Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 8, 2012 4:10 AM

Aug 2012
Is anyone else bothered by people who don't know the difference between anime and
cartoons?
I showed anime to a couple of people and they where like " Dude isn't that for kids ? "
Witch is their loss ...
Anyone else had that experience ?
"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive.Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
see you space cowboy...

Pages (13) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 8, 2012 4:15 AM

Aug 2012
Uhm.. sure? Everyone has that if you share your anime experiences with friends for the first time...

It probably has to do with growing up with anime like pokemon or any other older ones >.<

It's pretty obvious that anime isn't just for kids.. Let's also say, some anime isn't made for kids.
Aug 8, 2012 4:18 AM

Mar 2009
It's annoying but they're dumbasses. That's it.
Aug 8, 2012 4:18 AM

Jul 2012
No, but I've met people who say that anime -isn't- for kids.
Aug 8, 2012 4:20 AM

Feb 2012
People like that are just plain stupid and you should not bother them.
Even cartoons are not always for children (Happy Tree Friends, South Park, Simpsons, there is a lot of them), and who doesn't realize that and just put every animated serie in the same bag, then there is no point in arguing with them.
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
Aug 8, 2012 4:21 AM
Apr 2009
Show them Elfen Lied.

Though for some reason it didn't change my Dad's opinion on calling it "gay stuff", and I don't watch any yaoi at all.
Aug 8, 2012 4:26 AM
Nov 2010
Ok, relax and do what you like.
Aug 8, 2012 4:27 AM

Jun 2011
Anime? Isn't that one of 'em Chinese girl cartoons?
Aug 8, 2012 4:32 AM

Sep 2011
Jenii said:
Anime? Isn't that one of 'em Chinese girl cartoons?

You mean like Avatar?
Aug 8, 2012 4:38 AM
May 2009
No its not just for Children, However Children Anime are pretty entertaining.

Its also the same for Cartoons, there are cartoons that are made for adults. Just like Hentai is made for Adults.

The bbc released a article on Graphic Novels. and explained that Manga is made for both Adults and Children and loved by all ages.
Aug 8, 2012 4:41 AM

Feb 2012
You should've showed them Bible Black. Works everytime.
Aug 8, 2012 4:42 AM
Aug 2012
Please, it kills me enough whenever I tell someone dragon ball is a Japanese anime and they respond with "No it isn't. It's in English so it was made in America or something." Same thing with pokemon.

If someone tells you Anime is for children then who cares. Sucks for them, they miss out on some really interesting plots that you may not find anywhere else.
Aug 8, 2012 4:45 AM

Aug 2011
If someone tells me anime is children I show them the last 10 minutes of School Days, problem solved.
Aug 8, 2012 4:47 AM

Aug 2012
aleios said:
Please, it kills me enough whenever I tell someone dragon ball is a Japanese anime and they respond with "No it isn't. It's in English so it was made in America or something." Same thing with pokemon.

If someone tells you Anime is for children then who cares. Sucks for them, they miss out on some really interesting plots that you may not find anywhere else.

so true ...
you can just do so much more with a series when its not with real actors or sets
"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive.Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
see you space cowboy...

Aug 8, 2012 4:47 AM

Jan 2012
mitch3315 said:
If someone tells me anime is children I show them the last 10 minutes of Yosuga no Sora, problem solved.

Fixed there, no trolling intended.
---
Aug 8, 2012 4:49 AM

Aug 2011
NK_500 said:
mitch3315 said:
If someone tells me anime is children I show them the last 10 minutes of Yosuga no Sora, problem solved.

Both would work equally well.

Could also just show Genocyber, or some select scenes out of Highrashi.

Or even hit 'em with a little goosh goosh.
Aug 8, 2012 5:05 AM
May 2010
mitch3315 said:
NK_500 said:
mitch3315 said:

Both would work equally well.

Could also just show Genocyber, or some select scenes out of Highrashi.

Or even hit 'em with a little goosh goosh.

You know, those things WILL show its not all for children.. they will also make sure they never think of anime as anything but messed up again. Then again, that might not be a bad thing.

On a totally unrelated note, your list wins at life, mitch3315. Just sayin.
Worships Asparagus.
Aug 8, 2012 5:06 AM

May 2012
People likte that are just ignorant.
Show them some horror anime or something. And they will probably change their mind right away.
Aug 8, 2012 5:14 AM

May 2012
Yes, everybody here has had that experience, I guess.
I convinced one of my friends to watch 'Death note' and another one to read 'Monster'. They both liked it and said that they definetly weren't for children. But on the other hand, all the other anime fans that I know in real life seem to like very childish and girly anime, so that won't really help to convince other people that anime isn't only made for children.
Aug 8, 2012 5:27 AM

Apr 2012
Funny to see this topic this week. I had my parents over for the weekend and they are about to go on a long trip with there RV. So mom picked up a few things and I suggested Clannad to her. Now she did say no, but she does not know what she is missing IMHO.

I am sure she would like this.. Oh well.

Aug 8, 2012 5:49 AM

Dec 2009
My dad was like that until I showed him the first 10 minutes of Elfen Lied.
Aug 8, 2012 5:53 AM

Aug 2012
Won't the horror scare away your friends? o.o
Aug 8, 2012 6:32 AM

Apr 2011
I always show them this

Works every time, because it defines awesome.
Aug 8, 2012 7:05 AM

Jul 2011
They just haven't seen any anime. That's all.
Aug 8, 2012 7:15 AM

Nov 2011
Yeah, people like that bug me a lot. Anime is more or less an art, where each work is slightly different and defines how you see the story. That's why I usually prefer it to live action stuff. (Except for both The Crow and Donnie Darko)

I'd show them Clannad, of course. If that doesn't work, then there's always Elfen Lied.
Aug 8, 2012 7:18 AM

Apr 2009
I usually try to show people who say that the first fight scene in Hellsing: Ultimate. That way they know it's not for kids, and they don't leave thinking I'm a fucked up person who watches crazy shit.

Stuff like Higurashi & Elfen Lied is better left to those who are use to the massive amount of freak factors found in anime, not a beginner.
MagnumMiraclesAug 8, 2012 7:21 AM
Aug 8, 2012 7:24 AM

Aug 2012
Friends mostly think it's for perverts, instead of for childer.. The mighty 'H' word always comes into the conversation.
MagnumBookworm said:
That way they know it's not for kids, and they don't leave thinking I'm a fucked up person who watches crazy shit.

Stuff like Higurashi & Elfen Lied is better left to those who are use to the massive amount of freak factors found in anime, not a beginner.
This was where I was going at.
Aug 8, 2012 7:48 AM

Nov 2011
rsslayersr said:
Friends mostly think it's for perverts, instead of for childer.. The mighty 'H' word always comes into the conversation.
MagnumBookworm said:
That way they know it's not for kids, and they don't leave thinking I'm a fucked up person who watches crazy shit.

This was where I was going at.

I think that I was able to get a few of my friends into anime with Chaos;Head and Welcome to the NHK. (NHK... funny, that anime is rather f'd up from the very beginning. Very good, nonetheless.)
Aug 8, 2012 7:52 AM

Jul 2012
If you talk to them about anime, they say it's for kids.
If you show them horror anime, they say it's for the mentally fucked.

It's a lose/lose situation. Just sit back and be grateful that you don't have the ignorance they do.
Aug 8, 2012 8:07 AM

Apr 2009
^Which is why you should show an incredibly bloody action anime(Hellsing & Black Lagoon, for example) so then nobody will think that.

MagnumMiraclesAug 8, 2012 8:10 AM
Aug 8, 2012 8:26 AM

Jul 2012
MagnumBookworm said:
^Which is why you should show an incredibly bloody action anime(Hellsing & Black Lagoon, for example) so then nobody will think that.

You have got the right idea.
Aug 8, 2012 8:34 AM

Nov 2008
Do remember that "inappropriate for kids" still doesn't equal "mature", though. And if you're gonna tell them they're "missing out", you better not be the zealot type that neglects all western media in return.
Aug 8, 2012 8:56 AM

Aug 2009
dark3rthan8lack said:
Is anyone else bothered by people who don't know the difference between anime and
cartoons?

1.Anime are cartoons.Anime is merely a label we stick on Japanese cartoons to differentiate cartoons made in Japan and cartoons made outside of Japan.Although MAL for some reason wishes to include Chinese and Korean cartoons into that definition of anime.Chinese and Korean cartoons are no more anime than Boondocks and Avatar.

2.Cartoons outside of Japan are not just for children either.

I showed anime to a couple of people and they where like " Dude isn't that for kids ? "
Witch is their loss ...

If some actually thinks cartoons are just for little kids then send their child a couple episodes of Rats on Cocaine or Father Tucker.

Nope. Most people I know are fully aware that cartoons are not just for kids.

If you are acting like a weeaboo then they probably figure that you are acting immature and probably figure it is the cartoons you are watching that is the cause of that immaturity and thus are trying to discourage you from watching cartoons.

Here is a list of questions to see if you are weeaboo-

Do you falsely claim that anime are cartoons and can't accept the fact that anime are cartoons?
Do you falsely claim that mangas are not comic books and can't accept the fact that mangas are comic books?
Do you get upset because other people call anime cartoons or call manga comics?
Do you spend all day drawing cartoon characters?
Do you dress up as a cartoon character even though it is not Halloween?
Do you bastardize Japanese and English language by trying to mix Japanese honorifics in with English?
Do you have wall scrolls, posters,action figures/figurines and body pillows with cartoon characters on them?
Do you go to anime conventions dressed up as your favorite cartoon character to socialize with other die hard anime nerds?
Do you only watch subbed anime because even though Japanese sounds like gibberish to those who are not fluent in Japanese, you for some reason think you can gauge the acting ability of Japanese voice actors and tell how much emotion they put into their roles?
Do you read mangas, then watch the anime that is based on that manga and constantly whine how they are not the same?
Do you think the Japanese cartoon shows you watch are superior to everything else?
Do you get upset because other people may not like the cartoons you watch or just do not care for cartoons period?
Do you think you can learn Japanese just by watching Japanese cartoons?
ezikialrageAug 8, 2012 9:00 AM
Aug 8, 2012 9:05 AM

Jul 2012
I'm sorry but I just can't see anime as cartoons. That would be like comparing a Ferrari to a Ford
Aug 8, 2012 9:15 AM

Oct 2010
If anybody accuses my animu of being for children I yell at them, because it's wrong, wrong and wrong :'-(.
Aug 8, 2012 9:20 AM
Aug 2011
Would you call a "play" a movie?
They both feature real actors.

Would you call a magazine a encyclopedia?
Both has plenty of words in them.
Aug 8, 2012 9:24 AM

Nov 2011
Gouko_Tenrou said:
I'm sorry but I just can't see anime as cartoons. That would be like comparing a Ferrari to a Ford

Whether you see them as cartoons or not, doesn't change the fact they are cartoons.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Aug 8, 2012 9:24 AM

Aug 2012
ezikialrage said:
dark3rthan8lack said:
cartoons?

1.Anime are cartoons.Anime is merely a label we stick on Japanese cartoons to differentiate cartoons made in Japan and cartoons made outside of Japan.Although MAL for some reason wishes to include Chinese and Korean cartoons into that definition of anime.Chinese and Korean cartoons are no more anime than Boondocks and Avatar.

2.Cartoons outside of Japan are not just for children either.

Witch is their loss ...

If some actually thinks cartoons are just for little kids then send their child a couple episodes of Rats on Cocaine or Father Tucker.

Nope. Most people I know are fully aware that cartoons are not just for kids.

If you are acting like a weeaboo then they probably figure that you are acting immature and probably figure it is the cartoons you are watching that is the cause of that immaturity and thus are trying to discourage you from watching cartoons.

Here is a list of questions to see if you are weeaboo-

Do you falsely claim that anime are cartoons and can't accept the fact that anime are cartoons?
Do you falsely claim that mangas are not comic books and can't accept the fact that mangas are comic books?
Do you get upset because other people call anime cartoons or call manga comics?
Do you spend all day drawing cartoon characters?
Do you dress up as a cartoon character even though it is not Halloween?
Do you bastardize Japanese and English language by trying to mix Japanese honorifics in with English?
Do you have wall scrolls, posters,action figures/figurines and body pillows with cartoon characters on them?
Do you go to anime conventions dressed up as your favorite cartoon character to socialize with other die hard anime nerds?
Do you only watch subbed anime because even though Japanese sounds like gibberish to those who are not fluent in Japanese, you for some reason think you can gauge the acting ability of Japanese voice actors and tell how much emotion they put into their roles?
Do you read mangas, then watch the anime that is based on that manga and constantly whine how they are not the same?
Do you think the Japanese cartoon shows you watch are superior to everything else?
Do you get upset because other people may not like the cartoons you watch or just do not care for cartoons period?
Do you think you can learn Japanese just by watching Japanese cartoons?

i know i didn't choose the best words for it ( in my language we have a word for drawn tv series for children ) but i meant that people should stop viewing anime or cartoons if you want to talk in general as just for children , its like books perhaps you can have a really mature book or a book that teaches children to read but they
still are just made of the same thing , paper and ink.
see you space cowboy...

Aug 8, 2012 9:28 AM

Nov 2011
Gash_V-D_Hetchum said:

Encyclopedia
"a book or set of books containing articles on various topics, usually in alphabetical arrangement, covering all branches of knowledge or, less commonly, all aspects of one subject."

Aug 8, 2012 9:29 AM

Jun 2011
I don't care if somebody thinks anime is for kids.

and you should too.
FastnessofWheelsAug 8, 2012 9:38 AM
Aug 8, 2012 9:32 AM

Oct 2010
Gash_V-D_Hetchum said:

Cartoon
"a film made using animation techniques to produce the appearance of movement"
Aug 8, 2012 9:35 AM

Jul 2012
Show them AnO Hana/Clannad and they will leave your room crying haha.
Aug 8, 2012 9:37 AM

Mar 2012
Paarthaawi said:
Show them AnaHana, Clannad and they will leave your room crying haha.
Let them take the tears. I like it :D
Yes. Yes. My avatar is s sheep ._ .
Aug 8, 2012 9:37 AM

Jun 2012
rederoin said:
Gash_V-D_Hetchum said:

Encyclopedia
"a book or set of books containing articles on various topics, usually in alphabetical arrangement, covering all branches of knowledge or, less commonly, all aspects of one subject."

What you just said is of no relevance whatsoever, Cartoons and anime both tell a story by using the animated medium and are essentially the same thing same with manga and comics they both use the same thing to tell a story.

Comparing a magazine to an encyclopedia, i dont even....

And no i dont get annoyed by it i just disagree and state my reasons or say don't knock it till you've tried it although my friends generally wouldnt say that anyway because they know its not even though they dont watch it, i think anyway >.>
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Aug 8, 2012 9:55 AM

May 2009
FastWheels said:
I don't care if somebody thinks anime is for kids.

and you should too.

Reasonable post!

And even if it were entirely for kids, there would be nothing wrong with enjoying it regardless.
Aug 8, 2012 9:57 AM
Mar 2012
why do you care so much
Aug 8, 2012 10:05 AM

Nov 2011
jimbob1141 said:
rederoin said:
Gash_V-D_Hetchum said:

Encyclopedia

What you just said is of no relevance whatsoever, Cartoons and anime both tell a story by using the animated medium and are essentially the same thing same with manga and comics they both use the same thing to tell a story.

Comparing a magazine to an encyclopedia, i dont even....

And no i dont get annoyed by it i just disagree and state my reasons or say don't knock it till you've tried it although my friends generally wouldnt say that anyway because they know its not even though they dont watch it, i think anyway >.>

I was disagreeing with that post..

Aug 8, 2012 10:12 AM

Aug 2010
Revolutionary thinking OP.
Aug 8, 2012 10:28 AM

Feb 2010
Show them Black Lagoon, or Claymore.. I had a friend who always said that anime was for girls.. I showed him thoes anime and now he too watches it.
Aug 8, 2012 10:31 AM

Sep 2008
I like how only children get upset when some one says anime is for children.

and just because an anime has nudity or blood in it doesn't make it for adults either.
JigeroAug 8, 2012 10:34 AM
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Pages (13) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Which female anime character has the best drip?

Anjuro - Today

14 by KodomoKomodo »»
10 minutes ago

» Binging a series or watching over a period of time

Goblingaming - 2 hours ago

10 by Horizon248 »»
12 minutes ago

» Most underrated anime you have seen?

HotHamlet - May 13

42 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
15 minutes ago

» Is romance/slice of life the greatest anime genre?

Semester1 - 11 hours ago

36 by Animeistaken »»
19 minutes ago

» Best bald guy?

Serafos - May 19

25 by divlyfein »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.