Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 25, 2019 9:29 AM

Jul 2015
Are they going to ignore the events prior of Alternative? How is that supposed to work for anime only viewers?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 26, 2019 10:27 AM
Jun 2016
AdrianRubinsky said:
Are they going to ignore the events prior of Alternative? How is that supposed to work for anime only viewers?

Not sure either. Probably they'll do some flashbacks or they will cover these events roughly, but that still won't be enough. Only age knows, I guess?
Oct 26, 2019 4:34 PM
Jul 2018
They should delete the synopsis, it's a very big spoiler for people that haven't played it.
Nov 6, 2019 7:59 PM
Oct 2019
Im quite happy this is getting animated, it should not be ignored AT ALL, and if even it doesnt have a point for anime only viewers, for us, fans does have A LOT of meaning
Nov 6, 2019 8:01 PM

May 2013
I agree, it is a very important plot point Takeru dicked all the girls in all the other timelines.

That and y'know, the proper buildup to all the important events.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Nov 9, 2019 10:52 PM

Oct 2017
AdrianRubinsky said:

Yeah, I feel like skipping Unlimited takes a lot away from Alternative. And it's hard to imagine Unlimited being anywhere near as interesting without going through Extra first. Although I'm of the opinion Unlimited is vastly underrated, so I may be biased. Here's to hoping it turns out okay.
Nov 10, 2019 6:04 AM

Jul 2015
Beechedwhale8 said:

Yeah, I feel like skipping Unlimited takes a lot away from Alternative. And it's hard to imagine Unlimited being anywhere near as interesting without going through Extra first. Although I'm of the opinion Unlimited is vastly underrated, so I may be biased. Here's to hoping it turns out okay.

There is no bias when the Alternative...

They could fast forward Extra (it's a complete garbage anyway) but it is impossible to pretend it never existed... Unlimited is much more tricky...

Nov 10, 2019 6:07 AM

Jan 2009
im interested on this since its highly praise like it reminds me of how much Evangelion is praise too

its even a huge influence to Attack on Titan i heard too

but ye i also want a complete adaptation and not just the ending arc
Jan 25, 2020 10:29 PM

Feb 2017
It's probably intended to be complimentary to those who have already read Muv Luv.
Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill.
Jan 25, 2020 11:23 PM

Nov 2019
The best way they can handle Extra is by using flashbacks or doing a sort of "Episode 0" type thing like in Total Eclipse.

Actually they can do Unlimited then have the jump and use a montage to get to where the divergence happens in Alt. Takes care of both of those at once, and again Extra can be a sort of prologue via flash backs or something. It deviates from source to a degree but can't have it all perfect and I'd rather they spend budget on Alt instead anyways.

I'm already just happy to get more anime adaptions of Muv-Luv. I've been hoping for some TDA adaptions since SM was fairly good.
Nico nico ni~eed a siggy like the all the cool kids
Really wish we had a rep system so I could farm it and spam rep+
Feb 25, 2020 7:22 AM

Jan 2016
ItsaNico said:
The best way they can handle Extra is by using flashbacks or doing a sort of "Episode 0" type thing like in Total Eclipse.

Actually they can do Unlimited then have the jump and use a montage to get to where the divergence happens in Alt. Takes care of both of those at once, and again Extra can be a sort of prologue via flash backs or something. It deviates from source to a degree but can't have it all perfect and I'd rather they spend budget on Alt instead anyways.

I'm already just happy to get more anime adaptions of Muv-Luv. I've been hoping for some TDA adaptions since SM was fairly good.

This is probably what they'll do, but it'll still lose all of the impact. Extra is important to Unlimited because we've seen Takerus daily life and we understand his struggle to get it back. And Unlimited is important to Alternative because Takeru now has seen the end of the world and he's a completely different guy, so we can emphasize with Takeru because we know of his origin.

Aside from the fact that anime onlys won't understand why we all praise Muv Luv Alternative so much, I'm extremly excited to see it all animated!
Jun 5, 2020 4:26 PM

Oct 2017
They can do some flashbacks in the beginning. Extra (especially) and to a lesser extent Unlimited are pretty weak, I don't think adapting them completely would be smart. Most anime fans would probably drop it.

I hope they adapt Muv Luv Alternative well, thats the best VN ever
Oct 25, 2020 12:37 AM

Jun 2016
What is this?

They should continue the total eclipse.
Why the hell they made another?
Previous adaptation still no progress and here we are another series.

The world is cruel, ugly and pitiful. Let's watch anime and make it colorful
Oct 25, 2020 2:12 AM

Jan 2012
I enjoyed Alternative. Will this be the same character and plot or different?

Yahallo!
Yatta!
Baka!

<!
"Humans, your existence was a mistake. Conflicts, lies, jealously, greed. You once caused me to lose everything and today I will devour everything... Because I am the Valkyrie Goddess">
Oct 25, 2020 3:02 AM

Apr 2015
I'm curious how much are they going to ruin it. I'm so glad I played the VN and enjoyed its whole beauty.
Oct 25, 2020 4:27 AM

Jul 2020
so the characters are different than the last one? I don't play the visual novel I only know the anime and it's spin off anime
Oct 25, 2020 7:47 AM

Jul 2015
scout_joe said:
so the characters are different than the last one? I don't play the visual novel I only know the anime and it's spin off anime

Muv-Luv Alternative is Part 3 of the Muv-Luv novel. 1st part is Extra and 2nd is Unlimited.

Other Muv-Luv animes are actually spin-offs from this.

Luuji222 said:
What is this?

Fans were begging to adapt the original series since the beginning, and now they got it. There was always very little interest for Total Eclipse and other spin-offs. They are very inferior compared with the original.
Oct 25, 2020 9:15 AM
Oct 2020
Luuji222 said:
What is this?

>Nooo why are they adapting the best one in the series. Should've continued the garbage fire called TE.

No joke though, the quality difference between Total Eclipse and Schwarzesmarken is just astounding.
Oct 25, 2020 9:31 AM

May 2016
AdrianRubinsky said:

There was an interview with Kouki at the beginning of the year.

I hope things haven't changed since then, because it could be a great anime if they go with this kind of adaptation. Also, you can read the full interview here (spoilers, obviously).
SnailSavantOct 25, 2020 9:35 AM
Oct 25, 2020 10:57 AM

Jul 2015
LoliWorshipper said:
AdrianRubinsky said:

There was an interview with Kouki at the beginning of the year.

I hope things haven't changed since then, because it could be a great anime if they go with this kind of adaptation. Also, you can read the full interview here (spoilers, obviously).

I'm not sure going for Marimo's POV as a prequel and then changing to Takeru will do any good. The MC popping out of nowhere later on will be weird.

AdrianRubinskyOct 25, 2020 11:00 AM
Oct 25, 2020 11:10 AM

May 2016
AdrianRubinsky said:

I'm not sure going for Marimo's POV as a prequel and then changing to Takeru will do any good.

And what if it won't be Takeru's POV? I think the anime would be interesting if we'd get a Yuuko POV for the Alternative events. Or Meiya's POV for that matter

Also, Total Eclipse had a POV change, and I think it wasn't bad or jarring.
Oct 25, 2020 11:42 AM
Oct 2012
WHAT.??!!,WHY??
Oct 25, 2020 11:44 AM

Jul 2017
honestly who knows i wanna play the VN, its like one of the best i heard
Oct 25, 2020 3:58 PM
Dec 2014
Gotta trust Yoshimune-san on that one, but with all the following Muv-Luv has gathered since the kickstarter you can bet your ass that there will be good money invested in this anime. Heck, that last PV has far surpassed my expectations even if it's CG.

I'm glad that they're aware of the challenge that consists of adapting Alternative alone. They seem to have good ideas of how to do it without the buildup of Extra and Unlimited. Flashbacks could be a thing, but can you even get people to be invested in the characters this way? Tenjou Tenge tried this and it somewhat failed...

They gonna be spammin' Sumika images every chance they get and everyone will be so confused haha
Oct 26, 2020 12:48 AM

Aug 2014
I Can say i didn't even read Unlimited and Extra. Only Alternative and worked fine. Just google a little but not much I think flashback was good enough. Also I was a Sumika team anyway hahaha. Like there was only "one" route in Alternative.
Oct 29, 2020 4:34 AM

Jun 2016
AdrianRubinsky said:
scout_joe said:

Muv-Luv Alternative is Part 3 of the Muv-Luv novel. 1st part is Extra and 2nd is Unlimited.

Luuji222 said:
What is this?

Fans were begging to adapt the original series since the beginning, and now they got it. There was always very little interest for Total Eclipse and other spin-offs. They are very inferior compared with the original.
so maybe this be good?

Oct 29, 2020 6:34 AM

Jul 2015
Luuji222 said:
AdrianRubinsky said:

so maybe this be good?

The adaptation is being handled by the original creator and the VN company who said it will probably be multiple seasons to have enough time to tell the story. It seems they know the landmine field they are in and decided to take full control. So yea.... maybe this VN adaptation will work.

AdrianRubinskyOct 29, 2020 6:40 AM
Oct 29, 2020 9:42 AM

Jun 2016
AdrianRubinsky said:
Luuji222 said:
so maybe this be good?

The adaptation is being handled by the original creator and the VN company who said it will probably be multiple seasons to have enough time to tell the story. It seems they know the landmine field they are in and decided to take full control. So yea.... maybe this VN adaptation will work.

better they focus more on the story and char-development since the action thing is not that hype cuz they relying so much on CG which is kind disappointing

Nov 1, 2020 5:31 AM

Jul 2014
Ok so I'm confused. I originally watched Muv Luv Alternative and it was great. Steam then got Muv Luv Extra, Unlimited and Alternative VNs which I've been working through.

Where does this tie into it all? Like a break down of order to read/play/watch? Is Total Eclipse essentially stand alone?

Nov 1, 2020 8:16 AM
Oct 2020
ParsleyParsnips said:
Ok so I'm confused. I originally watched Muv Luv Alternative and it was great. Steam then got Muv Luv Extra, Unlimited and Alternative VNs which I've been working through.

Where does this tie into it all? Like a break down of order to read/play/watch? Is Total Eclipse essentially stand alone?

It' pretty simple. There is the main trilogy, which is extra/unlimited and alternative. Then there are the spin offs, which are Total Eclipse and Schwarzesmarken. And there are the side stories(Photonmelodies, photonflowers, etc). As for playing order, play the main trilogy first then you can play/watch whichever you want after that.
Nov 3, 2020 9:18 AM

Jul 2014
dailybread said:
ParsleyParsnips said:

It' pretty simple. There is the main trilogy, which is extra/unlimited and alternative. Then there are the spin offs, which are Total Eclipse and Schwarzesmarken. And there are the side stories(Photonmelodies, photonflowers, etc). As for playing order, play the main trilogy first then you can play/watch whichever you want after that.

So this anime isn't relevant to anything at all?

Nov 4, 2020 8:16 PM
Dec 2007
ParsleyParsnips said:
dailybread said:

The Anime is an adaptation of the third part of the trilogy’, Muv Luv Alternative. It’s also considered one of the greatest visual novels of all time, which is why the hype is high for it. I’m about half way through it now after binging the first two parts over the last couple of weeks. Firstly, the VN is living up to expectations lol. secondly I have no idea how they’re going to handle this without Extra and Unlimited. Extra really makes the drama in Alternative hit home. Hopefully it’s just called Alternative for marketing purposes but it covers both Extra and Unlimited as well.
Nov 5, 2020 5:07 AM

Nov 2007
Fall 2021 via +Ultra
https://twitter.com/plusultra_tv/status/1324336497613402118
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 5, 2020 5:25 AM
Jul 2018
Tell me what visual novel or content I had to consume before diving into this
Nov 5, 2020 11:49 AM

Jul 2014
clint87 said:
ParsleyParsnips said:

The Anime is an adaptation of the third part of the trilogy’, Muv Luv Alternative. It’s also considered one of the greatest visual novels of all time, which is why the hype is high for it. I’m about half way through it now after binging the first two parts over the last couple of weeks. Firstly, the VN is living up to expectations lol. secondly I have no idea how they’re going to handle this without Extra and Unlimited. Extra really makes the drama in Alternative hit home. Hopefully it’s just called Alternative for marketing purposes but it covers both Extra and Unlimited as well.

If this is an adaptation of the third part of the trilogy then what was Total Eclipse? It's all very confusing. xD

Nov 5, 2020 2:13 PM

Jul 2015
ParsleyParsnips said:
clint87 said:

If this is an adaptation of the third part of the trilogy then what was Total Eclipse? It's all very confusing. xD

What was Total Eclipse? Something I would recommend you to forget.

Original/Canon/Whatever you may call it:
Muv Luv Extra (Part 1)
Muv Luv Unlimited (Part 2)
Muv Luv Alternative (Part 3) <<< You are in this anime discussion forum

What you should label as spin off (or a bad attempt at making a little money on the side with fans):

Muv Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse (Yes, they used the name Muv Luv Alternative as a bait, but the story is not related)
Schwarzesmarken
Nov 6, 2020 7:21 PM
Nov 2013
Anyone who watches this before reading the VN is doing themselves a major disservice
Nov 7, 2020 3:48 AM

Jul 2014
AdrianRubinsky said:
ParsleyParsnips said:

Muv Luv Extra (Part 1)

What you should label as spin off (or a bad attempt at making a little money on the side with fans):

Muv Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse (Yes, they used the name Muv Luv Alternative as a bait, but the story is not related)
Schwarzesmarken

Ah that makes more sense now. Tho I did enjoy Total Eclipse and got me into the franchise. I'm trying to get myself through Extra.. bit too eh for me, waiting for the action in Unlimited/Alternative myself.

Nov 11, 2020 6:34 PM
Dec 2007
ParsleyParsnips said:
AdrianRubinsky said:

Muv Luv Extra (Part 1)

Schwarzesmarken

Ah that makes more sense now. Tho I did enjoy Total Eclipse and got me into the franchise. I'm trying to get myself through Extra.. bit too eh for me, waiting for the action in Unlimited/Alternative myself.
I just finished Alternative just now, it also took me a while to get through extra but your patience will be rewarded. Now that I’ve finished all three, I guess I’m going to be the weird one and say Unlimited was my favorite. Alternative was great, but the pacing is pretty terrible at the 30 percent mark. Now that I’m done with it, I’m actually more excited about the anime. alternative is in desperate need of an editor and having someone go through it and remove alone of the fluff can make for a much better paced story.
Jan 7, 2021 10:25 PM

Mar 2014
AdrianRubinsky said:
ParsleyParsnips said:

Muv Luv Extra (Part 1)

Schwarzesmarken

Don't forget "A Shimmering Shard of Spacetime" (Altered Fable/Photonmelodies). It is the official epilogue to the trilogy and a much needed soothing lotion for after Alternative butt rapes your heart.
Oct 8, 2021 9:44 AM

Jul 2014
Liquidacid said:
AdrianRubinsky said:

Muv Luv Extra (Part 1)

Schwarzesmarken

Don't forget "A Shimmering Shard of Spacetime" (Altered Fable/Photonmelodies). It is the official epilogue to the trilogy and a much needed soothing lotion for after Alternative butt rapes your heart.

All ages photonmelodies/memories drakeno.jpg

Goddamn mini games in altered fable, but play for after stories of the twins dolanpls.jpg
Oct 8, 2021 10:03 AM
Feb 2015
AdrianRubinsky said:
ParsleyParsnips said:

Muv Luv Extra (Part 1)

Schwarzesmarken

To be fair, Total Eclipse has a huge affect on the main operation for Alternative. So it's not completely unrelated.
Oct 8, 2021 10:29 AM

Sep 2007
I am surprised there wasnt Muv Luv extra harem anime done prior to this
Oct 9, 2021 12:31 AM

Jun 2010
As a relatively new person to the franchise (I've only watched total eclipse prior) this is getting beyond annoying. Why dont they anime the first games first? They keep releasing things in such a strange order that is damaging the franchise imo. I really like the universe from what I've seen of TE but making me go back to try the other games that is possibly 100's of hours is turning me off and I will not watch this... whoever is in charge of these decisions should be sent packing.

Oct 9, 2021 3:49 AM

Mar 2021
This is really suck... Muv-luv Alternative no doubt the best part of the series but if they introduce it right off the bat it'd make audience confuse wtf is going on. I doubt they can fully convey the message of Alternative giving the sheer length of lore and build-up of its. I mean they did this series dirty by only 12 episode how is that enough for fan let only anime viewers to know how epic the battle of Sadogashima the desperate of Beta taking over Yokohama Base and the fierce and suicide final battle.
NhtDesuOct 9, 2021 3:56 AM
Oct 9, 2021 4:15 AM

Jan 2015
NhtDesu said:
This is really suck... Muv-luv Alternative no doubt the best part of the series but if they introduce it right off the bat it'd make audience confuse wtf is going on. I doubt they can fully convey the message of Alternative giving the sheer length of lore and build-up of its. I mean they did this series dirty by only 12 episode how is that enough for fan let only anime viewers to know how epic the battle of Sadogashima the desperate of Beta taking over Yokohama Base and the fierce and suicide final battle.

I'm just think this anime existance is just extension of PTSD effect of Muv Luv. To let Muv Luv fans suffer a bit more.
Rance X is A GOAT.
Oct 9, 2021 4:34 AM

Mar 2021
barthos said:
NhtDesu said:

I'm just think this anime existance is just extension of PTSD effect of Muv Luv. To let Muv Luv fans suffer a bit more.

Let's just hope they don't f*ck the storyline up like the promised neverland ss2. That is all I can said at this point
Oct 30, 2021 1:13 PM
Nov 2020
ParsleyParsnips said:

Total Eclipse is in the Alternative timeline of the original trilogy, and is a spinoff set in that timeline. It will eventually converge with a certain moment in the original trilogy, but not a story breaking retcon, as characters won't meet.

Meta: Age was trying to revitalise itself using an anime adaptation (which worked, now the franchise got new fans), while advertising their upcoming visual novel for Total Eclipse.
Oct 30, 2021 7:00 PM
Feb 2015
Tentaclehusbando said:
ParsleyParsnips said:

Total Eclipse is in the Alternative timeline of the original trilogy, and is a spinoff set in that timeline. It will eventually converge with a certain moment in the original trilogy, but not a story breaking retcon, as characters won't meet.

Meta: Age was trying to revitalise itself using an anime adaptation (which worked, now the franchise got new fans), while advertising their upcoming visual novel for Total Eclipse.

I think you mean upcoming English release of Total Eclipse. I know it's not something to mention, just that we still don't know when the English release it going to be out. Just like Integrate and Resonative. ( ._.)\
Oct 31, 2021 7:03 AM
Nov 2020
ixarising said:
Tentaclehusbando said:

I think you mean upcoming English release of Total Eclipse. I know it's not something to mention, just that we still don't know when the English release it going to be out. Just like Integrate and Resonative. ( ._.)

No, I meant the time period around Total Eclipse's anime adaptation. There were novels, but the finale's on the then upcoming visual novel released after the anime. More or less same with Schwarzesmarken. It's the same every time.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2021

82 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 11, 2023 4:31 AM

» Why fans are OVERREACTING.?

Sandro8604 - Oct 14, 2021

46 by koneroko »»
Dec 27, 2022 4:09 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2021

45 by MoeMoeKyun »»
Nov 16, 2022 7:04 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2021

44 by MoeMoeKyun »»
Nov 16, 2022 6:44 PM

» There is no Muv Luv Alternative anime ( 1 2 )

OppaiSugoi - Oct 13, 2021

63 by ixarising »»
Oct 8, 2022 11:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.