Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 3, 2023 2:27 PM

Aug 2018
Just curious, it's been so long and I remember enjoying watching this anime but why was there such a long delay for a new season if anyone knows

"I want to show that woman the true Yoshikage Kira. I want her to hear how I feel deep inside. That I want to take your slender neck into these hands and strangle you to death."

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 3, 2023 2:43 PM
Oct 2019
At the moment this is the case with a lot of anime, don't ask too many questions lmao
Black Butler, Bleach, Blue Exorcist, Nastume Yuujinchou etc...
Sep 3, 2023 2:51 PM
Jan 2014
Yes, this is a very good question. I quite liked it 12 years ago. It reminded me of my own past at the time. But i am afraid it comes too late, especially considering how the manga unfolds after the end of S2 (i dropped the manga). It is nice and all, and very 'kimi ni todoke', but they never quite get rid of the broom stuck up their a**, and it ended up strucking me as unatural. Which is the opposite of the impression i had while watching the anime. It is merely because they never loosen up, even after 100 chapters. I don't know what they will adapt if they want to make it interesting.
Sep 3, 2023 3:04 PM
Aug 2022
I mean why not? Lots of old shows are getting remakes/continuations.

Don’t question it. Just enjoy it.
Sep 3, 2023 3:19 PM

May 2016
Is sad but Japan is trying to minimize the risk, if you check the news anime most of them are sequels or animes with a pretty famous background.
Sep 3, 2023 3:27 PM

Jul 2015
Anime is getting increasingly mainstrea and popular, so there is a demand.
Maybe NGNL willi get a sequel as well?

Sep 3, 2023 3:55 PM

Jul 2008
Reply to LastLuminescence
Is sad but Japan is trying to minimize the risk, if you check the news anime most of them are sequels or animes with a pretty famous background.
@LastLuminescence

For sure. It's basically the "IP is king" phenomenon we've seen with all these TV requels/reboots and movie franchise re-launches in the past several years.
Sep 3, 2023 4:03 PM
Mar 2020
I’m not on tik tok so I don’t know for sure, but as a long time fan it was weird to see it essentially blow up in the past 2 years out of nowhere. My guess is the demand from international fans to keep it going. It’s fine as long as the books are reprinted. Incomplete sets are going for as much as $2000 USD now which is insane. I couldn’t even afford all the books when I was reading it and mostly borrowed them from libraries.
Sep 3, 2023 5:27 PM

Feb 2021
I'm guessing because kimi ni todoke was added to Netflix somewhat recently and it might've done really well
my candies:
Sep 3, 2023 5:38 PM
Nov 2018
Lonely_Ronin123 said:
Just curious, it's been so long and I remember enjoying watching this anime but why was there such a long delay for a new season if anyone knows

Who knows. I have a lot on my "Plan To Watch" list that they claimed there making a second season for but no reasonable future when they are coming out. Maybe it was just Kimi turn.
Sep 3, 2023 7:25 PM
Jun 2021
@LastLuminescence imo I don't think it's a sad thing. Anime back then rarely got a season 2 since anime was seen more as a marketing thing for the manga. There are animes from back then that never got a season 2 sadly. Now there better studios and anime just in general being a lot more mainstream. At least the the sequels are warranted rather than a new indiana jones or star wars
3inPunisherSep 3, 2023 7:30 PM
Sep 3, 2023 7:36 PM

Jan 2012
It's been so long I really remember next to nothing about this one but...sure...why not?
Sep 3, 2023 8:04 PM
Apr 2021
Well, let's just hope it'll be as good as other recent romance anime adaptations if you know what i mean.
Sep 3, 2023 8:06 PM

Jul 2012
They run out of idea..
Its better for them to "re-cycle / re-use" the hidden gold, than creating a new one from scratch..

Plus remember this..
On Japan older person population are tons, so.. Their preference is to "re-cycle" the old one..

Sep 3, 2023 9:02 PM

Apr 2008
With the case of the first 2 seasons; they would usually create adaptations as a means to market the manga which was still ongoing at the time.

Now that it's completed, and to quote (from Oshi no Ko) "with no hope for further developments or continuation."; It had served its purposed in the sales department of the market back then for manga sales.

Fast forward to today, the show is shown a resurgence thanks to the Netflix Live-Action Drama adaptation and Anime being catalogued, the market is resurging and gaining newer audiences and hence given yet again enough to market a 3rd season.

Sales & Marketing 101. You'll get used to this in any industry.

TDLR: Call it, an ethical marketing cash grab. Best to grab it while it's hot. This is norm for producing anime that has existed for ages.
Sep 3, 2023 10:42 PM
Jan 2020
Maybe the live action adaptation did better than anyone anticipated.
Sep 4, 2023 5:50 AM
May 2016
It's probably because Netflix's live action had a good reception, so they thought "Why not continue/finish the animated version? It will probably give us more money"
Sep 4, 2023 6:06 AM

Sep 2020
Many are saying anime industry is running out of idea lol. That's not true.

We are getting a S3 after so long most probably because Netflix's Kimi ni Todoke live action adaptation and the old anime which they recently added was a huge success.
Sep 4, 2023 6:27 AM
Dec 2021
It's because Netflix think it will make them money. As simple as that.
Every decision is about money.
Don't be a dumb ass troll and use your brain for once lmaoo
AnimeIs4KidzSep 4, 2023 8:11 AM
Sep 4, 2023 6:33 AM
Oct 2021
Well it had a recent live action that was a success, been seeing more shoujo anime in general announced lately
Sep 4, 2023 12:37 PM
Sep 2009
While I'm happy to get another season, I've seen how Hollywood has been ruined by remakes and endless sequels. Hopefully the anime industry doesn't fall into this trap.

That being said, hoping Soul Eater, Claymore, get remakes and NGNL gets a sequel.
Sep 4, 2023 1:29 PM
Aug 2016
Kimi ni todoke was recently added on Netflix. I think they might have partially funded another season cuz it was well received on their platform
Sep 4, 2023 4:24 PM

Oct 2018
I like the precedent it helps set, lots of older titles I would love to see come back after a long hiatus. Aa! Megami-sama!'s manga has been done for years and yet it still hasn't gotten a complete anime adaptation, a situation like this gives me hope for it seeing a full adaptation despite being a dormant IP for quite a while.
Sep 4, 2023 7:01 PM

Jul 2021
First, I feel like that netflix dorama adaptation went pretty well, maybe better than they thought. That could be one reason. The second thing I can think of is how old animes are coming back with new seasons or even new animations, like Spike and Wolf, Kuroshitsuji, Blue exorcist, etc. I think it's nice to be able to see more of those old animes, to be able to have that nostalgia, still new feeling about something we love for a long time.
Sep 4, 2023 9:03 PM
Feb 2017
I think the live action did well on Netflix, and the manga is getting a continuation as well. It's the perfect time to continue the anime to get new fans.
Sep 5, 2023 4:21 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Mushishi took about this long to get a sequel. I ain't asking questions, just celebrating.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Sep 6, 2023 9:53 AM

Sep 2014
I thought this was over already 🤔

« »
đź”® Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Sep 7, 2023 4:52 PM

May 2016
Reply to 3inPunisher
@LastLuminescence imo I don't think it's a sad thing. Anime back then rarely got a season 2 since anime was seen more as a marketing thing for the manga. There are animes from back then that never got a season 2 sadly. Now there better studios and anime just in general being a lot more mainstream. At least the the sequels are warranted rather than a new indiana jones or star wars
@3inPunisher I know but there are a lot of wonderful manga with no background that are not adapted and now we have full seasons of sequels, is quite disappointing.
Sep 7, 2023 4:53 PM

May 2016
Reply to Gar_Logan
@LastLuminescence

For sure. It's basically the "IP is king" phenomenon we've seen with all these TV requels/reboots and movie franchise re-launches in the past several years.
@Gar_Logan But now I worse and honestly I hate it (most with sequels as Yuri on Ice that are in the limbo).
Sep 8, 2023 4:01 AM
Jun 2020
If all old shows are getting new seasons i would wish that sakurasou no pet gets new season if possible.
Sep 8, 2023 2:51 PM
Dec 2013
Netflix lost the rights to a bunch of long-running bingeable shows like The Office or New Girl, and they seem to have trouble making long-running shows of their own since they ax shows too quickly. So I guess making delayed anime sequels gives them the best of both worlds:

1. They get a long show that both has new relevant episodes and a lot of older backlog ones for people to watch/rewatch.

2. Anime isn't as beholden to the "cancel now or renew for next year" release pattern, since it doesn't matter as much if actors age or get contracts working on other shows. So it works in their favor to have series they can simply "uncancel" after 3 years, of 6, or 12.
Sep 10, 2023 12:32 PM
Dec 2019
Legitimately, I have memories of the series feeling quite complete after season 2... I don't WANT a season 3. was surprised to see the notification pop up about a new season. is it really going to be worth watching at all?
Sep 12, 2023 1:00 AM

Jul 2008
Just take it in man

No one asked for a lot of these remakes and new seasons but here we are

I'm old and my favorite anime are getting noticed and I'm happy lol
Sep 22, 2023 8:14 AM

Jun 2008
I don't care how long it's been. I love Kimi ni Todoke and happy to see it getting another season.
Yes I wish it would have been released back when the second season aired but whatever.
Sep 30, 2023 12:47 PM
Jul 2022
Everyone talking about season 3 , meanwhile me who is thinking there is still source material left
Nov 28, 2023 5:40 AM

May 2021
Reply to otaku_4096
Everyone talking about season 3 , meanwhile me who is thinking there is still source material left
@otaku_4096 There is enough for 3 more after s3 tbf
Nov 30, 2023 9:21 AM

Jun 2008
this isn't a bad thing, i would give my left nut for a new hajime no ippo season
Dec 7, 2023 4:06 PM
Apr 2021
I'm only worrying about how season 3 will go, since season 2 ended in the best way it could even though it wasn't the best last few episodes. Regardless, if it can keep the romance paired with the characters personalities right then i wouldn't mind. Hopefully it doesn't ruin the impression i had of this anime all those years go.
Dec 14, 2023 5:24 AM
Jan 2014
@LastLuminescence Well, they apply the recipe first 'Made in USA', right? Hollywood, gaming companies, and so on and so forth. This is the reason why indie development sells so well. They invented nothing. But it is true that it is getting worse and worse and someone was telling me recently that Japanese companies resemble more and more usa ones. So, i guess this trend will continue for as long as people 'consume' their no risk cash grabs. As long as we don't make this policy 'risky' by ignoring them, that will only get worse.
Dec 14, 2023 5:27 AM
Jan 2014
Reply to Tomimi
Just take it in man

No one asked for a lot of these remakes and new seasons but here we are

I'm old and my favorite anime are getting noticed and I'm happy lol
@Tomimi You are old? Well, guess i am older than you. By a fair margin, too. But now, it is true that i don't spend that much time here anymore :)
Dec 14, 2023 5:51 AM
Jan 2014
Reply to IchiroEX
With the case of the first 2 seasons; they would usually create adaptations as a means to market the manga which was still ongoing at the time.

Now that it's completed, and to quote (from Oshi no Ko) "with no hope for further developments or continuation."; It had served its purposed in the sales department of the market back then for manga sales.

Fast forward to today, the show is shown a resurgence thanks to the Netflix Live-Action Drama adaptation and Anime being catalogued, the market is resurging and gaining newer audiences and hence given yet again enough to market a 3rd season.

Sales & Marketing 101. You'll get used to this in any industry.

TDLR: Call it, an ethical marketing cash grab. Best to grab it while it's hot. This is norm for producing anime that has existed for ages.
@IchiroEX I agree and disagree at the same time. While what you say is fundamentally true, the diet is getting more imbalanced, and the trend is only getting worse. Leaning more and more towards the 'no risk copied/pasted cash grab' side and less and less towards 'let's try out this one original idea and see how it fares'. At a time, in order to create successful series, you had to launch several ones and see how they fared. This is obviously what it means to publish something: the obvious risk inherent to publishing. Now, they only develop copycats, or sequels/remakes, because they feel like they can bank without committing to the trial and error process. It is all about more laziness, more greed, less committing. Those who lose most in this system are the customers. Left with no choice but to adapt, and, at long last, learn how to love mediocrity, for they have no alternative anymore. This is true for Hollywood too, which actually set the trend. Their blockbusters fail more and more, and it is perfectly deserved. teir sh*t is incredibly bad and stupid and cost so much still, i ended up feeling ashamed while watching, and gave up altogether a decade ago... The best thing that can happen for anyone who once loved cinema, is for all those corrupt studios (Disney the first) to bankrupt and disappear once and for good. So that something hopefully better can be born from the ashes. The one thing that is surprising is not the utter failures, but the fact they can't seem to understand why they fail. Which, again, is a clear sign that this world has become stupider.

What you say always existed indeed, but while it was something to be considered, now, it is merely about taking every shortcut possible. Explaining things is one thing, but claiming them as the 'norm' is a step away from legitimating them. I dislike this slippery slope, and what needs to be criticized should be, relentlessly, because i am not resolved to simply skim through more mediocrity in the future. And if it IS the norm, as you say, then, the norm needs to change. And consumers are those who have the power to do that. You write as it is was something people had to silently accept, but nothing could be further from the truth in my opinion.
Dec 14, 2023 8:48 AM

May 2016
Reply to Nox---
@LastLuminescence Well, they apply the recipe first 'Made in USA', right? Hollywood, gaming companies, and so on and so forth. This is the reason why indie development sells so well. They invented nothing. But it is true that it is getting worse and worse and someone was telling me recently that Japanese companies resemble more and more usa ones. So, i guess this trend will continue for as long as people 'consume' their no risk cash grabs. As long as we don't make this policy 'risky' by ignoring them, that will only get worse.
@Nox--- Oh yes USA is just now all about sequels and I got a real hate for it for saying it to some franchise lol, kinda sad that Japan is following the same pattern.
Dec 15, 2023 4:57 PM
Jan 2014
@Nox--- Oh yes USA is just now all about sequels and I got a real hate for it for saying it to some franchise lol, kinda sad that Japan is following the same pattern.
@LastLuminescence That is globalization. Ultra liberalism that, according to a british i was chatting with, is the result of Reagan + Tatcher in the 80's deciding that corporate greed was well worth repeating the 1929 crack over and over again, since only normal people suffered from those, not the richest :)

Money money money money money. Welcome to the most popular religion in the world. We are the ones who take the bait and allow this to continue, though. I like to be very selective when i chose something to support. Spread the good word of the anti-crap religion i am starting ;)
Jan 2, 9:57 PM

Dec 2012
I remember nothing lol

Jan 16, 8:42 PM
Sep 2023
sunsetocean said:

It should've been years ago? but I think it's etiher to add some drama to their relationship or develop side character's story maybe.. who knows
Mar 19, 3:32 PM
Jan 2022
It’s even Getting dub after so long
Mar 20, 3:26 AM
Mar 2022
Reply to Harviall
sunsetocean said:

It should've been years ago? but I think it's etiher to add some drama to their relationship or develop side character's story maybe.. who knows
@Forceit
The anime only adapted 10 volumes out of 30 volumes(completed).
Season 2 stop at chapter 46(Volume 10).
They have so many source material to adapt.
They can even adapted the whole manga!
Well I hope they adapted the whole manga like it's been 3 season now,why not adapted the whole manga right?
Mar 21, 10:11 AM
Sep 2023
kisaragi_eki said:
@Forceit
The anime only adapted 10 volumes out of 30 volumes(completed).
Season 2 stop at chapter 46(Volume 10).
They have so many source material to adapt.
They can even adapted the whole manga!
Well I hope they adapted the whole manga like it's been 3 season now,why not adapted the whole manga right?

Didn't know that! Since the story seemed completed on the end of season 2, I didn't know it kept on going. I'm intrigued now, I'll check the manga out now! Thanks for the info, I'm looking forward to season 3 then. Maybe that neflix Live Action thigny gave a new life for that amazing anime, idk if it's any good, tho.
Apr 4, 9:28 PM
Apr 2023
Piromysl said:

top 10 sad moments in anime history fr

NGNL was a hit back when it aired in 2014 i believe so why not a season 2 i wonder
Apr 4, 9:40 PM
Oct 2019
Reply to yukinoyume_0
Piromysl said:

top 10 sad moments in anime history fr

NGNL was a hit back when it aired in 2014 i believe so why not a season 2 i wonder
@yukinoyume_0 because madhouse is infamous for rarely doing sequel (look at how long for the 3 seasons of chiyafuru). Or its coming from superior like in the overlord case being from Kadokawa.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What's so good about Kimi ni Todoke?

AnimeIs4Kidz - Sep 4, 2023

33 by Nox--- »»
May 17, 4:14 PM

» What to expect?

epexu - Apr 27

11 by FreedomKME »»
Apr 28, 12:03 PM

» First trailer and coming this summer

Dbagas8 - Apr 3

15 by imjayhime »»
Apr 7, 6:51 PM

» Kimi ni todoke S3

Chhaya_j27 - Feb 14

3 by Mimi_Jazmin »»
Feb 15, 1:48 PM

» HYPE!!! ( 1 2 3 )

Derpyburger - Sep 3, 2023

105 by falko92 »»
Jan 13, 8:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.