Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 20, 2016 4:31 PM
Jan 2016
Crashmatt said:
Can't believe it scores lower than Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut which is a big pile of shit and the worst show I'm still watching this season. I don't think it's as good as Muv Luv but it's a decent show.

I think allot of people dropped it within the first 3 episodes which were far from great. The show improves hugely after this point but people didn't stick around to find out.

Nah, it's totally way better than Total Eclipse, but if you're talking about the original Muv-luv series like Extra, Unlimited, Alternative, it's obviously better than Total Eclipse and Schwarzes Marken, watch as it updated it scores.
Mar 20, 2016 7:08 PM

Apr 2014
Am I in the minority when I say I enjoy the show and think it's a 7/10 despite not watching Eclipse or Muv Luv? Learning more about the BETA seems superfluous. What merit would it serve if we knew their purpose or beyond what the show has offered? Beyond knowing they are hostile aliens, it's unnecessary to know more for the show to function and excel. The focus of the show really isn't about fighting the BETA and saving humanity. It's more about finding engagement in the interactions between the cast and the issues presented. Schwarzesmarken is essentially a drama, which puts an emphasis on how things happen as opposed to what happens.

For everyone who said the pacing was off, care to explain? It seemed fine to me.

My overall opinion of the show:
Schwarzesmarken is an engaging plot-driven show revolving around the drama that ensues the protagonist. The ideas were good but required more time to be fully developed. The show presents too many concepts in too little time. Schwarzesmarken would have benefited greatly from a 24 episode set-up. However, for what it does, it is still an enjoyable show that outweighs its negatives.

Intonsum said:
The first episodes were so boring for me, but now it's getting interesting. I guess a lot of people were turned down by low expectations for this because of shitty pace in the beginning.

Read the above

Drobie said:
Pace feels off, I don't care about any of the characters nor do I like them, I don't care about politics for these fake nations nor do I think it's as well done as people say, the fights are short and boring, the animation is average to below, the spy aspect is a bit annoying with the sister. I would say a 6 is generous.

That's just me though, I have it at a 4 at the moment since it's leaning more negative than positive for me in value.

The politics seems believable. I mean Germany was once under a dictatorship. I can see it happening again under such dire circumstances.

The action and fights are really just a compliment for the show. The fights in particular aren't meant to thrill you. The focus is more on drama as I mentioned above.

How is the spy aspect annoying? It seemed perfectly foreshadowed and pretty fitting to me.

psychoalchemist said:
It's probably the politics. I'm still watching and am mildly engaged, but a lot of the forced tension (especially with Gretel ugh) is insufferable. I like the fights though, and I like the concept of rebelling against a corrupt government institution, so that's why I'm still watching.

The tension with Gretel doesn't seem forced. It's reasonable but just needs a bit more elaboration. Now, the tension (love) between Lise and Theodor seemed rushed. Her resentment of Irisdina and sleeping with Theodor was foreshadowing but there needed to be one concise piece of evidence as it seemed kind of unclear. For both of these characters, I would have liked to see more implicit detail.

Also, the instability in the Stasi was brought up out of no where. We were never made aware of another Stasi party. Some ideas did need more development and foreshadowing for a higher score but for what it is, it's still good and functional.

-Maz said:
It isn't a show deserving of a higher score.
Bear in mind that if you actually know how to use the 1-10 rating scale, a 6.69 score is perfectly fine. It's above-average.

As for my personal issues with this anime - the politics and drama detract from it, for me. The original Muv Luv deviated from the BETA - rather than having some last-ditch war to preserve humanity, we got beach episodes, a harem and a shounen-esque battle tournament.
Here in Schwarz, we're getting teen drama and some (for me) boring politics. In neither of these have the BETA been the main focus, which is counter-intuitive to the entire premise. It's one thing to have the politics and BETA having equal importance and occurring concurrently, but this is only a single cour. Neither side of this is going to get a decent amount of development.

It also doesn't help that the villains are so boringly clear cut, as well. The Stasi must breathe evil, look evil, speak evil, and every action they take must be insufferably EVILLLLLLLLLL.
Sigh. It doesn't feel remotely believeable. At first I found the "Cold War never officially ended" dynamic to be quite interesting, but they've absolutely butchered it. Rather than making each side seem like they have their own valid reasonings for their thinking, they've just made the Stasi seem like crazed lunatics Hell-bent on destruction and corruption.
I mean, when you have massive echelons of space aliens charging towards your base, switching all your focus into undermining your political opponent makes next to zero sense. It's one thing to take advantage of the confusion; it's another entirely to completely brush aside any threat that the BETA pose.

If this keeps on until the end, I'll probably end up giving this a 5/10 - I'm finding it better than Muv Luv Alternative but this is still really average and medicore.

If you haven't already, read the above.

The problem with the 6.69 score is that it's the MAL equivalent of 3-4/10.

The BETA was never the main focus. It's more like they are part of the world building for the drama the ensues. I dare say that the show would be drastically worse if they did place a focus on the BETA.

I wouldn't say it's teen drama. You can easily replace the cast with older people and say it's mature. The concepts are applicable for both ages.

I think your exaggerating a bit on the Stasi. It was implied that they were corrupt but they weren't explicitly over the top evil as you suggested. You can can't consider it 'evil' if it's part of their jobs. It can only be considered so if their job was absurdly unreasonable but that is clearly not the case. They play a fundamental role in protecting the country.

The Stasi do have motives behind their actions. They essentially want complete control over the government. Doesn't sound too unreasonable in the scenario provided, does it?

In the first case where they arrested the officers, the 666 squad were working with the other nations so the arresting the officers wasn't detrimental. In the 2nd case where they shot the building, the threat was already almost neutralised and they were still working with the other nations so it didn't matter.

Freestyle80 said:
Because they like shit like Grimgar( or fanservic shit like high school dxd ) where the main cast has no idea wtf they are doing and each episode is a musical lol

Yeah, Grigmar is actually good lol. People are turned off by the slow pacing but that's just subjective. The pacing is pretty appropriate for the story. I just hate Shihoru because she's a useless character. She could probably be omitted and there would be little difference.

soluuloi said:
frenze12 said:

It's not the mecha's, just look at Sidonia no Kishi's score.

To be honest, Sidonia's score is way too low. Other than than the choppy framerate of the first few episodes, it's a flawless sci-fi anime (not just mecha) but it's not even in 8-ish rank, way lower than SAO copies such as Overlord where fanboys masturbate to their fantasy of being the strongest in a game world and enjoy cliché harem of a overpowered main character.

Sidonia season 1 is horrible. It's unoriginal and it's masked behind a unique setting so no one notices it. Don't you notice how cliche the story is? They are under attack by aliens. Random op protagonist appears that barely anyone knows about. Protagonist wrecks everything gaining unprecedented accomplishments. The show never deviated from that formula. Sidonia s1 was horrible. S2 was good because it went beyond that formula and brought up interesting elements.

I don't even know how Aldnoah Zero has such a high score. I have it rated as 3/10. It's utter garbage. I don't believe MAL has a particular bias against mecha. They know most of them are bad but that doesn't affect their opinion.
dissipatedMar 20, 2016 8:31 PM
Mar 20, 2016 7:19 PM
Jul 2018
sadpwner said:

Drobie said:
Pace feels off, I don't care about any of the characters nor do I like them, I don't care about politics for these fake nations nor do I think it's as well done as people say, the fights are short and boring, the animation is average to below, the spy aspect is a bit annoying with the sister. I would say a 6 is generous.

That's just me though, I have it at a 4 at the moment since it's leaning more negative than positive for me in value.

The politics seems believable. I mean Germany was once under a dictatorship. I can see it happening again under such dire circumstances.

The action and fights are really just a compliment for the show. The fights in particular aren't meant to thrill you. The focus is more on drama as I mentioned above.

How is the spy aspect annoying? It seemed perfectly foreshadowed and pretty fitting to me.

The politics are bland with basic details.

If the action doesn't compliment the show .If they are not meant to thrill me, they are useless, which makes the show worse.

Spy stuff is fine if it's done well. The spy was obvious which makes it annoying.You say "foreshadowed" but it's more like blatantly obvious lazy storytelling with black and white characters.
Mar 20, 2016 7:56 PM

Apr 2014
Drobie said:
sadpwner said:

If the action doesn't compliment the show .If they are not meant to thrill me, they are useless, which makes the show worse.

Spy stuff is fine if it's done well. The spy was obvious which makes it annoying.You say "foreshadowed" but it's more like blatantly obvious lazy storytelling with black and white characters.

The politics is basic but it's fine as it as. I don't see merit in making it overly detailed and complex. The viewers just need to understand the state of the country to follow the plot.

The action does compliment the show though. I worded that wrong. The action isn't meant to be 'bad ass' was what I meant to say.

I would have to agree with your final statement. The characters are pretty basic, but the show is way more plot-driven then it is character. We just need them to be consistent. Yes, the show would be better if they had more time to go over the characters but for what the show has so far, it's worth 6.6/10 IMO which rounds up to 7.

Btw, I've only seen up to ep 9.
Mar 20, 2016 8:52 PM
Jul 2018
sadpwner said:
Drobie said:

The politics is basic but it's fine as it as. I don't see merit in making it overly detailed and complex. The viewers just need to understand the state of the country to follow the plot.

The action does compliment the show though. I worded that wrong. The action isn't meant to be 'bad ass' was what I meant to say.

I would have to agree with your final statement. The characters are pretty basic, but the show is way more plot-driven then it is character. We just need them to be consistent. Yes, the show would be better if they had more time to go over the characters but for what the show has so far, it's worth 6.6/10 IMO which rounds up to 7.

Btw, I've only seen up to ep 9.

Yeah your point is fine on the politics, if it wasn't for people praising the politics, which are basic and nothing special.

The actions feels like lazy filler to me at least.

Seeing your question being what it originally was, the way you scored it, you should know exactly why it's scored in the 6 range.

I moved my scoring of it to a 3/10 but I try my best to use 5 as an average so it's not as bad as it looks. It has enjoyable moments but I have too many complaints to give it anything more than a strong 3.
Mar 20, 2016 9:34 PM
Jan 2014
Episode 10 of Schwarzesmarken is easily better than any of Grimgar and Erased's episodes (IMO). Sorry if I offended anyone.

I still like Grimgar though, and Konosuba remains top tier for the season.

Erased is overrated unexplained shit, but I love Kayo and Saturu's mom. They just don't deserve to be in such a terribly written story.

Stein's;Gate has a much boring first half than Schwarzesmarken's, but was advertised quite well by the translated source material and reaction videos. Unfortunately the 2nd half of the Schwarzesmarken VN isn't out yet and the 1st half isn't translated.

In addition, Muv-Luv Trilogy fans are very critical in rating side stories and always base on how close the stories/feels are to the main series' themes, especially because it was ripped off by Attack on Titan -- they expect age/ixtl to step up their game and try to prove better but has been failing so far.

The only thing reliable really on MAL are the ratings per episode, and it's definitely going well I say. I gave it a 10 to balance out the prejudiced votes somewhat despite having my discontentment on some aspects.

Drobie said:
I moved my scoring of it to a 3/10 but I try my best to use 5 as an average so it's not as bad as it looks. It has enjoyable moments but I have too many complaints to give it anything more than a strong 3.

How do you even evaluate an anime, I'm quite confused with your list... ^^;
Mar 20, 2016 10:03 PM
Jul 2018
CynicalBritannia said:

Drobie said:

How do you even evaluate an anime, I'm quite confused with your list... ^^;

I really don't know how to answer that, is that supposed to be some sort of slam? Explain what's confusing...

I evaluate based on critical and subjective motions. 5 usually being an equal amount of negative and positive with anything above being more positive and below being more negative.

Giving this a 10 and giving erased a 1 is a lot more drastic than anything on my list pal.
removed-userMar 20, 2016 10:07 PM
Mar 20, 2016 10:07 PM

May 2015
Well, a lot of the time it feels like they are being dark and edgy for shock value, as well as the fact that it's part of the Muv-Luv universe and people who didn't read the VNs aren't as likely to understand what's going on. Then there's the fact that it wasn't well adapted and the pacing seems to be off.
Mar 20, 2016 10:47 PM
Jan 2014
Drobie said:

Giving this a 10 and giving erased a 1 is a lot more drastic than anything on my list pal.

Eh, ratings on an unfinished anime means nothing o_o -- people just do it for the heck of it, and cannot be taken seriously. I'd probably rate 8-9 for Schwarzesmarken and 6-8 for Erased, depending on how both series ends. Erased don't have anything really anymore to explain for its bullshit based on source material other than put us into lala land, but if the anime original pulls something unexpected -- well let's see. I can't vote it out of my liking for Kayo and Saturu's mom alone, the story functions as a whole after all!

KaoruMatsuoka said:
Well, a lot of the time it feels like they are being dark and edgy for shock value, as well as the fact that it's part of the Muv-Luv universe and people who didn't read the VNs aren't as likely to understand what's going on. Then there's the fact that it wasn't well adapted and the pacing seems to be off.

Dark and edgy for shock value? If you mean the fodders at the beginning -- well that can't be helped, it's a war anime. I'm actually disturbed by pretentious war anime where almost nobody dies like Total Eclipse's Episode 3 up to the end.

The real deal starts when the main team's dying, and you should know this after catching up with the episodes.

I do agree that throwing the terms GDR/TSF/Stasi all the way can be quite a chore if you're not familiar with Muv-Luv and war in general, but my non-Muv-Luv friends were able to cope with it pretty fast -- you can get by the story ignoring the terms and such according to them, just like sadpwner.
Mar 21, 2016 12:13 AM
Jul 2018
CynicalBritannia said:
Drobie said:

Eh, ratings on an unfinished anime means nothing o_o -- people just do it for the heck of it, and cannot be taken seriously. I'd probably rate 8-9 for Schwarzesmarken and 6-8 for Erased, depending on how both series ends. Erased don't have anything really anymore to explain for its bullshit based on source material other than put us into lala land, but if the anime original pulls something unexpected -- well let's see. I can't vote it out of my liking for Kayo and Saturu's mom alone, the story functions as a whole after all!
I don't think Erased is nearly as good as people praise it to be, however I could never understand setting as a 1 other than the fact that you are letting the praise affect your scoring a judging it solely on the idea of countering. Same thing you're currently doing with Schwarzesmarken. However if you plan to change it I guess it's all moot anyway.
Mar 21, 2016 12:26 AM

Apr 2014
Drobie said:
CynicalBritannia said:

I don't think Erased is nearly as good as people praise it to be, however I could never understand setting as a 1 other than the fact that you are letting the praise affect your scoring a judging it solely on the idea of countering. Same thing you're currently doing with Schwarzesmarken. However if you plan to change it I guess it's all moot anyway.

He used extreme scores to tip the average score more closely to what he considered correct. They aren't his true scores.

Drobie said:

Seeing your question being what it originally was, the way you scored it, you should know exactly why it's scored in the 6 range.

Not really, like I said, 6/10 for MAL is the equivalent of 3-4/10 if you were to use the whole scale. I've given it a 6.6 momentarily which should translate to an average of 7.6-8 on MAL.
Mar 21, 2016 1:39 AM
Jul 2018
sadpwner said:
Drobie said:

He used extreme scores to tip the average score more closely to what he considered correct. They aren't his true scores.

Drobie said:

Not really, like I said, 6/10 for MAL is the equivalent of 3-4/10 if you were to use the whole scale. I've given it a 6.6 momentarily which should translate to an average of 7.6-8 on MAL.

Using the system to do that is petty and not a good excuse tbh.

I think your judgement is off on how MAL scores work but okay.
Mar 21, 2016 1:44 AM

Apr 2014
Drobie said:

Not really, let's have a look at your scores. I randomly selected a few popular shows of your list.

You gave D.Gray-man a 6. Mal gave it an 8.2.

You gave Soul eater a 6. Mal gave it an 8.11.

You gave Deadman Wonderland a 6. Mal gave Deadman Wonderland a 7.54.

See the trend? MAL is generally 1-2 points higher than a person who rates from 0-10.
Mar 21, 2016 1:49 AM
Jul 2018
sadpwner said:
Drobie said:

Not really, let's have a look at your scores. I randomly selected a few popular shows of your list.

You gave D.Gray-man a 6. Mal gave it an 8.2.

You gave Soul eater a 6. Mal gave it an 8.11.

You gave Deadman Wonderland a 6. Mal gave Deadman Wonderland a 7.54.

See the trend? MAL is generally 1-2 points higher than a person who rates from 0-10.

I understand what you are saying and tend to agree in general. But when most things range in a 7 for the majority and it goes down to a 6, I don't think you can look at it as drastically as a 3-4. At best I would drag it down to a 5 for the average person who takes the whole scale seriously. I just have it lower because it actively annoyed me a few times.
Mar 21, 2016 2:00 AM

Apr 2014
Drobie said:

I understand what you are saying and tend to agree in general. But when most things range in a 7 for the majority and it goes down to a 6, I don't think you can look at it as drastically as a 3-4. At best I would drag it down to a 5 for the average person who takes the whole scale seriously. I just have it lower because it actively annoyed me a few times.

Alright then, back to your list we go. Once again, I randomly selected popular shows.

You gave Nabari no Ou a 4. MAL gave it a 7.47.

You gave Blood-C a 3. MAL gave it a 6.74.

You gave School days a 3. MAL gave it a 6.26.

It's my bad partially that I didn't mention that the difference from a 6 and a 7 on MAL is drastic. Shows only receive the 6-7 score when MAL thinks it's horrendous.
Mar 21, 2016 2:15 AM
Jul 2018
sadpwner said:
Drobie said:

Alright then, back to your list we go. Once again, I randomly selected popular shows.

It's my bad partially that I didn't mention that the difference from a 6 and a 7 on MAL is drastic. Shows only receive the 6-7 score when MAL thinks it's horrendous.

This isn't proving your point to me. I still think you are effectively looking at this wrong. Those shows were terrible and got decent scores overall and most who rate on a 1-10 I know rated them higher than me so.. . Those three you chose are terrible examples. But we are just going to have to agree to disagree cause we obviously look at how MAL works differently.

Point overall being I think this show is placed where it should be either way. It's nothing special. But you like it and that's just fine and good. Not everything you like is going to be popular with the general audience. It has "such a low score" because others think more negatively than positively about it. It's that simple.
removed-userMar 21, 2016 2:19 AM
Mar 21, 2016 2:30 AM

Apr 2014
Drobie said:
sadpwner said:

This isn't proving your point to me. I still think you are effectively looking at this wrong. Those shows were terrible and got decent scores overall and most who rate on a 1-10 I know rated them higher than me so.. . Those three you chose are terrible examples. But we are just going to have to agree to disagree cause we obviously look at how MAL works differently.

Point overall being I think this show is placed where it should be either way. It's nothing special. But you like it and that's just fine and good. Not everything you like is going to be popular with the general audience. It has "such a low score" because others think more negatively than positively about it. It's that simple.

No, we don't have to agree to disagree. We can get to bottom of this easily as long as you keep answering. Be rational and don't avoid the question.

I used you as a reference point because you agree with your own scores. By denying the use of yourself as a reference point, you are basically saying your scores are inaccurate.

most who rate on a 1-10 I know rated them higher than me so.. .

Who might they be? I'll use them too then. Also, the opposite can be said, there are people who rate lower than you as well. For example, when we compare our shared means, my average is 0.8 points lower than yours. How do you know you rate lower than most people? That's just a guess based on the people you've met.

Why are the examples terrible? In addition, tell me what I should pick so I can fit your criteria.

Irrelevant in our current discussion.
Mar 21, 2016 2:43 AM
Jul 2018
@sadpwner

My ratings are not inaccurate, your chosen examples the second time were.

At this point you are nitpicking and going after an entirely different point than your thread. You want to delve deeper feel free to pm me. Don't imply I am not being rational. It's not going to make me interested in discussing my opinion with you.

My final point wasn't irrelevant seeing as that's the point of this thread.

Edit: a word
removed-userMar 21, 2016 3:07 AM
Mar 21, 2016 3:45 AM
Jan 2014
Drobie said:
I could never understand setting as a 1 other than the fact that you are letting the praise affect your scoring a judging it solely on the idea of countering. Same thing you're currently doing with Schwarzesmarken. However if you plan to change it I guess it's all moot anyway.

I stopped caring when Erased got removed from top 5. Like, how dare it try to be close to Stein's; Gate? xD
but now it's out of the top 10, I can rate it normally again.
==============

With that said, waaaayyy too many people (inside and outside the thread) have been unnaturally coming up with plenty of (nearly) bs reasons as to why Schwarzesmarken sucks /it's not even funny/ when most of them have a questionable anime li--- ok let's not get into that.

But really guys, you can just be honest and say it's because of the waifu/husbando art direction. Characters aren't drawn the way you're used to, and on a desolated forever winter environment on top of that.

If the characters were drawn in a mainstream style with more boob shine and wonderfully done anatomically correct fortified suits (and 2012 kawaii uguu faces), I doubt it will get the same treatment at all. I mean people finished Valvrave and Total Eclipse despite having a much horrendous story for this reason. That's the reality of anime nowadays isn't it?

Let's just admit it. If Horo for example was drawn in a Linden manner, Spice and Wolf would also get shit for it. If Oreimo also had this kind of art direction, it will also get shit for it and be dropped by many. If Grimgar also had this kind of art direction, it will be ignored as well.

tl;dr anime watchers nowadays are so shallow and likes to bandwagon a lot. Like people waited for Erased episode 11 before they were like "Is it alright to hate it now? Yes let's do it!"
Jeez /rant
====
Anyway I'm done here and shared a piece of my mind.
CynicalBritanniaMar 21, 2016 4:00 AM
Mar 21, 2016 5:55 AM
Jan 2013
They execute it poorly, it sucks!!
Mar 21, 2016 6:45 AM

Mar 2009
Because it lacks "MLA" in the MAL title, so MAL purists are angry that they can't further promote the website due to the series' acronym's similarity to MAL, and therefore downvote it like crazy.

#trufax

OT: I think it's just the regular underappreciation for titles with no particular pedigree staff-wise, even with the big franchise it is attached to.
I personally liked it more than I expected, as a standalone and barring the comparison with the VNs.
ManjuuMar 21, 2016 6:49 AM
Mar 21, 2016 7:31 AM
Jan 2014
Manjuu said:
Because it lacks "MLA" in the MAL title, so MAL purists are angry that they can't further promote the website due to the series' acronym's similarity to MAL, and therefore downvote it like crazy.

#trufax

I like you
Manjuu said:

OT: I think it's just the regular underappreciation for titles with no particular pedigree staff-wise, even with the big franchise it is attached to.
I personally liked it more than I expected, as a standalone and barring the comparison with the VNs.

They have Shinn Asuka for Theodor, Yukarin for Beatrix, and Nanjo/Eri from Love Live for Lise.
They should've focused on animation budget instead of going for celebs really. Anime Beatrix can be voiced by any evil sounding milf and it would be just fine. ==;
Mar 21, 2016 7:35 AM

Oct 2014
Becsuse its boring as f.
Mar 21, 2016 7:49 AM

Mar 2009
CynicalBritannia said:

They should've focused on animation budget instead of going for celebs really. Anime Beatrix can be voiced by any evil sounding milf and it would be just fine. ==;
I must've sounded vague there when I mentioned staff, but yep, I was referring to the relative unpopularity of the studio and immediate staff behind it, not particularly the VAs. I personally still find the animation for this better than Satellight's Total Eclipse, though...
Mar 21, 2016 8:43 AM
Jan 2014
xRhai said:
Becsuse its boring as f.

It puzzles me how a fellow comrade who voted Stein's;Gate a 10 can be bored so easily, when S;G's first half was much worse -- It picks up similarly on the 2nd half so probably give it a chance?

Manjuu said:
I personally still find the animation for this better than Satellight's Total Eclipse, though...

I also prefer the art style of Schwarzesmarken, as it's not meant to be fan service at all and gives the war atmosphere more value.

Total Eclipse on the other hand has a beach and onsen episode, pilots suiting up, and revealing their body parts just because -- but that's just it. The BETA are poorly animated and there are scaling problems. The ships look like lollego.
Yet, you see people giving it a 9 or 10 star review saying the art is top notch xD
Mar 21, 2016 7:22 PM

Dec 2010
sadpwner said:
His squad just happens to be filled with girls which is plausible.

... Please. Spare me.
Mar 22, 2016 1:10 AM

Apr 2014
hansuchan said:
sadpwner said:
His squad just happens to be filled with girls which is plausible.

... Please. Spare me.

????

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belief_bias
Mar 22, 2016 2:47 AM
Jul 2018
CynicalBritannia said:
Drobie said:
I could never understand setting as a 1 other than the fact that you are letting the praise affect your scoring a judging it solely on the idea of countering. Same thing you're currently doing with Schwarzesmarken. However if you plan to change it I guess it's all moot anyway.

I stopped caring when Erased got removed from top 5. Like, how dare it try to be close to Stein's; Gate? xD
but now it's out of the top 10, I can rate it normally again.
==============

With that said, waaaayyy too many people (inside and outside the thread) have been unnaturally coming up with plenty of (nearly) bs reasons as to why Schwarzesmarken sucks /it's not even funny/ when most of them have a questionable anime li--- ok let's not get into that.

But really guys, you can just be honest and say it's because of the waifu/husbando art direction. Characters aren't drawn the way you're used to, and on a desolated forever winter environment on top of that.

If the characters were drawn in a mainstream style with more boob shine and wonderfully done anatomically correct fortified suits (and 2012 kawaii uguu faces), I doubt it will get the same treatment at all. I mean people finished Valvrave and Total Eclipse despite having a much horrendous story for this reason. That's the reality of anime nowadays isn't it?

Let's just admit it. If Horo for example was drawn in a Linden manner, Spice and Wolf would also get shit for it. If Oreimo also had this kind of art direction, it will also get shit for it and be dropped by many. If Grimgar also had this kind of art direction, it will be ignored as well.

tl;dr anime watchers nowadays are so shallow and likes to bandwagon a lot. Like people waited for Erased episode 11 before they were like "Is it alright to hate it now? Yes let's do it!"
Jeez /rant
====
Anyway I'm done here and shared a piece of my mind.
I care a lot more about characters with depth than I do about designs. I think my reasons for a low rating on this show are not BS. The rest will be spoilered just incase I accidentally say something.

Do you think you have a tad bit of bias towards this show because you work for muvluvseries game as a community manager? Or at least that's what the twitter said you had connected to your account yesterday. So instead of calling most people's opinions BS and belittling how they feel. Why not explain what's so good about the show and counter our opinions, just maybe it will open our eyes to what you see in it.
Mar 22, 2016 3:32 AM
Jan 2014
Drobie said:

I care a lot more about characters with depth than I do about designs. I think my reasons for a low rating on this show are not BS. The rest will be spoilered just incase I accidentally say something.

Do you think you have a tad bit of bias towards this show because you work for muvluvseries game as a community manager? Or at least that's what the twitter said you had connected to your account yesterday. So instead of calling most people's opinions BS and belittling how they feel. Why not explain what's so good about the show and counter our opinions, just maybe it will open our eyes to what you see in it.

Well admittedly it's kinda impossible not to have a biased perspective since I've already played the games and couldn't just magically forget all the details on my end. I could only talk to my friends who haven't played the original Muv-Luv trilogy and ask their opinion -- they call this series "bad" but very enjoyable by the least.

Whether I'm just an average puny subhuman or president of a company working with the creators, it still doesn't change my opinion that the criticisms are unnaturally excessive or overly critical while being forgiving of other series which have more bs.

Drobie said:

Characters a bland and unlikeable, by that I mean they are black and white with little meaningful development. I don't care who dies and who lives, I feel no attachment to any of them. "

Putting these in a spoiler as well:

Some interesting fact about the aliens or fantasy elements in war anime like GATE,
siliconera.com/2015/10/30/koki-yoshimune-on-making-muv-luv-characters-lovable/ -- ( ctrl+f "war guilt" )
The authors are obliged to include them if they want to tell a story with war being present, that's why mecha are almost always a must.
I did hope for more BETA action myself, but as soon as I found out from other fans that they'll switch to Pvp, I felt it was kind of meh... xD (mostly because the main trilogy focused on humanity vs BETA)

Edit: Word and Eggs
CynicalBritanniaMar 22, 2016 6:01 AM
Mar 22, 2016 2:02 PM
Sep 2010
I agree this is really underrated by MAL standards.

Pretty good drama and action, albeit not the best plot but not a bad one other. Much better than the random Gundam shows I tried watching and utter shit like Aldnoah Zero. Would rate 6-7/10 but I rate 1-10 unlike most MAL people.
Mar 22, 2016 2:15 PM
Jan 2016
Unfortunately, all of this is lacking from the anime most likely because it's only 12 episodes and also because its to act as a both a recap and a bridge from the 1st VN to the 2nd VN, which releases sometime after the anime finishes airing. It's not designed to tell the whole story, but it's also neutered with the short amount of episodes it has to tell everything else.

Overall, it has the most important plotpoint, and wanting it more of these instead of non-important plot that are waste of episodes.
Mar 22, 2016 6:40 PM
Jul 2018
CynicalBritannia said:

Well admittedly it's kinda impossible not to have a biased perspective since I've already played the games and couldn't just magically forget all the details on my end. I could only talk to my friends who haven't played the original Muv-Luv trilogy and ask their opinion -- they call this series "bad" but very enjoyable by the least.

Whether I'm just an average puny subhuman or president of a company working with the creators, it still doesn't change my opinion that the criticisms are unnaturally excessive or overly critical while being forgiving of other series which have more bs.
The game might be fun and great, but that won't change the fact that the anime is lacking. My point to even bring it up is you tend to discredit others because they don't share your opinion. Unlike OP who is generally curious you just seem like a fanboy.

I'm also interested -- If you gave this a 3, how much would you rate Total Eclipse?
Actually nevermind, I saw you've rated Aldnoah 7 and 5 respectively. So much for character depth I guess? xD I mean Inaho seriously lacked some eggs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9h7dsmO38c
Pal this is just childish, don't attempt to discredit me by going after my other scores. Makes you look weak. I have plenty of justification to how I rated my other shows. But this is about Schwarzesmarken...

Some interesting fact about the aliens or fantasy elements in war anime like GATE,
siliconera.com/2015/10/30/koki-yoshimune-on-making-muv-luv-characters-lovable/ -- ( ctrl+f "war guilt" )
The authors are obliged to include them if they want to tell a story with war being present, that's why mecha are almost always a must.
I did hope for more BETA action myself, but as soon as I found out from other fans that they'll switch to Pvp, I felt it was kind of meh... xD (mostly because the main trilogy focused on humanity vs BETA)

I know how the industry works. But I can't tell you if the author is to blame, the novel could have more detail and make the BETA work for all I know (haven't read it), the show didn't do that.
removed-userMar 22, 2016 6:43 PM
Mar 22, 2016 8:53 PM
Jan 2014
Drobie said:

The game might be fun and great, but that won't change the fact that the anime is lacking. My point to even bring it up is you tend to discredit others because they don't share your opinion. Unlike OP who is generally curious you just seem like a fanboy.

Just gonna straighten this out -- I'm talking about me having played the main trilogy.
I've played Schwarzesmarken's first game but that's untranslated and I could only understand some of the Japanese I've studied thus far.

I've no idea how the 2nd half of Schwarzesmarken VN would compare to the anime since it's not out yet, so all episodes 6 to 11 are actually new to me. Muv-Luv is also set in Japan while Schwarzesmarken's on Germany -- so there are a whole bunch of terms I'm unfamiliar with.

Muv-Luv fans are 50/50 iffy/happy with this series, and I'm helping OP comprehend why it's possibly ranked down like how other people assume it's bad with no further explanations.

Everything I've said below at the
"=============="
is meant as a generalization/theory like what others do -- saying reasons without much explanations and moving on, and you were just coincidentally quoted along with it. So it was not meant specifically for you alone at all.

Yet you made a comeback and justify when I thought you already posted the deadhorse gif like I thought you were leaving already pretty soon.

In case you didn't know -- A/Z's one of the top trainwreck trash (along with Valvrave, Guilty Clown etc), and that fact's known quite well in the community like some stated above. But you gave it a 7 and 5 respectively! How can you ask people to just ignore that?

Pal this is just childish

Calling me a fanboy isn't. Okay xD

Anyway, what's bothering me really is you're giving Schwarzesmarken very critical analysis about its plot, politics and whatsoever like you're trying to sound you care so deep enough for the legitimacy/realism and believable characters, but that instantly goes down the drain when people see your scoring for lala landia story mecha anime where things happen just because.

Can I just disagree with you that this is lower than A/Z and we can just leave it at that?
Unless you're finding our conversations productive at this point.
CynicalBritanniaMar 22, 2016 9:12 PM
Mar 22, 2016 9:42 PM

Jan 2008
CynicalBritannia said:
Drobie said:

Just gonna straighten this out -- I'm talking about me having played the main trilogy.
I've played Schwarzesmarken's first game but that's untranslated and I could only understand some of the Japanese I've studied thus far.

I've no idea how the 2nd half of Schwarzesmarken VN would compare to the anime since it's not out yet, so all episodes 6 to 11 are actually new to me. Muv-Luv is also set in Japan while Schwarzesmarken's on Germany -- so there are a whole bunch of terms I'm unfamiliar with.

Muv-Luv fans are 50/50 iffy/happy with this series, and I'm helping OP comprehend why it's possibly ranked down like how other people assume it's bad with no further explanations.

Everything I've said below at the
"=============="
is meant as a generalization/theory like what others do -- saying reasons without much explanations and moving on, and you were just coincidentally quoted along with it. So it was not meant specifically for you alone at all.

Yet you made a comeback and justify when I thought you already posted the deadhorse gif like I thought you were leaving already pretty soon.

In case you didn't know -- A/Z's one of the top trainwreck trash (along with Valvrave, Guilty Clown etc), and that fact's known quite well in the community like some stated above. But you gave it a 7 and 5 respectively! How can you ask people to just ignore that?

Pal this is just childish

Calling me a fanboy isn't. Okay xD

Anyway, what's bothering me really is you're giving Schwarzesmarken very critical analysis about its plot, politics and whatsoever like you're trying to sound you care so deep enough for the legitimacy/realism and believable characters, but that instantly goes down the drain when people see your scoring for lala landia story mecha anime where things happen just because.

Can I just disagree with you that this is lower than A/Z and we can just leave it at that?
Unless you're finding our conversations productive at this point.

Hey fellow Muv-Luv mate, let's not go any further than that cuz he doesn't really know too much about the franchise, so let's leave it at that.

animevortexNG said:
Unfortunately, all of this is lacking from the anime most likely because it's only 12 episodes and also because its to act as a both a recap and a bridge from the 1st VN to the 2nd VN, which releases sometime after the anime finishes airing. It's not designed to tell the whole story, but it's also neutered with the short amount of episodes it has to tell everything else.

Overall, it has the most important plotpoint, and wanting it more of these instead of non-important plot that are waste of episodes.

Exactly, the novel are meant to tell the whole story as there are way more backstories for each characters, that's what anime are used to advertise and get ppl interest in the original source. Let's just say like Akame ga KILL anime is one used as an advertisement for the manga.
Mar 22, 2016 9:53 PM
Jul 2018
CynicalBritannia said:

"=============="

I knew what you meant by the === but I found it silly to dismiss people's opinions based on what you wrote generalizing the people who dislike this show.

The dead horse idiom had nothing to do with the current discussion. It was strictly at OP at that point.

So I can just say I disagree with you that this is lower than A/Z and we can just leave it at that. Unless you're finding our conversations productive at this point.
Sure you can, stopped thinking this was productive the moment you started bringing up other shows.

planetwarrior said:
Hey fellow Muv-Luv mate, let's not go any further than that cuz he doesn't really know too much about the franchise, so let's leave it at that.
I mean as long as it's about the 11 episodes aired I am plenty knowledgeable and that's the only thing that matters here.
removed-userMar 22, 2016 10:00 PM
Mar 22, 2016 10:30 PM

Jan 2008
planetwarrior said:
I mean as long as it's about the 11 episodes aired I am plenty knowledgeable and that's the only thing that matters here.

I see what you meant.
Mar 23, 2016 4:51 AM
Apr 2015
My main problem with the entire muv-luv verse is the fact that despite countless of times the message of "humanity must unite or we are doomed" gets ignored, shot down, etc. You never see any progress and the closest one would get to that is what Beatrice wanted in Schwarzenmarken.

It makes you question "what is the point in all of this?".
It doesn't stick, there is no lesson to be learned other that humans once again are evil bastards that can't put their desires aside for the survival of the human race against an almighty enemy.

As for anime itself it feels much closer to akame ga kill, which isn't compliment. Character devellopment (if any) feels static and more like a infodump from time to time. Theodor was supposed be very paranoid and anti-social thx to his past. But we never got to see him actually develloping into that persona. What happened to him after he got caught by the stasi? What made him becoming a TSF pilot? How did he meat Irisdina? What was his drive? etc.

It's even worse for the secondary characters, how am i supposed to care about them when they can't even properly show case the main character? And then we have the villians who are showed killing of civilians/others with a happy slasher smile... Only to make them mumble something about order/ideals/love 10 episodes later... lol.
Mar 23, 2016 5:18 AM
Feb 2015
frenze12 said:
My main problem with the entire muv-luv verse is the fact that despite countless of times the message of "humanity must unite or we are doomed" gets ignored, shot down, etc. You never see any progress and the closest one would get to that is what Beatrice wanted in Schwarzenmarken.

It doesn't stick, there is no lesson to be learned other that humans once again are evil bastards that can't put their desires aside for the survival of the human race against an almighty enemy.

Which is what makes this series great. Human are selfish by nature we do things mainly for ourselves. Even if one is told that robbing a bank is wrong, people will still do it regardless. Same as that.

This is way better than Naruto which just goes communication successful, hatred gone, peace attain BS. Muv-Luv depicts good and bad as the opposite side of a coin and correlate them together. They clearly show there's no definite right or wrong in this series. One may argue that sacrificing hundreds to save millions is wrong, same may not. Some views their country more important than humanity as a whole. In a sense, those people aren't wrong either. Just they have different views, and from the viewers side they may just seem stupid only but if you consider from their own perspective, they're doing what they believe is right too. The only thing that exist here is there's a clear cut difference between a correct opinion and a correct decision.
Mar 23, 2016 5:33 AM
Apr 2015
ixarising said:
frenze12 said:

Which is what makes this series great. Human are selfish by nature we do things mainly for ourselves. Even if one is told that robbing a bank is wrong, people will still do it regardless. Same as that.

This is way better than Naruto which just goes communication successful, hatred gone, peace attain BS. Muv-Luv depicts good and bad as the opposite side of a coin and correlate them together. They clearly show there's no definite right or wrong in this series. One may argue that sacrificing hundreds to save millions is wrong, same may not. Some views their country more important than humanity as a whole. In a sense, those people aren't wrong either. Just they have different views, and from the viewers side they may just seem stupid only but if you consider from their own perspective, they're doing what they believe is right too. The only thing that exist here is there's a clear cut difference between a correct opinion and a correct decision.

I call it pointless, you already know how it's going to end... Naruto is retarded yes, but atleast it "tried" to opt for way that doesn't involve killing each other. Unlike the latter.

Everbody dies the end. Now lets watch something else.
Mar 23, 2016 5:51 AM
Jan 2014
Brobie said:
I rate for me, I don't care what the popular opinion is. But to humor you, you know this is a 6.70 and A/Z is at 7.73, just pointing that people seem to generally enjoy A.Z more.

Okay, I'll stop being so toxic from this point, I just have a natural hate on MAL users since before and Erased made it worse.

People including myself are attracted by the art and staff involved, A/Z was really hype by the first few episodes and ended up as a mindfck. Season 2 came along and it was literally an insult to the viewers and so I dropped it by the first episode of S2.
Even if I "enjoyed" A/Z, I'm pretty aware of all the bs it pulled and rates it to where I think it should belong for the sake of consistency.
You can see the substantial helpful reviews given in Aldnoah being 5 or below. People will still watch it anyway for the art and hilarity of it being so bad that it's good as recommended by friends.

On the other hand, Schwarzesmarken lacks the animation quality it needs and started off rather weak admittedly, and MAL tend to throw ratings pretty early. ANN also makes reviews on the first 2 episodes for winter guide and people pretty much follow them as if the reviewers were prophets.

People doing reaction videos and reviews would see the series' ratings and won't bother anymore or do a negative review to amplify the negative effect further. It's also why I think the scoring's low and the series being underrated/outside the radar for many.

You claim yourself to be an exception and have legitimate reasons to rate Schwarzesmarken lower than A/Z by 2-4 points then that's fine -- that's your own rating.

If you feel like justifying why, then go ahead. My generalization is that people are a sucker for art and you said you care about character depth more than the designs.

If you want to finish what's in the spoiler, I'll try to make it a productive discussion as much as possible since I'm curious as well.

planetwarrior said:

Ok, gonna try to wrap it up properly...

toasterstrudel said:
I can understand where non-VN readers are coming from given that I didn't like Fate UBW having not read the VN, but anyone watching this without having read Muv-Luv is doing themselves a disservice.

Yup, and there's that. Frankly without episodes 9 and 10 this would be around 5-6 for me. In terms of feels, nothing really beats those 2 episodes for the season for me (having watched highly rated shows such as Grimgar and Erased). They said Dimension W and DRRR was pretty good but I haven't exactly watched them.
Mar 23, 2016 1:57 PM
Jul 2018
CynicalBritannia said:

Okay, I'll stop being so toxic from this point, I just have a natural hate on MAL users since before and Erased made it worse.
Great, i'll stop with the pointed criticism myself then.

Aldnoah.Zero big spoilers

On the other hand, Schwarzesmarken lacks the animation quality it needs and started off rather weak admittedly, and MAL tend to throw ratings pretty early. ANN also makes reviews on the first 2 episodes for winter guide and people pretty much follow them as if the reviewers were prophets.
I picked it up day one since I am trying to watch more mecha to diversify. I would say the animation/art of the show is the least of the issues I personally have. It's not bad, it's average which is fine.

If you feel like justifying why, then go ahead. My generalization is that people are a sucker for art and you said you care about character depth more than the designs.
I honestly do, I rate animation/art last when I scale things.

But yeah i'll pm you later so we don't fill this up anymore unnecessarily.
Mar 27, 2016 9:40 AM

Aug 2013

m8, is this b8?
Grimgar it's the most realistic RPG-themed anime ever existed. The team could barely kill a goblin. And they've teached us how to beat them.
Goblin slayer simulator 2016.

yah 'teached' us that how all the nubs think in the mmos i played, amirite?

srsly speaking though, this genre is not supposed to be 'realistic' and it aint realistic as to how dense the main cast can be at times, look at the other guy who started off at the same time as them and look where he ended up
Mar 27, 2016 10:55 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
toasterstrudel said:
Muv-Luv fan here, apologies if what I say has already been said in thread or seems trite and common knowledge.

MAL has an anti-mecha bias

lesser known shows tend to get watched by people who give harsher scores than the average MAL user.

MAL ratings are largely meaningless.

I can understand where non-VN readers are coming from given that I didn't like Fate UBW having not read the VN, but anyone watching this without having read Muv-Luv is doing themselves a disservice.

Schwarzesmarken is at a 6-7 for me on a 10 point scale.

Definitly helps to enjoy alot more, when you are a fan of the VN series.

Also, a 6-7 isnt a bad score at all, that would have to be around 4.
Mar 27, 2016 1:40 PM

Jul 2013
Yes at first I was like why the low score until the first few episodes. This is shit compared to muv-luv total eclispe which was WAY much better. bland story, lack of character and action is lacking
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 27, 2016 2:06 PM
Jan 2016
Renaultclio101 said:
Yes at first I was like why the low score until the first few episodes. This is shit compared to muv-luv total eclispe which was WAY much better. bland story, lack of character and action is lacking

Wrong, that is also shit as well. Muv-luv Extra/Unlimited/Alternative, as main trilogy are 50x better than Total Eclipse, and are 20x better than Schwarzesmarken. If you're talking bout overall series between the 2, Schwarzesmarken beats the shit out of Total Eclipse in terms of storyline, character development, and unexpected actions by 30x more.
animevortexNGMar 27, 2016 2:23 PM
Mar 27, 2016 2:54 PM

Jul 2013
animevortexNG said:

Wrong, that is also shit as well. Muv-luv Extra/Unlimited/Alternative, as main trilogy are 50x better than Total Eclipse, and are 20x better than Schwarzesmarken. If you're talking bout overall series between the 2, Schwarzesmarken beats the shit out of Total Eclipse in terms of storyline, character development, and unexpected actions by 30x more.

Well I haven't played the other series which I am talking about the anime series. Care to explain why the story is better since from what I have seen is rushed,character blandness and the unexpected actions was predictable. I like how Total Eclipse had some slice of life moments as well as action. In addition, The annoying characters in this series just even makes it unbearable but I can still endure
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 27, 2016 3:06 PM
Jan 2016
Renaultclio101 said:
animevortexNG said:

Well I haven't played the other series which I am talking about the anime series. Care to explain why the story is better since from what I have seen is rushed,character blandness and the unexpected actions was predictable. I like how Total Eclipse had some slice of life moments as well as action In addition, The annoying characters in this series just even makes it unbearable but I can still endure.

Had some slice of life moments? It had way more than actions, which were a waste in a series, which it stays faraway from the main storyline more while Schwarzesmarken story is rushed, but the story stays on the subjects at least. I'm sorry to say, Total Eclipse characters are even more blandness and annoying than Schwarzesmarken, they act like highschool students as if they were on highschool while Schwarzesmarken is much more realistic as they feel in a real military area with war going on.
animevortexNGMar 27, 2016 3:50 PM
Mar 27, 2016 3:14 PM
Jan 2014
Renaultclio101 said:
animevortexNG said:

Well I haven't played the other series which I am talking about the anime series. Care to explain why the story is better since from what I have seen is rushed,character blandness and the unexpected actions was predictable. I like how Total Eclipse had some slice of life moments as well as action. In addition, The annoying characters in this series just even makes it unbearable but I can still endure

This. This is what Muv-Luv fans such as myself hate a lot about Total Eclipse (Episode 3 onward).
Total Eclipse misguided the viewers what Muv-Luv is actually all about.
It's hard to explain and you have to go through the visual novel trilogy to fully understand why Schwarzesmarken is a better representation.

As for the story itself, I have read TE and... I'm pretty sure once you've read it, you'll be pretty disappointed especially if you're shipping Yuuya x
Mar 28, 2016 12:21 AM
Feb 2015
Been having the same question for a while now but now that I think about it everything I find good stupid Mal rates it lower and everything Mal rates High I find bad. I can say Mal and Japan have very different taste from me everything they find good is considered to overrated which I don't like :| but what can I do I'm one of the very few people who think this and I'm pretty sure Schwarzesmarken will keep dropping on here ( which I hope doesn't happen )
Mar 28, 2016 1:11 AM

May 2014
So much shit flinging.

I enjoyed both TE and Schwarzesmarken. Now I do agree Schwarzesmarken is quite underrated, and I'm surprised it's slightly below a 7 at this point.

But hey, all that matters is whether you enjoy it or not. I disagree with ratings on this site quite often.
Typing on an ipad is like driving carpentry nails with a sledgehammer.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2016

173 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 25, 2023 8:10 AM

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2016

78 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 25, 2023 7:58 AM

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2016

176 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 25, 2023 2:14 AM

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2016

115 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 24, 2023 10:28 PM

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2016

76 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 23, 2023 6:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.