Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Blue Lock
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 30, 2022 8:32 AM
Nov 2017
How many of you guys have actually played team sports in your life (or been into sports as a fan) ?
I played football (soccer) for about 8 years competitively when I was in school and I´ve never been able to watch a sports anime because they feel kind of silly to me.

I´m curious.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 30, 2022 8:38 AM
Nov 2020
SaberFace said:
How many of you guys have actually played team sports in your life (or been into sports as a fan) ?
I played football (soccer) for about 8 years competitively when I was in school and I´ve never been able to watch a sports anime because they feel kind of silly to me.

I´m curious.

I played baseball for 7 years and watch Football (NFL) every year so I really like sports anime especially Blue Lock and Ace of the Diamond
Nov 30, 2022 8:42 AM
Dec 2020
I have been playing association football (I refuse to say the s-word) for 12 years and I'd like to continue as long as possible.

I personally like Sports anime a lot.
Nov 30, 2022 8:44 AM
Feb 2021
I played football a lot in elementary, nothing too formal tho. I love good football shows too like so ashi and blue lock
Nir#9404 on discord feel free to DM me
Nov 30, 2022 8:45 AM
Mar 2021
Infernalization said:
I have been playing association football (I refuse to say the s-word) for 12 years and I'd like to continue as long as possible.

soccer, said it, it's soccer it ain't that bad get over it call it both
Nov 30, 2022 8:47 AM
Jun 2021
I played water polo for good 4 years and basketball for 3 years.
Nov 30, 2022 8:59 AM
Aug 2022
SaberFace said:

I´m curious.

I usually never reply to discussion posts, but I have also played soccer competitively on a travel club for around 9 years when I was younger, then played basketball, then recently did powerlfiting competitively, competing in multiple competitions.
I personally don't find sports anime silly at all, hajime ippo is probably my favorite out of the ones I have seen so far. Yeah, sometimes they are dramatic, but when it comes to sports at a high level, you put in so much work to be the best, not just a Saturday after noon kick the ball session, so yes your gonna get mad, your gonna get hyped, and most of the all your going to give it your all no matter what it takes.
Nov 30, 2022 9:19 AM

Sep 2019
not a sport player but they're quite enjoyable watching with a couple of beers
Nov 30, 2022 9:22 AM

Sep 2013
I used to think Shaolin Soccer was stupid, especially that scene where a bunch of people were taking turns to shoot at the keeper from range instead of moving closer to get a better shot or just dribbling forward to pass sideways to an unmarked teammate.

But as I grew older, I learned to embrace the silliness and uniqueness of these shows. They do not detract from my enjoyment of actual real-life soccer. There aren't too many soccer movies or shows of decent quality out there, so when something like Shaolin Soccer or Blue Lock comes along, I try not to focus on their flaws and just enjoy them.

Seriously though, Shaolin Soccer is one of my favorite movies now and the Second Selection arc of the Blue Lock manga is amazing (though the art could be better).
TorribleDec 1, 2022 7:11 AM
Nov 30, 2022 9:24 AM
Jul 2022
I played for about 2 years of competitive soccer 😁 and always made my school 😅 But in general I like sports anime 😃
Nov 30, 2022 9:32 AM

Aug 2021
it's ok to like stupid things for the adrenaline rush , no one needs your approval for it
Stawberry Milk Supremacy
Nov 30, 2022 9:50 AM
Sep 2021
Soccer is the most boring sport on earth for me, but Blue lock has somehow done the impossible and made it hype.
Nov 30, 2022 10:01 AM
Feb 2021
I played a lot of different sports growing up, but my favorite is volleyball (played for 10 years). I really like sports anime and Haikyuu is my personal favorite! I didn’t enjoy playing soccer that much, but I really like shows like Blue Lock and Ao Ashi because it makes the sport look really fun and thrilling on screen.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 30, 2022 1:25 PM
Oct 2017
idc about the sport element really, it could have been about magic spell brawls and i would like it just the same

what i love about it is how smart the writing is, its expected that the main team is going to win but the way they win is not some stupid shit like power of friendship in demon slayer
Nov 30, 2022 1:49 PM

Sep 2020
I played football religiously in my boarding school until I moved to the U.S. about 4 years ago. Let's just say that there is an inferior version of football that is more popular around these parts.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Nov 30, 2022 2:55 PM
Mar 2022
SaberFace said:

I´m curious.

i was a national player in badminton
but having some experience in cricket ig shows like these are totally contradictory but fun to see something that u don't expect ig 😴😂
Nov 30, 2022 7:13 PM
Apr 2021
Grew up playing hockey and baseball my whole life competitively and soccer, volleyball, and basketball recreationally.

I love sports anime, i think they do a great job of capturing how intense the games feel to those who play it.
Nov 30, 2022 7:28 PM
Nov 2022
SaberFace said:

I´m curious.

I was used to play cricket till I was in 10th grade and this is also my first sports anime and now I am feeling like watching world cup
TokenTigerMDNov 30, 2022 7:31 PM
Nov 30, 2022 7:31 PM
Nov 2022
sapnu_puas2002 said:
Infernalization said:

whatever they want to call it is up to them
Nov 30, 2022 7:49 PM
Feb 2022
I played table tennis for 5 years competitively and also did track for around 3 years. Used to play football and cricket just for fun with my friends. so atleast in my opinion if you watch these shows too seriously like matching it with reality it won't be fun at all. But ig the objective is to make the people watching these shows feel a love for the sport or get interested and play it. I personally love sports anime a lot haikyuu being my favorite so yeah I enjoy these shows a lot.
Nov 30, 2022 10:56 PM

Nov 2013
Its about as silly as seeing office work anime as an office worker.

Accept the fact that these are cartoons, and that they are exaggerated.
Dec 1, 2022 12:27 AM
Dec 2021
Well i have played cricket up to state level and i usually like sports anime...I have watched too many sports anime just because it gets ur adrenaline high.🔥
Dec 1, 2022 1:19 AM
Mar 2021
i don't do any sports but love watching sports anime 😆
Dec 1, 2022 3:06 AM
Jul 2021
I played soccer from when i was 4 to when I was 16. Some sports anime aren't silly, some are. I like both. Sometimes you need to be able to separate the real world from an anime and understand that it's just a story meant to entertain. Sometimes the silly stuff is what's the most entertaining. Idk maybe you don't enjoy that and that's fine, but it doesn't mean sports anime is for people that don't play sports. You just need to understand that not everything that happens in anime is a comment on the real world or that it's meant to correlate at all. It's all just fun cartoons :)
Dec 1, 2022 6:45 AM
Jan 2021
Played soccer for 8 years in a club and honestly some of the are just silly fun. Honestly this show doesn't really have that much to offer but its an okay watch. Its a show where you can point to and say "this is manga/anime" and probably what makes it so popular. If you need a show to watch while eating its perfect.

But there are some that really caught me and brought me back a bit to the days I used to play like baby steps, ao ashi(too sad that the pacing was so slow) and especially haikyuu. Ping Pong had a different take on sports which I really enjoyed too and reminding you of why most of us probably started playing sports in the first place
Dec 1, 2022 9:44 AM

Jul 2021
ao ashi is a lot better just saying
Dec 1, 2022 2:16 PM

Jul 2019
Nope absolutely not, I have never had an interest in sports in my entire life.
Dec 2, 2022 8:05 PM

Mar 2012
SaberFace said:

I´m curious.

Well yea thats true. Anime is too drama-ish. It did better when sports anime within the sport i didnt play that much like basketball, voleyball or ping pong, also because ping pong was a masterpiece of a plot in anime.
Dec 2, 2022 8:09 PM

Mar 2012
koshiguruma said:
Soccer is the most boring sport on earth for me, but Blue lock has somehow done the impossible and made it hype.

Nope. How many pounds/kilograms you weight?
Dec 2, 2022 8:47 PM
Sep 2021
GoldSlash said:
koshiguruma said:

I don’t like it because it’s just boring. I weigh 180 pounds
Dec 3, 2022 7:04 AM
Nov 2017
Wow this has been a really cool and informative read.
(Also surprising bc I thought I deleted this, but apparently it´s still up?)

For me none of my team mates were ever into anime as far as I know,(also I think some youtubers who talk about liking these shows have said that they never played anything) and I never got too into these, so somehow I developed this idea that these shows are for people who don´t care about sports.

I didn´t make this to attack anyone I was just curious, it´s cool to know that so many former (and current) athletes are on here tho.

This was my first ever topic that I posted on here, I had to google how to do this lol.

Dec 3, 2022 8:39 AM

Jan 2021
I don't like soccer(or football) whatever it is. But watching this anime is entertaining
Roxy

Dec 3, 2022 2:10 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
I played recreational soccer in elementary school and did amateur wrestling for four years in high school. I also watch the NFL, NBA, and MLB so I'm a huge sports fan that is willing to watch sports anime as long as its entertaining. Another reason why I like watching Sports anime is that I like seeing the competitive nature of the characters.
Dec 3, 2022 2:23 PM

Nov 2020
I’ve played cricket for 10 years, and football for over 10 years (still playing football). I tend to decide how to watch an anime depending on how realistic it is. For example, for blue lock as it’s a more wacky and unrealistic premise, I tend to kind of switch my head off and not bother thinking too deeply abt how certain things don’t make sense, only times I genuinely turn my brain on is when they’re starting to discuss interesting philosophies/tactics. If it’s something more interesting like ao ashi, I tend to watch more closely and analyse what they say more thoroughly. Both types are very enjoyable imo.
Dec 3, 2022 2:37 PM

Jul 2012
I played soccer for four years. I also learned basketball and softball/baseball but I never played those competitively.

I enjoy the unrealistic elements as long as it doesn't become superpower-based, such as Inazuma Eleven.
Dec 3, 2022 2:54 PM

Apr 2013
2 years basketball, 8 years American Football.

Some are silly, some are not. big whoop.
Dec 3, 2022 5:21 PM

Nov 2007
Never played any sports, and have no interest in any sport at all and dont follow anything about sports.
Dec 3, 2022 5:28 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Played futbol for about 20 years on and off, never competitively though, basketball for 5 years, and probably something else I'm misremembering. I was good at none.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Dec 3, 2022 7:35 PM
Apr 2022
SaberFace said:

I´m curious.
Yeah I played soccer for 10 years but eventually quit cuz i found the club environment to be toxic. Then I joined the football team and got into that. To this day I hate most sports anime cuz power of friendship is boring as fuck. Blue lock is something special though, rarely enjoy an anime this much, much less a sports anime
Dec 3, 2022 11:34 PM

Nov 2019
I played badminton in elementary. Never played soccer, but I want to try it.
Dec 4, 2022 12:26 AM

Mar 2012
koshiguruma said:
GoldSlash said:

sorry, thats a lot for football in general, i know you are too slow to run, ofc is boring when you cant run.
Dec 4, 2022 10:57 AM
Sep 2021
GoldSlash said:
koshiguruma said:

sorry, thats a lot for football in general, i know you are too slow to run, ofc is boring when you cant run.

Lmfao, excuse me? I can run just fine. Obviously not like a lightweight barebone 115 pound forward, but I’m still more than capable of running for an entire match. There’s just other sports that involve running that are far more entertaining
Dec 4, 2022 11:11 AM

Jun 2014
I played baseball from 5 to 13 and I watch the NBA. Never really cared for soccer/football (although I have checked out a couple World Cup matches) but I checked out this anime because of the hype around it.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Dec 5, 2022 1:18 AM

Dec 2020
Played football for a few years. Chess too if that counts. And table tennis as a hobby.
Dec 7, 2022 2:58 PM

Mar 2012
koshiguruma said:
GoldSlash said:

Lmfao, excuse me? I can run just fine. Obviously not like a lightweight barebone 115 pound forward, but I’m still more than capable of running for an entire match. There’s just other sports that involve running that are far more entertaining

idk anyone that is not profesional that can play even decent with that weight. i really doubt all that story or that you have any kind of sprint. You probably are slow and play defender. im so sorry about that.
Dec 8, 2022 6:01 AM

Apr 2021
sapnu_puas2002 said:
Infernalization said:

yeah
People care way too much for no reason
Dec 10, 2022 10:21 AM

Dec 2018
played football (american) and baseball as well as track but never really been into sports anime; i just think this one is really well done. never even cared for soccer.
Dec 11, 2022 5:03 AM

Jan 2021
I played football 🏈 when I was in 7th and 8th grade. This my first “real” sports anime (I tried watching SK8 the Infinity, wasn’t the biggest fan) and I think it’s awesome, the absurdity and the adrenaline rush it gives me is just unparalleled.
under”Mebius” is my salvation

Dec 11, 2022 6:50 AM
May 2017
I only played solo sports, but I'm pretty sure everyone knows these types of sports anime aren't realistic😂😂 we watch it cuz it's epic not because how accurate it is to real life
Dec 11, 2022 9:25 AM

Apr 2018
i'm more of an individual sports kinda guy, did gymnastics competitively for 9 years and climbing for another 5 and while i never approach a sports anime thinking it's going to be realistic, some do manage to be relatable at least. Haikyuu has a lot of elements that sportspeople can appreciate i'd say, but i've come to find that real relatability often comes from shows you wouldn't necessarily expect, things like 3gatsu no lion, dance dance danseur or even chihayafuru. not necessarily sports anime, but sports adjacent dramas, i suppose. but could also be that this is my individual sports bias showing, as none of these are about team sports.

that being said, blue lock isn't even really a sports series, so i feel like looking at it from that perspective is doing a disservice to both the show and yourself.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Blue Lock Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Mar 25, 2023

343 by bubba460z »»
May 25, 4:07 PM

Poll: » Blue Lock Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 19, 2022

223 by rahneyskies »»
May 20, 2:15 PM

Poll: » Blue Lock Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 8, 2022

760 by bubba460z »»
May 19, 11:53 PM

» Why is it a power point?

Leon888 - May 14

46 by Kaitaka12 »»
May 16, 11:56 PM

Poll: » Blue Lock Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2023

130 by Cammell »»
May 9, 1:13 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.