Apr 2013
bigivelfhq said:
EverydayIfight said:
> Huge
> Being adapted by Madhouse

Lmao.

> Death Note
> NANA

While those 2 were huge back then, it's true that in the last 5/6 years Madhouse hasn't adapted any manga (so no NGNL or Overlord) which then turned into a huge success. I'd guess it has not much to do with Madhouse itself, but more with the manga they adapt not being prone to become a mega-hit. One Punch Man is definitely a good way to see which is the real case. It has a lot of potential to become a top seller, so if it does't maybe there really is a Madhouse curse (or more like Madhouse having no advertisement...)
I very much doubt it, but you never know.
geraltSep 10, 2015 1:26 PM
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Sep 10, 2015 1:23 PM

Aug 2013
AdmiralKizaru98 said:
EverydayIfight said:

What? how is their gross relevant?

Strong World = Brought in new fans and had 400k backlog sales each volume I think
World Z = No new fans to bring in such a short time.

Dude you know that before the strong world movie there were like 10 other movies. wh didnt they boost it like you say

Because those were standard Jump movies with no particular hype or advertisment like Strong world?

Strong World was the first one piece movie to be advertised as Oda being involved in it, Naturally that generated hype and advertisement.
Sep 10, 2015 1:24 PM

Oct 2013
EverydayIfight said:
^ ignoring the fact that it's only the ''top dog'' because of the boost from the movie, that brought more than half a million of new fans.

The boost is more like 1.5-1.8 Million during 3 years. Also it wasn't only "top dog", because of the movie, it was already before.
Sep 10, 2015 1:27 PM

Jun 2015
Agafin said:
Attributing all of One Piece's boost to the movie is silly, I think it's a combination of both the manga content back then and the heavy movie promotion. Dismissing the impact of the movie altogether is silly too.

@Kizaru
Maybe Film Z didn't create any further boost because One Piece had peaked?

Okay you have the final argument from me. The Srong World Movie was brought in Theaters in 2009. One Piece had 15 Million Sales that year. Then when Marineford Arc started in 2010 it had 30 million sales, and the Movie was long gone from advertising and from the theaters. Then in 2011 One Piece had 37 million sales , when Marineford arc was in the middle in the Anime and the big end had happened in Manga and the big Timeskip happeded. The film was in theaters for like 2 months or so in 2009, so how you wanna say tell me that it was because of the Movie. Definitely the movie boosted a little bit but thats it, like 90 percent came from the things in Anime and manga.
Sep 10, 2015 1:27 PM

Aug 2013
bigivelfhq said:
EverydayIfight said:
^ ignoring the fact that it's only the ''top dog'' because of the boost from the movie, that brought more than half a million of new fans.

The boost is more like 1.5-1.8 Million during 3 years. Also it wasn't only "top dog", because of the movie, it was already before.

1.5 per volume you mean?

No, it got beaten several times by NANA, Death Note, Vagabond, Nodame, and some others I forgot.

Before the 2009 boosts. Even in Jump It was below both Slam Dunk and Dragonball, had more volumes than them but was still below them in total volume sales, let alone the volume average.
Sep 10, 2015 1:28 PM

Apr 2013
bigivelfhq said:
EverydayIfight said:

In 2008, it apparently sold about 6 million, which while good is far from the juggernaut One Piece is now.
5. Is it actually good?

Sep 10, 2015 1:29 PM

Apr 2014
EverydayIfight said:
moodie said:
this is funny because new madhouse is actually making better financial hits then old madhouse

Lol no. I find it ironic how you shitpost and pretend you know your shit about sales and the industry when you are more ignorant than the others.

Old madhouse:
1998) 19,418 Cardcaptor Sakura (カードキャプターさくら)
(2006) 15,021 DEATH NOTE
(2002) 10,998 Chobits (ちょびっツ)
(2006) *7,376 NANA
(1999) *7,745 Di Gi Charat
(1998) *5,816 TRIGUN

new Madhouse
(2014) 11,887 Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
(2014) *8,316 No Game No Life (
(2010) *6,875 HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD
(2012) *4,773 Oda Nobuna no Yabou
(2014) *3,648 Hanayamata (ハナヤマタ) [3/6 Vols]
(2013) *4,045 Diamond no Ace
(2013) *3,235 Chihayafuru 2

Old madhouse clearly had more hits.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=781179&show=20#post37
lol u cherry picked thats nice

but if u look at all the sales u can see the trend

hun remember ur looking at the aggregate not the micro...its funny how u think u know anything about the industry by justifying ur false info
Sep 10, 2015 1:29 PM

Aug 2013
AdmiralKizaru98 said:

Okay you have the final argument from me. The Srong World Movie was brought in Theaters in 2009. One Piece had 15 Million Sales that year. Then when Marineford Arc started in 2010 it had 30 million sales, and the Movie was long gone from advertising and from the theaters. Then in 2011 One Piece had 37 million sales , when Marineford arc was in the middle in the Anime and the big end had happened in Manga and the big Timeskip happeded. The film was in theaters for like 2 months or so in 2009, so how you wanna say tell me that it was because of the Movie. Definitely the movie boosted a little bit but thats it, like 90 percent came from the things in Anime and manga.

I like how you ignored this:
metsujin said:
AdmiralKizaru98 said:

You just dont understand do you how can a movie that grossed 55 million Strong World) dollars boost muuuuuuch more than a movie with (75 Film z) million gross

It says on wikipedia that

"The promotions surrounding Strong World boosted the sales of the One Piece manga during the week of December 7 through 13, causing all 56 then published volumes to be listed in Oricon's Top 200 chart of weekly Japanese manga sales."

Based on this
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1323425
One Piece 14 mil in 2009

And this
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1323427
One Piece 32 mil 2010

And the annual sales start from November 2009 to November 2010, the movie released in December 2009.. now you do the math.

So thanks to that movie One Piece has more fans.
Sep 10, 2015 1:30 PM

Apr 2014
AdmiralKizaru98 said:
Agafin said:
Attributing all of One Piece's boost to the movie is silly, I think it's a combination of both the manga content back then and the heavy movie promotion. Dismissing the impact of the movie altogether is silly too.

@Kizaru

Strong world was released in theaters in december so all the boost from it was carried over to 2010 and 11.
Sep 10, 2015 1:31 PM

Jun 2015
EverydayIfight said:
bigivelfhq said:

1.5 per volume you mean?

No, it got beaten several times by NANA, Death Note, Vagabond, Nodame, and some others I forgot.

Before the 2009 boosts. Even in Jump It was below both Slam Dunk and Dragonball, had more volumes than them but was still below them in total volume sales, let alone the volume average.

Before 2009 sales are really not accurate. You wanna tell me that in 1999 no series sold more than 1 million overall, because the charts say that, which you use to argument.
Sep 10, 2015 1:31 PM

Aug 2013
moodie said:
ol u cherry picked thats nice

hun remember ur looking at the aggregate not the micro...its funny how u think u know anything about the industry by justifying ur false info

''lol i talk like a moron''

I put the biggest hits from both era's..

I like how you proved I'm wrong by simply saying I'm wrong. Please teach me more about the industry, Master Shitposter-sama.
Sep 10, 2015 1:33 PM

Jun 2015
Z4k said:
AdmiralKizaru98 said:

Strong world was released in theaters in december so all the boost from it was carried over to 2010 and 11.

Omg no the movie wasnt even seen that much. it wasnt hyped so much because of only advertisemnt , the hype came from One Pieces peak right there.
Sep 10, 2015 1:34 PM

Jun 2015
EverydayIfight said:
moodie said:

I like how you proved I'm wrong by simply saying I'm wrong. Please teach me more about the industry, Master Shitposter-sama.

Dude what is your goal in this Argument, you only bash on everyone here thats not thinking the same as you.
Sep 10, 2015 1:36 PM

Aug 2013
AdmiralKizaru98 said:
EverydayIfight said:

1.5 per volume you mean?

Before 2009 sales are really not accurate. You wanna tell me that in 1999 no series sold more than 1 million overall, because the charts say that, which you use to argument.

How arbitrary. Prove it with some factual evidence, not just speculation and assumptions.

And I'm not even using that chart or oricon. Before 2009, total volume sales of Jump Dragonball and Slam Dunk was above one piece.
Sep 10, 2015 1:36 PM

Apr 2014
AdmiralKizaru98 said:
Z4k said:

Omg no the movie wasnt even seen that much. it wasnt hyped so much because of only advertisemnt , the hype came from One Pieces peak right there.

Are you serious? The movie made 50 million dollars so of course it was seen by many people.
Sep 10, 2015 1:37 PM

Jun 2015
Anyway One Piece is the biggest Manga series of all time so its not really important if you think it got its sales this way or the other. :D

Jun 2013
I don't get why the denial that the movie help boost the sales, it's not that it's something bad... well for other series it is I guess, but for One Piece is a good thing.

Aug 2013
AdmiralKizaru98 said:

Dude what is your goal in this Argument, you only bash on everyone here thats not thinking the same as you.

Why do you care? it's not relevant to your ''one piece'' agenda anyway, LOL.

metsujin said:
I don't get why the denial that the movie help boost the sales, it's not that it's something bad... well for other series it is I guess, but for One Piece is a good thing.

Because if that giant boost came from the ''quality'' of an arc from the manga itself, it elevates the status of one piece even further. Which is his whole agenda being a one piece fanboy. He attacked the manga sales club because his beloved one piece wasn't shown with high sales and was beaten in other years, calling it inaccurate and what have you.

One Piece fans, sigh.
Sep 10, 2015 1:41 PM

Jun 2015
metsujin said:

I dont deny i only say its mostly because of Marineford and timeskip and the movie in the right time too. But not only because of the movie because there never was a movie boosting One Piece sales even the Ones which grossed more than strong world.
Sep 10, 2015 1:42 PM

Jun 2015
EverydayIfight said:
AdmiralKizaru98 said:

Why do you care? it's not relevant to your ''one piece'' agenda anyway, LOL.

metsujin said:

Because if that giant boost came from the ''quality'' of an arc from the manga itself, it elevates the status of one piece even further. Which is his whole agenda being a one piece fanboy. He attacked the manga sales club because his beloved one piece wasn't shown with high sales and was beaten in other years, calling it inaccurate and what have you.

One Piece fans, sigh.

oh you wanna tell me that the sales were accurate there ?

Aug 2013
Common sense is a foreign concept for some :o

Apr 2014
EverydayIfight said:
moodie said:

u right

but the decline isnt as big as people are making it out to be...mb i just compared the numbers...i was going by estimates not math
Sep 10, 2015 1:43 PM

Jun 2013
AdmiralKizaru98 said:
metsujin said:

I dont deny i only say its mostly because of Marineford and timeskip and the movie in the right time too. But not only because of the movie because there never was a movie boosting One Piece sales even the Ones which grossed more than strong world.

Dude the only movie that grossed more than Strong World is Film Z, and at the time One Piece's fanbase already grew up A LOT. As some stated here, if you look at the Strong World's box office over 50 mil people went to see it... Now I'd say it's pretty hard to print that many copies in just one year so...

Aug 2013
moodie said:
EverydayIfight said:

u right

but the decline isnt as big as people are making it out to be...mb i just compared the numbers...i was going by estimates not math

yeah

Oct 2013
EverydayIfight said:
bigivelfhq said:

1.5 per volume you mean?

Vagabond -> 1998(1st year of One Piece)
NANA -> 2005
Death Note, Nodame Cantabile -> 2006

So it was the top dog in

This is 9 years at the top before Strong World. Also notice that the 3 years right before the Movie it was 1st. So tell me how it wasn't the Top Dog?

Dragon Ball ended in 1995, Slam Dunk ended in 1996. 2 and 1 year before One Piece, respectively. So why bringing them, when their volumes weren't even selling, significantly during that time. Also note that One Piece surpassed Slam Dunk best volume 1st print record as soon as 2002.
Sep 10, 2015 1:44 PM

Jun 2015
metsujin said:
AdmiralKizaru98 said:

Dude the only movie that grossed more than Strong World is Film Z, and at the time One Piece's fanbase already grew up A LOT. As some stated her, if you look at the Strong World's box office over 50 mil people went to see it... Now I'd say it's pretty hard to print that many copies in just one year so...

It grossed 50 million dollars not people you kidding:D if it would be 50 million half japan youldve seen it. :DDDD
Sep 10, 2015 1:45 PM

Jun 2014
AdmiralKizaru98 said:
Agafin said:

@Kizaru

Okay you have the final argument from me. The Srong World Movie was brought in Theaters in 2009. One Piece had 15 Million Sales that year. Then when Marineford Arc started in 2010 it had 30 million sales, and the Movie was long gone from advertising and from the theaters. Then in 2011 One Piece had 37 million sales , when Marineford arc was in the middle in the Anime and the big end had happened in Manga and the big Timeskip happeded. The film was in theaters for like 2 months or so in 2009, so how you wanna say tell me that it was because of the Movie. Definitely the movie boosted a
little bit but thats it, like 90 percent came from the things in Anime and manga.

That's how a boost works. The movie was the trigger which set the boost and positive Word of Mouth propagate it. That's where the content is important, since most people actually tried and became OP fans since they liked it.
One Piece sold better in 2011 because it's a long manga and people bought it gradually, simple as that.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-04-14/one-piece-anime-sets-record-tv-rating-of-13.8-percent

From Fall of 2006 to Spring of 2009, One Piece's ratings largely stayed close to 10.0%. After publicity grew for the 10th One Piece film, television episode #421 earned a record post-move high rating (at the time) of 12.0% on October 11. Throughout last month, One Piece stayed at 11.9% or higher.

The movie was the trigger so it's a 50/50 deal.
Sep 10, 2015 1:46 PM

Jun 2013
AdmiralKizaru98 said:
metsujin said:

Dude the only movie that grossed more than Strong World is Film Z, and at the time One Piece's fanbase already grew up A LOT. As some stated her, if you look at the Strong World's box office over 50 mil people went to see it... Now I'd say it's pretty hard to print that many copies in just one year so...

It grossed 50 million dollars not people you kidding:D if it would be 50 million half japan youldve seen it. :DDDD

It made $54,974,136 DOLLARS
Sep 10, 2015 1:47 PM

Jun 2015
bigivelfhq said:
EverydayIfight said:

1.5 per volume you mean?

NANA -> 2005

So it was the top dog in

This is 9 years at the top before Strong World. Also notice that the 3 years right before the Movie it was 1st. So tell me how it wasn't the Top Dog?

Dragon Ball ended in 1995, Slam Dunk ended in 1996. 2 and 1 year before One Piece, respectively. So why bringing them, when their volumes weren't even selling, significantly during that time. Also note that One Piece surpassed Slam Dunk best volume 1st print record as soon as 2002.

Why you all youse that One thing with vagabond, i dont say one piece was first but you cant know because the chart from then is soooooo inaccurate the best selling manga has like 800k in a year with all volumes together thats like 1 /10 of the real sales.
Sep 10, 2015 1:48 PM

Jun 2015
metsujin said:
AdmiralKizaru98 said:

It made $54,974,136 DOLLARS

Thats what i was saying?
Sep 10, 2015 1:49 PM

Jun 2013
AdmiralKizaru98 said:

Thats what i was saying?

Misspelled and miss read my bad. Point is the movie did help the manga a lot.
Sep 10, 2015 1:50 PM

Aug 2013
bigivelfhq said:

NANA -> 2005

So it was the top dog in

Eh what?
1999 > Meitantei Conan, Rurouni Kenshin
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1378429
2001 > Vagabond
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1373118

7 years. I'm comparing One Piece now to one piece before that boost.

Now:
1st at the end year consistently
1st at total volume sales

Then:
not as consistent
not first at total volume sales

Because I was including total volume sales.Who cares about prints. It had more volumes than it, but lower sales.

Without the movie boost, would one piece be as dominate now? No, not even close <<<< my point
Sep 10, 2015 1:50 PM

Jun 2015
metsujin said:
AdmiralKizaru98 said:

Thats what i was saying?

Yes it did but not THAT much like you say because even Naruto Movies gross almost that much its nothing special.
Sep 10, 2015 1:52 PM

Apr 2014
AdmiralKizaru98 said:
metsujin said:

Yes it did but not THAT much like you say because even Naruto Movies gross almost that much its nothing special.

Because the manga ended? And it did help the backlog sales btw.
Sep 10, 2015 1:52 PM

Jun 2013
AdmiralKizaru98 said:
metsujin said:

Yes that much, didn't you see my post? Or you ignore it? Thanks to all the hype around it, the company had to reprint a lot of volumes at the time... come on man wtf..
Sep 10, 2015 1:53 PM

Aug 2013
lol
Sep 10, 2015 1:53 PM

Jun 2015
EverydayIfight said:
bigivelfhq said:

NANA -> 2005

So it was the top dog in

Eh what?
1999 > Meitantei Conan, Rurouni Kenshin
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1378429
2001 > Vagabond
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1373118

7 years. I'm comparing One Piece now to one piece before that boost.

Now:
1st at the end year consistently
1st at total volume sales

Then:
not as consistent
not first at total volume sales

Because I was including total volume sales.Who cares about prints. It had more volumes than it, but lower sales.

Without the movie boost, would one piece be as dominate now? No, not even close <<<< my point

Your opinion is invalid because One Piece IS the best selling manga of all time by far and has all records for sales of any kind also the anime ratings are incredible too. Also notice that One Piece has the record for the highest 100 million selling manga, in 8 years to be concrete, so that means that One Piece was the best muuuuuch before the movie.
Sep 10, 2015 1:54 PM

Apr 2014
lol I think I'm going to stop. This is getting ridiculous.
Sep 10, 2015 1:56 PM

Jun 2013
Z4k said:
lol I think I'm going to stop. This is getting ridiculous.

Same.. either he's a troll or just a extreme fanboy... I can't deal with this anymore.

Jun 2015
metsujin said:
AdmiralKizaru98 said:

Yes that much, didn't you see my post? Or you ignore it? Thanks to all the hype around it, the company had to reprint a lot of volumes at the time... come on man wtf..

How ? when One Piece sold the 30 millions and 37 millions it was only in the theaters for 2 months after that it goes away. And notice how One Piece sold more in 2011 than in 2010 despite the movie being closer to 2010. It was because in 2011 the final of marineford happend and the new world satrted it was all hype.

Oct 2013
AdmiralKizaru98 said:
Z4k said:

It was both! The boost started in Sabaondy Island in 2008. We know that before the Movie it broke the record of 1st print(that was is) 1 time, with volume 56 printing 2.85 Million, with the movie it got a reinforcement to the already existent boost, getting around 500k new reader in 2010( and continuing until 2012.

In the end the boost was due to the amazing combination of Manga-Anime-Movie.
Sep 10, 2015 1:57 PM
Apr 2014
One Piece may be the best selling manga in total sales, but it isn't the best selling per Vol average.

That goes to Black Jack.

Yeah it may be off subject but I just wanted to say that. One Piece ain't the only series to break records.
AquaWateriaSep 10, 2015 2:24 PM
Sep 10, 2015 1:57 PM

Jun 2015
bigivelfhq said:
AdmiralKizaru98 said:

It was both! The boost started in Sabaondy Island in 2008. We know that before the Movie it broke the record of 1st print(that was is) 1 time, with volume 56 printing 2.85 Million, with the movie it got a reinforcement to the already existent boost, getting around 500k new reader in 2010( and continuing until 2012.

In the end the boost was due to the amazing combination of Manga-Anime-Movie.
YESSSSS FINALLLLYY thats what im talking
Sep 10, 2015 1:59 PM

Jun 2015
AquaWateria said:
One Piece may be the best selling manga in total sales, but it isn't the best selling per Vol average.

That goes to Black Jack.

Yeah it may be off subject but I just wanted to say that.

Yeah i know but it also had muuch more time to sell those volumes :D
But youre right Black Jack is another Phenomenon
Sep 10, 2015 1:59 PM

Apr 2013
Agafin said:
That's how a boost works. The movie was the trigger which set the boost and positive Word of Mouth propagate it. That's where the content is important, since most people actually tried and became OP fans since they liked it.
One Piece sold better in 2011 because it's a long manga and people bought it gradually, simple as that.

This is the most reasonable argument that has been made about this. How else could a manga sell 70 million volumes in 2 years otherwise? The movie is definitely what led the 500k people to try it out, but if they hadn't enjoyed what they read, they would have stopped catching up to the series which clearly didn't happen.
5. Is it actually good?

Sep 10, 2015 2:00 PM

Oct 2013
AdmiralKizaru98 said:
bigivelfhq said:

NANA -> 2005

So it was the top dog in

Why you all youse that One thing with vagabond, i dont say one piece was first but you cant know because the chart from then is soooooo inaccurate the best selling manga has like 800k in a year with all volumes together thats like 1 /10 of the real sales.

Not going with that, but with the Japanese One Piece wikipedia. Also the fact that it was the fastest Manga to reach 100 Million, and the fact that in 2002 it beat the record of 1st print not 1, not 2, but 3 times. And the print numbers that are correct during those times.
Sep 10, 2015 2:01 PM

Jun 2015
bigivelfhq said:
AdmiralKizaru98 said:

Not going with that, but with the Japanese One Piece wikipedia. Also the fact that it was the fastest Manga to reach 100 Million, and the fact that in 2002 it beat the record of 1st print not 1, not 2, but 3 times. And the print numbers that are correct during those times.

Oh yes.
Sep 10, 2015 2:01 PM

Feb 2013
AquaWateria said:

That goes to Black Jack.

No it's not, wikipedia is wrong, check their sources,
they come from this:
http://www.mangazenkan.com/ranking/books-circulation.html

It's not 176 mil copies, but 45 million
Plz way too many people still believe that it somehow sold 176 million copies
Sep 10, 2015 2:03 PM
Sep 2013
TheNextChamp said:
AquaWateria said:

That goes to Black Jack.

they come from this:

Actually no. Apparently those 176 are worldwide. Somehow it sold more than inside Japan.

Without taking into account Black Jack. Dragonball has the higgest average worldwide.
Sep 10, 2015 2:04 PM

Jun 2015
TheNextChamp said:
AquaWateria said:

That goes to Black Jack.

they come from this:

Wow this makes so much clear right now. It was really strange to me with lie 10 million sales per volume. This seems much more right Also the Japan and outside sales seem to be correct too. Thank you very much.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Singer-Songwriter Sayuri Dies at 28 ( 1 2 )

Vindstot - Sep 26

94 by FMmatron »»
1 hour ago

» 'Girls Band Cry' Gets Two-Part Compilation Movie

Vindstot - Sep 13

16 by Tacsk0 »»
1 hour ago

» 'Sousou no Frieren' Gets Second Season ( 1 2 )

Vindstot - Today

72 by BetaMaleUltra »»
2 hours ago

» 'Akuyaku Reijou Tensei Ojisan' Reveals Supporting Cast, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Sep 26

3 by Fabris »»
3 hours ago

» 'Maou-sama Retry! R' Announces New Cast and Staff, 2024 Premiere

DatRandomDude - Mar 15

8 by Megadoomer125 »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.