Forum Settings
Forums

Dreams that most of the time are impossible to reach.

New
Sep 19, 2012 3:07 PM
Jun 2010
When you have something that you dreamed in your entire life, do you still want to chase it? Or you lose hope and forget about your dream?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 23, 2012 4:56 AM

Sep 2012
Well that's a nice thought. But they probably look at their phone because people are addicted to their cell phones.
Sep 23, 2012 5:19 AM

Sep 2012
dreamt i could fly...broke a leg...gave up hope
..this space under construction...
Sep 23, 2012 5:21 AM

Jul 2011
Easy, I live in a dream.
I don't think dreams are something we reach and that's it, they're always with us. You've got to dream and envision; life's otherwise empty, boring and unproductive.
Sep 23, 2012 5:29 AM
Dec 2010
Yes. and Yes.

And then I get reminded about my own dream, and start chasing it again.
Sep 23, 2012 5:31 AM

Aug 2012
I kinda started living mine. Lets see how it will end up...
Sep 23, 2012 5:56 AM

Jun 2010
I'd always wanted to be some sort of a scientist. I'm pursuing that dream right now.

Also,
Sic said:
You've got to dream and envision; life's otherwise empty, boring and unproductive.

I couldn't agree more. If you don't erect goals in your life, regardless of whether you end up achieving them, you will lead a very dull life.
Sep 23, 2012 6:37 AM

Sep 2012
Hitchens said:
I'd always wanted to be some sort of a scientist. I'm pursuing that dream right now.

Same here! The best part about that dream is that there are always things waiting to be discovered.
"Open your closed mind and close your open mouth."
Sep 23, 2012 6:51 AM
Mar 2012
Occupation-wise? No. I know so as I am studying world's most boring subjects right now... But I always like learning a bit more about culture and languages, though this is more of a hobby than a dream.
Sep 23, 2012 7:18 AM

Sep 2012
Here was my brother's dream: Wait for it, wait for it.
BEING A FIRETRUCK.
Sep 23, 2012 8:05 AM

Feb 2005
I don't really have any.
If you ask me, hope is the first step on the road to disappointment, so I'd rather eschew any dreams or plans for the future and just focus on keeping myself entertained on a day to day basis.

Also if it's impossible to reach, then I'd rather call it a fantasy, like, sure I'd want to be a interstellar explorer and find lots of cool alien ruins and shit, but we all know that's not going to happen anytime soon.
Sep 23, 2012 8:21 AM

Mar 2012
nothing is impossible!
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Sep 23, 2012 8:23 AM

Jul 2007
NicoleB said:
nothing is impossible!
I'll just go conquer the galaxy right now then.
Sep 23, 2012 8:24 AM

Mar 2012
Scud said:
NicoleB said:
nothing is impossible!
I'll just go conquer the galaxy right now then.

I would wish you good luck, but I don't know your policies on many things, so I'm not sure I want you ruling the galaxy.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Sep 23, 2012 8:34 AM

Jul 2012
i always wanted to be a professor. but silly me got a BA and went to Connecticut with my now ex-husban and settled into a shit job. Back then i definitely had the potential. now my brain is rotted and i'd have to read volumes of complex theory to catch up. i think i give up :(

tho now i would like to be an addiction counselor. pays shit, but it hits close to home. they say its a miserable profession b/c you will start to care about your patients and then they will relapse and bottom out. a bit grim.
Sep 23, 2012 8:36 AM

Mar 2012
daintybiscuit said:
i always wanted to be a professor. but silly me got a BA and went to Connecticut with my now ex-husban and settled into a shit job. Back then i definitely had the potential. now my brain is rotted and i'd have to read volumes of complex theory to catch up. i think i give up :(

tho now i would like to be an addiction counselor. pays shit, but it hits close to home. they say its a miserable profession b/c you will start to care about your patients and then they will relapse and bottom out. a bit grim.

Neither of those are impossible, you can definitely do it if you try too.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Sep 23, 2012 8:47 AM

Sep 2009
Ouch. There are loads of forty and fifty year old people here at college with me training to become something they've always wanted to be. I think you are underestimating yourself and your brain.
Sep 23, 2012 8:48 AM

Mar 2012
KentaTC said:
Ouch. There are loads of forty and fifty year old people here at college with me training to become something they've always wanted to be. I think you are underestimating yourself and your brain.

Definitely, nothing is impossible, people just give up.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Sep 23, 2012 8:53 AM

Sep 2011

as well as

these guys could make it, why cant you, never give up
JizzyHitlerSep 23, 2012 8:56 AM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 23, 2012 9:02 AM

Jun 2012
NicoleB said:

Remind me this http://youtu.be/IG9sz0v1zdA?t=1m10s

Anyway, I'm myself living the dream.

I sometime have funky grammar, sorry about that. If you can correct some of my post, you would be an angel.
Sep 23, 2012 9:05 AM
Jun 2012
tokumei-ko said:
dreamt i could fly...broke a leg...gave up hope

Why give up?

Well I never stop, One step closer everyday!
Sep 23, 2012 9:12 AM
Jun 2012
i have lots of dreams but the older i grow the more the harshness of reality kicks in so i guess i am better off being realistic
Sep 23, 2012 9:12 AM

Jun 2010
NicoleB said:
nothing is impossible!

I want to travel faster than the speed of light while tunneling through space-time to pay a visit to orgy-land.
Sep 23, 2012 9:15 AM
Sep 2012
My dreams are very fleeting, though I guess I could say I want to be a nurse. That would take me having the money and the work ethic, though.
Sep 23, 2012 9:16 AM

Mar 2012
Hapax said:
NicoleB said:

Remind me this http://youtu.be/IG9sz0v1zdA?t=1m10s

Anyway, I'm myself living the dream.

Even seen that show yet I don't think.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Sep 23, 2012 9:17 AM

Mar 2012
Hitchens said:
NicoleB said:
nothing is impossible!

I want to travel faster than the speed of light while tunneling through space-time to pay a visit to orgy-land.

Best of luck with that.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Sep 23, 2012 9:17 AM
Jan 2012
Our dreams change as we change as individuals.
It's when we truly become adults that we acquire our own set of beliefs, values and morals. We then set targets, and dreams so to speak.
It's people who give up on their dreams that are either:

A) satisfied with their life
or
B) Weak

People who haven't experienced true despair are the ignorant ones.
It's lack of people fulfilling their dreams and ambitions that makes this democracy and indeed world we live in so lax and hence everything is taken for granted.

Everyone has the potential to self-actualize but it is the strong willed realists who succeed.
Sep 23, 2012 9:43 AM

Apr 2010
If you think your dreams are impossible to reach, then dream more realistically.
Sep 23, 2012 9:48 AM

Jul 2012
loving the pep talk ^^ tx a bunch
Sep 23, 2012 9:49 AM

Aug 2012
I have dreams but I stopped chasing them because I'm quite satisfied with my life for now.

Also, this.
Kaiinel said:
If you think your dreams are impossible to reach, then dream more realistically.
Necro-samaSep 23, 2012 9:53 AM
Sep 23, 2012 9:52 AM

Mar 2012
Most people, if not all, have at least some extremely unrealistic goals. We vastly overestimate our own abilities, and the influence that those abilities have on the result, while we negate the importance of chance. You very well may have the skills to accomplish something, but that by no means suggests that it's likely you actually will. Often the bigger the accomplishment, the higher the uncertainty. It's called the illusion of control, or planners fallacy. We picture the end goal and imagine feasible means to get there, disregarding all relevant information that might suggest failure.

This is why, most of the time, estimated costs for buildings, renovations, etc. are ridiculously wrong. (actual costs are much higher)

The worst part is that even most people who understand this, including myself (although I wouldn't say I have a great understanding of it), still conform to it. I refuse to let go of certain dreams that I know are statistically unlikely.
JoshSep 23, 2012 10:02 AM
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Sep 23, 2012 10:10 AM

Mar 2012
Post-Josh said:
I refuse to let go of certain dreams that I know are statistically unlikely.

And you shouldn't.

Because it doesn't really matter how unrealistic something is.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Sep 23, 2012 10:17 AM

Mar 2012
NicoleB said:
Post-Josh said:
I refuse to let go of certain dreams that I know are statistically unlikely.

And you shouldn't.

Because it doesn't really matter how unrealistic something is.

That's the problem though. We all agree on something that is clearly irrational, haha. Of course, you could argue that you can't quantify the value of "chasing your dreams" even if you don't succeed, or something like that.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Sep 23, 2012 10:23 AM

Sep 2009
Hitchens said:
NicoleB said:
nothing is impossible!

It hasn't been proven impossible. The possibility exists.
Sep 23, 2012 10:26 AM

Nov 2011
Still training to defeat a Grizzly bear in a fist fight. Won't actually face one till I'm sure I have more than 5% chance of survival.
The Art of Eight
Sep 23, 2012 10:26 AM

Jul 2007
KentaTC said:
Hitchens said:
NicoleB said:
nothing is impossible!

He couldn't conceivably do that in his lifetime.
Sep 23, 2012 10:33 AM

Mar 2008
My dream is statistically highly unlikely. But I have little other reason to live, so it is what I will pursue.
Sep 23, 2012 10:51 AM

Sep 2009
Scud said:
KentaTC said:
Hitchens said:
NicoleB said:
nothing is impossible!

You could only say that if you knew his lifespan and the collective rate of innovation of Humanity. I still think it is possible, although I must admit it does seem somewhat unlikely.
Sep 23, 2012 10:52 AM

Jul 2012
dankickyou said:
Still training to defeat a Grizzly bear in a fist fight. Won't actually face one till I'm sure I have more than 5% chance of survival.

yeps, i would pay to see that in the ring!
Sep 23, 2012 11:10 AM
Jan 2012
Post-Josh said:
Most people, if not all, have at least some extremely unrealistic goals. We vastly overestimate our own abilities, and the influence that those abilities have on the result, while we negate the importance of chance. You very well may have the skills to accomplish something, but that by no means suggests that it's likely you actually will. Often the bigger the accomplishment, the higher the uncertainty. It's called the illusion of control, or planners fallacy. We picture the end goal and imagine feasible means to get there, disregarding all relevant information that might suggest failure.

This is why, most of the time, estimated costs for buildings, renovations, etc. are ridiculously wrong. (actual costs are much higher)

The worst part is that even most people who understand this, including myself (although I wouldn't say I have a great understanding of it), still conform to it. I refuse to let go of certain dreams that I know are statistically unlikely.

Yeah, you guys should listen to what Josh said, it is basically an elaboration of one of my points.
Sep 23, 2012 1:04 PM
Jul 2018
life sucks anyway
Sep 23, 2012 2:12 PM

Aug 2009
When a person gives up on their dreams, they've given up on their reason for living.

My three dreams are going to UW/living in Seattle (which I am right now), going to Burning Man at least once, and going to every country in Europe.

My Europe dream isn't very realistic, but it gives me something to look forward to. Even as far to say that it gives me something to live for.
Sep 23, 2012 3:13 PM

Mar 2012
ycart59 said:
My Europe dream isn't very realistic

Why not? You can literally come to Europe, rent a car and do that pretty easily.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Sep 23, 2012 3:42 PM

Mar 2012
Ryokami said:
It's certainly not as easy as you might think.

And it's definitely not as difficult as she thinks.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Sep 23, 2012 3:46 PM
Jul 2012
I try to live by one quote:
"Instead of planning your next vacation, make a life you don't have to escape from."
I'm not out of school yet, but I'll chase what I desire until the death of me. I'd much rather be poor and happy than rich and depressed.
-GrayZOX
Sep 23, 2012 4:13 PM

Nov 2011
"Dreams" sounds awful, I'm a realistic person, I don't have dreams, I have goals and an objective in my life

More important, if you are not happy with who you are and what you have right now, you will definitely not be happy when you reach your "dream"
Sep 23, 2012 4:42 PM

Jul 2012
my other dream is to live in Cape Cod. Lower. Where you will never find a job and shopkeepers in PTown struggle to merely exist.

this might be harder than becoming a professor ^^ hehe
Sep 23, 2012 6:18 PM

Aug 2009
NicoleB said:
Ryokami said:
It's certainly not as easy as you might think.

And it's definitely not as difficult as she thinks.

I plan on going to Europe no matter what. It's just the "every country" part that's going to be really difficult.
Sep 23, 2012 7:14 PM

Jul 2011
dream isn't something we must reach, dream is a tool for boosting our motivation.
Sep 23, 2012 7:30 PM

Jun 2010
KentaTC said:
Scud said:
KentaTC said:
Hitchens said:
NicoleB said:
nothing is impossible!

You could only say that if you knew his lifespan and the collective rate of innovation of Humanity. I still think it is possible, although I must admit it does seem somewhat unlikely.

It is impossible by definition. I mentioned faster than light travel - this is impossible in every sense of the word. This speed limit cannot be violated by anything whatever. The tunneling bit is plausible, apparently, but I don't know much about it to be sure. But disregarding all that, how do you figure I'll get to orgy-land?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

836 by Crawlie »»
6 minutes ago

» I think zodiac signs are more real than people think ( 1 2 )

Taiyaa - Oct 13, 2023

51 by Togorot »»
37 minutes ago

» Favorite places in Japan(to thos who have been to Japan) and where would you like to visit in the future when you go again? ( 1 2 )

KiraraFan - May 7

66 by UhOhSPAGET »»
2 hours ago

» Anime conventions

Lisara999 - Sep 23, 2020

9 by animeadept »»
2 hours ago

» Going to an anime convention later this month

Rainissance - Jan 7, 2020

10 by animeadept »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.