Forum Settings
Forums

Free aps, sites, and PSDs for editing pics, making graphics, BBCode, CSS, and finding images

New
Nov 18, 2014 4:01 PM

Feb 2010
This has been outdated and moved to the current stickies
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?clubid=19736
Shishio-kunFeb 17, 2023 1:59 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jan 5, 2015 10:15 AM
Jul 2018
Since you said:

Shishio-kun said:
You can suggest other programs or add-ons in this topic too

I have a few things to add/suggest...

For "Free programs", I would like to add Paint.net (a program, not a website - though it sounds like one)

- You probably know of it already, but in the slim case you don't, it is a very useful and simple graphic design program with a lot of tools. It is being updated pretty regularly, so that is also a plus. It's almost like a simpler (and more streamlined) version of Gimp. The only downside is that it is Windows compatible only.

For "Sites with generators", I would like to add Flamingtext.com

- They have a lot of customizable options, from your normal png renders, to the more flashy gif renders. Essentially more of the same stuff that Cooltext does - with a large selection of fonts, etc, that Cooltext doesn't have. When you get ready to render, it asks if it is for personal or commercial use - all personal use is completely free, so no problems there.

Hope you find these useful. ;)
removed-userJan 5, 2015 10:31 AM
Jan 5, 2015 2:01 PM

Feb 2010
Did you use Paint for your recent project? If so, I can add it. I stopped recommending Paint.net for some reason I can't remember..

Thanks the logo site is useful, like another Cooltext. I'll add that!
Jan 5, 2015 4:00 PM
Jul 2018
Yes, I did. If the reason was a glitch of some sort, it's more than likely fixed now by updates. I've used it often (over the last two years) and haven't run into any glitches. Also, thanks for the indirect compliment on my recent project - means a lot. ^^

You're welcome. Glad you found it useful.
Jan 5, 2015 4:15 PM

Aug 2014
animesthabomb said:
Yes, I did. If the reason was a glitch of some sort, it's more than likely fixed now by updates. I've used it often (over the last two years) and haven't run into any glitches. Also, thanks for the indirect compliment on my recent project - means a lot. ^^

What can paint.net do that gimp can't? Never used it.
Jan 5, 2015 4:50 PM
Jul 2018
Satiriques said:
animesthabomb said:

What can paint.net do that gimp can't? Never used it.

Hard to truly say (for me at least). I've only moderately used gimp in the past (for things such as the Guillotine ability/just-testing-it-out; and none of the extremely recent versions). So, I'm not really the most well-versed there... But to me they seem pretty much one-in-the-same as far as overall functionality goes - but I really can't say for sure. There are bound to be things that each program can do that the other can't, but I don't know what they are (beyond gimp's Guillotine ability).

Another point: from my standpoint (but, keep my lack of recent gimp knowledge in mind) they are very different in their GUI. Paint.net's interface has a slightly easier learning curve than gimp's, but that might not be a good thing for experienced users looking for a free program. Newer users might find Paint.net easier - possibly. And more experienced users might like gimp better.
removed-userJan 5, 2015 5:02 PM
Jan 8, 2015 6:56 PM
Jul 2018
@Shishio-kun, you may want to update the link to Notepad ++ to: http://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.7.3.html

It has since updated. ;)
Mar 10, 2015 11:07 AM

Feb 2010
Updated this somewhat. Its now the sticky that contains the image finding sites too and the link to the share bars, plus the text changes should make it a little easier to navigate. If you have anything to contribute be sure to let me know so I can consider adding it!
Jun 18, 2015 8:17 AM
Nov 2014
I thought I'd suggest adding a set of links or it's own page if you like to currently opened member's cards pages. They seem pretty popular to me and things get buried really fast here.
Jun 18, 2015 11:39 AM

Feb 2010
AyumeLove said:
I thought I'd suggest adding a set of links or it's own page if you like to currently opened member's cards pages. They seem pretty popular to me and things get buried really fast here.

OK, I've added a link to the main member card directory in the OP. The closed shops are separated at the bottom and all other shops above (which are opened and closed at the owner's discretion).
Jun 21, 2015 10:31 AM
Nov 2014
Shishio-kun said:
AyumeLove said:

OK, I've added a link to the main member card directory in the OP. The closed shops are separated at the bottom and all other shops above (which are opened and closed at the owner's discretion).

Thanks for the quick reply. This morning I found a page that had all the cards on there but as far as I can tell it's not a sticky. But I guess it's still easier to find if it's here. After all this page is called "All Club Programs" so this is where I would look first.
PS it doesn't seem to me that it would be a bad idea to sticky the post that has all the cards on it. Maybe that's just me. It does seem like a post that wouldn't "expire" for lack of better words.

Thanks again! Bye!
Jun 21, 2015 3:05 PM

Feb 2010
AyumeLove said:
Shishio-kun said:

Thanks for the quick reply. This morning I found a page that had all the cards on there but as far as I can tell it's not a sticky. But I guess it's still easier to find if it's here. After all this page is called "All Club Programs" so this is where I would look first.
PS it doesn't seem to me that it would be a bad idea to sticky the post that has all the cards on it. Maybe that's just me. It does seem like a post that wouldn't "expire" for lack of better words.

Thanks again! Bye!

This Index should be the one to find all the topics by category:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1309889
Hmm it used to be a sticky, but its not there anymore for some reason so I added it back in.

Ah that "all member cards" page is linked at the top of all member card topics, and member card topics are always on the first page and front page so I didn't want to make that page a sticky too as we decided a long time ago that less stickies the better. However, since MAL staff recently increased the size of the forum page to show like 50 topics per page I've thought about moving all the "show all" topics seen on the Index page to sticky and taking the Index off sticky. Might do this when I'm done doing my club-wide revamping since unfortunately ppl aren't using the big Index like I hoped
Jul 23, 2015 5:48 PM

Mar 2015
Photoscape is a great free editing program that is easily usable. The site's Help section explains how everything works, so it's easy to learn to use it. :) The only shortcoming is that it doesn't save transparent pixels on PNG images unless the image already had them when you started editing it.

W3Schools Online Web Tutorials is an website that offers explanations on HTML, JavaScript, Web Building and the like; it also comes with some useful tools, like their color picker tool, and tutorials. This was where I learned HTML.

Free Online Image Editor is a fun online image editor that's really easy to use, a really helpful thing for people that, for whatever reason, cannot download an editing program.

Pictaculous is a color palette generator. Whenever you're not sure what colors to use, you can just upload the image you are working with; this will analyze it and generate a color palette as well as alternative suggestions.

Color Hex is quite literary a dictionary for colors. You can look for colors here; search by attributes, name, etc. for any color you wish. Once you do, you will be taken to a page like this, that will give you a lot of information about it: its' shades, tints, RGB and CMYK color percentages, triadic, analogous, and complementary colors to it, monochromatic colors of it, as well as a ton of previous of how it looks on the web - on black, on white, on text, etc. It also lists related color suggestions at the very bottom.

dafont.com is my favorite and go-to site when it comes to downloading fonts. Everything on the site can be downloaded for free, although some fonts come with donation ware and, of course, certain legal restrictions for commercial usage.
Jul 27, 2015 11:48 PM

Feb 2010
EMPERATRIX said:
Photoscape is a great free editing program that is easily usable. The site's Help section explains how everything works, so it's easy to learn to use it. :) The only shortcoming is that it doesn't save transparent pixels on PNG images unless the image already had them when you started editing it.

W3Schools Online Web Tutorials is an website that offers explanations on HTML, JavaScript, Web Building and the like; it also comes with some useful tools, like their color picker tool, and tutorials. This was where I learned HTML.

Free Online Image Editor is a fun online image editor that's really easy to use, a really helpful thing for people that, for whatever reason, cannot download an editing program.

Pictaculous is a color palette generator. Whenever you're not sure what colors to use, you can just upload the image you are working with; this will analyze it and generate a color palette as well as alternative suggestions.

Color Hex is quite literary a dictionary for colors. You can look for colors here; search by attributes, name, etc. for any color you wish. Once you do, you will be taken to a page like this, that will give you a lot of information about it: its' shades, tints, RGB and CMYK color percentages, triadic, analogous, and complementary colors to it, monochromatic colors of it, as well as a ton of previous of how it looks on the web - on black, on white, on text, etc. It also lists related color suggestions at the very bottom.

dafont.com is my favorite and go-to site when it comes to downloading fonts. Everything on the site can be downloaded for free, although some fonts come with donation ware and, of course, certain legal restrictions for commercial usage.

OK thanks, I've added all these to the OP
Aug 25, 2015 8:52 AM

Mar 2015
Aug 28, 2015 10:09 AM

Jun 2014
Just found this site : freepik.com

Really useful for ressource, psd, vector etc

Dec 21, 2015 6:30 PM

Feb 2010
Updated with some new sites
Mar 20, 2016 7:03 PM

Jul 2015
Gonna suggest this handy site that I use more than I should: https://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

It's a CSS validator, great when you can't figure out what you're doing wrong.
Nov 13, 2016 8:56 PM

Feb 2010
Doomcat said:
Gonna suggest this handy site that I use more than I should: https://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

It's a CSS validator, great when you can't figure out what you're doing wrong.

Perfect timing! I'm adding a "useful sites" topic now so we can link it easily from the front page to ppl
Aug 3, 2019 7:20 PM

Feb 2010
Updated with new links, sites, aps, and a video :D
Aug 4, 2019 4:51 PM

Jul 2013
cool .. that's great, those extensions tools might come in handy
Aug 4, 2019 5:18 PM

Feb 2010
TaLoN_senpai said:
cool .. that's great, those extensions tools might come in handy

Aug 29, 2019 7:51 PM
Jul 2018
I know the original suggestion is years old, but I'll add my support for adding paint.net to the programs list anyway. I haven't been using it anymore because I moved away from Windows, but I think the UI is *much* easier for a newbie to learn compared to, say, gimp, and that makes it a worthwhile recommendation for newbies on Windows.
Aug 29, 2019 8:16 PM

Feb 2010
cryptier said:
I know the original suggestion is years old, but I'll add my support for adding paint.net to the programs list anyway. I haven't been using it anymore because I moved away from Windows, but I think the UI is *much* easier for a newbie to learn compared to, say, gimp, and that makes it a worthwhile recommendation for newbies on Windows.

That's an excellent tip! I didn't know this. I haven't tried Paint.net but I would like to look into a video on making graphics on it sometime maybe next year. Thanks for the info!

And we have a similar mean anime rating score too :D
Shishio-kunAug 29, 2019 10:51 PM
Aug 29, 2019 9:03 PM
Jul 2018
Shishio-kun said:
cryptier said:

That's an excellent tip! I didn't know this. I haven't tried Paint but I would like to look into a video on making graphics on it sometime maybe next year. Thanks for the info!

Hey I'm glad I could help. By the way, I highly recommend referring to the program as Paint.net rather than just Paint in order to avoid confusion with MS Paint.
Aug 29, 2019 10:51 PM

Feb 2010
cryptier said:
Shishio-kun said:

That's an excellent tip! I didn't know this. I haven't tried Paint but I would like to look into a video on making graphics on it sometime maybe next year. Thanks for the info!

Hey I'm glad I could help. By the way, I highly recommend referring to the program as Paint.net rather than just Paint in order to avoid confusion with MS Paint.

Oh that's right I forgot, I'll fix it :D
Feb 15, 2020 5:16 AM

Apr 2016
Canva Really convenient for designing.
Jun 27, 2021 8:46 AM

Feb 2010
Updated a bit
Aug 25, 2022 11:30 AM

Feb 2010
For a short time in 2012ish, you could create a 3-D view of your CSS in Firefox, rotate and zoom in on it. This is the only screenshot I have of it. Maybe this feature was brought back or hidden.

There was also a short period on Youtube where you could see literally every other person watching the video at the same time you were, and DM them 😳

@Valerio_Lyndon
@ShaggyZE
@Half_Bl00d
@Cateinya
@Lulech23
Aug 25, 2022 12:10 PM

Feb 2015
@Shishio-kun I don't know about Firefox, but Edge does it as well now!

Aug 25, 2022 12:30 PM
CSS Wizard

Jul 2009
@Shishio-kun: Firefox doesn't have that option any more, for a while now, but I do remember opening that many years ago
Aug 25, 2022 12:34 PM

Feb 2010
@Cateinya

What... Edge has a cool feature others don't?

Aug 25, 2022 3:29 PM

Feb 2014
Shishio-kun said:
For a short time in 2012ish, you could create a 3-D view of your CSS in Firefox, rotate and zoom in on it. This is the only screenshot I have of it. Maybe this feature was brought back or hidden.

There was also a short period on Youtube where you could see literally every other person watching the video at the same time you were, and DM them 😳

Wow, has it really been that long ago? I honestly forgot about this feature. It was one of those "because we can" things back when 3D HTML5 was possible for the first time. I haven't ever really felt the need for it in actual development, but it sure was cool at the time.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» ❓ Ask for help here + See Frequently Asked Questions ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Shishio-kun - Apr 15, 2010

7822 by Thereisnoonehere »»
May 27, 4:04 PM

Sticky: » [ BBCODE ] All 2023 BBcodes, Guides, and Templates

Shishio-kun - Feb 16, 2023

41 by ohpishhposh »»
May 25, 5:04 PM

» [CSS - Modern] 🍰 Clarity by V.L ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Valerio_Lyndon - Apr 19, 2018

1207 by laBelphe »»
May 23, 7:30 PM

» [CSS - MODERN] ⭐️ All ways to customize individual anime and individual list rows (mark your favorites!)

Shishio-kun - Sep 4, 2020

12 by takkun_ »»
May 12, 12:00 AM

» [CSS - MODERN] ⚡️ Fully-Customizable Layouts (2023 updates!) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Shishio-kun - Jul 21, 2017

359 by CLModerno »»
May 5, 7:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.