Forum Settings
Forums

Why do members of the Gintama community over inflate Gintama's MAL scores?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 16, 2018 12:47 AM

Jun 2016
JizzyHitler said:
Valeofruin said:

There is no actual "ending" in Gintama.. Like none of the characters actually have a specific goal in mind initially.

But....it does though, its an episodic series mostly but there is an overarching plot connecting alot of arcs throughout the series eventually concluding in a finale thats only plot for 3 straight years of the manga's run

Its like.. Sort of a plot..? I'd say "Occasional repeat villian" is most accurate.

They dont even really talk about it till like.. Episode 60.. And its not something the characters seek out..

Even the first mini 'Arc' of the entire series doesnt occur till like.. Episode 30.. And its what? 2 episodes?

Point being they cant say gintama is filler. Episodic shows don't have filler. This isn't one piece where they're hunting down a treasure, they aren't tryna get their bodies back as in fma:b, or become s class wizards or hokage or hunter x hunter where we're tryna find our long lost father.. Then we have 10 episodes on an island training (i.e. not looking for our father). Those are shows with plots and hence island training arcs are fillers.

A few folks be tryna come out saying that only 12 episodes of gintama was the plot and the rest filler. Crazy notion.

Im Gintama we're just tryna live a normal life and reconcile with ourselves/our past. Every days a new day with new challenges.. Sometimes we see old characters. Sometimes new characters. Some characters wanna rehash old issues, others want to make new ones. We do have an over-arching villian that well see every 50 episodes or so for a total of 3 or 4 episodes. Yes we have a good ending, doesnt change what the show was designed to be.

This is a bunch of characters that do random odd jobs and deal with what life throws at em, its not a fair comparison to other shows.
ValeofruinJan 16, 2018 12:54 AM
Jan 16, 2018 2:54 AM

Jan 2010
@spacebishijesus

1. You should just ignore those ppl who force you to reconsider Gintama. The humor probably not your cup of tea
2. I think Gintama kind of has this hit and miss humor. You either love it so much or not at all
3. Idk about others, but me personally think Gintama deserve a full 10 no less. Enjoyment surely yes, but I have specific requirements for an anime to get a 10 and Gintama is one of the few anime deserving a 10 from me. It got nothing to do with MAL score nor Gintama's rank nor popularity on MAL. I only care about Gintama's popularity in Japan.
Jan 16, 2018 3:58 AM

Nov 2012
Because Gintama is awesome and anyone who disagrees has shit taste.
Jan 16, 2018 4:13 AM

May 2010
JokerJoestar said:

LOL I'd rather watch Naruto again from Episode 1 than ever touch Gintama.

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jan 16, 2018 4:20 AM

Jun 2009
ZionPulse said:
Why do people do shit like this?

Well?

It's interesting how non-Gintama fans call the Gintama fandom "toxic" but they're toxic themselves, giving fake reviews and scores of 1 without actually having seen it. *sigh* *another long sigh*
Very hypocritical.

And if they're doing it for shits and giggles they're not even funny. Kids really have too much free time on their hands if they do stupid shit like this.
Meh.
Jan 16, 2018 4:21 AM

Jul 2017
I don't need to watch Gintama to tell you, the reason behind is Gintama is good. You may not like it, but it entertained a lot of people, and they like it, and therefore it is good. No other way around.
Jan 16, 2018 4:26 AM

Oct 2013
instead of assuming its because it really appeals to a big majority of very dedicated fans lets just say its because people want to annoy others.
Only logical thing I can think of for a show that others say takes 50 or 100 episodes to get gud
Jan 16, 2018 4:31 AM

Nov 2016
Well people love Gintama. get over it
if you dont like it then thats your problem
Jan 16, 2018 4:34 AM
May 2017
kisb said:

lmao chill out. I was asking why they liked it and why the scores are the way they are.

"if you dont like it then thats your problem" that doesn't mean anything either because it's not a problem in the first place. You childish autists are the only people making this a problem instead of the rational and evidenced discussion this should be.
Jan 16, 2018 4:35 AM
May 2017
nbyung09 said:
I don't need to watch Gintama to tell you, the reason behind is Gintama is good. You may not like it, but it entertained a lot of people, and they like it, and therefore it is good. No other way around.

I am aware of this; read my post where I aknowledge this is the case and ask if there are any other reasons as to why this is the case.
Jan 16, 2018 4:35 AM
May 2017
JokerJoestar said:

hahahahahahhahahahahahhahahah

/s
Jan 16, 2018 4:36 AM
May 2017
Wasshio said:
Why make a thread like this?

Anyways, people like Gintama not only for the references but because the jokes can be varied, from bathroom jokes to 4th wallbreaking, and such.

Not only that the serious arcs when done right they're done right, along with the development of the characters within both comedy and serious arcs that gives more characterization etc about them, which makes people like the series a lot.

"Why make a thread like this?" because I wanted to ask a question.
The same reason that any thread that ends with a question mark is made.
Jan 16, 2018 4:39 AM
May 2017
_alpha-q_ said:
When will this horse be finally buried? People like the damn show, there's MAL's 1/5 rule, the sequel effect where only people who like the show move on to the sequels and likely score it high, and countless other threads with the same thing.

spacebishijesus said:

oh wow, sorry hard. is your entire fanbase as handicapped as you are?

lmao he gives a straight answer to a question repeated ad infinitum and your response is to call him (and us) handicapped. I can already feel my mind expanding with the insightful and fruitful discussions this thread is going to have.

ironic because you don't actually contribute toward said "insightful and fruitful discussions" by being sarcastic. Also, why would I come here for discussions like that? MAL forums are a total shit hole, hence why this is here and not on reddit.
Jan 16, 2018 4:40 AM
May 2017
Ephipany_ said:
Aeradae said:
There's no ulterior motive.... they just really enjoy Gintama.
This is the simplest answer. They don’t even care about the rankings at all, unlike the hatebase.

That's not particularly convincing.
Jan 16, 2018 4:41 AM
May 2017
ZionPulse said:

Well?

because it's funny to watch your fanbase react with all the grace of a seething autist.
Jan 16, 2018 4:42 AM
May 2017
html said:
gintama fans are the worst      

this thread definitely gives me this impression. distinct lack of civility and grace (which I have not reciprocated because it was not there to begin with.
Jan 16, 2018 4:43 AM
May 2017
Sean- said:
I hate this thread.
People are complaining for no reason.
Why cant forums be about something interesting.
Every time a new season comes out it's the same forum being made.

then don't comment on it. You're fuelling the fire of something you dislike. gg. this should be an interesting topic though but yet again MAL has lived up to its reputation.
Jan 16, 2018 4:44 AM

Feb 2016
ZionPulse said:

Well?

Oh gosh, I really do hate something like this.
------

I kinda annoys me too but I still love Gintama tho. I'm a fan and I rate it how I want. Some fans are just overreacting but also haters.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Jan 16, 2018 4:44 AM
May 2017
Sean- said:
html said:
gintama fans are the worst      

Not as bad as Gintama haters or haters of any anime.

so you're saying people are bad when they disagree with you or dislike something you like? what a snowflake lmao
Jan 16, 2018 4:46 AM
Jan 2018
To be honest, the ratings/scores in this site don't matter because it's shit, SO DON'T BELIEVE IT! If you didn't know, Gintama is really popular in Japan and even in our country .-. Why would it have so many seasons if it's not popular? Like wtf?? Why are people so worked up over these ratings?? You know that it's not real so why not just stop?

To all the Gintama fans, just continue what you are doing and keep on annoying the haters. I love you all! ><
AutumnikJan 16, 2018 5:37 AM
Jan 16, 2018 4:51 AM

Sep 2017
Because we like it and therefore we rate it a high score.Is is really that hard to understand?

People say that the gintama fanbase is cancer just because we rate it 10/10 but i think it's pretty obvious that the haters are much more cancerous since they rate it 1/10 without even watching it just to drop it off the top anime list (which still doesn't even work lol)

Besides, are you people really that insecure about your tastes that you feel so intimidated just because people enjoy one particular anime more than you do?

Jesus Christ, just grow up!
ppl don't think their opinions be wrong, but it do.
Jan 16, 2018 4:53 AM

Jun 2009
shanimebib said:

You are not the only one. Does new users in MAL even know which anime was number 1 in MAL before Brotherhood aired? It was CLANNAD After Story. And it was my favourite anime back then.

Do they even know which anime took the top spot at which day? It was Gintama and everyone thought it was an April Fool's joke. Yes. Back then MAL used to update the top anime page in a couple of days instead of couple of hours. Everyone was thinking it was an April Fool's but then when it just wouldn't go away after 1 day, 2 days, there was a huge outburst. I watched the first couple of episodes out of curiosity and couldn't get myself out from sheer disbelief and utter disgust seeing such a toxic and low budget of an anime usurped the CLANNAD After Story - the anime that made me feel all the emotions I could have ever asked for. I dropped or placed Gintama on hold for several times at the beginning. I just hated it with my guts but still came back to continue time and again just to see what actually charmed the fans of this anime.

Already a fan by then, having watched my share of Gintama, throughout which I laughed to the point my sides hurt like crazy, wept to the point I could barely read the subtitles, yet 6 years later, I was crying watching Gintama episode 305, crying more than watching any other anime in the past. I just wept and wept after hearing "Why did you choose us?"

Majority, if not all, of the shounen anime are based around getting stronger, working towards a goal, shoving us with concept of justice, trying to prove the world wrong, trying to find one's identity, avenging someone or something they held dear or so on. No anime did it like Gintama. Episode 305 differentiated and elevated Gintama from anything I have seen in any anime. It wouldn't have been possible to understand the anime, and how powerful it was if I hadn't seen the previous 304 episodes. All the small serious arcs suddenly were connected to a single episode.

I love FMA: Brotherhood, Hunter X Hunter and the likes with passion. They are some of the best anime I have seen and take up special places in my heart as an anime fan. But they really pale in comparison to how the story unfolded in Gintama which seemed like an episodic anime with no plot.

This comment was beautiful. It really moved me. I couldn't have said it better myself.
Jan 16, 2018 4:53 AM

Nov 2016
spacebishijesus said:
kisb said:

lmao chill out. I was asking why they liked it and why the scores are the way they are.

"if you dont like it then thats your problem" that doesn't mean anything either because it's not a problem in the first place. You childish autists are the only people making this a problem instead of the rational and evidenced discussion this should be.

Please do not make fun of autism. its not a joke
And its a very simple statement to understand

if you dont like it thats your problem. what this means is if you dont like it then that is just how it is for you. its not something anyone can do about it. and you cant just make people stop liking it.

If you want to know why people love Gintama well its pretty obvious.
- its funny
- it has many arcs that get real emotional
- there are some action arcs that are extremely intense
- its hilarious
- people love the characters and the stories
- its silly, comical, light, amusing

Jan 16, 2018 4:57 AM
May 2017
AraragiNagito said:
Because we like it and therefore we rate it a high score.Is is really that hard to understand?

People say that the gintama fanbase is cancer just because we rate it 10/10 but i think it's pretty obvious that the haters are much more cancerous since they rate it 1/10 without even watching it just to drop it off the top anime list (which still doesn't even work lol)

Besides, are you people really that insecure about your tastes that you feel so intimidated just because people enjoy one particular anime more than you do?

oh my god you utter retard. I'm know that enjoyment is one factor and I was asking if there were any other factors.
Jan 16, 2018 5:01 AM

Jan 2017
spacebishijesus said:
this thread definitely gives me this impression. distinct lack of civility and grace (which I have not reciprocated because it was not there to begin with.

I went through this thread and there were tons or civil responses, even long posts explaining their reasons why gintama is a 10/10 for them yet you did not respond to those at all and you only jump at the hate ones, which of course there are those since people tend to get aggressive when defending something they love (I'm not defending them, I'm just saying it's understandable). There is no need trying to pick out those people and labeling the fanbase so you can justify the rating you don't agree with.
As for the MAL rating, I also look at the rating and give high rated shows a go and there were so many of those high rated that just weren't my cup of tea, so I dropped them and moved on. People have very subjective tastes, just look at Pop Team Epic that is airing right now, some people love it and some hate it, it's not a big deal.
Jan 16, 2018 5:02 AM
May 2017
kisb said:
spacebishijesus said:

Please do not make fun of autism. its not a joke
And its a very simple statement to understand

if you dont like it thats your problem. what this means is if you dont like it then that is just how it is for you. its not something anyone can do about it. and you cant just make people stop liking it.

If you want to know why people love Gintama well its pretty obvious.
- its funny
- its hilarious
- its silly, comical, light, amusing

"if you dont like it thats your problem. what this means is if you dont like it then that is just how it is for you. its not something anyone can do about it. and you cant just make people stop liking it." this is irrelevant and redundant. I'm not trying to hate on it nor sway others' opinions.

"Please do not make fun of autism. its not a joke" ...
"If you want to know why people love Gintama well its pretty obvious.
- its funny
- its hilarious
- its silly, comical, light, amusing"

well that's good to know, thank you.

Jan 16, 2018 5:04 AM
May 2017
holiday498 said:
spacebishijesus said:

I went through this thread and there were tons or civil responses, even long posts explaining their reasons why gintama is a 10/10 for them yet you did not respond to those at all and you only jump at the hate ones, which of course there are those since people tend to get aggressive when defending something they love (I'm not defending them, I'm just saying it's understandable). There is no need trying to pick out those people and labeling the fanbase so you can justify the rating you don't agree with.
As for the MAL rating, I also look at the rating and give high rated shows a go and there were so many of those high rated that just weren't my cup of tea, so I dropped them and moved on. People have very subjective tastes, just look at Pop Team Epic that is airing right now, some people love it and some hate it, it's not a big deal.

I know which posts you are referring to but they were either poorly written or relied way too much on irrelevant anecdotal evidence that stunk of bias. True, that's what I was in part looking for but it is for that reason that I didn't respond. I reply to the contentious answers.
Jan 16, 2018 5:06 AM
May 2017
holiday498 said:
spacebishijesus said:

near the end of my post I said this:

Finally, I wholeheartedly accept that the ratings of Gintama, may be due to a difference in opinion and I am aware of the fact that that is likely the reason behind the scores in the first place. What I'd like to know is if there is any other reason as to the rating of this show?

This answers your latter paragraph. I am honestly astounded as to how many people only seem to have read the title before turning into angry ignorant keyboard warriors.
Jan 16, 2018 5:06 AM
Jan 2018
spacebishijesus said:
AraragiNagito said:

oh my god you utter retard. I'm know that enjoyment is one factor and I was asking if there were any other factors.

Some people already answered your questions. You're still not satisfied?
Also, are you happy now to be able to convince yourself that Gintama fans are toxic by making this pointless thread? By backfiring them insults?

All anime has toxic fans. It's a norm.

Gintama and its fans are hated just because of this shitty site. smh.
MAL rankings don't even matter.
Jan 16, 2018 5:07 AM

Nov 2012
Johan said:
JokerJoestar said:

LOL I'd rather watch Naruto again from Episode 1 than ever touch Gintama.

You must have no quality control if you think Naruto is anywhere Gintama's quality.
Jan 16, 2018 5:10 AM

Nov 2016
To put your mind at ease just know

Its not a conspiracy
People just genuinely do love Gintama

just like how people genuinely love fmab and steins;gate
people love what they love.
they dont have secret meetings with 1000s of people and plan to take over the top scores
Jan 16, 2018 5:10 AM
May 2017
Turtles_Hunter said:
HotaruKara said:
It's interesting how non-Gintama fans call the Gintama fandom "toxic" but they're toxic themselves, giving fake reviews and scores of 1 without actually having seen it. *sigh* *another long sigh*
Very hypocritical.

And if they're doing it for shits and giggles they're not even funny. Kids really have too much free time on their hands if they do stupid shit like this.
Meh.

Well, it's not the only show. Have you seen the SAO haters. They're even worse.
It's always the same thing. A small part of a fandom become obnoxious and very vocal about the show. They begin to put a "hey but in X" (X being the show in question, for the two in the back that didn't follow), even when it has nothing to do with the discussion. Then hater become vocal because they're annoying, which make some moderate fans react to that, which create more haters because it become worse to have "Gintama/SAO/any serie" in every fucking possible thread. That why SAO is bashed, that why Logh is bashed, that why Gintama is bashed.

The amount of hate is only proportionnal to the amount of annoying obnoxious (I like that word) fans.

That last hypothesis is so obviously wrong. A lot people vehemently dislike shows like OP, oreimo and other garbage like abunai sisters. But they don't have vocal fanbases (OP does, but more for the manga), people just dislike those shows because they are poor (or in oreimos case morally bankrupt)
Jan 16, 2018 5:11 AM
Jan 2018
But if you have so much time in your hands, if you still won't accept the reasons as to why the fans are such hardcore, maybe take a look at them yourself? Maybe even stress about it?

Because I've seen some fans that even gave the first season (the 201 eps) a 6 or 7.
Gintama is an acquired taste.
Jan 16, 2018 5:12 AM

Jun 2009
Turtles_Hunter said:
HotaruKara said:
Very hypocritical.

Meh.

It's always the same thing. A small part of a fandom become obnoxious and very vocal about the show. They begin to put a "hey but in X" (X being the show in question, for the two in the back that didn't follow), even when it has nothing to do with the discussion. Then hater become vocal because they're annoying, which make some moderate fans react to that, which create more haters because it become worse to have "Gintama/SAO/any serie" in every fucking possible thread. That why SAO is bashed, that why Logh is bashed, that why Gintama is bashed.

The amount of hate is only proportionnal to the amount of annoying obnoxious (I like that word) fans.

I understand your point of view. And yes, I know the SAO hate wave, I've been part of the anime community for more than 10 years now, so of course I know.

The difference between SAO and Gintama is that Gintama is actually good and SAO is overhyped mediocre trash.

I've been one of SAO's "haters" (more like I find the show to be really bad). But I didn't actively waste my life hating on it. I have better things to do. I just say it's trash and then go on my way.

But for some people hating on a show it's a way of life. Like being part of a fandom it's a way of life, it seems a new form of "community" has been formed. The anti-fans, the anti-fandom of something.
These are just kids (or even adults with no lives) that don't have anything better to do but to actively hate on something.

I understand that when something gets popular people start hating on it even if they haven't actually seen it, like what happened with Rick & Morty.
But even if I dislike part of Rick & Morty's fandom, I still enjoy the show and tune out the overzealous fans. I stay away from the fandom.
But I don't hate on it blindly like the sheeple just because it got very popular.

The same was with Attack on Titan back in 2013. I was annoyed by its popularity and the overzealous fans so I stayed away from the fandom. But I still enjoyed the anime. I tried to separate it from its fans.

But it still was overwhelming so I put the anime on-hold and waited for the popularity wave to fade away. It helped that the second season aired 4 years later and the erratic behaviour died out considerably.

So you can't compare actually great anime like Gintama or even okay anime like Attack on Titan with trash like SAO.
Jan 16, 2018 5:12 AM
May 2017
kisb said:
To put your mind at ease just know

Its not a conspiracy
People just genuinely do love Gintama

just like how people genuinely love fmab and steins;gate
people love what they love.
they dont have secret meetings with 1000s of people and plan to take over the top scores

The thing is, the amount of messages I've received prior and after this post from gintama fans asking me to either pick the show back up or raise the score if I'm going to drop it is indicative of something beyond normal blind fanboyism,
Jan 16, 2018 5:13 AM
Aug 2016
Personally, it is one of my favorite shows among anime (if the profile picture is any indication). I wouldn't call it flawless by any stretch and have rated each portion separately based on their quality. While there may be a number of people on the internet intentionally skewing the ratings (even as a fan, I find it hard to believe the general populous would rate it so highly by legitimate means), you also can't discount that there are those of us who truly enjoy the unrestrained humor of the show, even if it's not for everyone.
Jan 16, 2018 5:15 AM
May 2017
HotaruKara said:
Turtles_Hunter said:

I understand your point of view. And yes, I know the SAO hate wave, I've been part of the anime community for more than 10 years now, so of course I know.

The difference between SAO and Gintama is that Gintama is actually good and SAO is overhyped mediocre trash.

I've been one of SAO's "haters" (more like I find the show to be really bad). But I didn't actively waste my life hating on it. I have better things to do. I just say it's trash and then go on my way.

But for some people hating on a show it's a way of life. Like being part of a fandom it's a way of life, it seems a new form of "community" has been formed. The anti-fans, the anti-fandom of something.
These are just kids (or even adults with no lives) that don't have anything better to do but to actively hate on something.

I understand that when something gets popular people start hating on it even if they haven't actually seen it, like what happened with Rick & Morty.
But even if I dislike part of Rick & Morty's fandom, I still enjoy the show and tune out the overzealous fans. I stay away from the fandom.
But I don't hate on it blindly like the sheeple just because it got very popular.

The same was with Attack on Titan back in 2013. I was annoyed by its popularity and the overzealous fans so I stayed away from the fandom. But I still enjoyed the anime. I tried to separate it from its fans.

But it still was overwhelming so I put the anime on-hold and waited for the popularity wave to fade away. It helped that the second season aired 4 years later and the erratic behaviour died out considerably.

So you can't compare actually great anime like Gintama or even okay anime like Attack on Titan with trash like SAO.

"The difference between SAO and Gintama is that Gintama is actually good and SAO is overhyped mediocre trash." your bias ruins what was actually a well articulated post. I'm not asking you to be a bastion of objectivity but I'd suggest trying to view things more generally and be a little less opinionated because it undermines the validity of your answer, insofar that it's a pretty good argument (w/o bias that is)
Jan 16, 2018 5:15 AM

Jan 2017
spacebishijesus said:
I know which posts you are referring to but they were either poorly written or relied way too much on irrelevant anecdotal evidence that stunk of bias. True, that's what I was in part looking for but it is for that reason that I didn't respond. I reply to the contentious answers.

Well, of course it's biased because it's their opinion, you asked why people liked it right? If you saw the reasons and you disagreed with them, then it's just not a show for you, easy as that.

For example with me, it came gradually. I went through the first 20 episodes and I realised, wow, somehow I now care about the characters. And then came the first serious arc and I was really impressed with it. By the end of my binge watch I was crying during the last serious arcs. I can't tell you a specific reason for that, why I came to love the characters and appreciate the story and the humour, it just happened.

I hope you'll understand my reasoning because if you do, it means you also had an experience with some show you really liked and had a great time chilling with your fave show :)
Jan 16, 2018 5:16 AM
May 2017
Ender2195 said:
Personally, it is one of my favorite shows among anime (if the profile picture is any indication). I wouldn't call it flawless by any stretch and have rated each portion separately based on their quality. While there may be a number of people on the internet intentionally skewing the ratings (even as a fan, I find it hard to believe the general populous would rate it so highly by legitimate means), you also can't discount that there are those of us who truly enjoy the unrestrained humor of the show, even if it's not for everyone.

Thank you!

"even as a fan, I find it hard to believe the general populous would rate it so highly by legitimate means" This is exactly what I meant earlier. It is suspicious to some degree.

", you also can't discount that there are those of us who truly enjoy the unrestrained humor of the show, even if it's not for everyone." I don't. I accepted that this is a legitimate reason.
Jan 16, 2018 5:18 AM

Feb 2013
i cant believe such a big thread formed out of this.....
Jan 16, 2018 5:19 AM
May 2017
holiday498 said:
spacebishijesus said:

Well, of course it's biased because it's their opinion, you asked why people liked it right? If you saw the reasons and you disagreed with them, then it's just not a show for you, easy as that.

For example with me, it came gradually. I went through the first 20 episodes and I realised, wow, somehow I now care about the characters. And then came the first serious arc and I was really impressed with it. By the end of my binge watch I was crying during the last serious arcs. I can't tell you a specific reason for that, why I came to love the characters and appreciate the story and the humour, it just happened.

I hope you'll understand my reasoning because if you do, it means you also had an experience with some show you really liked and had a great time chilling with your fave show :)

yeah ofc there's going to be opinion and bias in a thread about that but people are not making rational arguments here because they refuse to acknowledge Gintama as anything but perfect.

"it's just not a show for you, " clearly, but my taste has no real relevance in this post. Notice how I never said this show is bad, but instead that I think the scores are too high.
Jan 16, 2018 5:20 AM
May 2017
romagia said:
romagia said:

eh this is ultimately what people are best at doing. especially since this is such a contentious and contemporary issue on MAL.
Jan 16, 2018 5:21 AM

Jun 2009
vortex_ said:
But if you have so much time in your hands, if you still won't accept the reasons as to why the fans are such hardcore, maybe take a look at them yourself? Maybe even stress about it?

Indeed, instead of wasting their time blindly hating on something they haven't even watched, "the haters" maybe should actually check it out and then say their opinion. They will have a more informed opinion that way. And wouldn't seem so ignorant and, frankly, foolish.
Jan 16, 2018 5:21 AM

Apr 2016
You answered yourself that question in the title OP.
Jan 16, 2018 5:24 AM
Aug 2016
spacebishijesus said:
Ender2195 said:

Thank you!

"even as a fan, I find it hard to believe the general populous would rate it so highly by legitimate means" This is exactly what I meant earlier. It is suspicious to some degree.

", you also can't discount that there are those of us who truly enjoy the unrestrained humor of the show, even if it's not for everyone." I don't. I accepted that this is a legitimate reason.

Appreciate your fair and level-minded reasoning! While I would say that I didn't come to appreciate the show until quite a ways in, and would encourage those willing to go for it all the way, the first portion can be a lot to get through if it's just not your kind of humor. Like I said, not for everyone ^-^
Jan 16, 2018 5:27 AM
May 2017
Swagernator said:
You answered yourself that question in the title OP.

Yeah that certainly might be the case. Doesn't mean this thread didn't serve a purpose though.
Jan 16, 2018 5:28 AM

Jun 2009
spacebishijesus said:
HotaruKara said:

"The difference between SAO and Gintama is that Gintama is actually good and SAO is overhyped mediocre trash." your bias ruins what was actually a well articulated post. I'm not asking you to be a bastion of objectivity but I'd suggest trying to view things more generally and be a little less opinionated because it undermines the validity of your answer, insofar that it's a pretty good argument (w/o bias that is)

I didn't actually try to be objective but I didn't try to be biased either. I just said my opinion. And yeah, it would have looked "better" if I didn't say my opinion about SAO. But I would have been dishonest. SAO sucks, no matter how you spin it. It's one of the few anime that actually irritate me. I've seen other mediocre shows but they don't compare to the level SAO irritates me.

Maybe because the first 4 episodes started out good but it all went downhill from there. I guess the huge disappointment I felt was a huge factor in me disliking the anime so much.

You can't say however that SAO is better than Gintama or Attack on Titan unless you're doing it for a meme. No matter how objective one is, putting SAO on the same level with Gintama just doesn't work.
Rhiannon-SenpaiJan 16, 2018 5:33 AM
Jan 16, 2018 5:29 AM
May 2017
HotaruKara said:
vortex_ said:

Indeed, instead of wasting their time blindly hating on something they haven't even watched, "the haters" maybe should actually check it out and then say their opinion. They will have a more informed opinion that way. And wouldn't seem so ignorant and, frankly, foolish.

If that is supposed to refer to me, then note I have seen 20 eps and then I dropped it, so I think that I have somewhat of a platform to critique upon.
Jan 16, 2018 5:30 AM
May 2017
HotaruKara said:
spacebishijesus said:

I didn't actually try to be objective but I didn't try to be biased either. I said my opinion. And yeah, it wouldn't have looked "better" if I didn't say my opinion about SAO. But I would have been dishonest. SAO sucks, no matter how you spin it. It's one of the few anime that actually irritate me. I've seen other mediocre shows but they don't compare to the level SAO irritates me.

Maybe because the first 4 episodes started out good but it all went downhill from there. I guess the huge disappointment I felt was a huge factor in me disliking the anime so much.

You can't say however that SAO is better than Gintama or Attack on Titan unless you're doing it for a meme. No matter how objective one is, putting SAO on the same level with Gintama just doesn't work.

That might be correct (although many would disagree).

Unfortunately that is entirely irrelevant and ergo redundant.
Jan 16, 2018 5:32 AM

Jun 2009
spacebishijesus said:
HotaruKara said:

If that is supposed to refer to me, then note I have seen 20 eps and then I dropped it, so I think that I have somewhat of a platform to critique upon.

Nah, I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to those that haven't even seen one episode of Gintama and hate on it blindly. So chill mate.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime peaked in 1998

Iron_Leopard - Yesterday

43 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
2 minutes ago

» Would anime be better if they started to use more adult casts?

Thy-Veseveia - Jun 5

36 by FrusDiplo »»
2 minutes ago

» What cartoon did you come to learn was actually anime

JaniSIr - Yesterday

31 by Kiryotsu »»
13 minutes ago

» Is the database algorithm fair?

Lucifrost - May 30

23 by Nirinbo »»
29 minutes ago

» Most attractive seiyuus?

Mattenan - 4 hours ago

12 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
43 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.