Forum Settings
Forums

Anime is not escapism, modern objectivity is the real escapism!

New
Feb 28, 2019 4:53 AM

Jul 2014
I see alot people calling anime and also fiction in general escapism.
But I find more true is that the very claim that fiction is escapism is escapism from thinking itself!
What is anime for you?
Take your time and really think about it!
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 28, 2019 4:54 AM
Nov 2018
Anime can easily be escapism if that's what you make it out to be. Modern objectivity doesn't exist.
Feb 28, 2019 4:57 AM
May 2015
I didn't really thought about anime in terms of escapism
For me it's something where can i have a good time
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 28, 2019 4:58 AM

Jan 2017
Safeanew said:
But I find more true is that the very claim that fiction is escapism is escapism from thinking itself!

You're going to have to explain that, because that smells like bullcrap.

For one thing, the term 'escapism from thinking' isn't a thing. Like, that's not a concept.
Feb 28, 2019 4:58 AM

Sep 2015
Ravioli Ravioli, Anime is escapism from my depressing lifeoli
Feb 28, 2019 5:03 AM

Jul 2014
LiedElfen said:
Anime can easily be escapism if that's what you make it out to be. Modern objectivity doesn't exist.

My counter claim is there is no escapism in anime, one can't run away from life!
Modern objectivity is the name I made for arguments like yours!
Feb 28, 2019 5:04 AM

Jul 2014
Chapesek said:
I didn't really thought about anime in terms of escapism
For me it's something where can i have a good time

Why do you have a good time with anime?
What is good about anime?
Feb 28, 2019 5:06 AM

Jul 2014
Maurice_5 said:
Safeanew said:

You're going to have to explain that, because that smells like bullcrap.

For one thing, the term 'escapism from thinking' isn't a thing. Like, that's not a concept.

Escapism from thinking is a thing, it is everywhere in what I call modern objectivity, arguments like yours where the point is to end discussion because it hurts to think about it.
Feb 28, 2019 5:07 AM

Jul 2014
TigersAndDragons said:

Your depressing life is escapism from the truth in fiction, anime shows your true desire.
Feb 28, 2019 5:13 AM

Aug 2018
Like in any overly used pathologizing word, most of people don't really know much background behind it and even less know about any empirical findings that would support such a concept.. We "know" that there is a word such as an "escapism", and what it means, but how valid it is - not much really.. We don't really question much, is it really so, or it's just a theory?.. So, in a way using word "escapism" can partially be "escaping" from actual thinking and searching for alternative meanings of what media actually means to people..
Feb 28, 2019 5:16 AM
Jul 2018
First, what is escape? And what is escapism?
Feb 28, 2019 5:20 AM

Jul 2014
Gendolfas said:
Like in any overly used pathologizing word, most of people don't really know much background behind it and even less know about any empirical findings that would support such a concept.. We "know" that there is a word such as an "escapism", and what it means, but how valid it is - not much really.. We don't really question much, is it really so, or it's just a theory?.. So, in a way using word "escapism" can partially be "escaping" from actual thinking and searching for alternative meanings of what media actually means to people..

Yeah I am trying to point out how many comments can hinder discussion by trying to dismiss it with false objectivity, escapism is the most common used word for avoiding having to talk about the deeper implications anime and fiction have on us.
Feb 28, 2019 5:22 AM

Jul 2014
Iyya said:
First, what is escape? And what is escapism?

That is actually a hard question.
Is there any difference between escape and escapism?
Feb 28, 2019 5:22 AM
Feb 2017
Anime can be an escapism, just like anything else not-anime related can be. A book, drawing, singing, all of those are a type of "escape" where those who like such things can feel comfortable in the moment and escape the daily struggles of life.
Feb 28, 2019 5:25 AM

Jul 2014
BlakexEkalb said:
Anime can be an escapism, just like anything else not-anime related can be. A book, drawing, singing, all of those are a type of "escape" where those who like such things can feel comfortable in the moment and escape the daily struggles of life.

What I propose is the opposite, the struggles of everyday life can be an escape from the horrible truth in fiction.
So talking about anime can be the search for truth, the truth we can't accept in daily life.
Feb 28, 2019 5:28 AM

May 2018
But I watch anime mainly because I want to escape from reality...so I was doing it wrong all these years?
Feb 28, 2019 5:33 AM

May 2018
Safeanew said:
the horrible truth in fiction

...is that it's created mainly by hack writers.
alshuFeb 28, 2019 5:48 AM
Feb 28, 2019 5:35 AM
Mar 2018
Escapism is anything that can distract you for a while from the struggles of the real world - your own problems, the problems prevalent in society, the current political climate etc. If it can distract you from those things into a world of it's own it's escapism, and everyone needs it now and then so they don't feel they are turning batshit insane.

I have no idea what OP means by objectivity, it's kind of a broad term and well something objective often means something that is indisputable fact that can be proven by anyone, it could also mean materialism also though, which I would get if that's what is meant, but no anime, movies and novels are more about escapism, unless you collect stuff, then it's materialism all the way
Feb 28, 2019 5:35 AM

Mar 2017
Safeanew said:
I see alot people calling anime and also fiction in general escapism.

Bruv... That's like deep. Pass me dem special brownies.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Feb 28, 2019 5:38 AM

Jul 2014
alshu said:
But I watch anime mainly because I want to escape from reality...so I was doing it wrong all these years?

The only wrong is the fear of being wrong.
I would call it your desire in anime, and would ask you to think about what it is that you desire in anime, and explore the meanings behind it.
Don't be afraid to "escape" deeper into anime, because in a way that is the only way to truly "escape" reality and be able to change it.
Feb 28, 2019 5:40 AM

May 2018
What is with that deep forum here..
I lowkey like it
Feb 28, 2019 5:42 AM

Jul 2014
Viltas said:
The actual activity to watch it instead of fixing your life is the escaping bit about it IMO

"Fixing your life" usually means accept your position in society, don't question society, follow common sense and wisdom.
That sounds like escaping all responsibility to me.
Do you disagree with my reading of your comment?
Feb 28, 2019 5:44 AM

Jul 2014
Captiaanuniverse said:
Escapism is anything that can distract you for a while from the struggles of the real world - your own problems, the problems prevalent in society, the current political climate etc. If it can distract you from those things into a world of it's own it's escapism, and everyone needs it now and then so they don't feel they are turning batshit insane.

I have no idea what OP means by objectivity, it's kind of a broad term and well something objective often means something that is indisputable fact that can be proven by anyone, it could also mean materialism also though, which I would get if that's what is meant, but no anime, movies and novels are more about escapism, unless you collect stuff, then it's materialism all the way

Why should one not go insane in an insane world, anime and fiction helps you find your path to insanity.
The struggles of real life is only real struggles if you dare to face the truth in fiction.
Feb 28, 2019 5:45 AM

Dec 2015
Anime was something I watched the first 6 years while playing WoW or Tibia.
It was a great entertainment while I played games.

But for 4 years ago I got really sick and without anime I don't know what I woud have done. It have been there and putting a smile on my face and make me feel a bit better.

Even if anime can't cure me, it can put a smile on my face and make me feel a bit more happy about my life.

That's what anime is for me.

And I love sitting in my room and reading my manga that I have bough too, it's a great entertainment and makes me feel happy.

And it's have never been something I use to escape my reality, I didn't have time for that as I have worked alot in my life even as a little kid.

But I saw a post just some days ago, where a guy blamed anime for destroying his life.

That's something I can't understand, how can ficition destroy you'r life, it aint forcing you to do anything. It's a entertainment, it dosen't have a life of it's own. It can't force you to do anything, if you give up on you'r reality then blaming anime for you own choice.

The only one to blame is you'r self, lol.

Feb 28, 2019 5:45 AM

May 2013
Well uh.. anime is escapism for me, lol.

Anything that lets me mentally detach from regularly thinking about how to survive the next day and in the future is escapism for me.

I don't think about taxes or deadlines while I am busy playing a video game or watching pretty 2D animated persons interact with each other.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Feb 28, 2019 5:52 AM
Jul 2018
Well, I want to add my question, what is truth and what is idealism? Are they different? Or are they the same?. If they're different, what's the difference between the two? And which one does exist in fiction? Truth or idealism? Or both? or none?
Feb 28, 2019 5:53 AM

Jul 2014
Nillwas said:
Anime was something I watched the first 6 years while playing WoW or Tibia.
It was a great entertainment while I played games.

But for 4 years ago I got really sick and without anime I don't know what I woud have done. It have been there and putting a smile on my face and make me feel a bit better.

Even if anime can't cure me, it can put a smile on my face and make me feel a bit more happy about my life.

That's what anime is for me.

And I love sitting in my room and reading my manga that I have bough too, it's a great entertainment and makes me feel happy.

And it's have never been something I use to escape my reality, I didn't have time for that as I have worked alot in my life even as a little kid.

But I saw a post just some days ago, where a guy blamed anime for destroying his life.

That's something I can't understand, how can ficition destroy you'r life, it aint forcing you to do anything. It's a entertainment, it dosen't have a life of it's own. It can't force you to do anything, if you give up on you'r reality then blaming anime for you own choice.

The only one to blame is you'r self, lol.

Yeah I agree that anime can't cure you, but as I get from your comment anime has the power to change reality, not only as enjoyment but as in changing how oneself functions in everyday life.
What I want to sell is not only enjoyment, but the scary truth found only in fiction that changes oneself completely.
Feb 28, 2019 5:55 AM

May 2018
Safeanew said:

But you induced this fear...

Safeanew said:
think about what it is that you desire in anime, and explore the meanings behind it.

So a lot of patny shots means something more than the obvious desire to see what behind them?

Safeanew said:
Don't be afraid to "escape" deeper into anime, because in a way that is the only way to truly "escape" reality and be able to change it.

Changing reality seems kind of bothersome and expensive...I pass on that.
Feb 28, 2019 5:58 AM

Jul 2014
KreatorX said:
Well uh.. anime is escapism for me, lol.

Anything that lets me mentally detach from regularly thinking about how to survive the next day and in the future is escapism for me.

I don't think about taxes or deadlines while I am busy playing a video game or watching pretty 2D animated persons interact with each other.

Taxes and deadlines are quite abstract things that makes many lose sight of both reality and fiction, what truly matters is taking in not just the small goals in life but the wider array of meanings hidden in every corner of the world.
While true if you miss them you pay the consequences, but what is it you truly desire, to just function in society?
Feb 28, 2019 5:59 AM

Jul 2014
HsiuqsYgnops said:
Anime can be escapism, but it does not need to be. For many it's a hobby. And people don't call other hobbies like sports or something escapism. (I guess there's reasons behind that though.)

For me, anime feels similar to a tradition.

I like your anime as tradition, please talk more about it!
Feb 28, 2019 5:59 AM
Nov 2018
Safeanew said:
LiedElfen said:

My counter claim is there is no escapism in anime, one can't run away from life!

I don't know why you have to attack one for no reason?, did i said something wrong?, i don't think so.

Feb 28, 2019 6:04 AM

Jul 2014
Iyya said:
Well, I want to add my question, what is truth and what is idealism? Are they different? Or are they the same?. If they're different, what's the difference between the two? And which one does exist in fiction? Truth or idealism? Or both? or none?

The truth I am talking about is Hegelian truth.
This truth cannot be told in logical formulations.
It is truth only as fragments.
There is only one truth as in "reality", but that truth can only be experienced as fragments through fiction.
The true materialism is idealistic in the hegelian sense of the word.
Feb 28, 2019 6:10 AM

Jul 2014
alshu said:
Safeanew said:

But you induced this fear...

Safeanew said:
think about what it is that you desire in anime, and explore the meanings behind it.

So a lot of patny shots means something more than the obvious desire to see what behind them?

Safeanew said:

Changing reality seems kind of bothersome and expensive...I pass on that.

I did not induce that fear, you had it to begin with.
Yeah there is nothing special about sexual desire itself, what I find interesting is that you chose anime for some reason and the meaning of your particular interest in anime.
Feb 28, 2019 6:13 AM

Sep 2015
Safeanew said:
TigersAndDragons said:

Your depressing life is escapism from the truth in fiction, anime shows your true desire.

I just want to「ACHIEVE HEAVEN」and「ACHIEVE HAREM」 but I cannot reach it :c
Feb 28, 2019 6:13 AM

Jul 2014
nyohoho said:
anime is a major form of entertainment for me. I'm not good with sitting down and watching television series and movies(for the most part). Other than gaming its literally just anime.

Why do you enjoy anime so much?
I am the same, I find anime the most appealing medium because I find it more free in its expression then many other mediums, something general is pulling me in I feel.
Feb 28, 2019 6:15 AM
May 2016
i get what you're trying to say, but escapism still exists regardless. the escapism, or however you want to refer to it as, doesn't necessarily have to have any deeper meaning to it
Feb 28, 2019 6:16 AM

Jul 2014
LiedElfen said:
Safeanew said:

I don't know why you have to attack one for no reason?, did i said something wrong?, i don't think so.

I did not attack you, I am attacking that kind of argument, because I am trying to wake the desire of discussing and delving deeper into the meanings found in anime that draws people in.
Feb 28, 2019 6:19 AM

Oct 2011
what in the fuck is "modern objectivism"
Feb 28, 2019 6:21 AM

Jul 2014
Viltas said:
Safeanew said:

"Fixing your life" usually means accept your position in society, don't question society, follow common sense and wisdom.
That sounds like escaping all responsibility to me.
Do you disagree with my reading of your comment?

It's a conspiracy by the NHK. I am powerless!

That is a great anime to show my point, why should he adapt to society?
The conspiracy is real, just can't be formulated in a logical way because people don't words to articulate the devastating reality they face.
Modern Psychology have infected the way we talk with many different diagnoses that have some truth to them, but avoid the truth about the society we live in.
Feb 28, 2019 6:25 AM

Jul 2014
TigersAndDragons said:
Safeanew said:

I just want to「ACHIEVE HEAVEN」and「ACHIEVE HAREM」 but I cannot reach it :c

Don't be afraid, go for it!
The only wrong is the fear of being wrong!
But don't avoid thinking about all the implications of that desire!
Don't avoid the angst of thinking!
Feb 28, 2019 6:26 AM

Feb 2018
That probably varies from person to person, and from anime to anime.
For me anime can be escapism, because I like to explore and indulge in fantasies I always had, or discovered through anime.
Feb 28, 2019 6:27 AM

Jul 2014
Shiroanon said:
i get what you're trying to say, but escapism still exists regardless. the escapism, or however you want to refer to it as, doesn't necessarily have to have any deeper meaning to it

Well my point is that it is not enough to face reality, one have to also face fiction.
So the only true escapism is calling anime escapism.
Feb 28, 2019 6:29 AM

Jul 2014
iasuru said:
what in the fuck is "modern objectivism"

Modern objectivism is a blanket term I made for every "objective reason" someone says to discourage discussion.
Anime being escapism is a common one.
Feb 28, 2019 6:29 AM

May 2018
Safeanew said:

So you refuse to take responsibility?

Safeanew said:
Yeah there is nothing special about sexual desire itself

But I feel so unique when I have it.

Safeanew said:
what I find interesting is that you chose anime for some reason and the meaning of your particular interest in anime.

I am pretty sure it was panty shots.
Feb 28, 2019 6:32 AM

Jul 2014
xShinigami3125 said:
That probably varies from person to person, and from anime to anime.
For me anime can be escapism, because I like to explore and indulge in fantasies I always had, or discovered through anime.

No what I claim holds for everyone.
The only escapism is calling it escapism.
Why do you watch anime if you think it is an escape?
An escape from what?
What do you do if you succeed in escaping?
Feb 28, 2019 6:35 AM

Jul 2014
alshu said:
Safeanew said:

So you refuse to take responsibility?

Safeanew said:
Yeah there is nothing special about sexual desire itself

But I feel so unique when I have it.

Safeanew said:
what I find interesting is that you chose anime for some reason and the meaning of your particular interest in anime.

I am pretty sure it was panty shots.

That is a great point, responsibility is something one choses!
Responsibility is not something someone can impose on you.
Responsibility is a respons to something, something one chooses oneself.
Feb 28, 2019 6:36 AM
May 2016
Safeanew said:
Shiroanon said:

Well my point is that it is not enough to face reality, one have to also face fiction.
like i said, i get what you're trying to say and i do agree to an extent. but are you really going to claim there was some deeper meaning to me watching sakura trick? cause i know i definitely didn't learn anything about the world around me from that anime, and i solely watched it for some simple-minded escapsim, nothing deeper than that. this can apply to some anime of course, like welcome to the nhk, which i didn't just watch for the sake of escapism and enjoying myself, but rather to possibly learn more about the world around me, which it succeeded in doing
Feb 28, 2019 6:45 AM

Jul 2014
Shiroanon said:
Safeanew said:

like i said, i get what you're trying to say and i do agree to an extent. but are you really going to claim there was some deeper meaning to me watching sakura trick? cause i know i definitely didn't learn anything about the world around me from that anime, and i solely watched it for some simple-minded escapsim, nothing deeper than that. this can apply to some anime of course, like welcome to the nhk, which i didn't just watch for the sake of escapism and enjoying myself, but rather to possibly learn more about the world around me, which it succeeded in doing

Nice example, I love yuri but hate that series because it avoids everything!
It treats romance like it's the same thing as eating or something just a basic need! But it promotes the creation of more yuri anime that I like.
The meaning of that kind of series is the fact that I hate it!
Other people like it and I would like to question their tastes because I find that they maybe are avoiding really thinking about what it means and the implications it have on life.
For example what if people treat love like in sakura trick like it is just a basic need, what happens then?
Feb 28, 2019 6:48 AM

Jul 2014
Viltas said:
Safeanew said:

That is a great anime to show my point, why should he adapt to society?
The conspiracy is real, just can't be formulated in a logical way because people don't words to articulate the devastating reality they face.
Modern Psychology have infected the way we talk with many different diagnoses that have some truth to them, but avoid the truth about the society we live in.

The conspiracy is an ilusion. A construct built by fear of society. A fear that is partially justified, but it is a construct with the simple goal of giving up. We are to young to give up.

Reallity itself is only experienced as illusion, we are only small fragments of society, no one can see the whole picture.
Just living in society is giving up the idea of changing society.
Feb 28, 2019 6:49 AM

May 2018
Safeanew said:

Responsibility is not something someone can impose on you.
Responsibility is a respons to something, something one chooses oneself.

Thus I choose to send you the bill from my therapist after he deals with my fears of being wrong.
A bit materialistic I know but makes me more optimistic about my psychic condition.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime references

ST63LTH - 41 minutes ago

4 by Zarutaku »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » how "loved" is your #1 fave character of all time ?

ame - 9 hours ago

22 by tchitchouan »»
17 minutes ago

» Do you actually care about Anime "Controversy"?

Dragevard - 9 hours ago

30 by Controversy »»
17 minutes ago

» What is the greatest anime symbolism?

SgtBateMan - 3 hours ago

5 by tchitchouan »»
24 minutes ago

» if gundam is so good why all the low scores

Kimo45 - Yesterday

30 by Guilmon1 »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.