Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 7, 2007 9:56 AM

May 2007
We should be able to leave comments on the character pages and also relate them to other charcters.

Mod Edit: Modified title for clarity and/or easier searching.
TenshoSep 10, 2019 9:58 AM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 7, 2007 10:06 AM

May 2007
Why would you want to relate them to other characters?
Jul 7, 2007 10:55 AM
Overlord

Nov 2004
The ability to comment on character pages was considered...but dropped due to the potential for people to spoil.
Jul 7, 2007 11:42 AM

May 2007
ScrumYummy said:
Why would you want to relate them to other characters?
Just for the fun of it... people might want to watch a show with similar characters.

Xinil said:
The ability to comment on character pages was considered...but dropped due to the potential for people to spoil.
I know what you mean... but people could put a spoiler warning or just comment on the looks but meh I guess it really doesn't matter.
Jul 7, 2007 11:49 AM
Overlord

Nov 2004
Tons of bitches in the world. I can't tell you how many times I've seen "general" discussion turn in to spoiler crap by jerks wanting to ruin stuff for people.

so yeah, there isn't an effective way to combat this. :(
Jul 7, 2007 11:56 AM

May 2007
Yeah I know I hate when people just spoil the series... I guess this is best for people to avoid spoilers.
Jan 12, 2008 4:01 PM

May 2007
Not sure if this was already mentioned or not, but like how you made possible discussion under each Voice actor profile page, have a similar kind of concept under each anime/manga character profile. Something small, and you may view it as not necessary, but it's convenient for people who simply want to express love/hate for a particular character.
Jan 12, 2008 10:14 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
thought about this, but decided to not implement it as it could lead to a large amount of spoilers.
Jan 13, 2008 6:39 AM

May 2007
Ah, makes sense. Sounds good. Thanks.
Feb 24, 2008 5:04 PM

May 2007
Hey, it would be nice if we could post a comment on a character's page just like the Seyuu's pages.

Thanks 4 the attention

Ryushi
Feb 24, 2008 6:44 PM

Jul 2007
Nice idea, but it's already been mentioned and shot down here.

oh, these little earthquakes
Feb 24, 2008 7:31 PM

May 2007
Oh thnaks!
Srry for making you waste your time. =P
Next time i will use search feature.

Sorry, and thanks again xD
Feb 24, 2008 7:33 PM

May 2007
Hey, there is the spoiler button, i guess that wouldn't be a problem

Sorry to be bothering about this, but i would really like to be implemented. (Sorry, im annoying, i know =P)

Thanks 4 your time and patience.
Jul 10, 2008 2:51 PM

Jan 2008
Should we have a comment area for the characters in a Anime or Manga? Like the way you would comment a voice actor/actress, you could comment the character.

Please comment on this.

I can't search if this idea has suggested or not. "The search feature is currently offline for maintenance. Sorry for the inconvenience."....is what I see when I click on search. Sorry~
Hello!
Jul 10, 2008 3:05 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
It has been requested and denied before due to possible abuse and highly probably spoiling. Sorry, not gonna happen.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 10, 2008 3:20 PM

Jan 2008
I see. Oh well.
Hello!
Feb 4, 2009 10:34 PM

Jun 2008
I nothiced that we can comment on other people's profiles, clubs, club pictures, people, blogs...etc. But we can't comment on characters. If there was a technical problem with that, it's okay but a character profile can't be different from a user profile can it?

Anyway, by that, we can also talk to other people who like that character. Eg. You love Fuji Syusuke but it dosen't fit on your fave list as you moved on from Prince of Tennis. You can always post a comment saying I love fuji Syusuke, have anyone seen the episode when...

That way, you don't have to go through all the users' profile to say do you like Fuji.

What do you think?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Feb 5, 2009 12:03 AM

Jun 2008
I see your point. We're able to comment on People but not on Characters even though it's pretty much the same thing: Describing a character whether it's a physical real one or virtual fictional one. Commenting on characters could probably be nice but I'm gonna be honest and say that I have up till now not missed this feature.
As for finding other users that like a certain character I see two available options:

1. Search for that character under Clubs as pretty much every character with a little popularity has their own fan club here on MAL.
  2. Check out the favorite section of that certain character. Here you will see a list of all users having that character added as a favorite.

I'll vote maybe.
... Even if I took time to write alot of intelligent words of deep thought and meaning in my signature, would you really care to read and comment on it? ...
Feb 5, 2009 12:08 AM

Jun 2008
CaMaVan said:
I see your point. We're able to comment on People but not on Characters even though it's pretty much the same thing: Describing a character whether it's a physical real one or virtual fictional one. Commenting on characters could probably be nice but I'm gonna be honest and say that I have up till now not missed this feature.
As for finding other users that like a certain character I see two available options:

1. Search for that character under Clubs as pretty much every character with a little popularity has their own fan club here on MAL.
  2. Check out the favorite section of that certain character. Here you will see a list of all users having that character added as a favorite.

I'll vote maybe.

but the problem is there are many less popular characters with no fanclub and you must be in the club to post a comment. And sometimes the less popular ones dosen'y make it on the fave list.

Anyway, the comments aren't just for fanboy/girling, eg. I might post I HATE HIM!!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Feb 5, 2009 1:56 AM

Jun 2008
ALL_HAIL_LELOUCH said:
, eg. I might post I HATE HIM!!!

Why would you do that? Isn't that a reason in itself for why this shouldn't be implemented? :)
I mean, what's the point in spreading a negative atmosphere in a social community?
Not that I'm against the suggestion. ^^
CaMaVanFeb 5, 2009 2:17 AM
... Even if I took time to write alot of intelligent words of deep thought and meaning in my signature, would you really care to read and comment on it? ...
Feb 5, 2009 3:35 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Won't be implemented. It has been suggested and denied before, use the search function and you'll find the topic. The risk of spoilers etc. is too high. Use the clubs. (:

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Feb 5, 2009 5:08 AM

Mar 2008
i liked the idea ^_^
Feb 5, 2009 6:27 AM

Nov 2007
ALL_HAIL_LELOUCH said:

This is exactly why I'm completely against the idea. The last thing we need is for people to start flame wars.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Feb 5, 2009 7:41 AM

Nov 2008
ALL_HAIL_LELOUCH said:

but the problem is there are many less popular characters with no fanclub and you must be in the club to post a comment.

Then make a club, that's what most people do. And ya, you usually have to join a club to post, but you just join, post, and then leave and your comment stays unless someone deletes it.
Feb 5, 2009 2:34 PM

Nov 2006
Amaya-no-Hime said:
ALL_HAIL_LELOUCH said:

This is exactly why I'm completely against the idea. The last thing we need is for people to start flame wars.
same here~
seems pretty pointless when there are already fanclubs dedicated to many characters.
Feb 5, 2009 4:46 PM

May 2008
This is actually I pretty good idea :3

Music is from the soul~ ♥
Feb 5, 2009 5:20 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Are you still going on about this...

Xinil said:
Xinil said:
Tons of bitches in the world. I can't tell you how many times I've seen "general" discussion turn in to spoiler crap by jerks wanting to ruin stuff for people.

so yeah, there isn't an effective way to combat this. :(

Case closed, sorry. If you can't find these posts, then blame yourself for not using the search function. The topics have the same title even...

Someone lock this please.
cyruzFeb 5, 2009 5:23 PM

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Feb 5, 2009 10:17 PM

Aug 2007
Plus, if you do not wish to use a club, you can just make a thread for the character in it's anime sub-forum.
Jun 16, 2009 4:04 PM

Apr 2009
Sorry if there's already a thread like this.. So People pages have their own comment box right? Then why can't characters have them too?

On the other hand, I kind of see the downside as being people fangirling or spamming. Still...
MAL Book Club join if you like reading

Jun 17, 2009 12:17 AM

Jun 2008
It may seem like a good idea, but due to the fangirls out there, the idea had been disabled. I asked the question as well, a while back.
Apr 29, 2010 10:21 AM

Apr 2010
Like it is available for people I think comments should be allowed on a characters page.
If this is not do-able It'll be fine but it could prove a fun and useful feature..
Apr 29, 2010 10:30 AM

Jul 2007
Not really. Imagine all the trolls and haters this could cause. At least most users on MAL don't care/known about people. Now imagine naruto's page. Filled with comments about how much he sucks etc. Don't think it gonna happen :)
Apr 29, 2010 10:57 AM

Apr 2010
D: I guess you're right..
Apr 29, 2010 11:09 AM

Feb 2009
Also imagine the huge amount of Fangirl and Fanboy posts like: "KYAAAAAAA HE IS SO CUUUUTE I LOVE HIM SO MUCH!!!!111111" that wouldn't be really nice to see something like that on your favourite characters profile. XD
Apr 29, 2010 11:17 AM

Nov 2009
How about adding a new tab-page for comments? That way, you could keep trolls and haters off the main page but still have a comments section.

Crunchyroll used to be like that (don't know if it still does).
Earth gets angry after a kick in the face.
Apr 29, 2010 11:30 AM

Apr 2010
teanut said:
How about adding a new tab-page for comments? That way, you could keep trolls and haters off the main page but still have a comments section.

Good idea. That could work.
Apr 29, 2010 2:35 PM

Apr 2010
I think adding comments to your favorites list might be more feasible and useful. In line with the flaming that would go on provided it was on a characters page, users can instead comment on their favorite characters, anime, and manga for other users to view on their profile.

This can be a good way to see justifications and rationale for the reason the user had picked that favorite item in question.
Apr 29, 2010 3:29 PM

Nov 2007
divito said:
I think adding comments to your favorites list might be more feasible and useful. In line with the flaming that would go on provided it was on a characters page, users can instead comment on their favorite characters, anime, and manga for other users to view on their profile.

This can be a good way to see justifications and rationale for the reason the user had picked that favorite item in question.
Those types of things are generally left to the About Me section or your blog.

As for this suggestion in general, yes, it has been denied multiple times in the past for reasons Cloud cited.

And this:
teanut said:

I don't think the problem is whether or not the flaming/idiotic comments are immediately accessible. Putting them one click away won't change the fact that the comments might have to be moderated.
Apr 29, 2010 3:38 PM

Apr 2010
Xjellocross said:
Those types of things are generally left to the About Me section or your blog.

O_o

I think that's a little more fragmented, but whatever floats your boat I guess. :)
Apr 29, 2010 5:56 PM

Mar 2009
Well, it'd be interesting to see what other people have to say but of course there'd be those damn fucking fan girls (or fan boys).
May 1, 2010 3:32 AM
May 2009
Character commenting... Such topics always in character/anime/manga etc fan clubs. And I think they should stay there )))
May 1, 2010 3:36 AM

Apr 2009
Cloudy-Sky said:
Not really. Imagine all the trolls and haters this could cause. At least most users on MAL don't care/known about people. Now imagine naruto's page. Filled with comments about how much he sucks etc. Don't think it gonna happen :)

in THAT case we need some 'censore' button... if more than 5 people censores teh comment, it will automatic be deleted or spammed..

like in youtube..
May 1, 2010 9:19 PM

May 2008
Cloudy-Sky said:

Well there can be Troll and haters for the people section as well...

but ye most users on mal check characters.
and so characters like naruto in which are are lots of haters of him, will surely spam his page area XD

If you want to comment on characters that you like join the fan club?
Jan 16, 2011 12:23 PM

Mar 2010
please put a comment place 4 everyCharaceters , like u put 4 every Seiyuu [ Voice Actor ] . we want to comment on the character sometime not the voice actor . tanom ლ(╹◡╹ლ)
Jan 17, 2011 3:53 AM

Nov 2008
With so many other things in the debate for removal (clubs and/or messages), for being too taxing on the server, it's more unlikely for features to be added, than to be deleted at this time.
Jan 17, 2011 4:19 AM

Jun 2008
This has already been shot down and it's not going to happen because of the major amount of "trolling" that would probably ensue on certain characters

such as naruto and all of that junk.

I'm sure we're all aware of how anime fans feel about their favourite characters.. So it would be nothing more than an unnecessary 'blood bath' in the comment sections most likely
kinoholicJan 17, 2011 4:25 AM
Apr 1, 2012 1:28 PM

Aug 2009
I see that you've put a comment box for voice actors and manga creators, so why haven't you put one for the characters?
Apr 1, 2012 1:52 PM

May 2011
Sounds like those would be filled with spoilers in no time.
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Apr 1, 2012 3:44 PM

Mar 2009
Fans are gonna get bashed by haters and vice versa.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Prevent obscure Donghua from polluting the top rankings

Zarutaku - Yesterday

8 by Detalius »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

Shark93 - Nov 12, 2022

28 by Potimas »»
1 hour ago

» The "related entries" redesign is atrocious

FurMetarArkemist - 5 hours ago

2 by velvetnyan »»
4 hours ago

» Who thought this was a good idea?

Shenhe - May 26

7 by Zarutaku »»
Today, 6:51 AM

» please increase the tag character limit 🙏

wormwormy - Today

0 by wormwormy »»
Today, 6:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.