Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 25, 2016 5:54 AM

Oct 2015
I wan't to read it but I don't want to learn Nip-Nop. Its on Baka-Whatever but it hasn't been updated in a while. :(
Add me to talk about touhou OwO

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 9, 2016 5:08 PM

Aug 2013
Sure looks like it, which is quite a shame; since it's an above-average novel, it means it has no selling potential and we won't have an official translation.

Now I hope I am wrong.
"Even now, I travel on my journey,
Believing in the world,
Aiming for something far away – an endless journey.
Having a dream like someone else’s,
Or being in someone else’s dream –
Which would you prefer?"
Mar 17, 2016 5:56 PM

Oct 2015
Is it ok if I hope your wrong too?

Mar 17, 2016 6:15 PM

Aug 2013
Sure, but don't hope too much ^^.
Believing in the world,
Which would you prefer?"
Mar 17, 2016 6:18 PM

Jul 2012
Find the people originally translating and contact them?
Mar 17, 2016 6:49 PM
Jul 2018
there was mango also :0 but it was dropped too

Apr 22, 2016 6:47 AM

Aug 2013
From the translator who launched the projet on Baka-Tsuki in 2014:

Hey, I haven't given up on the project, but other ones have taken priority at the moment. I'm not sure when I'll get to Jintai for now, but it'll probably be some time, because I have quite the backlog. Feel free to restart the project, but know that I will definitely be continuing it later in the future. manlyflower (Talk) 06ː32, 21 March 2016 (JST)

It looks like pretty good news in my opinion.
Believing in the world,
Which would you prefer?"
Apr 22, 2016 11:32 AM

Oct 2015
DerMond said:
From the translator who launched the projet on Baka-Tsuki in 2014:

Hey, I haven't given up on the project, but other ones have taken priority at the moment. I'm not sure when I'll get to Jintai for now, but it'll probably be some time, because I have quite the backlog. Feel free to restart the project, but know that I will definitely be continuing it later in the future. manlyflower (Talk) 06ː32, 21 March 2016 (JST)

It looks like pretty good news in my opinion.

That is a good sign.

Jun 6, 2016 2:17 AM

Apr 2013
I might actually have to learn Japanese if this project doesn't resume translation by 2020. I've been wanting to read Jintai ever since I first saw the show 3 years ago! It's such a shame that some of the better light novels never get translated--officially or by fans. On the other hand, we have stuff like the Kamisu Reina Series, Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria, Gekkou and Ame no Hi no Iris that does actually get translated by fans (and quickly, too).

But it is good to hear that this project isn't dropped. Judging from that comment about the translator's backlog, my arbitrary guess is that sometime around 2018 (or late 2017) Jintai will resume translation at the earliest. That is, of course, assuming that another translator doesn't take the reins.

~An official translation at some point would be nice~
Jun 6, 2016 6:49 AM

Aug 2013
From the editors part, I would say it is not surprising: customers want fantasy-high school-harem LN, and not this, so it is what is given to them.

But it looks like they aren't that many people interested in Jintai even amongst readers, a fact which would explain the lack of fan translation.

So, we get what we deserve ?
Believing in the world,
Which would you prefer?"
Jun 8, 2016 12:23 AM

Apr 2013
DerMond said:
From the editors part, I would say it is not surprising: customers want fantasy-high school-harem LN, and not this, so it is what is given to them.

But it looks like they aren't that many people interested in Jintai even amongst readers, a fact which would explain the lack of fan translation.

So, we get what we deserve ?

Definitely. Jintai might be a series aimed at something of a niche audience, so it's not particularly profitable to market something like it. That said, one marketing strategy would involve occasionally licensing and translating a relatively niche series to get the more mainstream-shy fans on your side (and snuggled up to your brand name) and hopefully ease a few of them into your more mainstream projects--maybe not SAO-level, but something less popular like Mahouka might be a good fit. I don't know, is that one of the tactics they're using? There really aren't a whole lot of officially-translated titles that I like (enough to fork out $20-30 a volume), so I'm not that involved in the Yen Press, Vertical, etc. scene.

Jintai has a pretty modest following, and there hasn't been that much fan outcry for translations, even speaking in terms of fan translations. In the past 3 or so years, a request for a Jintai translation might have been mentioned once or twice on MAL, and a total of 5-ish times on the entire net. Jintai seems to have one of those 'small, but dedicated' fanbases.

...or, and I'm guessing that this is the more likely conclusion, most Jintai fans aren't even aware that there's a light novel, or if they are, they're only interested enough to search up the ending to satisfy their curiosity and move onto the next series.

And then there's stuff like Danshi Koukousei de Urekko Light Novel Sakka wo Shiteiru keredo, Toshishita no Classmate de Seiyuu no Onnanoko ni Kubi wo Shimerareteiru., which could potentially have quite a wide-ish audience, but has very little recognition. In fact, I'm guessing that nobody posting in this thread has even heard of this novel--that's how obscure it is. If you're interested in it, it's written by Keiichi Sigsawa--that's right, the same guy who wrote Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World, Gakuen Kino, Allison, Lillia to Treize and Meg to Seron. And guess what? Despite being more than 100 times more obscure than Jintai, it actually has a translation up to half-way through its second volume. I'm guessing maybe 500 people at best read it.

Bottom line: Jintai Translation: Not until the next decade.
Jun 8, 2016 4:39 AM

Aug 2013
As for official translations of niche series, it doesn't work. From 2006 to 2009, Seven Seas Entertainment published nice translations of the first few volumes of Boogiepop; in 2011, when asked about the next ones, they answered there isn't enough of a fanbase in the States and that unless another anime was made, the license was as good as dead.
Believing in the world,
Which would you prefer?"
Jun 8, 2016 10:33 PM

Apr 2013
DerMond said:
As for official translations of niche series, it doesn't work. From 2006 to 2009, Seven Seas Entertainment published nice translations of the first few volumes of Boogiepop; in 2011, when asked about the next ones, they answered there isn't enough of a fanbase in the States and that unless another anime was made, the license was as good as dead.

I see. Somehow, though, I can see a Jintai release seeing more success. Rather than the strategy itself, it might be because it's Boogiepop. A Kino no Tabi translation is liable to see more success than Boogiepop in my mind, despite both being fairly niche series. But it's a risky business venture to attempt that in the first place unless you have a solid backing, so I can see why that sort of strategy is shunned upon. Some series are doomed from the start not to be officially translated, it seems.

Thanks for mentioning Boogiepop, though, I've been meaning to look into that series for a while. If there's already a few volumes out officially, I think I'll consider purchasing sometime within the next year.
Jun 9, 2016 11:19 AM

Aug 2013
Not sure Jintai would be a more successful release, as I think Boogiepop may be more accessible to the average reader. But publishing companies like Seven Seas or Yen Press don't seem to want to take risks, so I doubt we will see anything remotely niche in the next few years.

As for Kino no Tabi, I doubt there will ever be a second edition after Tokyopop butchered the first one.

Regarding the Boogiepop edition by Seven Seas, do be careful: if I remember well, they translated the first three ones, and then jumped to the sixth.
Believing in the world,
Which would you prefer?"
Jun 10, 2016 4:43 AM

Apr 2013
DerMond said:
Not sure Jintai would be a more successful release, as I think Boogiepop may be more accessible to the average reader. But publishing companies like Seven Seas or Yen Press don't seem to want to take risks, so I doubt we will see anything remotely niche in the next few years.

As for Kino no Tabi, I doubt there will ever be a second edition after Tokyopop butchered the first one.

I guess it can be mostly attributed to the light novel industry in the west simply not being as large or active as its sister anime and manga communities. You don't want to spread yourself too thin in those cases when you don't have such a large audience to market to to begin with. I certainly don't blame publishing companies for minimizing risks in that case.

Hopefully, the light novel industry in the west does take off at some point, which will open up more doors and make it less risky to market it to more niche audiences. From what I've seen with recent light novel trends, they're starting to get more popular.

What was it exactly that Tokyopop screwed up so badly in their translation? Was it only the reordering of the chapters, or was there something more? I own the Tokyopop edition, in fact. I will agree that the order the chapters were meant to be presented in made for a better, more engaging narrative structure.

Regarding the Boogiepop edition by Seven Seas, do be careful: if I remember well, they translated the first three ones, and then jumped to the sixth.

Thanks for the heads up! I don't plan on jumping into the novels until I finally get around to finishing the anime (which, if I remember correctly, was actually an adaptation of the second or third novel?).
Jun 10, 2016 4:53 AM

Aug 2013
The Boogiepop anime is in fact an original anime that takes place after the first novel.

As for Kino, I've got a .pdf that summarises the changes for the first novel between the original edition and the Tokyopop one. Not only did they change the chapters order, they removed some sentences, added others, and made disappear entire passages.

Still, an editor I can say took some risks (but not too much too) is Vertical Inc with the Monogatari series: I don't think they are easy to translate, and I am curious about what they will do for Bakemonogatari.
Believing in the world,
Which would you prefer?"
Jun 10, 2016 5:18 AM

Apr 2013
Ahh, I don't really have to worry about spoiling myself over the light novels all that much with it, then. Good to know!

As for Kino, I've got a .pdf that summarises the changes for the first novel between the original edition and the Tokyopop one. Not only did they change the chapters order, they removed some sentences, added others, and made disappear entire passages.

That's...no wonder Tokyopop got their translating license revoked! Removing sentences, adding sentences and eradicating entire passages? Sounds like something 4Kids would do! Though, it was still a fairly enjoyable read regardless, so it's not quite 4Kids-level.

Still, an editor I can say took some risks (but not too much too) is Vertical Inc with the Monogatari series: I don't think they are easy to translate, and I am curious about what they will do for Bakemonogatari.

I've got quite a few Vertical-translated titles on my shelf (mostly manga), like Aku no Hana, 5 Centimeters Per Second and, of course, Kizumonogatari. I'm a fan of them because they generally translate stuff I like more than any other company. I really enjoyed Kizumonogatari, and while I'm not too big a fan of the Monogatari adaptations, I'm a fan of NisiOisiN -- I will be picking up Bakemonogatari; I'm curious to see how it differs from the adaptation. If it's any publishing company I'm nestled up to, it's Vertical. The Monogatari series certainly seems to be difficult to translate.
Jun 22, 2016 5:56 PM

May 2008
Man, I really wish my Japanese was up to snuff. Otherwise, I wouldn't have minded taking on the project. Too bad my kanji and vocabulary are so bad I need to check the dictionary every two seconds.

It's really too bad. I watched Jintai years ago and loved it to bits. After it was over, that was it. We had nothing left.

north1085 said:

That's...no wonder Tokyopop got their translating license revoked! Removing sentences, adding sentences and eradicating entire passages? Sounds like something 4Kids would do! Though, it was still a fairly enjoyable read regardless, so it's not quite 4Kids-level.

I'm glad their license was revoked, but also upset since there's such a small chance of seeing it officially translated these days. I'd rather Yen or Vertical pick Kino up than Accel World or Asterisk War. But then again, Yen picked up Kieli and Bungaku Shoujo for some reason. Neither of those were particularly popular.
Jun 22, 2016 7:21 PM

Apr 2013
NanoZero said:
Man, I really wish my Japanese was up to snuff. Otherwise, I wouldn't have minded taking on the project. Too bad my kanji and vocabulary are so bad I need to check the dictionary every two seconds.

It's really too bad. I watched Jintai years ago and loved it to bits. After it was over, that was it. We had nothing left.

I, myself, am still struggling to wrap my head around basic Japanese grammar. It's really messing with my head (the most important stuff comes at the end of sentences, the verb comes last, etc.). I've still got a long path to forge through. I recently bought Bokura wa doko ni mo hirakanai (僕らはどこにも開かない), but I have no idea when I'm going to be able to read it. Probably not anytime soon, but this title comes before Jintai for me.

From what I've seen there, is a reddit forum where someone gave out details for how Jintai ended, though I haven't read it myself (because I want to someday read Jintai in full). There's no other way to put it: it's such a shame; I've never seen anything like Jintai since, either.

I'm glad their license was revoked, but also upset since there's such a small chance of seeing it officially translated these days. I'd rather Yen or Vertical pick Kino up than Accel World or Asterisk War. But then again, Yen picked up Kieli and Bungaku Shoujo for some reason. Neither of those were particularly popular.

Oh, they were the ones that picked up Kieli? That's been on my to-buy list for a while. Bungaku Shoujo did get an anime adaptation into a movie, and perhaps one of the fellows at Vertical or Yen Press liked it and used that as a reason to start a translation project on it. That said, I'm unsure of when they started translating it relative to the movie release. When all is said and done, though, I'd still love to see a Kino no Tabi official translation someday.
Jun 23, 2016 9:04 AM

May 2008
north1085 said:
I, myself, am still struggling to wrap my head around basic Japanese grammar. It's really messing with my head (the most important stuff comes at the end of sentences, the verb comes last, etc.). I've still got a long path to forge through. I recently bought Bokura wa doko ni mo hirakanai (僕らはどこにも開かない), but I have no idea when I'm going to be able to read it. Probably not anytime soon, but this title comes before Jintai for me.

Genki is a really great textbook for grammar. It helps you get adjusted to the sentence structure and gives you a ton of exercises to do on your own to really get it to sink in. It does take some time, though.

From what I've seen there, is a reddit forum where someone gave out details for how Jintai ended, though I haven't read it myself (because I want to someday read Jintai in full). There's no other way to put it: it's such a shame; I've never seen anything like Jintai since, either.

Same here. I enjoyed Jintai so much because it was so different from anything I've ever watched. I accidentally got spoiled on the ending, but this makes me want to read it all the more.

Oh, they were the ones that picked up Kieli? That's been on my to-buy list for a while. Bungaku Shoujo did get an anime adaptation into a movie, and perhaps one of the fellows at Vertical or Yen Press liked it and used that as a reason to start a translation project on it. That said, I'm unsure of when they started translating it relative to the movie release. When all is said and done, though, I'd still love to see a Kino no Tabi official translation someday.

Yep, they sure did! It was one of their first LN releases, and the first they finished. I have to start reading that one too. It seems like one of those really good but really obscure series.

As for Bungaku Shoujo, I do remember them picking it up when the movie got announced. I wish I knew how well it did in terms of sales. Not a lot of people were talking about it when the movie and the OVAs came out.

I would also love to see Kino licensed again. I have a feeling I'll have sufficient skills in Japanese to read Kino by the time they actually do decide to translate it again, if they do.
Jun 28, 2016 5:00 AM

Jan 2015
Sooooo......it's dead.
Jul 7, 2016 3:37 PM

Apr 2014
I need to read the novel.

:(
Jul 28, 2016 6:59 AM

Jan 2015
Rikki said:
I need to read the novel.

:(

Yeah especially after reading the spoiler of what happens at the end! Damn!
Jul 28, 2016 7:01 AM

Aug 2013
No spoilers here please ^^.

And apparently, quite a few people are interested by the project on Baka-Tsuki, so I have hope it will kick off somewhere down the road.
Believing in the world,
Which would you prefer?"
Aug 17, 2016 2:51 AM

Dec 2015
DerMond said:
No spoilers here please ^^.

And apparently, quite a few people are interested by the project on Baka-Tsuki, so I have hope it will kick off somewhere down the road.

Damn, I must read the LN's. This is when I hate that I can't read or speak Japanese :'(. I must learn it if not only for this purpose only lol.
Sep 4, 2016 6:42 AM

Aug 2013
Wow, there's apparently a new instalment for this series coming out this month.
Believing in the world,
Which would you prefer?"
Dec 15, 2016 1:05 PM

Dec 2015
It'd be great if that inspired someone to pick it up again!
Apr 17, 2017 10:08 PM

Apr 2013
DerMond said:

Well, Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria did get picked up, and I believe that the audience was considerably niche (didn't do so well in Japan, I recall), so perhaps there's hope for Jintai (and by extension, Kino, which just got a new anime announced, making it liable to rekindle interest in the light novels) to get an official translation.

Oh, and there's also been no further progress in the fan-translation department, unfortunately.

NanoZero said:
north1085 said:
I, myself, am still struggling to wrap my head around basic Japanese grammar. It's really messing with my head (the most important stuff comes at the end of sentences, the verb comes last, etc.). I've still got a long path to forge through.

Genki is a really great textbook for grammar. It helps you get adjusted to the sentence structure and gives you a ton of exercises to do on your own to really get it to sink in. It does take some time, though.

Same here. I enjoyed Jintai so much because it was so different from anything I've ever watched. I accidentally got spoiled on the ending, but this makes me want to read it all the more.
I have a feeling I'll have sufficient skills in Japanese to read Kino by the time they actually do decide to translate it again, if they do.

Hey. Maybe this is a tad too tangential to the forum topic, but what the hell.

How have your Japanese skills been progressing? I gave Genki a shot and I personally didn't care for it. An Introduction to Modern Japanese is the textbook that ended up working for me, though in the end, I went with Tae Kim's grammar guide as an easy introduction to new grammar points + Imabi for further practice and the finer details. I've made a lot of progress...in the past two months, because that's when I really started learning Japanese. I can read N5 and probably a good deal of N4-level sentences, primarily lacking in vocabulary at the moment.

So, it's been good for me. Oh yeah, I bought this for $1 and I can read it. I don't recommend buying it even for beginner practice, in all honestly, though.

I'm hoping to be around N3-level, possibly N2-level by the end of this year, but we'll see how my final year of school treats me...
May 6, 2017 8:15 PM

Jun 2016
It seems like the project is still dead. :(

I guess I'll have to learn japanese too if I want to read this.
°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Jan 24, 2018 4:12 AM

Aug 2013
Sam Pinansky, founder of J-Novel Club, had previously said that he wanted to translate JinTai, but it's good to hear him reaffirm that yesterday:

https://curiouscat.me/jnovelclub/post/295953778?1516692336

I'd wager that's our best bet for now; if the series does indeed come one day to J-Novel Club, I'll get myself a subscription immediately ^^.

Believing in the world,
Which would you prefer?"
Sep 9, 2018 4:26 AM

Aug 2013
This actually explains a lot, but it's disappointing coming from Japanese publishers.
Believing in the world,
Which would you prefer?"
Jan 28, 2019 9:20 AM

Aug 2013

Well, there go my hopes of seeing JNC bringing some older series I'd like to check, including JinTai (KamiNai for exemple).
Believing in the world,
Which would you prefer?"
May 29, 2019 11:30 AM
Sep 2014
I heard that is not popular enough for a translation and thre isnt a lot of readers... plus the translation of this particular novel is pretty hard due to the type of writting of the author.
Dec 28, 2019 4:08 PM

Aug 2013
Found this, dating back from last June:

So Gagaga Bunko (in which JinTai was published) now allows in some measure digital publication. Not sure if it means they would allow the publishing of this series, but I'm wondering about the phrasing of the answer: does Sam just mean he's not trying to get any license from this publisher ?
Believing in the world,
Which would you prefer?"
Apr 19, 2020 3:38 AM

Nov 2011
I've been following the baka-tsuki translator (manlyflower) and a few other resources for a few years now. If you go manlyflower's website, Jintai was down on his roadmap, but he hasn't made any updates on any project for soon to be two years now.
Here is the website in question: https://manlyflower.com/2018/08/04/future-project-road-map/
I have followed and tried to get in touch with a few publishers a few months back to see if there was any hopes of it being put in any sort of "watch list", but as expected, things didn't look too good.

As it has been discussed extensively here, this is quite the niche series despite the dedicated following. I hope that I am wrong on this, but I think that the best hopes would be to go on about learning Japanese. At least then you would also get to experience Romeo's prose.
I've got the Gagaga Bunko myself and have been studying for a few months, so only a couple more years to go. For now, they will keep on acting as a nice form of motivation, if anything.
May 27, 2020 8:09 AM

Sep 2011
How disappointing. I really loved the anime and I really wanted an english translation to this. I agree with you @Cerulis , I think this series is the best motivator to learn Japanese!!!
I want to sleep...
Nov 13, 2020 7:34 AM

Dec 2017
It's quite unfortunate that there is no fan interest in getting this one out in English, would make a good addition, really.
Nov 13, 2020 2:59 PM

Sep 2011
Cr4zko said:
It's quite unfortunate that there is no fan interest in getting this one out in English, would make a good addition, really.

I agree. I'm learning Japanese just so I can read this light novel series, and maybe I could contribute to a fan translation in the future, who knows!
I want to sleep...
Feb 24, 2021 9:05 AM

Jun 2019
I've been scrolling through the internet for hours searching for some clues, and eventually coming to this. It looks like I'll have to learn Japanese, I'm really interested in this and I would love to read more.
Feb 24, 2021 12:08 PM

Sep 2011
jendestroy said:
I've been scrolling through the internet for hours searching for some clues, and eventually coming to this. It looks like I'll have to learn Japanese, I'm really interested in this and I would love to read more.

You can also help by asking for a translation in J-Novel Club's forum.

But other than that, yes, learning Japanese is our best method!
I want to sleep...
Feb 24, 2021 12:37 PM

Jun 2019
Cleome said:
jendestroy said:

I actually already did that :D
Mar 11, 2021 5:22 AM

Dec 2017
jendestroy said:
Cleome said:

I actually already did that :D

I wouldn't hold my breath for J-Novel picking it up, but they do have some nice stuff in their catalog such as Last and First Idol.
Jun 29, 2021 6:29 AM
Jul 2018
this is never gonna get translated fr
Jun 29, 2021 12:09 PM

Aug 2013
Well, someone picked it up on BT, but there haven't been any updates since last year.

So yeah...
Believing in the world,
Which would you prefer?"
Jul 14, 2021 7:01 AM
Mar 2016
I gave up on full metal daemon muramasa already and now this one too
Jul 26, 2021 10:56 PM

Jan 2011
9 yrs later and my dream of reading more of Jintai is still dead. Such a shame, I love the series so much. Its the only anime from my very long list that I ever bothered to rewatch.
Nov 1, 2021 5:11 AM

Sep 2020
Humanity has declined indeed :(
Nov 2, 2021 2:13 PM

Sep 2011
I wouldn't mind having to pay for translations. But it's hard to find someone to even do it.
I want to sleep...
Mar 15, 2022 6:24 PM
Jul 2018
This makes me so sad at first, but I can overcome it with learning the best sounding language in the world, Japanese! Now I sound like an anime protagonist, Urra!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» PLEASE! I need spoilers.

MengHao - Jun 27, 2022

0 by MengHao »»
Jun 27, 2022 1:56 AM

» Light novel translation?

nhc9 - Oct 31, 2020

10 by nhc9 »»
Jan 16, 2021 4:42 PM

Poll: » Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita Volume 1 Discussion

-Karoshi- - Aug 31, 2014

0 by -Karoshi- »»
Aug 31, 2014 8:22 PM

» So, what are the possiblities of this LN getting an english translation?

OVanBruce - Jul 17, 2012

4 by CeruleanSky »»
Sep 17, 2012 2:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.