Forum Settings
Forums

Subtitled/Subbed or English Dubbed anime (aka Subs vs. Dubs v2)

New
Pages (176) « First ... « 171 172 [173] 174 175 » ... Last »
Oct 23, 2017 11:30 PM
May 2017
Personally, I'll watch both. I go with whichever I think feels better to me, although oftentimes if I'm starting an older or more niche anime I'll tend to just watch the sub and not bother comparing the first couple of episodes side by side, because the sub is probably going to be better quality and I'm feeling too lazy to check if I'm watching an exception to the rule.

If a dub is really good, however, I'll usually prefer watching it to the sub. My biggest reason for that is I find that the translation and localization tends to be better. There are some great subs, but there are also a lot where the dialogue is translated far too literally and reads as stilted. Characters sometimes read like ones from poorly localized JRPGs in the 90's.

In a crappy, rushed, low budget dub, the problem will often be compounded by terrible voices and dialogue that makes absolutely no sense. In a really great dub though, they'll take the time to have translators and script writers who truly understand the intricacies of both languages and focus on getting the feeling and connotations of a phrase right rather than just translating word for word and adjusting for sentence structure. They'll use analogous idioms and adjust word play and turns of phrase to better suit the language while conveying the originally intended idea.

The quality of the translation is the most important thing to me. I remember watching the sub of a now popular anime when it first came out. I enjoyed it, but I thought the characters felt stiff and the dialogue felt stilted. I was invested enough in the plot that I decided to read through some fan translated manga online. I was shocked at how much more I was invested in the (same) characters in the manga than I was in the anime, because whoever the fan translator was (probably some 20 something Japanese-American dude) had a better grasp on English and communicated the characters in a more human fashion. Nothing to do with voice acting, just writing.

mooflesOct 23, 2017 11:40 PM
Oct 23, 2017 11:31 PM
Jul 2018
Gem said:
i completely agree, op. dubs are way better than subs!!!!! i also think that they should just discontinue those japanese subs and just hand over the entire japanese cartoon industry completely over to the united states. we need more anime like bugs bunny and tom and jerry.

lol

the reason i like dubs is because i can digest what they're saying on cue.
it makes a big difference, especially for comedy. otherwise, I'd rather just read the manga. That's probably the biggest issue for me, I'd prefer to just speed read a manga, then sit through a bunch of subbed anime.
Oct 23, 2017 11:36 PM
May 2017
also, if I'm watching Your Lie In April, I'd rather hear the kids on the bike sing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" than hear them sing "Tinku, Tinku, Writtu Staa"

it's a heartwarming scene and I don't want to have to be laughing my ass off

shoutout to the avatar above my last post
Oct 24, 2017 12:11 AM

Nov 2014
I don't care about quality. I always watch movies, play games and obviously watch anime in original language.

And kids being spoiled? If anything it's the old people I know who shit on dubs in movies.
Oct 24, 2017 12:34 AM
Jul 2018
Terkhev said:
I don't care about quality. I always watch movies, play games and obviously watch anime in original language.

And kids being spoiled? If anything it's the old people I know who shit on dubs in movies.

that's because they were around when dubs were bad...and had anime to make fun of like speed racer
Oct 24, 2017 12:38 AM

Oct 2017
In my opinion Dubs are getting worse and worse, in terms of sound.
Oct 24, 2017 12:41 AM
Feb 2015
Subs > Dubs all day long. The original format is unbeatable. No matter how good the dub actor is.
Oct 24, 2017 12:44 AM

Mar 2016
I also prefer dubs.

Except Jojo.

Ill watch a jojo subbed.
Oct 24, 2017 12:54 AM
Jul 2018
Anime doesn't need voices.
When does what language its in start to matter?
i feel like there is an mount for prejudice here.
Oct 24, 2017 1:21 AM

Mar 2014
jarring said:
>States in the OP that he’ll always watch the dub if there’s one, no matter how bad it is, because he’d rather watch a show in a language that he understands
>”Omg stop caring about the language you guys, it doesn’t matter”
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Oct 24, 2017 1:48 AM
Jul 2018
Comic_Sans said:
jarring said:
>States in the OP that he’ll always watch the dub if there’s one, no matter how bad it is, because he’d rather watch a show in a language that he understands
>”Omg stop caring about the language you guys, it doesn’t matter”

because why not?
tell me a really bad dub that came out after say.. idk 2004 and i'll probably laugh in your face.
Oct 24, 2017 1:51 AM

Mar 2014
jarring said:
because why not?
So you're saying the language you watch something in does matter but now you're all of a sudden saying it doesn't. Nice double think, then again, it's a common occurrence in the "dubz rool" argumentation community.
tell me a really bad dub that came out after say.. idk 2004 and i'll probably laugh in your face.
Everything by Sentai Shitworks and 90 % of the dub content FUCKERYmation produces
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Oct 24, 2017 1:58 AM
Jul 2018
Comic_Sans said:
jarring said:
because why not?
So you're saying the language you watch something in does matter but then you go ahead and say that it doesn't. Nice double think, then again, it's a common occurrence in the "dubz rool" argumentation community.

you're not even gonna try?
i understand you think i'm a hypocrite, but its irrelevant
Oct 24, 2017 1:58 AM

Apr 2014
kyins said:
TLDR: Ok, you should watch what you enjoy!!!

As for the flame war, dub-haters should be thrilled and appreciate the anime they love is being dubbed.

(1) Most people like to experience an entertainment medium in their preferred language and shy away from majority foreign content.

(2) The more people that like and support a product, the more that product will be produced and acquire funding (a la, supply and demand).

(3) Some people can't literally read sub titles in real-time (i.e. disability or what have you). So then dubs equate to wider accessibility, which increases the audience of support.

Therefore, if you like anime, and want to see the continued success of the industry and the medium, you should embrace dubs and the people that like them.

This is not to say, all dubs are of good quality, but that more demand, will lead to higher quality because the better product brings in higher profit.
Yeah, like the kid I saw on school. His eyesight was so blurred. He almost shove his face on the monitor and his phone.
So he can't really enjoy watching anime subbed and prefers "dubs" because it's troublesome for him.
And guess what, he's more addicted on anime than me, he even plays games (Japan) on his phone. (PS Vita emulator for android).
Haters always gonna hate.
Oct 24, 2017 2:00 AM

Mar 2014
jarring said:
I already said I find everything Sentai Shitworks produces and 90 % of the dubs FUCKERYmation produces bad.
It is relevant because if you want people to think your arguments are good then being a hypocrite isn't going to help you.
Nico- said:
Oct 24, 2017 2:01 AM
Oct 2015
Raw > Sub & Dub
Nah jk, I can't understand Japanese that well anyway
Heckle was here...
Oct 24, 2017 2:07 AM
Jul 2018
Comic_Sans said:
jarring said:
I already said I find everything Sentai Shitworks produces and 90 % of the dubs FUCKERYmation produces bad.
It is relevant because if you want people to think your arguments are good then being a hypocrite isn't going to help you.

tbh now i just pity you.
meh what was i expecting
Oct 24, 2017 2:10 AM

Mar 2014
jarring said:
tbh now i just pity you.
meh what was i expecting
It's not my fault that you have no arguments in store
Nico- said:
Oct 24, 2017 2:20 AM
Jul 2018
Comic_Sans said:
jarring said:
tbh now i just pity you.
meh what was i expecting
It's not my fault that you have no arguments in store

lol. calling me a hypocrite does not contradict me. maybe it would if I said subs were bad, but I am not comparing
Oct 24, 2017 2:23 AM

Mar 2014
jarring said:
lol. calling me a hypocrite does not contradict me. maybe it would if I said subs were bad, but I am not comparing
Actually, yes, saying something that implies X matters and then saying X actually doesn't matter when it suits your agenda is the definition of a contradictory statement and thus hypocrisy.
Nico- said:
Oct 24, 2017 2:32 AM
Jul 2018
Comic_Sans said:
jarring said:
Actually, yes, saying something that implies X matters and then saying X actually doesn't matter when it suits your agenda is the definition of a contradictory statement and thus hypocrisy.

don't give me your lologic, gross, and horribly executed, and for christ's sake grow some tastebuds.
you have no right to throw logic at me when you've projected so much onto me already. do you really think you're being rational right now?
Oct 24, 2017 2:35 AM

Mar 2014
jarring said:
don't give me your lologic, gross, and horribly executed, and for christ's sake grow some tastebuds.
Sorry, but insults aren't arguments. You're gonna have to prove your logic trumps mine.
you have no right to throw logic at me when you've projected so much onto me already. do you really think you're being rational right now?
Yes, pointing out your opponents' logical fallacies is always rational.
Comic_SansOct 24, 2017 2:38 AM
Nico- said:
Oct 24, 2017 2:36 AM
May 2017
DeepBlueHorizons said:
I normally watch subs more because that's all that is available when a series is first out but dubs are probably better for the sheer fact that in Japanese every female has an annoying high pitched exaggerated voice and screams unnecessarily too often.
Anime is probably not your thing then
Oct 24, 2017 2:42 AM
Jul 2018
Comic_Sans said:
jarring said:
Sorry, but insults aren't arguments. You're gonna have to prove your logic triumphs mine.

smh. i don't know why i'm arguing with you. you gotta be super young.
"insults aren't arguments" lol.
i'll give you a hint for future use. It's called ad hominem.

this is where you go wrong in your "logic" before you even begin.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection
Oct 24, 2017 2:45 AM

Mar 2014
jarring said:
It doesn't matter what you call it, at the end of the day, it's still not an argument.
And this irrelevant wikipedia link disproves my arguments how exactly? Oh wait, it doesn't.
Nico- said:
Oct 24, 2017 2:45 AM

Aug 2014
dubs arent inherently bad, but most are pretty bad
Oct 24, 2017 2:58 AM

Jul 2014
Kinda tired of these threads, they're probably bait, but I'll bite. I prefer subs, sometimes watch dubs, but mostly subs. I'm fine with people who like dubs as long as they don't completely disregard a good show because of the lack of a dub.
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
Oct 24, 2017 3:06 AM
Jul 2018
Comic_Sans said:
jarring said:
It doesn't matter what you call it, at the end of the day, it's still not an argument.
And this irrelevant wikipedia link disproves my arguments how exactly? Oh wait, it doesn't.

i don't think you know what logic is. hypocrisy is irrelevant. the fact you're using it as an argument to sound "logical" is fucking absurd.
the language it's in doesn't matter, it never mattered. I never said it mattered. Just the fact that I can understand it is enough. This has nothing to do with any particular language, like Jananese, English, Spanish, Chinese, you name it.
Oct 24, 2017 3:10 AM

Mar 2014
jarring said:
i don't think you know what logic is. hypocrisy is irrelevant. the fact you're using it as an argument to sound "logical" is fucking absurd.
If your argument is hypocritical and contradictory then it's not a good argument because good arguments aren't hypocritical and contradictory.
the language it's in doesn't matter, it never mattered. I never said it mattered. Just the fact that I can understand it is enough. This has nothing to do with any particular language, like Jananese, English, Spanish, Chinese, you name it.
See? Now you're contradicting yourself again. First you claim the language doesn't matter and then in the very next sentence you say you understanding the language matters, meaning that the language does matter.
Nico- said:
Oct 24, 2017 3:12 AM
Aug 2017
jarring said:
i watch a lot of both. probably more subs when it comes to new anime of course...
but if an anime has a dub, I'm watching it dubbed. No matter how bad it is.

i honestly think the people complaining about dubs these days are obnoxious and ungrateful punks.

back in the day, you actually had to pay extra for dubs, and that was when dubs actually WERE bad for the most part. But it didn't matter, it was anime.

Kids these days are spoiled rotten idiots.
see the fact is that unlike most languages, especially Asian ones, English lacks the similar structure of both phonetics, outward reading and in many cases the're are no proper ways to express a dialogue in English, without loosing it's intended meaning and impact.

For example the witty Wordplay in many anime, along with the puns and the jokes are hard to translate in English (as English is a highly modified and convoluted language) thus translating them in dubs leads to the problems such as entire dialogues changing and the nuance of words being lost, making the show a dumbed down, and the jokes and culture 'literally' "lost in translation".

I think subs are preferably for those who are serious about anime as it gives both a framework on what is being said and also help apply our own knowledge of the language, by listening to the actual words being spoken, thus helping us paint a more original picture of what the creators wanted to tell us.
Rahul_RyuOct 24, 2017 3:37 AM
Oct 24, 2017 3:20 AM
Jul 2018
Comic_Sans said:
jarring said:
If your argument is hypocritical and contradictory then it's not a good argument because good arguments aren't hypocritical and contradictory.
See? Now you're contradicting yourself again. First you claim the language doesn't matter and then in the very next sentence you say you understanding the language matters, meaning that the language does matter.

you keep getting hung up on "being able to understand it" which i guess i can understand, but it's really anal retentive of you, and it shouldn't matter. you don't need spoken word to understand something. being able to understand something is a prerequisite of all entertainment you fucking dork.
Oct 24, 2017 3:25 AM

Mar 2014
jarring said:
you keep getting hung up on "being able to understand it" which i guess i can understand, but it's really anal retentive of you, and it shouldn't matter. you don't need spoken word to understand something. being able to understand something is a prerequisite of all entertainment you fucking dork.
If the spoken word didn’t matter to you then you wouldn’t choose to watch a dub over a sub no matter the quality, yet you do. Once again you’re contradicting yourself as you’ve shown the language clearly matters to you but you tell other people they shouldn’t care about it.
Nico- said:
Oct 24, 2017 3:33 AM
Aug 2017
jarring said:
Comic_Sans said:

Are you being serious?
You just contradicted yourself,with really high confidence I must say, then you called the other person a fucking dork!
Oct 24, 2017 3:35 AM
Jul 2018
Comic_Sans said:
jarring said:
If the spoken word didn’t matter to you then you wouldn’t choose to watch a dub over a sub no matter the quality, yet you do. Once again you’re contradicting yourself as you’ve shown the language clearly matters to you but you tell other people they shouldn’t care about it.

god kid. i get it. you are a derp. your whole existence is a derp. it honestly blows my mind people like you even exist. Did I say spoken word "DIDN'T MATTER?" i feel dumb just for replying to such an imbecile.
Oct 24, 2017 3:40 AM

Mar 2014
jarring said:
god kid. i get it. you are a derp. your whole existence is a derp. it honestly blows my mind people like you even exist. Did I say spoken word "DIDN'T MATTER?" i feel dumb just for replying to such an imbecile.
If the language truly didn’t matter then the spoken word wouldn’t matter either, yet here you are telling us you’ll always opt for the dub if it exists.
Nico- said:
Oct 24, 2017 3:40 AM
Aug 2017
jarring said:
Comic_Sans said:

"did'nt matter" is not a spoken WORD
Oct 24, 2017 3:41 AM

Sep 2014
jarring said:
Comic_Sans said:
Sorry, but insults aren't arguments. You're gonna have to prove your logic triumphs mine.

No offense but you're the only one being rude here and using ad hominems. Most of your arguments are insults. I like dubs too and I somewhat get your point but your post does kind of insult people who prefer subs. I mean its their opinion they find most dubs distasteful. Although I agree that a lot of people disregard them based on a few examples.
Oct 24, 2017 3:46 AM
Aug 2017
ambrose7 said:
jarring said:

No offense but you're the only one being rude here and using ad hominems. Most of your arguments are insults. I like dubs too and I somewhat get your point but your post does kind of insult people who prefer subs. I mean its their opinion they find most dubs distasteful. Although I agree that a lot of people disregard them based on a few examples.
I get what you mean,dubs aren't all bad, I used to watch them too until I tried out subs, and realised what I was missing out on, the problem is that if you have a european/English-based native language (english,french,German,ittalian, etc) it won't be as entertaining or as true to the source as most Asian language dubs and the japanese subs.thats just the problem with the language barrier
Oct 24, 2017 3:47 AM
OG Rewriter

Aug 2009
Killbay_Kun said:
Also you have to be retarded to not be able to read subs without pausing the video.

Yeah, you should probably not call people retards if they cant read subs without pausing. It's kind of rude. Watch anime how you want, but the name-calling is kind of silly.
Oct 24, 2017 3:49 AM

Sep 2014
Rahul_Ryu said:
ambrose7 said:

I get what you mean,dubs aren't all bad, I used to watch them too until I tried out subs, and realised what I was missing out on, the problem is that if you have a european/English-based native language (english,french,German,ittalian, etc) it won't be as entertaining or as true to the source as most Asian language dubs and the japanese subs.thats just the problem with the language barrier

Perhaps but translations these days aren't as bad as they were before. And besides as I have said before, I prefer to understand what I'm listening to. I have no problems with subbed versions though. If a dub isn't that great I sometimes switch out.
Oct 24, 2017 3:59 AM
Jul 2018
ambrose7 said:
jarring said:

meh. put yourself in my shoes. this kid is nuts. lol "argument"
Oct 24, 2017 3:59 AM
Aug 2017
ambrose7 said:
Rahul_Ryu said:

Perhaps but translations these days aren't as bad as they were before. And besides as I have said before, I prefer to understand what I'm listening to. I have no problems with subbed versions though. If a dub isn't that great I sometimes switch out.
well if you like it then it's ok, I tend to immerse myself in what I love and thus I went to Japanese classes and watch anime to improve comprehension
Oct 24, 2017 4:02 AM

Jul 2015
I just want to point out, that nothing butchers Moe in more violent fashion than awful dub.

Oct 24, 2017 4:02 AM
Mar 2011
as iv said manytime in many a topic oon this subject what ver provids the better translation is better
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 24, 2017 4:13 AM
Jul 2018
Comic_Sans said:
jarring said:
If the language truly didn’t matter then the spoken word wouldn’t matter either, yet here you are telling us you’ll always opt for the dub if it exists.

i'll give you one more response.
you're a scapegoat. I'm tired of responding to you, because you won't give up on it. I've already pointed it out to you multiple times, but it doesn't matter to you apparently. You can't lose!! ..the argument!
respond with scapegoat.
Oct 24, 2017 4:20 AM
Oct 2017
I tend to watch subs first and if I really like the show then I will watch the dub to see if there is any difference in the translation process as that is what interests me.
I don't however care to tell anyone they are wrong for having a different preference than I do because it is just that, my preference.
Nobody ever changes someones opinion just by telling them that the opinion is wrong.
In short just watch what you like.
Oct 24, 2017 4:20 AM

Mar 2014
jarring said:
you're a scapegoat. I'm tired of responding to you, because you won't give up on it. I've already pointed it out to you multiple times, but it doesn't matter to you apparently. You can't lose!! ..the argument!
respond with scapegoat.
Pointed out what? Nothing, because you still haven't proved how "When does what language its in start to matter?" doesn't contradict the statements "Did I say spoken word "DIDN'T MATTER?" or "but if an anime has a dub, I'm watching it dubbed. No matter how bad it is.".
Nico- said:
Oct 24, 2017 4:26 AM
Aug 2017
jarring said:
Comic_Sans said:

respond with scapegoat.
your the most annoying BOKE ever, you know that? Scapegoat has NO context here!!!!!!!! (Unfortunately I'm the tsukkomi)
Oct 24, 2017 4:33 AM
Jul 2018
Rahul_Ryu said:
jarring said:

respond with scapegoat.
your the most annoying BOKE ever, you know that? Scapegoat has NO context here!!!!!!!! (Unfortunately I'm the tsukkomi)

are you actually reading this so called "argument?" I think you're just a sock.
Pages (176) « First ... « 171 172 [173] 174 175 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you look down on people who watch dubbed anime?

Iron_Leopard - 34 minutes ago

9 by Mayahuel »»
4 minutes ago

» Is there any anime which you haven't watched but you enjoyed the Hentai/Doujin centred around that perticular series ?

GoodBoy0069 - Jun 1

27 by Zalis »»
11 minutes ago

» Did you know people who have only 200 completed anime but more than 100 days are--

LenRea - Jun 3

45 by Zalis »»
19 minutes ago

» Does it REALLY matter if media gets ruined?

APolygons2 - 6 hours ago

16 by Lucifrost »»
28 minutes ago

» Which big name anime(s) were you late watching or still haven't watched?

IpreferEcchi - Jun 2

44 by ArpitPatel »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.