Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 14, 2010 3:49 AM

Jun 2008
Yes am shouting because am starting to get sick of it and i think that whoever is responsible for this site is less capable than the 5 year old kid of my neighbor.
My messages are disabled, i get MySQL errors every 2 or 3 clicks and the profile search faction that shows any new post in threads you posted isn't operating for months now. Not to mention the delays in updates and posts.
WTF!!! MAL!!!!!!

Now if this was a fresh problem that just happened in this few days then what the hell maybe they are fixing it. But similar problems appear every little time. There is a bad coding somewhere and the people here just seem to patch the problem and wait until the site crashes again before they patch it again but they NEVER fix the problem at it's core once and for all.
If you don't have a capable programmer that can find what is fundamentally wrong with your code for almost two years now then hire one goddammit!

How many times will people see 65536 messages? How many times will there updates be late? How many times will the search option suck? How many times will a post need 1 hour to appear for you geniuses to understand that they are the same problems again and again and they were never really fixed and that's why they keep appearing?

Lately i saw some changes. Well before you make any new cosmetic changes or put new features, HOW ABOUT FIXING THE PROBLEMS you already have for so much time now!?

As usually an admin will probably not answer at this threat but hey i still made it just to see if anyone of them will actually care to answer honestly.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 14, 2010 4:00 AM

Apr 2010
Bleh. I keep getting MySQL errors too..
The updates go on and off, sometimes they don't even save.

I hope they fix it soon.
Jul 14, 2010 4:02 AM

Feb 2008
Totally agreed.

It seems that MAL's policy is more oriented towards Facebook design, then actual Lists and Anime comunity.
Jul 14, 2010 4:05 AM

Feb 2008
Amen.
Jul 14, 2010 4:22 AM

Nov 2009
Getting the errors too, fucking pissing me off.
Jul 14, 2010 6:11 AM

Mar 2009
Haven't been able to view messages for days.
Jul 14, 2010 2:17 PM

Mar 2010
I made my previous MAL account years ago and it's true - this isn't the first time I'm getting annoying errors /:
seriously dudes, fix them! 'coz MAL is an awesome place for listing anime and manga and I don't wanna move to shitty AniDB D:
Jul 14, 2010 2:19 PM

Jan 2010
LolitaDecay said:
Amen.
Jul 14, 2010 2:46 PM

Feb 2009
I feel you. I'm a member for about a year (or a little longer) now, and I haven't seen this site not-glitchy. It's really getting on my nerves, because the list is a huge support for me to remember everything I saw, and I get really confused if updates aren't showing, or are lagged.

Someone should fix this problem, really. You can't run a site like this.
Jul 14, 2010 2:48 PM

May 2008
My list doesn't update properly and I can barely post normal in the forum~ I'm really irritated now~
Jul 14, 2010 3:38 PM
Jul 2018
MAL is time traveling again
Jul 14, 2010 3:51 PM
Oct 2007
My list also can not update,its getting buggier than ever :(
Jul 14, 2010 3:52 PM
Sep 2009
XxAlicexX said:
Bleh. I keep getting MySQL errors too..
The updates go on and off, sometimes they don't even save.

I hope they fix it soon.

same here, sometimes it pisses me off so much that i bit my own lips and bleed to death, oh wait..
Jul 14, 2010 3:54 PM

Oct 2008
Im never online apparently when I look at my profile, I cant see recent posts in the forums (its about an hour behind), cant view my messages, cant update my list, cant put up blogs.

Just sort it out.
Jul 14, 2010 7:08 PM

Jun 2008
TheFramedAngel said:

Im never online apparently when I look at my profile, I cant see recent posts in the forums (its about an hour behind), cant view my messages, cant update my list, cant put up blogs.

Agreed, except the list updated. I'm suprised that it works for me, 'cause MAL loves to give me tons of MySQL errors when I try to update my list. xD
DrHavocMDJul 14, 2010 7:16 PM

Jul 14, 2010 7:43 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
Like my announcement says, we're working on it. Sorry for all the trouble guys.
Jul 14, 2010 9:08 PM

Jun 2007
Xinil said:
Could you do us a favor and detail what you're doing?

Keeping a constant update of what you're working on and what you're planning to address might help alleviate a great deal of frustration.

"if the show is good i couldn't care less if hitler directed it and the production values was a banana." - Salsk
Jul 14, 2010 11:24 PM

Apr 2008
You're getting this service for free. Stop bitching.
Jul 14, 2010 11:38 PM

Jan 2009
_Vincent_ said:

Agreed.
Jul 15, 2010 3:51 AM

Jun 2007
_Vincent_ said:
You're implying it's a charitable service and not a tool to make money off of the users by selling advertising.

Such an implication would make you wrong.

"if the show is good i couldn't care less if hitler directed it and the production values was a banana." - Salsk
Jul 15, 2010 3:54 AM

Jul 2008
The MySQL errors are annoying, but don't have any other problems. Think MAL is doing a pretty good job if they fix that :)
PSP-NGP.net Latest News & Updates!

Jul 15, 2010 4:21 AM

Apr 2010
I have 50 messages and I haven't been able to read them for a week!
I keep getting that stupid "disabled for the time being" message all the time!

I hope they fix it soon....
Jul 15, 2010 4:37 AM
Nov 2008
K_N said:
Xinil said:

Keeping a constant update of what you're working on and what you're planning to address might help alleviate a great deal of frustration.

I'm with K_N.

A simple "I'm working on it" could mean many things. It could also mean nothing at all, taking a certain track record into account. Are you just doing enough to get the site back up and running, as it is now, or are you going to go deeper than that?
Jul 15, 2010 5:01 AM

Jun 2009
K_N said:
_Vincent_ said:
You're implying it's a charitable service and not a tool to make money off of the users by selling advertising.

Are you in any way paying for anything this site is offering?
No?

Then it's a free service.
And it's not like selling advertising to make money off users is their main goal, it's just to help covering the cost of running the site most likely, you're just sounding like an ungrateful and arrogant fool.

Funnily enough I've only ever had one MySQL error in the past few months, I suppose I'm a lucky one, oh well.
Jul 15, 2010 6:01 AM

Jun 2008
Onibokusu said:
K_N said:
Xinil said:

I'm with K_N.

A simple "I'm working on it" could mean many things. It could also mean nothing at all, taking a certain track record into account. Are you just doing enough to get the site back up and running, as it is now, or are you going to go deeper than that?

Yeah that my point in the initial post. Saying you are working on it is fine and all but what we really want to know is if you are gonna go deep enough to fix this problems at the core and not just patch things until it all crashes again like it happens for some time now.

EmP1ty said:
K_N said:
_Vincent_ said:

No?

And it's not like selling advertising to make money off users is their main goal, it's just to help covering the cost of running the site most likely, you're just sounding like an ungrateful and arrogant fool.

The fool is you and others like you. Free my ass! When someone does a job he ether does it right or not. Free or not free doesn't matter. What a victim mentality you have. Is because of people like you in the world that politicians and governments piss on our heads. People happy just chewing there bone in the corner like dogs.

And besides what does it mean is free? Is not like they are giving me food to eat. It's just a site to kill some time and keep your list. I can go by in my life with out it. Sure it's useful but i don't really need it that much. This site needs people more than people need the site. It doesn't have a choice than being free.
The users make it what it is. They put many updates of anime,manga and characters. They make reviews, they create discussion and give scores about episodes.
I can still live without Mal. Just make a list in another place or just use Excel and i can talk about anime in many other forums if i want. MAL needs the users and the popularity for advertising a lot more.
But in the end none of all this matters. Is a matter of doing a good job. If you are gonna do it then fucking do it.
Jul 15, 2010 6:02 AM
Manga Moderator
Sleepy

Jul 2009
EmP1ty said:
Funnily enough I've only ever had one MySQL error in the past few months

Now that has to be the worst lie I've seen in a while and if you frequent this site weekly surely you would get more then ONE! SQL error. In the last couple of days this site was loaded with them. Even now I'm getting errors at this very moment.
KuroDubZeroJul 15, 2010 6:10 AM
Jul 15, 2010 6:36 AM
May 2007
Wow, you sure aren't overreacting.
Jul 15, 2010 9:40 AM

Jun 2008
Saya said:

The element of overreaction is deliberate in the hope to maybe make some people move there ass since just posting simple polite questions hasn't worked for more than a year now that MAL seems to be in some MySQL circle of doom.
Jul 15, 2010 9:47 AM

Nov 2007
Monad said:
Saya said:

The element of overreaction is deliberate in the hope to maybe make some people move there ass since just posting simple polite questions hasn't worked for more than a year now that MAL seems to be in some MySQL circle of doom.
Protip: Read towards the bottom. Surely this tells you something about the problem? Specifically the line that says Posting about them will not help fix them. Or in my own words, Bitching rarely helps get work done. I understand everyone's frustration; I'm frustrated with the problems as well. But in the end, being patient and waiting is all you can do. If you're that fed up, fine. Quietly pack up and head for AniDB.
Jul 15, 2010 11:12 AM
Apr 2009
Xjellocross said:
Bitching rarely helps get work done. I understand everyone's frustration; I'm frustrated with the problems as well. But in the end, being patient and waiting is all you can do. If you're that fed up, fine. Quietly pack up and head for AniDB.

Well said.
Jul 15, 2010 11:38 AM

Mar 2010
EmP1ty said:

I clearly don't want to debate about MAL specific case, but I'm always surprised how much people can be so credulous when they speak about web sites.
MAL was sold to a business company to make business/profit and it's quite normal.
http://7zoom.com/www.myanimelist.net

I can also find exactly the same credulous comments about fansub websites considered as "saints" whereas they are often earning a lot of money. If a lot of fansub teams work on the same popular anime but try to be the first one to launch the weekly translated ep it's not cause they love their fans, it's just to grow their website's visitors to maximize their profit.

Jul 15, 2010 12:02 PM

Feb 2009
Monad said:

The fool is you and others like you. Free my ass! When someone does a job he ether does it right or not. Free or not free doesn't matter. What a victim mentality you have. Is because of people like you in the world that politicians and governments piss on our heads. People happy just chewing there bone in the corner like dogs.

And besides what does it mean is free? Is not like they are giving me food to eat. It's just a site to kill some time and keep your list. I can go by in my life with out it. Sure it's useful but i don't really need it that much. This site needs people more than people need the site. It doesn't have a choice than being free.
The users make it what it is. They put many updates of anime,manga and characters. They make reviews, they create discussion and give scores about episodes.
I can still live without Mal. Just make a list in another place or just use Excel and i can talk about anime in many other forums if i want. MAL needs the users and the popularity for advertising a lot more.
But in the end none of all this matters. Is a matter of doing a good job. If you are gonna do it then fucking do it.

So if it's so damn simple as that, why not start up your own site? Dang, people like you tick me off.

More often then not, these sorts of sites are made so that members of a certain hobby can discuss things online and in the case of this site, make it more convenient for people so they can kep track of the series they have watched and find more for them to enjoy. It's something that is probably for recreation, so what the heck makes you think that complaining about something people are doing for fun is going to get things done?

They probably make pretty little off this site (I mean, really, ads must be the main source of income here and there are already few of those) and they still have to pay for the webspace and domain name.

They have already accomplished a fairly nice site (And obviously, at some point, you believed so too or else you would not be one it) and it seems, with all the updates, they're trying to make it nicer. At least they're putting in an effort.

If you can give it up and you're going to be doing nothing but bitch and complain on here, then give it up. Don't let that door hit you in the ass on the way out.
Jul 15, 2010 12:09 PM

Apr 2010
I thought I'm the only one had it... so it's a general error. good to know (not really).
well, I hope it will get fixed soon...
Jul 15, 2010 12:21 PM

Apr 2009
_Vincent_ said:
You know what other services I get for free? E-mail, functioning forums, video streaming, humorous articles, police and fire protection, public restrooms, access to most of the world's largest repositories of information, and so on and so forth. They all work fine, why can't the same from this?
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.
Jul 15, 2010 12:27 PM

Feb 2009
CDRW said:
_Vincent_ said:
You know what other services I get for free? E-mail, functioning forums, video streaming, humorous articles, police and fire protection, public restrooms, access to most of the world's largest repositories of information, and so on and so forth. They all work fine, why can't the same from this?

So go to those instead of here. Nothing is stopping you.
Jul 15, 2010 2:02 PM

Jun 2007
EmP1ty said:
K_N said:
_Vincent_ said:

No?

Funnily enough I've only ever had one MySQL error in the past few months, I suppose I'm a lucky one, oh well.
It's owned by a corporation now. Making money is the main goal. It is not a free service, it's more like a symbiotic relationship. Without the users, the site would go under, without the site, the users could not avail of it's services.

However, when the site is incredibly broken, ie: Having to refresh the boards 6 times to see a single post, not being able to receive messages, cache servers not being updated in 10 hours, it breaks the give-take of the site and it's users, meaning we are now providing MAL's corporate overlords with it's beloved advertising revenue, but not receiving much in return. That is something to complain about, and is what we are doing.

You are a lucky one. I haven't been posting much because it literally was taking me 10 minutes to make a thread and see that it's been posted.

---

Xjellocross said:
Monad said:
Saya said:

Protip: Read towards the bottom. Surely this tells you something about the problem? Specifically the line that says Posting about them will not help fix them. Or in my own words, Bitching rarely helps get work done. I understand everyone's frustration; I'm frustrated with the problems as well. But in the end, being patient and waiting is all you can do. If you're that fed up, fine. Quietly pack up and head for AniDB.
Wrong.

Ever heard the saying, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease?" it's true.

---

CDRW said:
_Vincent_ said:
You know what other services I get for free? Police and fire protection, public restrooms.
Actually, you're paying for those. Taxes, bro.
K_NJul 15, 2010 2:05 PM

Jul 15, 2010 3:20 PM

Jun 2009
KuroDubZero said:
EmP1ty said:
Funnily enough I've only ever had one MySQL error in the past few months

Now that has to be the worst lie I've seen in a while and if you frequent this site weekly surely you would get more then ONE! SQL error. In the last couple of days this site was loaded with them. Even now I'm getting errors at this very moment.

Nope, only one. Why would I lie when it will serve me no purpose? Just because you are an unfortunate one does not mean I am, so take your terrible attitude and back off.
And for the record no, I don't frequent this site much, probably a handful of times a week just to update my list and make a brief skim of the forums, by the sounds of it if I was glued to this thing night and day I'd probably see it more often, but I'm not.

Monad said:

My my, someone is more than a little ticked off.

You say you could live without MAL? Well, you seem to think they're doing a terrible job, then why don't you go find somewhere else, take your own advice and use another place, or excel.

What do I mean it's free? Well that is pretty self explanitory. There is no fee to use this site, you do not need to donate, subscribe, pay a one off payment, therefore free, therefore they are giving it to you for nothing.

MAL is doing a good job in my opinion, but with a site this large it would be ludicrous to expect perfection from it, you expect too much and for some reason it seems you feel they 'owe' you a flawless and amazing service, they don't owe you anything apart from a small thanks for choosing to use their site, if you think otherwise then my god you need to get your head out of your ass.

kwizatz said:
EmP1ty said:

I clearly don't want to debate about MAL specific case, but I'm always surprised how much people can be so credulous when they speak about web sites.
MAL was sold to a business company to make business/profit and it's quite normal.
http://7zoom.com/www.myanimelist.net

Please give me some real evidence that they sold their site to a business company, that link proves nothing, it is a simple site to judge the approximate 'net worth' of the site, as well as information such as traffic, server locations and such, there is no indication that it was sold, and in fact if you check the about page on this very website, it says, and I quote -
"Created and actively maintained by Garrett Gyssler, MyAnimeList is a community run entirely by its moderators and users from all over the world. "

Please get your facts straight.

Sorry for the long post, but I figured I would reply in one big burst.
Jul 15, 2010 3:32 PM

Jan 2008
EmP1ty said:
Please give me some real evidence that they sold their site to a business company, that link proves nothing, it is a simple site to judge the approximate 'net worth' of the site, as well as information such as traffic, server locations and such, there is no indication that it was sold, and in fact if you check the about page on this very website, it says, and I quote -
"Created and actively maintained by Garrett Gyssler, MyAnimeList is a community run entirely by its moderators and users from all over the world. "

Please get your facts straight.

You haven't been here long enough it seems. Garrett sold MAL to CraveOnline, it was a big deal. I guess the site did get worse after that, even though most of us were happy for him at the time.

Xjellocross said:
Or in my own words, Bitching rarely helps get work done.

Actually, it does.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jul 15, 2010 3:35 PM

Jun 2009
Beatnik said:

You haven't been here long enough it seems. Garrett sold MAL to CraveOnline, it was a big deal. I guess the site did get worse after that, even though most of us were happy for him at the time.

Xjellocross said:
Or in my own words, Bitching rarely helps get work done.

Actually, it does.

Oh, well as he only posted a useless link that gave no evidence whatsoever I was skeptical of the credibility, but looking more into it I see you are indeed correct, oh well, my point still stands in that it is a free service and this level of hostility is unwarranted.

*Shrug*
Jul 15, 2010 3:44 PM

Mar 2010
EmP1ty said:

Oh, well as he only posted a useless link that gave no evidence whatsoever I was skeptical of the credibility, but looking more into it I see you are indeed correct, oh well, my point still stands in that it is a free service and this level of hostility is unwarranted.

*Shrug*

lol, the link shows how much great is the profit value of this site, whereas you credulously wrote

EmP1ty said:
it's not like selling advertising to make money off users is their main goal

Learn 2 read :o

Jul 15, 2010 3:53 PM

Apr 2009
K_N said:

CDRW said:
_Vincent_ said:
You know what other services I get for free? Police and fire protection, public restrooms.
Actually, you're paying for those. Taxes, bro.
Indirect paymet that is automatically deducted from my paycheck. I am also indirectly paying for MAL, a couple more steps are involved, but my payments for MAL are as concious and intentional as my payments for those.
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.
Jul 15, 2010 3:55 PM

Jun 2009
kwizatz said:
EmP1ty said:

*Shrug*

lol, the link shows how much great is the profit value of this site, whereas you credulously wrote

EmP1ty said:
it's not like selling advertising to make money off users is their main goal

Learn 2 read :o

I find irony in someone saying "learn to read" without using proper spelling, haha.

But still, what do you mean by that, the advertising is obviously NOT their main goal, or there would be far more advertisements, the main goal is exactly what it says on the tin, a place for people to catalogue the anime and manga, and of course, forums, info etcetera.

Aaaanways, I made my point long ago and this is getting nowhere so I'll leave it at that.
Jul 15, 2010 4:03 PM
Mar 2009
Don't know about any claims of 'else there would be far more advertisements', but if I turn off adblocking, or have the misfortune to be accessing the site from a place with a browser that doesn't have adblocking, the flashing banners become a pain. That's how much 'free' this site is.

There are models to finance a website in a way that is open, fair to everyone, speedy (and mostly bugless), and above all completely devoid of advertisement -- that form is wikipedia and no one can disregard its success.

I'm sure this website has enough loyal followers to make such a model sustainable (though not profitable), but I'm also sure this is hardly on the mind of its owners.
Jul 15, 2010 4:52 PM

Jan 2008
Back on topic, what HAS been fixed?

Forums and being able to access parts of the site seem fine, although updating things still doesn't seem to be happening.

Editing things also seems to be down.
Jul 15, 2010 5:24 PM
Nov 2008
BluMeino said:
Back on topic, what HAS been fixed?

We don't rightly know, because "bitching about things doesn't help" apparently, despite the fact that this topic sure has got some attention.
Jul 16, 2010 11:17 AM

Mar 2009
SnG said:

It seems that MAL's policy is more oriented towards Facebook design, then actual Lists and Anime comunity.

Oddly enough, someone thought I was surfing Facebook when I was on the MAL page.
Jul 16, 2010 3:04 PM

May 2009
the site keeps logging me out very 5 minutes
every time I try to post I'm logged out
every time I go to the club I'm logged out
sometimes when I reply a comment in my profile I'm logged out
even now I've logged out 3 times before I could post this!
won't you get nervous if something like this happened to you?
If something like this would happen to a mod they'll fix it as soon as they can
if something like this happen to a normal member we should wait and wait and wait
it's 3 month I keep having this lag(and my cookies are on so don't tell me it's a cookies problem)
will you do something about it? Obviously NO
I love this site but all this lag are making me hate it
My MAL Family^^

Jul 16, 2010 3:10 PM

Jan 2008
Nothing on this website works properly. NOTHING. FOR A YEAR.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jul 16, 2010 3:14 PM

Jun 2010
Beatnik said:
Its a feature.

^.^
Jul 16, 2010 3:20 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
Beatnik said:

You're doing it wrong!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3443 by blueb3rry »»
10 minutes ago

» MAL section showing section for related section for anime and manga not showing

catterbu - Yesterday

3 by baldursgay »»
8 hours ago

» Whole site became unresponsive

Nomori - May 21

5 by baldursgay »»
9 hours ago

» PLEASE bring back the functions to reply in forum games

tsukareru - May 17

17 by tsukareru »»
Yesterday, 2:35 AM

» How can I see the date I added an entry to my list? (if I didn't mark an episode as watched)

EterTC - Feb 14, 2023

11 by ShaggyZE »»
May 26, 7:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.