Forum Settings
Forums

What are some hidden gems that you have found?

New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Oct 28, 2019 9:44 PM
Bouncy

Feb 2018
AlexPaulLEWZ said:
RemsThigh said:
Eve no Jikan
Denpa-teki na Kanojo

Both left me craving more

What I am curious is the sauce of your signature. What is it? :D

spinning girl is from Hinamatsuri lol. Awesome and retarded comedy series

Not a fan of the phrase 'Guilty Pleasure'.
Own what you like.
Let others judge.
Once you let others manipulate your taste then are you really 'enjoying' what you want to enjoy?

Oct 28, 2019 10:13 PM
Review Moderator
Life is strange.

Jun 2017
RemsThigh said:
AlexPaulLEWZ said:

What I am curious is the sauce of your signature. What is it? :D

spinning girl is from Hinamatsuri lol. Awesome and retarded comedy series
That one should be interesting. Thank you very much.
Oct 28, 2019 10:17 PM

Sep 2015
Just off the top of my head:
Kino no Tabi
Haibane Renmei
Shinsekai Yori
Houseki no Kuni
Nagi no Asukara
Tokyo Grandfathers
Michiko to Hatchin
Oct 28, 2019 10:23 PM
Review Moderator
Life is strange.

Jun 2017
Thunderbird227 said:
Just off the top of my head:
Kino no Tabi
Haibane Renmei
Shinsekai Yori
Houseki no Kuni
Nagi no Asukara
Tokyo Grandfathers
Michiko to Hatchin

Nagi no Asukara is one of the best there is. ATATAKAI MIZU NI
Oct 29, 2019 1:00 AM

Apr 2019
Flag. A political action thriller about a photo journalist embedded with a secret UN commando operating in a war-torn Asian country. Political intrigue, civil war, terrorism. Even the mecha battles are credible, because those weapons are supposed to be brand new, experimental and top-secret still. They actually overheat and run out of ammo occasionally, so yea, not Gurren Lagann. The cinematography is special in that it imitates a found-footage style with the difference it isn't found footage, but supposed to be raw material from the journalist, HUD displays of military systems, TV footage etc. There isn't one shot without some technical overlay on it. Many reviewers call this gimmicky and obsess over it. Point is, though, that I soon stopped caring about that effect, because the actual plot is good enough. For me, that directorial decision ended up pretty neutral. All in all, a 7/10 from me. And this is the single most underwatched anime I found so far, with only 3/64 friends having watched it. It deserves better.

Oct 29, 2019 1:17 AM
Review Moderator
Life is strange.

Jun 2017
inim said:
Flag. A political action thriller about a photo journalist embedded with a secret UN commando operating in a war-torn Asian country. Political intrigue, civil war, terrorism. Even the mecha battles are credible, because those weapons are supposed to be brand new, experimental and top-secret still. They actually overheat and run out of ammo occasionally, so yea, not Gurren Lagann. The cinematography is special in that it imitates a found-footage style with the difference it isn't found footage, but supposed to be raw material from the journalist, HUD displays of military systems, TV footage etc. There isn't one shot without some technical overlay on it. Many reviewers call this gimmicky and obsess over it. Point is, though, that I soon stopped caring about that effect, because the actual plot is good enough. For me, that directorial decision ended up pretty neutral. All in all, a 7/10 from me. And this is the single most underwatched anime I found so far, with only 3/64 friends having watched it. It deserves better.

The synopsis is very interesting. I should go watch it when I have the time.
Oct 29, 2019 4:24 AM
May 2019
alshu said:
PugoPH said:
Salaryman Kintarou a very heartwarming anime that everyone could watch. Nobody's talking about it but I think it deserves some fame.

Every time when I need to give an example how absurdly stupid and insane a seinen could be, I use Salaryman Kintarou.
One of the very few animes I gave 2/10.

Or maybe you take it as "So Bad It's Good"?

I do love this anime for some reason. It moved my feelings during some of its scene. I really mean it when I finished watching it and spew that it was a good anime. Not every seinen required to be violent and bloody and this anime proved that.
Oct 29, 2019 4:52 AM

May 2018
PugoPH said:

I do love this anime for some reason. It moved my feelings during some of its scene. I really mean it when I finished watching it and spew that it was a good anime.

Wow!
I met a non-ironic fan of Salaryman Kintarou!

PugoPH said:
Not every seinen required to be violent and bloody

Yes, for example Saint Onii-san, Moyashimon, ACCA 13-ku Kansatsu-ka, Planetes or whatever but not my point here.
For me every seinen (and josei) is supposed to work at least on internal logic. No shortcuts like those allowed for kodomo and shounen (and shoujo).
Not to mention how in addition to its bad writing, Salaryman Kintaro also looks horribly and the VAs sound like they are forced to work on it.

PugoPH said:
and this anime proved that

It only proves that if a show is being targeted to mature demography that doesn't grantee any quality.
alshuOct 29, 2019 5:29 AM
Oct 29, 2019 4:59 AM

Sep 2013
recently, joshikousei no mundazukai
Oct 12, 2022 5:19 PM
Dec 2017
Easily Kaori Yuki's works and the early works of Ai Yazawa.

Feb 13, 2023 4:57 PM
Dec 2017
Hell Girl easily that as well too imo.

Feb 13, 2023 5:01 PM
Dec 2017
AlexPaulLEWZ said:
Fario-P said:
yo, hello Alex, never thought I'd see you here. dunno if you recognize me ;)

I know I won't shut up about this anime in the Anime & Manga Recommendations forum, but oh my god...
I cannot stop thinking about Uta Kata.
That show and Princess Tutu (which isn't really a hidden gem, but...) are probably some new favorites for me, I think. Would definitely like to see Uta Kata get remade/rebooted someday, cuz I do believe improvements could be made on a few things.

I think it's pretty safe to call The Demon Girl Next Door the hidden gem of last season. It was pretty good and it's a bit sad that not many people watched this as it was airing.

Bottle Fairy is a childhood favorite, but I still like watching it every now and then. It's not rated all too highly on this site, though.

Hey Fario. I'm going to tell you a little secret. The reason I asked this in this forum is to...
As of this writing, you still have yet to see princess tutu or bottle fairy but i have and all you're seeing is nothing but total dogshit neetaku isekai and a godforsaken adaptation from an equally godforsaken genre of gaming called gacha and mobile shit.

Feb 13, 2023 5:02 PM
Dec 2017
AlexPaulLEWZ said:
Fario-P said:

nice
now that's the ultimate plan

f r i c k i n c h a r a c t e r l i m i t r e e e e e e ! ! !
The most evil-est plan ever. BWAHAHAHAHHA

Feb 13, 2023 5:08 PM
Dec 2017
AlexPaulLEWZ said:
terminador_2397 said:
Some that come to mind include:

Blood+
Phantom: Requiem for Phantom
Kyousou Giga
Binbougami Ga!
Granbelm
Area 88(it's old but a very good short series)
Back Street Girls Gokudolls(the comedy makes up for the lack of animation)
Casshern Sins
Kobato
Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai
Planetarian
Grancrest Senki

Ah yes. Blood+ is certainly better than Blood-C.

NAGAI TSUZUKERU OMOI!
I told you so, Blood+ is the best you'll ever get from the franchise we'll never get an adaptation of the novel at all properly. :/

Mar 2, 2023 7:15 PM
Dec 2017
You see, devil children is what kids should have grown up with instead of pokemon as you see, pokemon today is a cock carousel for shills from nitnendo and devil children actually has a plot that doesn't go never ending unlike pokemon lol.

Mar 2, 2023 7:21 PM
Dec 2017
AlexPaulLEWZ said:
Just_A_ManBOi said:
sapphire, rubby, emerald, and rock
I think a diamond is rarer. Also emerald best gem. HAHAHAHAHAAHAHHA
bixbite is the rarest gem actualyl from what i looked up.

Mar 2, 2023 7:28 PM
Dec 2017
AlexPaulLEWZ said:
incisorr said:
https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=275530

best anime on the interwebs owo

do recommend

Nyahahaha. I think I have found one what I was looking for. Thanks.
play the original visual novel as that anime ain't it chief.

Mar 2, 2023 7:31 PM
Dec 2017
AlexPaulLEWZ said:
alshu said:

And Blood The Last Vampire OVA is better then both.

I haven't watched that OVA yet
I might as well do sometime.
How about you read the original book isntead because the ova sux big time.

Apr 15, 2023 7:29 PM
Dec 2017
AlexPaulLEWZ said:
Tachik0ma said:
I must have lived under a rock - I just started watching Magi The Labyrinth of Magic on Netflix and I was wondering why in God's name have I never seen this before. It seems to be popular but for some reason it totally escaped my attention. It's a hidden gem (kind of) for me, and damn is it good. Disney's got nothing on this Aladdin.

I hope they had finished adapting the manga, not leaving a cliffhanger at season 2.

T-T
Dude we both know how much fucking dogshit cancer trash fucking brainless insects disney is so don't even fucking bother have any hope at all for them.

Apr 15, 2023 7:37 PM
Dec 2017
AlexPaulLEWZ said:
Saga22 said:
Flip Flappers, Asobi Asobase, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita, Machikado Mazoku.

Flip Flappers makes me want to sing along to SERENDIPITY
Well i just finished that show recently and it was meh and serendipity was also meh too this is however is better.

Apr 15, 2023 7:38 PM
Dec 2017
AlexPaulLEWZ said:
Fario-P said:

nice
now that's the ultimate plan

f r i c k i n c h a r a c t e r l i m i t r e e e e e e ! ! !
The most evil-est plan ever. BWAHAHAHAHHA
Mal rewrite when you think about it now, it is fucking evil af given how its pretty much a wokie circlejerk honestly.

Apr 15, 2023 7:39 PM
Dec 2017
AlexPaulLEWZ said:
terminador_2397 said:
Some that come to mind include:

Blood+
Phantom: Requiem for Phantom
Kyousou Giga
Binbougami Ga!
Granbelm
Area 88(it's old but a very good short series)
Back Street Girls Gokudolls(the comedy makes up for the lack of animation)
Casshern Sins
Kobato
Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai
Planetarian
Grancrest Senki

Ah yes. Blood+ is certainly better than Blood-C.

NAGAI TSUZUKERU OMOI!
So you going to read those blood books yet or what? and also read parasite eve while you're at as you see, j-horror is better than western horror especially when shit like they/them exists.

Apr 15, 2023 7:41 PM
Dec 2017
AlexPaulLEWZ said:
Keerthan_Alva said:
Hidden gems I've found are
kyoukai no Kanata
really underrated and very smart writing

outbreak company
the rating for this in MAL is just unfair

spice and wolf
suprisingly no anime fan I've met ever heard of this

Grand blue
funniest anime I've ever seen

Asobi asobase
ONE of the funniest anime I've ever seen

Boku rawa Minna
really good romance anime

these are my picks of the top of my head
hope u enjoy them!!!

From the sight of Outbreak Company makes me want to go

DAN DAN MEBAETAAAAAAAAA
Just looked it up and nope that shit ain't for me chief hell girl is lot more fun then whatever the fuck that plot is.

Apr 15, 2023 7:44 PM
Dec 2017
AlexPaulLEWZ said:
Just_A_ManBOi said:
sapphire, rubby, emerald, and rock
I think a diamond is rarer. Also emerald best gem. HAHAHAHAHAAHAHHA
Liking gems for shit like jewlerly is a woman moment right there and women is when you buy lots of fancy rocks that are really counterfeit just to seek validation over how much of a hoe you really are.

Apr 15, 2023 7:58 PM
Dec 2017
AlexPaulLEWZ said:
ComboSmooth said:
I quite enjoyed 009-1, an anime i've never seen anyone talk about. It has a fun art style, and solid episodic story telling.

there is also Gungrave - a show that is way more story driven than the title would have you believe.

no one talks about Baccano! and its probably my favorite anime so that makes me a little sad.

Baccano!, in my opinion is quite popular when it was released.
And it still is because fujo white girls go goo goo ga ga over op bartenders and
and that said the nartiverse will forever be having quite a popular cult following because of fujos who fetisheze and have predatory fantasies over bartenders simply existing.

Apr 15, 2023 8:00 PM
Dec 2017
AlexPaulLEWZ said:
Fario-P said:
yo, hello Alex, never thought I'd see you here. dunno if you recognize me ;)

I know I won't shut up about this anime in the Anime & Manga Recommendations forum, but oh my god...
I cannot stop thinking about Uta Kata.
That show and Princess Tutu (which isn't really a hidden gem, but...) are probably some new favorites for me, I think. Would definitely like to see Uta Kata get remade/rebooted someday, cuz I do believe improvements could be made on a few things.

I think it's pretty safe to call The Demon Girl Next Door the hidden gem of last season. It was pretty good and it's a bit sad that not many people watched this as it was airing.

Bottle Fairy is a childhood favorite, but I still like watching it every now and then. It's not rated all too highly on this site, though.

Hey Fario. I'm going to tell you a little secret. The reason I asked this in this forum is to...
So you going to also watch bottle fairy yet or what? as you see, all that manwha and manhua on your list is all going to be somethign you'll hate one for the annoying af k-pop stans and the other cause of coomies too.

Apr 15, 2023 8:21 PM

Jul 2015
The title is huge (that's what she said) The Hero King, Reincarnate to Master the Art of War ~And Thus, I Became The Strongest Knight Disciple (♀) in The World / Eiyuuou, Bu wo Kiwameru Tame Tenseisu: Soshite, Sekai Saikyou no Minarai Kishi♀.

Inglis an Op female character that is a reincarnated chad former king. Although the anime adaptation wasn't perfect (quality wise) It still was one of the most entertaining shows this year. The light novel is seriously more detailed and I wish it had a better studio to do it.

This is one of the shows that was unlucky with low production value and not backed by a passionate team nor a fully talented roster behind it. The anime feels more like an ad for the light novel tbh but still enjoyed every corner of it.

The light novel is surprisingly so much better! (well at this point most light novel adaptations skip so much important shit often so yeah. Sadge!)
Apr 15, 2023 8:46 PM

May 2007
I am going to call hidden as not in the top 1000 of popularity on MAL, so here are some 10s I have given out not in that range

Aria: Serene anime about gondola drivers on Mars, it sounds insane, and when you think about it, it is, but it is THE healing anime in my opinion.

Time of Eve: Anime used to be really interested in the difference between man and robot and this is probably my favorite looking into the topic.

Genshiken: One of the first otaku anime, fantastic cast that I grew to love, maybe not that indicative of today's fandom, but a nice snapshot of mid 00s

Princess Tutu: Actually, I am shocked this one isn't higher, I feel like everyone who has seen this show loves it. Ignore the name, it is a kickass show about fighting back against destiny.

Vandread: Another anime I am surprised is not ranked higher in popularity. Battle of the sexes with mecha. Imagine if Aquarion lived up to its potential. 

Metropolis: My favorite anime film. Sad anime about the last days of a Metropolis. Not related to the 1927 film, but certainly inspired by it. Based on a manga by Osamu Tezuka, yes, that Osamu Tezuka.

Blue Seed: My favorite anime. It would probably not be well received if it came out today, but it is part of the reason I am even an anime fan. It is good, I swear.
My anime list
Apr 15, 2023 9:18 PM
Jul 2021
Dont know if these count as underrated but i think both A place further than universe and The pet girl of sakurasou are 10/10
Apr 15, 2023 9:19 PM
Jul 2021
Dont know if these count as underrated but i think both A place further than universe and The pet girl of sakurasou are 10/10
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» How do people finish anime they consider bad?

Rinrinka - 3 hours ago

21 by perseii »»
3 minutes ago

» does anyone find it childish and cringe whenever attacks are yelled or named in shonen anime/manga?

Phantomnocomics - 3 hours ago

8 by velvetnyan »»
42 minutes ago

» Any arcs like greed island?

sasukerr14 - 3 hours ago

3 by MichaelJackson »»
52 minutes ago

» Why aren't there more political / historical anime?

mahrjose - Yesterday

23 by Serafos »»
1 hour ago

» Gainax just filed for bankruptcy

HidamariSou - Yesterday

16 by ColourWheel »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.