Jul 2022
hypocrisy if you ask me. talking about no western shows but here we are lol
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 18, 2023 12:18 AM
Sep 2021
not western, Japanese produced. L
Sep 2019
Yeah also Scott Pilgrim is from an established anime studio, with the director and everyone having established anime careers. I can't think of a reason why it shouldn't count.
Oct 2020
How is this a western show? It's made completely by Japanese while Scott pilgrim isn't, simple as that, just because Netflix calls it anime doesn't make it one on mal

Jul 2015
Janitor in the studio is an actual Japanese person, so it stays.

Nov 18, 2023 12:22 AM
Jul 2022
lFrogs said:
not western, Japanese produced. L

i know that it’s produced by a japanese company, I’m talking about how the shows targeted audience is western but it’s not on MAL but we have suicide squad isekai and cyber punk. I wouldn’t have said anything without that knowledge.
Nov 18, 2023 12:23 AM
Jul 2022
CrunchyCrobat said:
How is this a western show? It's made completely by Japanese while Scott pilgrim isn't, simple as that, just because Netflix calls it anime doesn't make it one on mal

you telling me suicide squad was made completely by japanese.. cmon my guy, me and you both know that’s a lie 💀
Nov 18, 2023 12:26 AM
Oct 2020
13oFIVE said:
CrunchyCrobat said:

you telling me suicide squad was made completely by japanese.. cmon my guy, me and you both know that’s a lie 💀

The hell you talking about this? This is an original suicide squad show made by Japanese, the show itself is made by one, source of the doesn't matter, there are dozens of these superhero shows on Mal, why this one specifically you don't like here? It's even more on the Japanese notion with the whole isekai thing than all those other ones
Nov 18, 2023 12:30 AM
Jul 2022
CrunchyCrobat said:
13oFIVE said:

The hell you talking about this? This is an original suicide squad show made by Japanese, the show itself is made by one, source of the doesn't matter, there are dozens of these superhero shows on Mal, why this one specifically you don't like here? It's even more on the Japanese notion with the whole isekai thing than all those other ones

I didn’t say I didn’t like LOL. bro suicide squad originally is NOT FROM JAPAN. the creator of suicide squad had to take part in it so it’s not only Japanese people.
Nov 18, 2023 12:34 AM
Oct 2020
13oFIVE said:
CrunchyCrobat said:

I didn’t say I didn’t like LOL. bro suicide squad originally is NOT FROM JAPAN. the creator of suicide squad had to take part in it so it’s not only Japanese people.

Oh yea sure, it's like saying the creator of the Spiderman has to take part in it just cause they are making a Spiderman anime, how you gonna do that when the creator is dead, the creator doesn't have to be there, you think the guy who created the suicide squad comics took part in making the movies? No, of course not, all these superhero stuff are their own contained stories, does not need the creator to be in here for it to be made, and any help that WB is gonna do is gonna be from it's Japanese branch, not it's American branch
Nov 18, 2023 12:37 AM
Jul 2022
CrunchyCrobat said:
13oFIVE said:

Oh yea sure, it's like saying the creator of the Spiderman has to take part in it just cause they are making a Spiderman anime, how you gonna do that when the creator is dead, the creator doesn't have to be there, you think the guy who created the suicide squad comics took part in making the movies? No, of course not, all these superhero stuff are their own contained stories, does not need the creator to be in here for it to be made, and any help that WB is gonna do is gonna be from it's Japanese branch, not it's American branch

lil bro, suicide squad had to be signed by people other than japanese people for anyone to have the rights so if anything they came first 💀💀💀 it doesn’t matter. Marvel has rights over spiderman. Marvel is an American company, although they wouldn’t created the anime, they would have to aprove it. that meaning, they’re involved with it weither you like that or not
Nov 18, 2023 12:40 AM
Oct 2020
Aproving something and being part of making it entirely are two different things my guy, it's made by Japanese liscenced by WB, this whole argument has not meaning, it's on Mal cause it's actually made by Japanese unlike Scott pilgrim, end of argument
Nov 18, 2023 12:43 AM
Jul 2022
CrunchyCrobat said:
Aproving something and being part of making it entirely are two different things my guy, it's made by Japanese liscenced by WB, this whole argument has not meaning, it's on Mal cause it's actually made by Japanese unlike Scott pilgrim, end of argument

suicide squad was not made by japanese, you might actually be sadly mentally troubled. APROVAL IS APART OF THE PROCESS OF THE SHOWS EXISTENCE LMFAO
Nov 18, 2023 12:46 AM
Oct 2020
13oFIVE said:
CrunchyCrobat said:

suicide squad was not made by japanese, you might actually be sadly mentally troubled. APROVAL IS APART OF THE PROCESS OF THE SHOWS EXISTENCE LMFAO

Ye, I don't think you are actually trying to understand anything here, you don't have the braincells to comprehend this, like it's such a simple thing yet you do not understand it one bit
Nov 18, 2023 12:49 AM
Jul 2022
CrunchyCrobat said:
13oFIVE said:

Ye, I don't think you are actually trying to understand anything here, you don't have the braincells to comprehend this, like it's such a simple thing yet you do not understand it one bit

bro, I think you have capd or something because the fact you can’t comprehend that approval is what even lets the show exist meaning they allowed something made with their franchise, their american franchised characters. you are actually dumb like it’s very concerning. they did not create the characters. they did not create the title. please use your head and actually stop being a npc
Nov 18, 2023 12:53 AM
Oct 2020
13oFIVE said:
CrunchyCrobat said:

bro, I think you have capd or something because the fact you can’t comprehend that approval is what even lets the show exist meaning they allowed something made with their franchise, their american franchised characters. you are actually dumb like it’s very concerning. they did not create the characters. they did not create the title. please use your head and actually stop being a npc

You stop being stupid and not understanding that it could have been WB who reached out to wit to make the anime and the everything they did after that could have been nothing to do with Americans, like you could just say supaidaman is not a Japanese show cause it was in association with an American company and the cgaracter is created by American
Nov 18, 2023 12:56 AM
Jul 2022
CrunchyCrobat said:
13oFIVE said:

You stop being stupid and not understanding that it could have been WB who reached out to wit to make the anime and the everything they did after that could have been nothing to do with Americans, like you could just say supaidaman is not a Japanese show cause it was in association with an American company and the cgaracter is created by American

bro it doesn’t matter who reached out 💀💀 the fact is that americans are the creators of what is being substituted into someone elses work. me being stupid? you can’t even spell superman kid
Nov 18, 2023 12:57 AM
Aug 2022
CrunchyCrobat said:

Scott pilgrim is made by an anime studio
Nov 18, 2023 12:57 AM
Oct 2020
13oFIVE said:
CrunchyCrobat said:

bro it doesn’t matter who reached out 💀💀 the fact is that americans are the creators of what is being substituted into someone elses work. me being stupid? you can’t even spell superman kid

Who was spelling superman? I spelled exactly what I wanted, supaidaman, which is what the Japanese Spiderman is know as
Nov 18, 2023 1:56 AM
Mar 2023
Because that Scott whatever the rest of the name is, is a story made by a Canadian, and even being made by a Japanese studio, it uses completely western style, I don't even count that as a anime. About suicide squad, sure, DC is a western thing, but the thing is, it's not the warner bros that is making it, it's the warner bros JAPAN, another division of the warner bros that works only in Japan, that with the addition that everyone involved in story, animation etc, is the reason of why this is allowed, scoot whatever the name is, isn't.
Nov 18, 2023 2:12 AM
Sep 2019
Gui_silva23 said:
Because that Scott whatever the rest of the name is, is a story made by a Canadian, and even being made by a Japanese studio, it uses completely western style, I don't even count that as a anime. About suicide squad, sure, DC is a western thing, but the thing is, it's not the warner bros that is making it, it's the warner bros JAPAN, another division of the warner bros that works only in Japan, that with the addition that everyone involved in story, animation etc, is the reason of why this is allowed, scoot whatever the name is, isn't.

They're both being made by an anime studio, but based on western source material. How is that any different?
Nov 18, 2023 2:15 AM
Mar 2023
mafiahairspy said:
Gui_silva23 said:

They're both being made by an anime studio, but based on western source material. How is that any different?

One is being made by a japanese studio taking material from a Canadian show and being influenced by the west, even in animation style.
One is being made by a Japanese studio, taking material from a original story of a Japanese division of warner bros, not being related to the west at all
How is that NOT different?
Nov 18, 2023 2:18 AM
Sep 2019
Gui_silva23 said:
mafiahairspy said:

One is being made by a japanese studio taking material from a Canadian show and being influenced by the west, even in animation style.
One is being made by a Japanese studio, taking material from a original story of a Japanese division of warner bros, not being related to the west at all

How is this not related to the west at all? Suicide Squad are characters from American comic books. Much like Scott Pilgrim is based on a series of Canadian comic books. And I don't see why the influences on the animation style are significant, plenty of anime is influenced by western animation (and vice versa).
Nov 18, 2023 2:21 AM
Mar 2023
mafiahairspy said:
Gui_silva23 said:

How is this not related to the west at all? Suicide Squad are characters from American comic books. Much like Scott Pilgrim is based on a series of Canadian comic books. And I don't see why the influences on the animation style are significant, plenty of anime is influenced by western animation (and vice versa).

Scoot whatever the name it's a adaptation of the Canadian comics
Suicide squad is a original story made by warner bros japan, even using western characters as a base, the story is still originally from Japan, pretty much like cyberpunk. That diferençe alone is already enough reason of why scoot isn't on mal
Nov 18, 2023 2:27 AM
Sep 2019
Gui_silva23 said:
mafiahairspy said:

Suicide squad is a original story made by warner bros japan, even using western characters as a base, the story is still originally from Japan, pretty much like cyberpunk. That diferençe alone is already enough reason of why scoot isn't on mal

Ok explain Cannon Busters, which is based on American comics, written and directed by an American, and released on Netflix, yet has a page on here. Presumably because it was made by an anime studio.
Nov 18, 2023 2:30 AM
Mar 2023
mafiahairspy said:
Gui_silva23 said:

Ok explain Cannon Busters, which is based on American comics, written and directed by an American, and released on Netflix, yet has a page on here. Presumably because it was made by an anime studio.

How can I explain that if I don't have any ideia of what that is 😭
Nov 18, 2023 2:47 AM
Mar 2021
Read this
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=141101
It's Mal anime database guidelines, Here you will find your answer to why Scott Prilgrim Takes Off is not on Mal
Nov 18, 2023 8:32 AM
Oct 2022
This isn’t a western show, it’s entirely made by Japanese studios. Scott Pilgrim is American, like Castlevania.

Quick question to anyone who knows: is the upcoming Terminator anime considered anime since it’s Production IG?
Nov 18, 2023 8:33 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to GoCrayzee
This isn’t a western show, it’s entirely made by Japanese studios. Scott Pilgrim is American, like Castlevania.

Quick question to anyone who knows: is the upcoming Terminator anime considered anime since it’s Production IG?
@GoCrayzee why are this in MAL then?
https://myanimelist.net/anime/55848/Suicide_Squad_Isekai
https://myanimelist.net/anime/36517/Ninja_Batman
Nov 18, 2023 8:33 AM
Oct 2022
13oFIVE said:
CrunchyCrobat said:

This is like saying Watanabe’s upcoming “Lazarus” isn’t anime because the director of John Wick is collaborating with him to make it. It’s still anime.
Nov 18, 2023 8:35 AM
Oct 2022

Because the studio, cast, and staff behind the projects are entirely Japanese. It’s not American, not even slightly.
Nov 18, 2023 9:23 AM
Feb 2022
I will die on the hill that Scott Pilgrim Takes Off, My Last Day and even Otachan should be added to the website. Anime means Japanese animation, which they all are.

If we wanna split hairs about the writing team, Heidi was made in Switzerland and aimed at a Swiss audience, yet it's on here despite explicitly going against MAL guidelines about marketing. Pecola was completely written in Canada and directed by a Canadian, but is on here. Stan Lee has literally written Ultimo and Heroman, both directed at Western audiences, but they are on here. Deltora Quest was written in Australia and aimed at Australian audiences, but is on here. Ronja the Robber's Daughter was written in Sweden and aimed at Swedish audiences but is on here.

Probably the dumbest one ever is Tekkonkinkreet. This was completely directed by an American but animated by Studio 4°C. You know what other show was directed by an American but animated by Studio 4°C. My Last Day, but guess what, mods will not allow it for some asinine reason.
Nov 18, 2023 9:33 AM
Feb 2022
Reply to Aryu1410
Read this
It's Mal anime database guidelines, Here you will find your answer to why Scott Prilgrim Takes Off is not on Mal
@Aryu1410 Read my previous comment. This is asinine as even mods do not abide by these rules. They just pick and choose.
Nov 18, 2023 9:41 AM
Nov 2023
Reply to wKEYSpacebar
I will die on the hill that Scott Pilgrim Takes Off, My Last Day and even Otachan should be added to the website. Anime means Japanese animation, which they all are.

If we wanna split hairs about the writing team, Heidi was made in Switzerland and aimed at a Swiss audience, yet it's on here despite explicitly going against MAL guidelines about marketing. Pecola was completely written in Canada and directed by a Canadian, but is on here. Stan Lee has literally written Ultimo and Heroman, both directed at Western audiences, but they are on here. Deltora Quest was written in Australia and aimed at Australian audiences, but is on here. Ronja the Robber's Daughter was written in Sweden and aimed at Swedish audiences but is on here.

Probably the dumbest one ever is Tekkonkinkreet. This was completely directed by an American but animated by Studio 4°C. You know what other show was directed by an American but animated by Studio 4°C. My Last Day, but guess what, mods will not allow it for some asinine reason.
@wKEYSpacebar

Except, Heidi was made by a Japanese stuıdio with a Japanese name (Arupusu no Shōjo Haiji) and also dubbed in JApanese and aired on Jaoanese TV. And you simply miss the fact an animation is still considered anime if it was largely produced by Japanese, regardless it's written or dirfected by non-Japanese. There are even anime that are co-produced with other countries but the production still largely belongs to Japan.
Nov 18, 2023 9:43 AM
Feb 2022
Reply to Wartyh
@wKEYSpacebar

Except, Heidi was made by a Japanese stuıdio with a Japanese name (Arupusu no Shōjo Haiji) and also dubbed in JApanese and aired on Jaoanese TV. And you simply miss the fact an animation is still considered anime if it was largely produced by Japanese, regardless it's written or dirfected by non-Japanese. There are even anime that are co-produced with other countries but the production still largely belongs to Japan.
@Wartyh Heidi was completely written in Switzerland. I do agree that it is an anime because it was animated in Japan, but you should give that same luxury to Scott Pilgrim, My Last Day and Otachan.

Also funny how you only tackle one of the 7 anime I brought up.
Nov 18, 2023 9:45 AM
Nov 2023
Reply to wKEYSpacebar
@Aryu1410 Read my previous comment. This is asinine as even mods do not abide by these rules. They just pick and choose.
@wKEYSpacebar

Too conceited to read the guidelines, I see, otherwise you would have seen your inept claims refuted and the reasosn for adding anime with foreign staff have already been explained by the guidelines .
Nov 18, 2023 9:46 AM
Feb 2022
Reply to Wartyh
@wKEYSpacebar

Too conceited to read the guidelines, I see, otherwise you would have seen your inept claims refuted and the reasosn for adding anime with foreign staff have already been explained by the guidelines .
@Wartyh Crazy because Pecola is still completely foreign. So are all of the other ones I mentioned. The mods go against their own guidelines.
Nov 18, 2023 9:48 AM
Nov 2023
Reply to wKEYSpacebar
@Wartyh Heidi was completely written in Switzerland. I do agree that it is an anime because it was animated in Japan, but you should give that same luxury to Scott Pilgrim, My Last Day and Otachan.

Also funny how you only tackle one of the 7 anime I brought up.
@wKEYSpacebar

You are wrong again, Heidi anime was written by Hisao Ōkawa, Mamoru Sasaki and Yoshiaki Yoshida.

It's funny how you are cherrypicking my comment and completely ignoring my explanation of your so-called anime examples. Since you have hard tine to understand what I wrote I will copy-paste it.

" And you simply miss the fact an animation is still considered anime if it was largely produced by Japanese, regardless it's written or directed by non-Japanese."
WartyhNov 18, 2023 9:51 AM
Nov 18, 2023 9:49 AM
Feb 2022
Reply to Wartyh
@wKEYSpacebar

You are wrong again, Heidi anime was written by Hisao Ōkawa, Mamoru Sasaki and Yoshiaki Yoshida.

It's funny how you are cherrypicking my comment and completely ignoring my explanation of your so-called anime examples. Since you have hard tine to understand what I wrote I will copy-paste it.

" And you simply miss the fact an animation is still considered anime if it was largely produced by Japanese, regardless it's written or directed by non-Japanese."
@Wartyh I agree with you. However that same luxury applies to the three other anime I mentioned. What backwards reasoning could possibly justify the fact that Tekkonkinkreet is allowed, but not My Last Day?
wKEYSpacebarNov 18, 2023 9:59 AM
Nov 18, 2023 9:55 AM
Feb 2022
Reply to Wartyh
@wKEYSpacebar

@Wartyh I'd also like to mention that Hisao Okawa simply was in charge of the animation of Heidi. The author was Johanna Spyri. Once again, I do believe it should be classified as an anime, but so should Otachan, My Last Day and Scott Pilgrim.
Nov 18, 2023 6:47 PM
Nov 2023
Reply to CrunchyCrobat
@CrunchyCrobat The director of Scott Pilgrim has an established anime career so no you're straight up wrong.
Nov 18, 2023 8:34 PM
Jul 2017
It makes absolutely no sense at all. This and the Rick and morty anime should 100 percent be on here lol. If not, then things like Super Crooks, Afro Samurai, Supernatural the Animation, or even freaking Moomin Valley shouldn’t be on here either. Mal’s criteria for what is anime and what isn’t is so freaking inconsistent.
Nov 18, 2023 8:36 PM
Jul 2022
Phlaryx said:
It makes absolutely no sense at all. This and the Rick and morty anime should 100 percent be on here lol. If not, then things like Super Crooks, Afro Samurai, Supernatural the Animation, or even freaking Moomin Valley shouldn’t be on here either. Mal’s criteria for what is anime and what isn’t is so freaking inconsistent.

i agree, starting to think anilist might be a new option..
Nov 18, 2023 8:48 PM
Oct 2019
13oFIVE said:
CrunchyCrobat said:

lil bro, suicide squad had to be signed by people other than japanese people for anyone to have the rights so if anything they came first 💀💀💀 it doesn’t matter. Marvel has rights over spiderman. Marvel is an American company, although they wouldn’t created the anime, they would have to aprove it. that meaning, they’re involved with it weither you like that or not

None of that matters, it’s still Japanese, sped stuff ur saying.
Nov 18, 2023 10:44 PM
Jul 2022
Sociopathic_Weeb said:
13oFIVE said:

None of that matters, it’s still Japanese, sped stuff ur saying.

i didn’t say it wasn’t imbred, I’m saying it’s not only japanese. that’s the argument. learn to read npc
Nov 18, 2023 10:53 PM
Oct 2020
Johangoddogkun14 said:
@CrunchyCrobat The director of Scott Pilgrim has an established anime career so no you're straight up wrong.

Maybe read for it a little, there's something very interesting in Mal guidelines if you do
"the series must be made in Japan and for Japanese"
Scott pilgrim doesn't fit either criteria, whether a few of its staff has anime career or not
Suicide squad isekai on the other hand IS made in Japan, and for Japanese as you can guess from it being an isekai (something very famous in Japan), so don't just go into people's dms and call them a clown,you circus
Nov 18, 2023 10:56 PM
Jul 2022
CrunchyCrobat said:
Johangoddogkun14 said:

Maybe read for it a little, there's something very interesting in Mal guidelines if you do
"the series must be made in Japan and for Japanese"
Scott pilgrim doesn't fit either criteria, whether a few of its staff has anime career or not
Suicide squad isekai on the other hand IS made in Japan, and for Japanese as you can guess from it being an isekai (something very famous in Japan), so don't just go into people's dms and call them a clown,you circus

bro still tryna say an american based show was solely made by Japan 💀💀💀
Nov 19, 2023 1:40 AM
Jul 2022
13oFIVE said:

Think the real question is: "Why is Link Click on MAL but Castlevania isn't?"
Nov 19, 2023 6:43 AM
Nov 2023
Reply to Golden_Cheese
13oFIVE said:

Think the real question is: "Why is Link Click on MAL but Castlevania isn't?"
@Golden_Cheese

Simple, because MAL allows Asian based shows to be added to the database, but not Western shows with outsourced animation, Castlevania was animated by an American studio in addition to Korean btw.
Nov 19, 2023 8:58 AM

Jan 2022
Reply to Aryu1410
Read this
@Aryu1410 alrighty, lets break this down cuz im actually curious now

1. It's animated.
yup!

2. It's created by professional staff in Japan for the Japanese market.
half yes, but actually full yes due to another rule

3. It's meant to be an animated work.
yup again

4. It's not an edit, cut, or promo of another animated work.
it certainly aint

5. Animated works must be created: in Japan for the Japanese market (anime)
in Korea for the Korean market (aeni)
in China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan for their respective markets (donghua)
as a joint production between Japan/Korea/China/Taiwan and another country, for both markets
hey there's that other rule i was talkin about! the next one is a bit trickier tho

6. Works must be produced: By reputable animation companies with professional animation creators in the country of origin. Joint productions must have at least one professional animation creator from I.1 in a key position with creative control over the production; e.g. director, script, storyboard, character design. If only the animation is outsourced to Japan/Korea/China, the animation is not eligible.

aha, the culprit is revealed! invader zim: enter the florpus had korean writers and animation outsourced to korea, but that isn't considered aeni and doesn't have a mal entry either. my best guess is that even though it's technically a collab between american artists and japanese artists, the show's production cast doesn't lean enough in the latter direction to warrant recognition as a proper anime. i actually didn't know spto was animated in japan before i saw this thread, so it not having a mal entry is likely due to a combo of westernized presentation and uneven division of creative control amongst those two groups. HOWEVER, if anyone can prove that there are japanese storyboarders or writers in lead positions working on spto, there's no other reason it shouldn't be on here
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why does MAL staff allow shows that are made for western audiences even though they claim to not allow these shows?

EndlessMaria - Jul 7, 2023

30 by Zarutaku »»
Yesterday, 10:31 AM

» This is one crazy combination...

0451 - Jul 3, 2023

37 by Seeker18 »»
Jun 12, 7:49 AM

» First 3 episodes dropping early and Streaming platforms

OvergrownRover - Jun 10

9 by KpoppinMel »»
Jun 11, 12:56 PM

» The script is written by the same guy who made Re:ZERO and Vivy

ApplePieHunter - Jul 3, 2023

45 by Bolona07 »»
Jun 9, 7:52 PM

» Why the fuck did they need to make this an Isekai? ( 1 2 )

AkihitoZero1224 - Jul 22, 2023

64 by Merve2Love »»
May 23, 12:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.