Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 30, 2016 12:02 PM
Lovely person

Mar 2016
I wanted to make loading time faster.

Using the suggestions from @Annuvin, I first changed the code to use the official API and CDN. I thought this would drastically improve the loading time. It didn't. Using the API and CDN still took 2.4 seconds to load my profile image with no parameters. I still included it though.

Then, I thought of the second method Annuvin had, which was caching. So.....

MALembed : Update

Server-side caching is now implemented!

The image is saved on the server for 60 minutes after a visit. The image will not update during that hour, making the request faster. This also means that even if you update your list, the image will not change for another 60 minutes or so.

After the 60 minutes, the cache file will be deleted, and the image will have to be re-generated.

I also thought of client side caching, but then some browsers ignore these, so I went with server side.

And because it's server-side caching, if someone generates the image somewhere on the other side of the world, and then you visit within the next 30 minutes, you will see it fast.

Before:

After:
FoxInFlameNov 8, 2016 1:39 PM
Oct 30, 2016 1:36 PM

Jun 2016
If your having trouble with hosting/funding just put a donation link up, I'm sure people will help out.
Nov 5, 2016 10:41 AM

May 2015
test:

also, I just wanted to thank the creator for this awesome project!

@foxinflame done!
MalarkeyNov 5, 2016 10:52 AM
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Nov 5, 2016 10:49 AM
Lovely person

Mar 2016
Malarkey said:
test:

also, I just wanted to thank the creator for this awesome project!

Thank you for trying it out! And, you are welcome!

Try adding shadows, as the text is currently hard to read.
Nov 8, 2016 1:25 PM
Lovely person

Mar 2016

- Custom characters by providing an Imgur ID, just like backgrounds! However, unlike backgrounds (which stretch to fit 400x128 space), characters will simply by scaled without changing the aspect ratios.
- And please notice the new comment section on the website, I feel pretty lonely there.
- Fixed a bug with the scaling algorithm that stretched profile picture super tall.

Check out more of it at the website.

Example of my friend's profile:

When you're silently coding a minor project in the dark corner of the room when the rest of the world is hyped about the election...
FoxInFlameJan 10, 2017 10:59 AM
Nov 8, 2016 7:47 PM

Feb 2016

This is just a test to see if it works

Throughout my life, the moments
and people who define me...
They have all been illuminated by
sparks.

Nov 8, 2016 8:03 PM

Nov 2011
For some reason, when I paste the imgur code, it says the image does not exist or no longer available even though it does.

Nov 8, 2016 11:30 PM
Lovely person

Mar 2016
@KaiserNazrin It should work. What is the Imgur code?

Maybe you're taking the album code instead. Hover image the image you uploaded and you should see the direct image code.

Trump is winning... :(
FoxInFlameNov 10, 2016 6:20 AM
Nov 9, 2016 3:39 AM
Lovely person

Mar 2016
@CharlieDaKing

It's working, don't worry.
Nov 16, 2016 2:32 AM
Lovely person

Mar 2016
@CharlieDaKing
CharlieDaKing said:

This is just a test to see if it works

You could use your current signature.
https://www.foxinflame.tk/dev/MALembed/CharlieDaKing?bg_image=aT2pux8&shadow=1&shadow_amount=2&character=noragami

FoxInFlameJan 10, 2017 10:57 AM
Nov 16, 2016 3:02 AM

Apr 2015
This looks nice! The old sig generator I used to use seems to be down, and this is nice and simple. Awesome!
Nov 18, 2016 5:50 AM
Jul 2018
I really like this thankyou!
Nov 18, 2016 1:44 PM
Lovely person

Mar 2016

Due to a request from "Laurin" (Disqus name) on the comment section of the MALembed website, I have now added...

- Super easy to use online editor on the website to customize your embed!
- Which also means no more need to copy and paste individual parts to create your own, you just have to select options you want and copy the code!

Just type your name in at the top, click on Advanced Editor, and enable things you want!
The Editor is made for people who don't have that much knowledge on complex URLs and all that,
and so, the explanation and the steps in the "how to use your own image" is also simpler.

The old explanation, now called the documentation, is also available at the bottom of the page.

You can see the live editor in action on the website.

Nov 19, 2016 1:00 AM
Lovely person

Mar 2016
Benpai said:
This looks nice! The old sig generator I used to use seems to be down, and this is nice and simple. Awesome!

Nice color choice! Even though I was the one who implemented it, I could only think of colors like bright red or orange, and it turned out pretty horrible. :)
Nov 19, 2016 1:06 AM

Apr 2015
FoxInFlame said:
Benpai said:

Nice color choice! Even though I was the one who implemented it, I could only think of colors like bright red or orange, and it turned out pretty horrible. :)

Thanks, I like the live editor update. I think I might implement something similar on my folder icon generator.
Nov 19, 2016 6:51 AM
Lovely person

Mar 2016
Benpai said:
FoxInFlame said:

Thanks, I like the live editor update. I think I might implement something similar on my folder icon generator.

Thank you. Where can I have a peek at your folder icon project?
Nov 19, 2016 6:53 AM

Apr 2015
FoxInFlame said:
Benpai said:

Thank you. Where can I have a peek at your folder icon project?

Well the thread is here: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1569528
Nov 25, 2016 9:06 AM
Lovely person

Mar 2016

MALembed : Downtime

There was a temporary downtime on the MALembed server that lasted from 22:30 GMT to 10:55 GMT. I apologize.

This happened because I was trying to move everything into a new folder called /embeds, so that the URL would be
/dev/embeds/MALembed

This move was first done because I intend to create more embeds for other websites as well.

However, I wanted to keep the URL as it is, redirecting to /embeds. And then, because I am so stupid, I set up a Permanently Moved 301 redirect.
So when I realized that the redirect wasn't working as I wanted to, and moved the folder back to where it was, it didn't work.

At first, I removed the redirect.
But a 301 redirect is cached on the user browser for ages, and so, it's nearly impossible to get rid of.
And then I deicded to redirect the new site to the old one. But that was just a redirect loop.
So, I fixed it with the ugly method of placing a question mark at the end of the redirect URL. Couldn't find any other way.

Anyway, it's back up again. Apologies.
Nov 25, 2016 2:49 PM
Lovely person

Mar 2016

One of the coolest updates so far in MALembed history!

- Choose from a set of predefined fonts!
- Separate font for title and body!

I haven't gotten around to updating the whole live editor yet, so for now, look at the documentation on the official website.
(Scroll down and click on show documentation)

A few examples:

Nov 26, 2016 4:09 PM
Lovely person

Mar 2016
Updated the live editor with the Fonts option!

You can choose from a lot of fonts using the dropdown menu inside the live editor, and even see a preview of the fonts by typing some words!

FoxInFlameNov 27, 2016 9:46 AM
Dec 3, 2016 1:07 PM
Lovely person

Mar 2016

Minimum mode! A smaller picture, useful for areas where you don't have much space!

- All the options work, just put
/min right after your name.
- Also added a Show parameter, to change what shows up on the Minimum mode.

The live editor and the documentation has been updated on the offiial website.

A few examples:

/RandomPerson/min?show=all&bg_image=default4&shadow=1&shadow_amount=1&character=kon&title_font=saoui-bold&body_font=lobster

/RafaelDeJongh/min?show=1&title_font=wizardtit-regular&body_font=hallosans-black&character=loveliveschoolidolproject&bg_image=KdX9xPS&shadow=1

/Rhaal/min?show=4&character=idolmaster&title_font=hallosans-black&body_font=lobster&bg_image=hQDmw7u&shadow=1&shadow_amount=1

Come on! Post your own, and let's see how cool it looks!
Dec 15, 2016 4:40 PM
Lovely person

Mar 2016

MALembed is currently down. No, it's not just MALembed. Fixed.

My whole website is not available.

This is because I'm in the process of moving from one free hoster to another (namely, FreeWHA to 000Webhost). After looking through their free plans and their reputations, 000webhost seemed much more reliable.

FreeWHA doesn't even have a forum, and it's main page looks like it's a site from the early 20s! Compare that to 000webhost, which has the current trends going on their site, Material Design. They even have a full community forum for posting website stuff, so you get help easily.

Last time I visited 000webhost was 3 years ago, and back then, FreeWHA was a much better choice. It's different now.

Anyway, I need to relink all the links in my projects and on my website, and so, this migration will cause a downtime of at at minimum, a week. But wait! I'm talking about the migration of the whole website. I probably can get MALembed working again, once the DNS sets up, by tomorrow evening GMT.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Edit Downtime for MALembed is now over! I moved back to FreeWHA, because the whole 000webhost server went down a few hours after I moved there.
FoxInFlameDec 17, 2016 3:23 AM
Jan 10, 2017 10:56 AM
Lovely person

Mar 2016

HTTPS! CloudFlare!

- HTTPS now works, with the help of CloudFlare. Of course, it's the Free plan.
- So from now on, try your best to use HTTPS in the urls.

Jan 10, 2017 4:20 PM

Apr 2015

Amazing Work.This Is So Good....:) Thankyou
Mar 3, 2017 2:02 PM
CSS Wizard

Jul 2009
@FoxInFlame:
I just saw this on your profile, so I proceeded to make my own entry. One question though, would it be possible in the future for the embed to show manga statistics instead of anime ones? Just as another option to choose.
Mar 3, 2017 2:19 PM
Lovely person

Mar 2016
@Half_Bl00d:

Thanks for using MALembed!

As for Manga, I didn't have any plans for it, but I might try.
You might have already noticed, but I rarely update my manga list, and I still don't really know how volumes/chapters work together. It would take time until I get a concept of what I would like to display on the embed.

If I find nothing else to do, or if more people request, I will do my best to allow users to choose Manga as an option.
Mar 3, 2017 2:43 PM
CSS Wizard

Jul 2009
@FoxInFlame: Thank you for the quick reply.
Significantly less users read a lot of manga than watch a lot of anime, but in general I believe they should be on equal terms. A for the display info, you don't have to go deeper than it already is for anime, just display the same info: Reading, Completed, On-Hold, Dropped and Plan to Read, taken from the profile same as for anime. That way you won't have to do anything with chapters/volumes. I believe that would be simple enough to do. :)

If you haven't done so already, this club is a great place to promote your creations and get constructive and useful advice about them.
Mar 3, 2017 2:50 PM
Lovely person

Mar 2016
@Half_Bl00d:

Probably. I'll try fiddling around. I've got quite a bit of homework to finish as well :)
Your method might not be so hard.
Mar 3, 2017 4:58 PM
Lovely person

Mar 2016

Now supports Manga list!

- Manga list support, by using the "type" parameter, or the option in the Live Editor (thanks @Half_Bl00d).
- Added new font "Counterscraps", which I just found on 1001fonts, and it had a free commercial license so why not but is not even really a font (just random kitchen symbols).
- Also, - IMPORTANT - the shadow calculations have changed. Before the shadow values were the diagonal distance from the text itself, but now it has changed to the amount of blur. The position of the shadow will now never change even if the "shadow_amount" increases or decreases. It will just blur more or blur less. The blur is unitless, but somewhere between 1 and 4 seems good to me. :)

Check out the new features in the Live Editor on the official page!

Suggestions and feedback are always welcome!
FoxInFlameMar 4, 2017 2:05 PM
Mar 4, 2017 2:53 AM
CSS Wizard

Jul 2009
@FoxInFlame: Wow that was very fast, I did not expect to see it the next morning! Thank you very much for the great work :)
Mar 4, 2017 10:00 AM

May 2016
Thank you for making the manga version of the embed! Tried something new and incorporated it into my already existing signature. :)

Mar 4, 2017 2:27 PM
Lovely person

Mar 2016
Half_Bl00d said:
@FoxInFlame: Wow that was very fast, I did not expect to see it the next morning! Thank you very much for the great work :)

I didn't expect to finish it so fast either. You are welcome!

Nekomimi_Megane said:
Thank you for making the manga version of the embed! Tried something new and incorporated it into my already existing signature. :)

You are welcome! It fits lovely in your signature. I have to say that your use of shadows around the embed is interesting and mesmerising. :)
Mar 11, 2017 1:23 PM
Lovely person

Mar 2016

Yeah, great!

Today when I wake up:

....won't disappear overnight?

---

As I posted on this tweet.

My entire site, which contains MALembed, nextMAL, FoxInFlame Media, and tons of other of my projects is down. This is not my issue.

FreeWebHostingArea is apparently going through a maintenance period, according to the 5 word reply I got from their support email yesterday.

I also checked if the matomari API, running on the same hoster, was up, and confirmed that that entire website was down as well, returning 404 errors. This is an issue with the hoster itself.

I wish for this to be solved as soon as possible, but I seriously have no idea when it will become available again. If the hoster is not fixed by 01:00 GMT 13th of March, I will try my best to find another one with the same domain. Until then, please bare with me.

I apologise in their place for the amount of inconvenience this is causing.
Mar 11, 2017 11:46 PM

Apr 2015
This looks fucking dope. Thank you for your contribution!

KronokInFMar 11, 2017 11:51 PM
Mar 17, 2017 4:37 AM
Lovely person

Mar 2016
Website seems to be working again.
It's experiencing a few downtimes here and there, but free hosters always do that when I get thousands of visits every day.

@KronokInF Nice! I like how the background isn't black, but like a purply shade of black.
I know it's dope. That's why I made it. :)
FoxInFlameMar 24, 2017 8:29 AM
Mar 23, 2017 1:56 PM

Dec 2014

I wanted to test it xD
Mar 23, 2017 5:03 PM

Apr 2015

This Is Pretty Awesome!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2017 8:30 AM
Lovely person

Mar 2016
@shadowbow

I know :) Everyone gets the urge to test it.

@Uchihaaa

From your username and profile picture, Naruto fan?
Mar 24, 2017 12:59 PM

Apr 2015
Yep N
FoxInFlame said:
@shadowbow

I know :) Everyone gets the urge to test it.

@Uchihaaa

From your username and profile picture, Naruto fan?
Yup Been Watching Naruto Since The Beginning :)
Mar 28, 2017 12:34 PM
Lovely person

Mar 2016
@BAKAwatcher

quick answer: what do you mean!?

If you want to put it in your signature, you first generate one embed that you like through the official website. You then copy the URL at the top of the page (the one for BBcode). Coming back to this forum thread and scrolling up, you should see a "Forum Settings" link near the top, underneath the search bar. Click, scroll down to signature, and paste it there. Preview it before submitting, just in case!
Mar 29, 2017 11:28 AM
Lovely person

Mar 2016
@BAKAwatcher

Looks cool! Thank you for trying out MALembed!
May 13, 2017 9:47 AM
Lovely person

Mar 2016
I was thinking of a few things I could add. Which one should I prioritise?

- Finding cooler fonts.
- Adding a new embed type that shows recent updates for either manga or anime.
- Adding overlays with transparent background on top of everything (e.g. leaves, hearts, whatever).
- Adding a new embed type that shows stats for a user. (e.g. no of forum posts, no of clubs, no of blogs)
- Adding a new embed type that shows something else (please specify in a reply :])

Sep 26, 2017 8:56 AM
CSS Wizard

Jul 2009
@FoxInFlame: the embed has been down for a while now, any news on when will it be back up?
Oct 1, 2017 2:55 AM
Lovely person

Mar 2016
@Half_Bl00d
You're like the only person who actually cares and posts a response...

My domain foxinflame.tk is down. Like, entirely. It won't be back up for another month or so. Which means all my projects, including MALembed, nextMAL, QMAL, will be unusable. I've even taken down QMAL from the Chrome Web Store in an attempt to stop the spam of criticism.

I have every social profile and project linked to my website so I'm just running around in chaos right now.
Oct 1, 2017 3:18 AM
CSS Wizard

Jul 2009
@FoxInFlame: aww, that's sad to hear :/
I'll wait patiently until it returns then, and I wish you good luck with your work :)
Jan 27, 2018 9:59 PM
Lovely person

Mar 2016

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
It's back up!

After nearly 6 months of downtime, I have given up on reclaiming "foxinflame.tk". MALembed has now been relaunched at "malembed.tk", which also means it's easier to type out!
I'm so happy I can dance!

I'm sorry for the long downtime and the inconvenience I have caused users of this service. At least for another year, this service will be stable, and if I don't forget to renew the domain, it will be stable forever.
Thank you (if anyone waited), and I hope you continue using the service!

To anyone new (who saw the thread at the top of the forum), try MALembed! See my signature!

The new website is now at https://www.malembed.tk.
Suggestions and feedback are always welcome!

MALembed : Important Feature Removal

These features have been removed due to a loss in the file system:
- Minimised mode
- Manga support
- Shadow generation using blur

These features are also live, thanks to a USB backup I had in my closet.
FoxInFlameJan 28, 2018 2:27 AM
Jan 28, 2018 1:13 AM

Sep 2015
FoxInFlame said:

- Manga support

It's a shame. I'd love to finally find something with functionality similar to this:

Jan 28, 2018 2:25 AM
Lovely person

Mar 2016
Heldengeist said:
FoxInFlame said:

- Manga support

It's a shame. I'd love to finally find something with functionality similar to this:

Hey, that looks like an awesome idea! On my todo list now!

Edit: Having the username above the image would greatly reduce the proflie image size, but having the username beside it would mean the 7 rows of text will not fit.... Any suggestions?
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» This my Drawing

Kirika_Madeleine - Aug 24

3 by Dumb »»
6 hours ago

» My Realism Oil Painting #NSFW

salsalsalsal - Aug 17

4 by salsalsalsal »»
11 hours ago

» favorite movies

O_Peres - Sep 20

3 by Little_Sheepling »»
Sep 21, 10:45 AM

» favorite TV series/shows

O_Peres - Sep 20

0 by O_Peres »»
Sep 20, 7:34 PM

» favorite mangas/in manga style

O_Peres - Sep 20

0 by O_Peres »»
Sep 20, 7:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.