailand to test out my theory about trasnsexuals, i will answer my results around 1/2013
Nov 29, 2012 9:02 AM

Jun 2009
Shuhan said:
Pressure created by society drives these people to alter themselves surgically.

Stop trying to give your perspective on a topic you're utterly uneducated on. As I've already said on page one, there are numerous studies which show a biological backing for transsexualism. You fail to realize that transsexualism is generally seen in children at very young ages; at this point they barely even understand societies' rules when it comes to gender.
Nov 29, 2012 9:03 AM

Jul 2007
Sure, why wouldn't I?
Nov 29, 2012 9:03 AM

Jul 2012
Shuhan said:
Karpman said:

I was never pressured by society :\
Nov 29, 2012 9:05 AM

Nov 2010
I would have to be in that situation to know for sure, I would hope that I would be a person who wouldn't mind that. Though I wouldn't like it if it was hidden from me.
Nov 29, 2012 9:05 AM

Aug 2009
OP can you add a poll to the thread?Just curious.

Hmm weird.I dont see any religious bigots here.Maybe it's too soon for them to rage about transsexuals?
Nov 29, 2012 9:16 AM

May 2011
professor-salt said:

Religious people don't believe transsexuals really exist.

Heck, most religious people don’t think homosexuals really exist either….
Nov 29, 2012 9:25 AM
Mar 2012
Sora_N said:

That is quite the overstatement, actually not every Christian (which is the religion second to Islam to disagree with homosexuality) thinks that way. Lots have their own thoughts and aren't blindingly following their God's guidance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwvWGitYWIs
Nov 29, 2012 9:29 AM

Jul 2011

Depends.
I'm overall more drawn to unisex/androgyny than I am to either gender - i.e rather attracted to feminine/masculine energies than actual physical gender/sex attributes (XX or XY).
A female who can naturally and effortlessly channel a masculine energy is somehow more attractive than a male who exudes the same thing and vice versa.

But more importantly, people who are comfortable in their own skin and don't see their physique as being restrictive to who they are and want to be in life.
So when it comes to a transgender partner, it'd depend on how much of a deal their gender is to them - because to me people's gender and sex will always be something secondary and trivial, be it the manliest of men or girliest of women. If you connect with a person, you just do.

The real question would be if they'd really want that, someone who cannot truly sympathize with the notion of gender.
Nov 29, 2012 9:31 AM

Jun 2008
I was a Christian for about 20 years so I can speak a little bit about religion and homosexuality/transsexuals.

--Not all of them but some Christians believe that gays are the way they are because they are being possessed by a demon of homosexuality.

--The majority of them absolutely reject the notion that one is born gay.

--Transsexuals are considered way worse than gays....after all, you can "pray the gay" away!

--Some Christians also believe that gays are in rebellion against society and they know full well they weren't born that way.

I could go on, but I think you guys see the picture.
Nov 29, 2012 9:34 AM

May 2011
Karpman said:
Sora_N said:

That is quite the overstatement, actually not every Christian (which is the religion second to Islam to disagree with homosexuality) thinks that way. Lots have their own thoughts and aren't blindingly following their God's guidance.

I said MOST, not all or every. :P
Nov 29, 2012 9:36 AM
Mar 2012
Sora_N said:
I said MOST, not all or every. :P

I meant that it was an overstatement that the majority doesn't know about it, I am pretty sure far more than the majority knows about its actual existence. Though the video I have shown isn't completely accurate neither, lots of them are still against the concept of it.
Nov 29, 2012 9:39 AM

Jun 2008
Karpman said:

here's the thing though...

If a christian says "Yes, homosexuals are born that way" then they are contradicting their bible.

Therefore a lot of them would NEVER say that, they would make other excuses.
Nov 29, 2012 9:40 AM

Aug 2009
Karpman said:
Lots have their own thoughts and aren't blindingly following their God's guidance.

Implying that God actually said to hate gays and transsexuals and anyone that isnt a Christian.

It's not about blindingly following God's guidance,it's about them chosing parts of His guidance and dismiss other parts.Or even invent new ones
Nov 29, 2012 9:51 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Absolutely not.
Nov 29, 2012 9:55 AM

Jun 2012
Hmm.. Don't think so.
Until he will change his sex than he would be unhappy, as I head most of them commit suicide.
Nov 29, 2012 10:06 AM

Dec 2008
The issue of reproduction would make me think hard about it, but I probably would still marry them.
Nov 29, 2012 10:07 AM
Mar 2012
JustALEX said:
here's the thing though...

If a christian says "Yes, homosexuals are born that way" then they are contradicting their bible.

Therefore a lot of them would NEVER say that, they would make other excuses.

Actually, they would just be agnostic. They would disagree with God and one of his sayings. Not all is black or white.

ssjokg said:

Implying that God actually said to hate gays and transsexuals and anyone that isnt a Christian.

It's not about blindingly following God's guidance,it's about them chosing parts of His guidance and dismiss other parts.Or even invent new ones

I could go down that route too. "Implying God talks." But I haven't deepened myself in the society of Christianity, but there are extremes, people who casually believe and other variations as well. Not every Christian or any other religious person will think outside the box. Some will take the twisted extreme views of the what I call bad part of religion as the truth.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (15) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» do u guys have friends irl? ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Nov 7, 2023

108 by 707supremacist »»
3 minutes ago

» How much soda do you drink in a week? ( 1 2 )

HunteerX - May 16

66 by 707supremacist »»
6 minutes ago

» Plummeting Birthrates Is a Good Thing

vasipi4946 - May 28

16 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Anyone ever commission anime art?

ACasualViewer - May 27

15 by ACasualViewer »»
2 hours ago

» What does your username mean? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

59 by ACasualViewer »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.