Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Jun 30, 2016 11:07 AM

Mar 2010
RainyRai said:
Jagd84 said:

Pfft, you're telling me a person who is not only famillar with source but knows, what will be covered in the anime by far beyond it?

Sure whatever you say.

developing in the source /=/ developing in the anime.

The anime is an adaptation of the source. Look your free to think what you want, but there should be an unspoken level of common sense that tells you not to argue with someone over something you haven't exprienced or been familiar with yourself.

It's like a store clerk trying to argue with nuclear physict on fission works.
Jun 30, 2016 11:11 AM

May 2015
Jagd84 said:
RainyRai said:

developing in the source /=/ developing in the anime.

The anime is an adaptation of the source. Look your free to think what you want, but there should be an unspoken level of common sense that tells you not to argue with someone over something you haven't exprienced or been familiar with yourself.

It's like a store clerk trying to argue with nuclear physict on fission works.

There is an important difference here though.
This is the anime discussion forum for Re:Zero as an anime. As of now, the series only as 13 episodes currently aired. This is not about any events that happen in the source, because the source is not relevant. As of this moment, Subaru has experienced no development.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jun 30, 2016 11:38 AM

Mar 2010
Thay had nothing to do with my point or your claims and you know it.

In anycase my point still stands.
Jun 30, 2016 11:48 AM

Jun 2016
he's EXTREMELY annoying. I thought there was some hope for him but he keeps acting dumber as the show goes along, especially with these sudden moments of rage/emotion all the time

he was better when he had a bit more subtlety in his character and he could be calm and conversational at times, while being awkward and dumb at other times. Now he's literally in super-exaggerated mode all the time and his obsession for Emilia is getting weird
PashpuJun 30, 2016 11:52 AM
Jun 30, 2016 1:43 PM
Apr 2016
I agree the MC is very super annoying, I rethink to dropped this anime because of that, but it's too late because I was watching this title until the latest episode.

IMHO the MC talk much and nothing good at all, super weak and keep talking forever, lol

no offense, I just spit my own preception
Jun 30, 2016 2:01 PM

Oct 2014
Rayla said:
I don't hate him because he is the most realistic main character in this sort of fantasy setting anime.

He has flaws just like every other human.

I admire his determination and will power, and I grew to enjoy his character even more because we got to see him at his lowest.

Subaru is human.

He is not perfect.

That's fine.

He isn't Kirito, and I like that.

He isn't an over-powered badass that gets his way thanks to the help of deus-ex-machima.

He doesn't always get the girl.

He has flaws, just like we have flaws.

Subaru is human.

Subaru is Subaru.

Most realistic mc in fantasy setting?
Sure never trying to understand what is going or why he was sent to this world or missing anything in this other world is a perfect realistic reaction
Jun 30, 2016 9:56 PM
May 2016
gabrielrroiz said:
Rayla said:
I don't hate him because he is the most realistic main character in this sort of fantasy setting anime.

He has flaws just like every other human.

I admire his determination and will power, and I grew to enjoy his character even more because we got to see him at his lowest.

Subaru is human.

He is not perfect.

That's fine.

He isn't Kirito, and I like that.

He isn't an over-powered badass that gets his way thanks to the help of deus-ex-machima.

He doesn't always get the girl.

He has flaws, just like we have flaws.

Subaru is human.

Subaru is Subaru.

Sure never trying to understand what is going or why he was sent to this world or missing anything in this other world is a perfect realistic reaction

We know that he was depressed and a shut in. Why would he miss his life? And Subaru already understands that Satella favors him, there's nothing much else he can do to figure out why the most evil thing in existence favors him.
He also has the witches scent. If he went snooping around smelling like satella while trying to figure out more stuff about satella he would be targeted. Sure, he can reset, but that only increases his scent and makes him even more of a target.
He is a messed up guy trying to *re*-start from *zero*, he's not a gary stu or a self insert. This is a great story and i'm personally in for the long haul, and if you put more thought into things you would realize that too.

And for those complaining about "muh character development," I see Subaru becoming more obsessed with his only anchor to foreign world: Emilia. He has been saving or attempting to save Emilia's life countless times, and when he's in the cusp of losing her we realize that he's desperate to keep her. Subaru struggles with telling Emilia exactly why he's anxious to be with her at all times. His power is one of the few things that could protect those close to him, so he is desperate to protect them. In countless loops he has lost characters like Emilia, Rem, and Rom. It's only logical from his perspective that he should be there so that when shit hits the fan he can do something about it. Sure, he's not doing it to be entirely altruistic, it's for selfish reasons, but he's constantly at the brink of his sanity and doesn't want to lose anyone.

Also, did any of you notice how he reacts to being called worthless? That only furthers the idea that he has issues prior to coming to this world. We are seeing the cracks into Subaru's true personality. Is this character development? I'll let you argue over this, because I'm not going to waste my time on this topic anymore.
KoyomoJun 30, 2016 10:18 PM
Jul 1, 2016 1:16 AM

Aug 2012
I didn't read the source, but it's pretty obvious this episode is the beginning point of him changing. Come on, MAL users, is it that hard to understand? + saying that Subaru had no development for the past 13 episodes is something i would expect from someone who barely watch the anime and/or have no objective point of view.
Sure, his development is just starting, but he already went through so much more thing than most main characters of any animes.
Jul 1, 2016 1:57 AM

Jun 2015
Koyomo said:
gabrielrroiz said:

We know that he was depressed and a shut in. Why would he miss his life? And Subaru already understands that Satella favors him, there's nothing much else he can do to figure out why the most evil thing in existence favors him.
He also has the witches scent. If he went snooping around smelling like satella while trying to figure out more stuff about satella he would be targeted. Sure, he can reset, but that only increases his scent and makes him even more of a target.
He is a messed up guy trying to *re*-start from *zero*, he's not a gary stu or a self insert. This is a great story and i'm personally in for the long haul, and if you put more thought into things you would realize that too.

And for those complaining about "muh character development," I see Subaru becoming more obsessed with his only anchor to foreign world: Emilia. He has been saving or attempting to save Emilia's life countless times, and when he's in the cusp of losing her we realize that he's desperate to keep her. Subaru struggles with telling Emilia exactly why he's anxious to be with her at all times. His power is one of the few things that could protect those close to him, so he is desperate to protect them. In countless loops he has lost characters like Emilia, Rem, and Rom. It's only logical from his perspective that he should be there so that when shit hits the fan he can do something about it. Sure, he's not doing it to be entirely altruistic, it's for selfish reasons, but he's constantly at the brink of his sanity and doesn't want to lose anyone.

Also, did any of you notice how he reacts to being called worthless? That only furthers the idea that he has issues prior to coming to this world. We are seeing the cracks into Subaru's true personality. Is this character development? I'll let you argue over this, because I'm not going to waste my time on this topic anymore.

This was very well written.

Subaru's had issues even before coming to the fantasy world. He hides his anger, frustration and sadness by behaving erratically. His solitary lifestyle prior to his arrival has caused him to be unable to read people well, so it comes as a no surprise that he has absolutely no idea why Emilia would be mad at him. His little show during the event hurt her reputation massively, and unless Subaru gets his act together and actually tries to develop his talents, things will stay bad and go poorly.

Here's hoping that he doesn't kill himself, die or return to the time before the events that unfolded. That would just kill his development and stunt any growth. His relationship with Emilia would also feel way more shallow, since at least she would not be aware of his feelings and thoughts and Subaru would be in a complicated situation after hearing hers.
uh oh!
Jul 1, 2016 3:54 AM

Jun 2011
Koyomo said:
gabrielrroiz said:

I was about to reply to her comment, but seems like I didn't need too. Thanks.
Jul 1, 2016 7:11 AM

Jan 2013
Koyomo said:

He isn't trying to restart his life.
Story isn't about second chance, it's parody of Isekai (or how transported to different world one is called) where protagonist has no power and stupid actions are not working.

What he does, he literally tries to be shounen (and occasionally harem) VN protagonist in the setting that is neither shounen nor harem, only real difference is that he is quite literally "trapped in wrong anime" and his action aren't working at all, hence his stupidity often leads to his death. He completely lacks the common sense, his intelligence isn't impressive and he is completely disconnected from reality, deeply convinced that he is indeed in game and that world is subject to his imaginary game laws with scripted events he must participate in. He was repeatedly taught in very painful way that his believes are invalid and his approach isn't working, but he stubbornly follows it even if it leads to his painful death. He charged the situation with Priscilla thinking that this is once again VN event, he did so after the so called PTSD moment so he literally can't learn from his mistakes. His social intelligence is also next to non-existing and can't behave himself at all, which is surprising in case of someone who was raised in Asian country where subordination is everything - even though his belief he is special hero plays the role here.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Jul 1, 2016 10:10 AM

Mar 2015
OP, this comes from a japanese novel. Never expect a character to act like... you know... a normal human being. And this show actually does better than most. At least they don't try to insult our intelligence too much.
Jul 1, 2016 10:21 AM
Jul 2018
beast_regards said:
Koyomo said:

Story isn't about second chance, it's parody of Isekai (or how transported to different world one is called) where protagonist has no power and stupid actions are not working.

It is about a second chance, yeah. He's trying to start a new, better life, yes. That's one of the reasons why he decided to start working as a butler in the mansion. He already said that he was broke. Had no money even to buy apples. Needed a place to live.

He isn't missing his old world, because he wants to live in this one.
Jul 1, 2016 10:49 AM

Jan 2013
iRels said:
He's trying to start a new, better life, yes. That's one of the reasons why he decided to start working as a butler in the mansion. He already said that he was broke. Had no money even to buy apples. Needed a place to live.

He was broke, but he didn't thought about it. He asked for the job so she can keep stalking Emilia and because it made sense from his game logic. He had literally zero idea what it means, is constantly impolite if not rude to the people above his status (because he totally fails to understand what being a servant means), he was actually shocked he is suppose to do an actual work etc.
Jul 1, 2016 11:02 AM
Jul 2018
beast_regards said:
iRels said:
He's trying to start a new, better life, yes. That's one of the reasons why he decided to start working as a butler in the mansion. He already said that he was broke. Had no money even to buy apples. Needed a place to live.

He was broke, but he didn't thought about it. He asked for the job so she can keep stalking Emilia and because it made sense from his game logic. He had literally zero idea what it means, is constantly impolite if not rude to the people above his status (because he totally fails to understand what being a servant means), he was actually shocked he is suppose to do an actual work etc.

'Didn't thought about it'? He had it in mind. But hadn't been asked before. It was at the merchant guy that he said it. He was aware of his situation. In the warehouse with Felt and Rom, he said the same about being broke. Not one day had passed. That's why he wasn't too worried. He was planning in using his knowledge about the modern world to 'become rich' and such. He had said it.
Jul 1, 2016 11:10 AM

Mar 2010
KlinsK said:
I didn't read the source, but it's pretty obvious this episode is the beginning point of him changing. Come on, MAL users, is it that hard to understand? + saying that Subaru had no development for the past 13 episodes is something i would expect from someone who barely watch the anime and/or have no objective point of view.
Sure, his development is just starting, but he already went through so much more thing than most main characters of any animes.

You're surprised that there are MAL users who miss the blinding obvious?

beast_regards said:
Koyomo said:

Congrats, that is most retarded thing I've heard on this forum.
Jul 1, 2016 11:21 AM

Jan 2013
iRels said:
'Didn't thought about it'? He had it in mind. But hadn't been asked before. It was at the merchant guy that he said it. He was aware of his situation. In the warehouse with Felt and Rom, he said the same about being broke. Not one day had passed. That's why he wasn't too worried. He was planning in using his knowledge about the modern world to 'become rich' and such. He had said it.

He never actually tried to "use the knowledge" to "become rich" - I would be actually curious to see how this one fails. He asked for the job to get to the girl(s).
Jul 1, 2016 11:37 AM
Jul 2018
beast_regards said:
iRels said:

He never actually tried to "use the knowledge" to "become rich" - I would be actually curious to see how this one fails. He asked for the job to get to the girl(s).

He wanted to stay close to Emilia. But it wasn't only for that. He needed a ceiling.

He used his knowledge, yeah. He's been using it. And he's doing it to succeed. But he's taking more than he can handle. Ram didn't call him 'excessively quick-witted' for nothing.

And you're still insisting on harem. But it's not like I mind much as I know there isn't one here. But you're making a clown of yourself, as I said before.
Jul 1, 2016 11:39 AM

Mar 2010
beast_regards said:
iRels said:

iRels is telling you that back in ep 2 Subaru deliberated on whether to sell off his phone for pretty penny based on what he learned about it's supposed value or go with his conscience and use it to prevent Emilia, Felt and Rom from getting killed. So yes he did think about it. Not surprised you don't remember given your earlier comment.

And also part of reason he took Butler was to build a new life for himself, he says this directly to Emilia when their in garden at night in episode 4.

Oh, and in the LN he basically invents Mayonnaise which becomes a hit with villagers. The only reason he stopped producing it was due an incident with Rem.
Iron_MawJul 1, 2016 11:49 AM
Jul 1, 2016 12:09 PM

Jan 2013
iRels said:
He used his knowledge, yeah. He's been using it. And he's doing it to succeed. But he's taking more than he can handle. Ram didn't call him 'excessively quick-witted' for nothing.

He managed to actually learn the language pretty quickly, considering he was technically illiterate, which is by itself actually very impressive, but otherwise his intelligence his pretty much informed ability. He constantly kept charging into danger and only thing that prevented an endless loop was sheer dumb luck (or deux-ex-machina) where powerful character suddenly appears and saves everyone (like Reinhart in first arc, Roswal in second).
Subaru also have amazing resolve to keep going, but also amazing amount of persistence and bloody determination in doing stupid things that drive the plot instead like focusing on self preservation (or rather, lack of pain). But story actually needs to keep him on track, so he can never quit despite others would. That's plot device actually.

iRels said:
And you're still insisting on harem. But it's not like I mind much as I know there isn't one here. But you're making a clown of yourself, as I said before..

Due to lack of success, not due to lack of attempt. Honestly, what would you do in situation where blue one (Rem or Ram, whateveer) died of curse?

I do make the clown of myself because I keep responding to you. Actually, this is kind of determination for doing stupid things you admire on Subaru :-)
Jul 1, 2016 12:19 PM

Jan 2013
Jagd84 said:
iRels is telling you that back in ep 2 Subaru deliberated on whether to sell off his phone for pretty penny based on what he learned about it's supposed value or go with his conscience and use it to prevent Emilia, Felt and Rom from getting killed. So yes he did think about it. Not surprised you don't remember given your earlier comment.

And also part of reason he took Butler was to build a new life for himself, he says this directly to Emilia when their in garden at night in episode 4.

Oh, and in the LN he basically invents Mayonnaise which becomes a hit with villagers. The only reason he stopped producing it was due an incident with Rem.

Phone stopped to be important after that single episode - it probably ran off charge already, so there is no point of pulling it ever again. In wasn't ever used in attempt to make a profit, only to get the brooch for Emilia. Should he actually succeed in trading the brooch for the phone, then hand over brooch to Emilia, it would run into the dead end where he is still hopeless without any money. In a way he was lucky Elza decided to gut him otherwise he wouldn't be where he is right now, that's some irony actually.

Getting the job is probably good in long term plan, but from what I recall from Subaru thought (and we actually hear his thoughts), he never actually thought of long term implications in relation of his financial situation i.e. that he must get the job to keep on living. His motivation was stalking Emilia, considering how much he sucks in actually understanding his job position (he is the servant, but still think himself as boyfriend).

Mayonnaise was never brought up, so I ignore it. I'll not read the novel, despite I probably should.
beast_regardsJul 1, 2016 12:23 PM
Jul 1, 2016 12:39 PM
Jul 2018
beast_regards said:
iRels said:

He managed to actually learn the language pretty quickly, considering he was technically illiterate, which is by itself actually very impressive, but otherwise his intelligence his pretty much informed ability. He constantly kept charging into danger and only thing that prevented an endless loop was sheer dumb luck (or deux-ex-machina) where powerful character suddenly appears and saves everyone (like Reinhart in first arc, Roswal in second).
Subaru also have amazing resolve to keep going, but also amazing amount of persistence and bloody determination in doing stupid things that drive the plot instead like focusing on self preservation (or rather, lack of pain). But story actually needs to keep him on track, so he can never quit despite others would. That's plot device actually.

The language was likely given to him along with the immortality ability. I didnt refer to that. I referred to the fact that he's been using knowledge from modern world. He's dealt with situations that way. He's watched people doing it. He's read them. All through media. He's not lived, but observed others living, mostly.

He's focusing on self-preservation, yeah. He was half-dead in the real world. That's not plot device, from what I read about its meaning. He doesn't gives up because he's stubborn, arrogant, greedy. And with immortality, well-gifted. He's desperate to succeed. Because as I said before, he was a loser in the real world.

'so he can never quit despite others would'. Which others? You don't seem to understand enough about Subaru. Giving up on a new life he's already invested so much on, after being faithful in it being a better one... He's prideful. He wouldn't want to give up, having himself to blame. When he jumped from the cliff, he had it in mind to consider whether the maids were worth it. He realized that they weren't evil. So he found them worth it.

beast_regards said:
iRels said:
And you're still insisting on harem. But it's not like I mind much as I know there isn't one here. But you're making a clown of yourself, as I said before..

Due to lack of success, not due to lack of attempt. Honestly, what would you do in situation where blue one (Rem or Ram, whateveer) died of curse?

I do make the clown of myself because I keep responding to you. Actually, this is kind of determination for doing stupid things you admire on Subaru :-)

So you still deny your stupidity?

I don't admire his stupidity, but his persistence. No, the clown is in you for making fun of yourself. He's not attempting a harem. He's wanting to be accepted. So he can live in peace with Emilia.

Emilia isn't a 'waifu', btw. She's real to him. Flesh and blood.
removed-userJul 1, 2016 12:58 PM
Jul 1, 2016 12:54 PM

Mar 2010
beast_regards said:

Phone stopped to be important after that single episode - it probably ran off charge already, so there is no point of pulling it ever again. In wasn't ever used in attempt to make a profit, only to get the brooch for Emilia. Should he actually succeed in trading the brooch for the phone, then hand over brooch to Emilia, it would run into the dead end where he is still hopeless without any money. In a way he was lucky Elza decided to gut him otherwise he wouldn't be where he is right now, that's some irony actually.

WTF. The point was he thought using his knowledge to get rich by scamming people with things like his phone since he knew what it could go for thanks to his successful negation with Felt, and there is no indication that suddenly working after. So no your wrong and don't make excuses or add irrelevant details to change the subject.

Getting the job is probably good in long term plan, but from what I recall from Subaru thought (and we actually hear his thoughts), he never actually thought of long term implications in relation of his financial situation i.e. that he must get the job to keep on living. His motivation was stalking Emilia, considering how much he sucks in actually understanding his job position (he is the servant, but still think himself as boyfriend).

Again with the excuses. Whether he wanted to get closer to Emilia or does not change fact he took job to provide himself since he had nothing at the moment, and that he actually liked working there because he was most serious and fulling thing hes done in his life. All you're doing glossing over and directly ignoring what contradicts your bullshit. Stop watching the show if just gonna outright lie. Believe or not people usually have multiple reasons for doing something.

Mayonnaise was never brought up, so I ignore it. I'll not read the novel, despite I probably should.

It's still canon and only reason you are ignoring it is because flys in the face what you said. Again hy bother show if just make up shit. Just because you hate MC doesn't make what you said any more true.
Iron_MawJul 1, 2016 12:59 PM
Jul 1, 2016 12:58 PM

Jan 2013
iRels said:
He's dealt with situations that way. He's watched people doing it. He's read them. All through media. He's not lived, but observed others living, mostly.

What do you mean? His meta commentaries like "omfg gurlz in maid constumes" or the fact that he is convinced that everything that happens is some scripted event in visual novel/game? Neither of those are actually intelligent.

iRels said:
When he jumped from the cliff, he had it in mind to consider whether the maids were worth it. He realized that they weren't evil. So he found them worth it.

He tried to get perfect play-through (in game that isn't really a game) where she gets all the girls - I don't really know how you want to call that?

iRels said:

I don't admire his stupidity, but his persistence. No, the clown is in you for making fun of yourself. He's not attempting a harem. He's wanting to be accepted. So he can live in peace with Emilia.

He is hitting on Emilia because he thinks she is his prize in the game, otherwise he don't really cares for others, they are just NPC's to him, he tries perfect playthrough. Honestly, he would be hitting on Elza if she met her first and she left good impression to convince him that she is the prize.

Well, fact that responded to you proves that I am indeed stupid. Honestly, I would probably make more dead ends that Subaru if I tried to direct it, as I already know that it isn't worth it to keep hitting on girl that was nice to me briefly. Or I would be glad that Rem is dead. Honestly, I would probably end up in endless loop sooner than Subaru. He advances the story, after all, as any good plot device should.
beast_regardsJul 1, 2016 1:08 PM
Jul 1, 2016 1:07 PM

Jan 2013
Jagd84 said:
Stop watching the show if just gonna outright lie..

I'll keep watching. It is still the best show this season as there isn't any better alternative, others bored me quickly after few episodes, but I kept watching Re:Zero so there is something good about it. I should however re-consider discussing it - after all, I create lot of conflict by not praising it enough.
Jul 1, 2016 1:12 PM

Mar 2010
beast_regards said:
Jagd84 said:

I'll keep watching. It is still the best show this season as there isn't any better alternative, others bored me quickly after few episodes, but I kept watching Re:Zero so there is something good about it. I should however re-consider discussing it - after all, I create lot of conflict by not praising it enough.

No you create conflict by being inaccurate and moving goal posts. Your personal opinions on the show doesn't matter to me but misinformation does, especially those that are reductive or caricatured the characters. Emilia is clearly important to Subaru for good reasons, but he's thought about things other than her, conversed with people other than her, and worked with other people than her. This no lie.
Jul 1, 2016 1:16 PM

Jan 2014
Tfw people trying to protect a stalker thinks that the girl he is trying to save (due to his obsession with her) somewhat owned him and has to "repay", should be more grateful
rorimoeJul 1, 2016 1:20 PM
Jul 1, 2016 1:21 PM

Jan 2013
Jagd84 said:
No your create conflict by being inaccurate and moving goal posts. Your personal opinions on the show doesn't matter to but misinformation does, especially those reductive or caricatured the characters. Emilia is clearly important to Subaru for good reasons, but he's thought about other things other than her, conversed with people other than her, and worked with other people than her. This no lie.

She became important to him in the moment she stepped into the alley and he thought she is the prize girl he was suppose to get in the game he thought he is in. Felt fled and no other pretty girl was around, so he couldn't really get hooked for different girl, he followed his game logic from that point.
Jul 1, 2016 1:26 PM
Jul 2018
beast_regards said:
iRels said:
He's dealt with situations that way. He's watched people doing it. He's read them. All through media. He's not lived, but observed others living, mostly.

What do you mean? His meta commentaries like "omfg gurlz in maid constumes" or the fact that he is convinced that everything that happens is some scripted event in visual novel/game? Neither of those are actually intelligent.

He's making fun of it. Partially to not feel intimidated by his surroundings. And to relieve stress he's gone through. He's pulled Beatrice's hair too. But he's very talkative, in good senses. He deals well with people. Like those in the village. Ram wondered how could they like him. He'd do better, weren't those in the mansion so extraordinary. He's an easy time with more common folk.

beast_regards said:
iRels said:
When he jumped from the cliff, he had it in mind to consider whether the maids were worth it. He realized that they weren't evil. So he found them worth it.

He tried to get perfect play-through (in game that isn't really a game) where she gets all the girls - I don't really know how you want to call that?

'perfect play-through'? The reason why he was taking everything so unseriously was because he had escapism. Real life was too hard for him. So when he was brought to a fantasy world, he decided to treat it like something else. Something that it looked like.

He didn't give up on those people, because he valued them. As dense as he is.

beast_regards said:
iRels said:

He is hitting on Emilia because he thinks she is his prize in the game, she don't really care. Honestly, he would be hitting on Elza if she met her first and she left good impression to convince him that she is the prize.

Well, fact that responded to you proves that I am indeed stupid. Honestly, I would probably make more dead ends that Subaru if I tried to direct it, as I already know that it isn't worth it to keep hitting on girl that was nice to me briefly. Or I would be glad that Rem is dead. Honestly, I would probably end up in endless loop sooner than Subaru. He advances the story, after all, as any good plot device should.

What the f. She isn't his prize the way you mean it. He wants her as a partner in life. So he could have a family. Succeed. Like people do in real life. He's that kinda guy. When he heard that Ram would go into his room, he said 'I've to be loyal to Emilia. *Blushes*' He's not malicious. He's too undeveloped for that. They're not game prizes, as they're real. Subaru isn't a 'player'.

Elsa wouldn't leave him a good impression. She's too rotten. But sure, she could deceive him into thinking the opposite.

He's not plot device. Those people didn't really depend on him. Emilia would die. Felt would die. Then the prophecy would change. It's been shown that it can change. Then others would be chosen as candidates. Reinhard had been looking for some time. They could wait longer. A plot already existed. And it wasn't centered around someone from another world. You get it? It's the characters that drive the story. The source readers should know better, but Subaru wasn't shown to be essential.
Jul 1, 2016 1:33 PM

Jan 2011
beast_regards said:
Jagd84 said:

My thoughts exactly. Shame we have to hold back. But the back and fourth is just not worth it. Well not entirely just at times with some.
Jul 1, 2016 1:33 PM

Mar 2010
beast_regards said:
Jagd84 said:
No your create conflict by being inaccurate and moving goal posts. Your personal opinions on the show doesn't matter to but misinformation does, especially those reductive or caricatured the characters. Emilia is clearly important to Subaru for good reasons, but he's thought about other things other than her, conversed with people other than her, and worked with other people than her. This no lie.

She became important to him in the moment she stepped into the alley and he thought she is the prize girl he was suppose to get in the game he thought he is in. Felt fled and no other pretty girl was around, so he couldn't really get hooked for different girl, he followed his game logic from that point.

He also thought he had magic powers and super strength etc. He tossed a bunch of meta humor at beginning of the show you weren't supposed to take seriously. He all but stopped doing that long ago since constant violent situations destroyed these notions.

This not change what I said earlier either. He didn't take job as Butler because he thought it was game, he didn't rescue the kids in village because he thought was a game, and he doesn't like Emilia because he thinks he's in a game. All his reason doing the things he's doing because those people he's met has either personal helped him or he's grown like them after getting to know them. This not conjecture, it has been said or shown by him in the show.
Iron_MawJul 1, 2016 1:38 PM
Jul 1, 2016 1:35 PM
Jul 2018
beast_regards said:
Jagd84 said:

Facepalms

He was a guy in need of affection. Desperate for it. And he's the good kind of guy. What you're saying about him is insulting. Such a misjudgement of character. He didn't go after other girls. He became loyal to his admiration for Emilia. He likes her because she's shown to be good, you know? He would think that she wouldn't like him, were he bad.
Jul 1, 2016 1:40 PM

Jan 2013
Jagd84 said:
This not change what I said earlier either. He didn't take job as Butler because he thought it was game, he didn't rescue the kids in village because he thought was a game, and he doesn't like Emilia because he thinks he's in a game. All his reason doing the things he's doing because those people he's met has either personal helped him or he's grown like them after getting to know them. This not conjecture, it has been said or shown by him in the show.

Whole Mansion Act was filled in meta-commentaries where he was thinking of whole situation like the game events. If we are not suppose to take that seriously, I don't know what we should. And he never quit. It's running through the entire anime, including Priscilla scene - it was actually Priscilla scene where he thought of it as game event that created the further impression - as it was after his breakdown where he should know better.
Jul 1, 2016 1:45 PM
Jul 2018
beast_regards said:
Jagd84 said:

Whole Mansion Act was filled in meta-commentaries where he was thinking of whole situation like the game events. If we are not suppose to take that seriously, I don't know what we should. And he never quit. It's running through the entire anime, including Priscilla scene - it was actually Priscilla scene where he thought of it as game event that created the further impression - as it was after his breakdown where he should know better.

Yeah, Priscilla. It's been shown how he was feeling pathetic. He said so himself, just before having seen the thugs pulling the woman into the alley. What he wanted was to feel better about himself. To play the hero. But it didn't work out. It was too real to.
Jul 1, 2016 1:48 PM

Mar 2010
beast_regards said:
Jagd84 said:

No he didn't. Sure he made some meta references here there for light humor to pick his spirits up (which ranged from book to manga tropes), but that just it. He always took the situations he was in seriously and fought with everything had and suffer heavily for it. You don't do that if you're thinking with game logic. You're the one making more out of it then it is. If other people can easily separate his humor from what his serious side you can.
Iron_MawJul 1, 2016 1:53 PM
Jul 1, 2016 1:50 PM

Jan 2013
iRels said:
He was a guy in need of affection. Desperate for it. And he's the good kind of guy. What you're saying about him is insulting. Such a misjudgement of character. He didn't go after other girls. He became loyal to his admiration for Emilia. He likes her because she's shown to be good, you know? He would think that she wouldn't like him, were he bad.

It's called being needy and the stalker, he likes/loves the first girl that was nice to him. Which I think is actually realistic part of the character, but not really a good or admirable trait.

Emilia opinion on the matter, dunno, she probably don't have experience with many stalkers, she is shy and with little to no friends. And yea, there was maliciousness detector called Puck that assured her that he is good guy. And despite the fact spirits can detect maliciousness, Rem/Ram tried to kill him. Honestly, either Puck or Betty could tell them that he is incapable of maliciousness, hence he can't be evil spy cultist whatever, geez. But that isn't Subaru fault.

It however makes me think ... what would Puck say about other people in Subaru's situation when being needy stalker is a good thing?
Jul 1, 2016 1:54 PM

Jan 2013
Jagd84 said:
No he didn't. Sure he made some meta references here there for light humor to pick his spirits up (which ranged from book to manga tropes), but that just it. He always took the situations he was in seriously and fought with everything had and suffer heavily for it. You don't do that you if thinking with game logic. You're the one making more out of it then it is. If other people can easily separate his humor from what his serious side you can.

I've already read somewhere that it seems story has been written by two different people and also that it suddenly jumps from serious to comedy. And obviously that I am not supposed to take it as parody, so yeah, I took his commentaries pretty serious.
Jul 1, 2016 1:57 PM
Jul 2018
beast_regards said:
iRels said:

It's called being needy and the stalker, he likes/loves the first girl that was nice to him. Which I think is actually realistic part of the character, but not really a good or admirable trait.

Emilia opinion on the matter, dunno, she probably don't have experience with many stalkers, she is shy and with little to no friends. And yea, there was maliciousness detector called Puck that assured her that he is good guy. And despite the fact spirits can detect maliciousness, Rem/Ram tried to kill him. Honestly, either Puck or Betty could tell them that he is incapable of maliciousness, hence he can't be evil spy cultist whatever, geez. But that isn't Subaru fault.

It however makes me think ... what would Puck say about other people in Subaru's situation when being needy stalker is a good thing?

"a person who stealthily hunts or pursues an animal or another person."

Subaru isn't stalking Emilia... She permitted him to stay beside her. As a friend. He was friend-zoned. Then he became practically, child-zoned. By how careless he was shown to be. In town, Emilia was helding him by the hand, like a mother does to her child, when shopping.
removed-userJul 1, 2016 2:01 PM
Jul 1, 2016 2:02 PM

Mar 2010
beast_regards said:
Jagd84 said:
No he didn't. Sure he made some meta references here there for light humor to pick his spirits up (which ranged from book to manga tropes), but that just it. He always took the situations he was in seriously and fought with everything had and suffer heavily for it. You don't do that you if thinking with game logic. You're the one making more out of it then it is. If other people can easily separate his humor from what his serious side you can.

I've already read somewhere that it seems story has been written by two different people and also that it suddenly jumps from serious to comedy. And obviously that I am not supposed to take it as parody, so yeah, I took his commentaries pretty serious.

I don't know hear that from but not true. Furthermore characters that have similar quirks ti Subaru have been around for ever. They tend to make light humor in non-serious moments, but get down when they need to. It's just one side to their character.
Jul 1, 2016 2:02 PM

Jan 2013
iRels said:
Subaru isn't stalking Emilia... She permitted him to stay beside her. As a friend. He was friend-zoned. Then he became practically, child-zoned. By how careless he was shown to be. In town, Emilia was helding him by the hand, like a mother does to a child, when shopping.

I believe this comment actually explains why he is a stalker, I will not copy-paste it.
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1526772&show=0#msg46667462

But honestly, makes me wonder, if story is that about realistic characters, what would Emilia (or better, intent detector as Puck) say about me? (other than I am idiot, of course, but judging my intelligence is obviously easier than judging my intent or dark side within me)
Or you?
Or any other person in this chat? As we are also real people you know.
Jul 1, 2016 2:08 PM

Jan 2013
Jagd84 said:
I don't know hear that from but not true. Furthermore characters that have similar quirks ti Subaru have been around for ever. They tend to make light humor in non-serious moments, but get down when they need to. It's just one side to their character.

Makes me wonder what other anime was so deep I couldn't understood it? Hard to say? SAO? No one tried to explain to me it is deep, so I don't think so. Hm, Kantai Collection perhaps? I got the same reaction. That was supposed to be deep and I didn't get it. Any other?
Jul 1, 2016 2:16 PM

Mar 2010
beast_regards said:
iRels said:
Subaru isn't stalking Emilia... She permitted him to stay beside her. As a friend. He was friend-zoned. Then he became practically, child-zoned. By how careless he was shown to be. In town, Emilia was helding him by the hand, like a mother does to a child, when shopping.

I believe this comment actually explains why he is a stalker, I will not copy-paste it.

But honestly, makes me wonder, if story is that about realistic characters, what would Emilia (or better, intent detector as Puck) say about me? (other than I am idiot, of course, but judging my intelligence is obviously easier than judging my intent or dark side within me)
Or you?

Stalkers do not go aruond dying for people. You fail to know what a stalker is actually like the moment forget this. Besides it's not like he was constanty following Emilia around disturbing her studies, peeking at her in the baths and all types typical invasive things an actual stalker would do in the 2nd arc. He was handling his own business or working while she did hers. The only reason he wanted stick clise to her in this arc is because it as he explained he can only help if something goes wrong when he's near her. Otherwise he can't get any infomation on what happened.
Jul 1, 2016 2:22 PM
Jul 2018
beast_regards said:
iRels said:

Or you?

Yeah, I saw. But to me he wants to stay beside her, because he wants to believe he's worthy of her. He'd feel bad about himself, if he did not. He'd consider himself inferior to those 'hot guys'. Being worthy of someone he believes to be so amazing, such as Emilia, makes him feel very good about himself.

We don't know his past yet. But like I said, he appeared defeated. Someone important to him might've told him he sucks and such.

He doesn't carries malice, as his intentions are good. They're positive. In my supposition above, he might've not really believed in what someone might've said about him. He then blamed the person, for misjudging him. For disregarding his good aspects. Emilia then became the chance to prove to himself that he's right. That he doesn't 'sucks'--for being a good, trustworthy person.
removed-userJul 1, 2016 2:26 PM
Jul 1, 2016 2:27 PM

Mar 2010
beast_regards said:
Jagd84 said:

Makes me wonder what other anime was so deep I couldn't understood it? Hard to say? SAO? No one tried to explain to me it is deep, so I don't think so. Hm, Kantai Collection perhaps? I got the same reaction. That was supposed to be deep and I didn't get it. Any other?

I didn't say anything about depth. The point I'm trying to make is the most good characters usually have more then one side to them partially so they aren't static (i.e 100% happy or 100% serious). Subaru is an earnest, outgoing, clever and courageous person, but he's also a bit of goofball that gets really emotional despite how much he tries to hide it with bravado.
Iron_MawJul 1, 2016 3:35 PM
Jul 1, 2016 2:36 PM

Aug 2015
Jagd84 said:
beast_regards said:

Or you?

Stalkers do not go aruond dying for people. You fail to know what a stalker is actually like the moment forget this. Besides it's not like he was constanty following Emilia around disturbing her studies, peeking at her in the baths and all types typical invasive things an actual stalker would do in the 2nd arc. He was handling his own business or working while she did hers. The only reason he wanted stick clise to her in this arc is because it as he explained he can only help if something goes wrong when he's near her. Otherwise he can't get any infomation on what happened.

It is amusing to me how much people like to distort this. Subaru's a stalker because he wants to be present when something bad happens -> he knows the details and then cap prevent it -> she's all well in the end. It seems some people want to ignore this fact. What that guy said makes sense from Emillia's perspective (and even so, it is very exaggerated), not from a viewer's perspective. The fuckup with the Julius knight IS the only valid argument,t he rest is complete bullshit.
"Vaut mieux se suffire à soi que finir assoiffé dans le monde des apparences."

Jul 1, 2016 2:48 PM

Mar 2010
Tony_SansNom said:
Jagd84 said:

It is amusing to me how much people like to distort this. Subaru's a stalker because he wants to be present when something bad happens -> he knows the details and then cap prevent it -> she's all well in the end. It seems some people want to ignore this fact. What that guy said makes sense from Emillia's perspective (and even so, it is very exaggerated), not from a viewer's perspective. The fuckup with the Julius knight IS the only valid argument,t he rest is complete bullshit.

I think some of those people actually know that, but are intentionally twisting his intentions because they never liked Subaru to begin with and took this as an opportunity to bash him and the show. Low-hanging fruit basically.
Iron_MawJul 1, 2016 3:37 PM
Jul 1, 2016 11:15 PM

Jul 2011
This niggas annoying asf!!!

He is obsessed with the elf bitch and has absolutely no reason to be at all. "emilia tan you saved me" this shit is retarded, all she did was drive those lil thugs away you don't owe her that much.

He gets teleported to this world but he does nothing to find out why he is there or how to fix it

all he tryna do is help the cute girls who clearly can fend for themselves

that knight put him in his place and thank god he did
Jul 2, 2016 3:06 AM

Jan 2013
iRels said:
Yeah, I saw. But to me he wants to stay beside her, because he wants to believe he's worthy of her. He'd feel bad about himself, if he did not. He'd consider himself inferior to those 'hot guys'. Being worthy of someone he believes to be so amazing, such as Emilia, makes him feel very good about himself.

It's quite contrary, he constantly considers himself above others, belittles others as NPC's, is rude and can't show respect to others, can't recognise the rank and position within society. He acted as jealous stalker and jumped on where some male decided to talk to him object of obsession.
Jul 2, 2016 5:04 AM

Aug 2012
He was a bit annoying here and there starting the second arc but this episode. He made me cringe. I haven't cringed this hard in a long time. The amount of cringing was so intense that I had to take breaks.

Why introduce yourself in such an unprofessional idiotic way in an important event?

You get an idea of how bad it is when the person who looks like a clown is cringing.
Jul 2, 2016 9:36 AM
Jul 2018
beast_regards said:
iRels said:

It's quite contrary, he constantly considers himself above others, belittles others as NPC's, is rude and can't show respect to others, can't recognise the rank and position within society. He acted as jealous stalker and jumped on where some male decided to talk to him object of obsession.

He considers, ignoring facts. He's escapism. But he can't ignore always. When he became jealous, it was for someone that isn't even interested in him. Julius was above him at the time. He kissed Emilia when Subaru never could. There was also when Emilia had to discuss, with Subaru not being allowed. He couldn't ignore these, making him feel below others. He wasn't pleased.

By the way, when I replied to you about plot devices... I wasn't even sure about what it was. But the wikia gave examples of it being more about an object. Like the One Ring in The Lord of the Rings.

And: https://www.writersstore.com/character-driven-or-action-driven/

Subaru's being driven by both action and character. Now plot device... I think the insignia qualified as, when Subaru and Emilia were working to get it back. But it only added to what there already was.

But I'm not much 'into it'. People that are, should understand better these terms.
removed-userJul 2, 2016 10:11 AM
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1724 by ShadowkillZ »»
Yesterday, 10:23 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2016

589 by ShadowkillZ »»
Yesterday, 3:39 AM

» What happened to Emilia’s votes?

KillLaKillGOAT - May 29

7 by Phloup »»
May 29, 8:55 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2016

1373 by kakaronie »»
May 28, 9:09 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2016

617 by AnimatedAddict »»
May 26, 9:43 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.