Forum Settings
Forums

'Oyasumi Punpun' Licensed for North America

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 28, 2015 1:58 AM

Mar 2014
Can't express how happy I am. A manga that is a definite top ten, finally licensed. Fuck yeah!!
Jul 30, 2015 9:52 PM

Jan 2015
Awesome to hear it's getting licensed in English. Gonna buy this as soon as possible.

I sort of knew it had to be because it's so great, still ecstatic nevertheless!
Aug 1, 2015 7:44 AM

Feb 2014
My prayers have been answered!!!! Finally can own a physical copy of my favorite manga in my native tongue. Asano deserves so much recognition, glad to see it's happening. :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 1, 2015 10:35 AM

Jan 2012
Awesome!!!
you sound poor
Aug 2, 2015 6:24 PM

May 2015
tybg
Aug 3, 2015 12:37 AM
Jul 2018
Paulo27 said:
Another one of this hack's works gets licensed, great.

As somebody who has SAO and AnoHana in their favourites, I'm afraid your opinion is invalid.
Aug 3, 2015 7:46 PM
Dec 2011
Wish they targeted something else. The series turned trash in the second half and there are no reason to like any of the characters unless you're an actual drop-kick IRL.
Aug 3, 2015 8:03 PM

Feb 2012
this is good news
Aug 3, 2015 10:11 PM

Oct 2013
Mazaev said:
Wish they targeted something else. The series turned trash in the second half and there are no reason to like any of the characters unless you're an actual drop-kick IRL.
who said you "have" to like the characters of a fiction work for it to be considered good?
Aug 3, 2015 10:13 PM
Dec 2011
UnoPuntoCinco said:
who said you "have" to like the characters of a fiction work for it to be considered good?

Well it is a character driven series all of whom have shit sub-plots. so what else do you judge it off apart from the cheap photographic-art style?
Aug 3, 2015 10:17 PM

Oct 2013
Mazaev said:
UnoPuntoCinco said:

Well it is a character driven series all of whom have shit sub-plots. so what else do you judge it off apart from the cheap photographic-art style?
Nice loaded queston there, m8
Aug 3, 2015 10:44 PM
Dec 2011
Good answer, I've never seen a fanboy hit a brickwall as hard as you just did.
Aug 3, 2015 10:51 PM

Oct 2013
y-you too
Aug 5, 2015 7:43 AM

May 2015
Mazaev said:
Good answer, I've never seen a fanboy hit a brickwall as hard as you just did.

As if anyone cares what an elitist prick's opinion is.

Aug 8, 2015 4:52 AM

Oct 2011
I won't hesitate to buy if I ever find it in our local bookstore
Aug 8, 2015 6:31 PM

Feb 2014
Mazaev said:

Then what would you prefer? No bullshit here, I'm interested. Plus, your music taste seems decent.
Also, where exactly do you think Punpun 'turned trash'?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2015 6:37 PM
Oct 2012
I hope they don't censor anything :c
Aug 8, 2015 6:50 PM
Dec 2011
Legg91 said:

Then what would you prefer? No bullshit here, I'm interested. Plus, your music taste seems decent.

Viz should re-print Buronson series (Strain / Sanctuary) first or should of got the license to Silent Service instead.

I liked the first half of Punpun, thought the characters when they were younger each had good sub-plots and they were a lot more interesting to read. Second half was garbage, the characters all became hateable and out of the new cast they introduced over time the only good character was Nanjou. The Uncle, Seki and Shimizu were the only good characters in the whole series start to finish. The Pegasus bullshit? Completely unnecessary and an absolute bore to read. Mediocre ending.

Volume 1 to about half-way through 5 and the second half of 13. Fantastic read. The new sub-plots in between, absolutely crap.
Aug 9, 2015 7:58 AM

Feb 2014
Mazaev said:
Legg91 said:

Viz should re-print Buronson series (Strain / Sanctuary) first or should of got the license to Silent Service instead.

I liked the first half of Punpun, thought the characters when they were younger each had good sub-plots and they were a lot more interesting to read. Second half was garbage, the characters all became hateable and out of the new cast they introduced over time the only good character was Nanjou. The Uncle, Seki and Shimizu were the only good characters in the whole series start to finish. The Pegasus bullshit? Completely unnecessary and an absolute bore to read. Mediocre ending.

Volume 1 to about half-way through 5 and the second half of 13. Fantastic read. The new sub-plots in between, absolutely crap.

I've yet to read those manga, I'll check them out sometime. Sanctuary seems dope.

Hmm, I can see where you're coming from. Punpun is by far my favorite work, however I'm not blind to where other's wouldn't enjoy it. It's merely my favorite because I am who I am. I relate to most all of the musings/events in this work in some form or another and have never felt more connected to a fictional universe before. Weather it be the gender identity bit Asano may or may-not be expressing through Nanjou, or the very realist depictions/satire spread throughout.

I recognize that the Pegasus sub-plot turns basically everyone off, but as someone who really enjoys the mundane and tries to analyze everything more than I should, I feel it's a shame how dismissive some people are of what he brings to the manga. (not taking a jab at you, just making a statement)
I feel his commentary is really spot on in parts. Like, that the narcissism and over exposure of humanity's worst elements will be our own undoing or 'end of the world' in a sense. He's right about love as well. It may not solve every problem, but it's way more efficient and feels better.
Sure Pegasus is goofy, but that's the point. He's not supposed to inspire you with his words like some dumb modern movie protagonist with no depth, he's meant to make you feel awkward and like you should dismiss him, just as we judge and dismiss anyone over-zealous enough to spew such 'nonsense' in real life.
I can't say much about the characters. As I mentioned, I realize Pegasus isn't a very like-able character. (Don't even get me started on Punpun, Aiko, or Yuichi.) If I didn't relate, appreciate the attention to detail, and depth of this work so much I'd actually probably agree with you.

Who knows? I'm probably wrong about everything I just said, and even Asano himself would say 'it's just a fucking manga you dolt', but I really enjoyed this work enough to dig this deep and many others have as well, and hope that says a something. Works of this amount of quality are one in a generation I feel. With that said, I'm stoked to dig into the works you feel are worthy of such praise.

In any case, more manga exposure in the west (especially more seinen types) is nothing, but incredible.
Aug 9, 2015 8:27 AM

Nov 2013
Apparently Viz is releasing this in Omnibus. Not sure how that'll work with it being 13 volumes but it's still disappointing to hear. Hopefully the Amazon listing is just wrong.

Amazon Listing
Disappear. This chair is an eyesore. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair.
Aug 9, 2015 4:27 PM

Sep 2011
Brynhild said:
Apparently Viz is releasing this in Omnibus. Not sure how that'll work with it being 13 volumes but it's still disappointing to hear. Hopefully the Amazon listing is just wrong.

Amazon Listing

Ugh, I can't believe them... the last volume will be a 3 in 1 then.
Aug 9, 2015 4:45 PM

Jun 2014
The solanin omnibus was incredible so I can only expect the same quality from them.

It will definitely give Punpun some trouble in climbing up the charts, due to the higher price tag.
Aug 13, 2015 11:57 AM

Sep 2011
We're f#cked, omnibus confirmed. Time to buy the italian or spanish version.
Aug 23, 2015 2:26 PM

Oct 2010
Very excited for this release, for sure will pick it up. I someday dream for an anime adaptation of this series.

Tumblr |  Anime List | 🌷🌼

Sep 18, 2015 7:59 PM

Mar 2012
I still don't see any official word on how this will be released.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Video Game 'Guilty Gear: Strive' Gets TV Anime

DatRandomDude - Jun 13

22 by Pyro81300 »»
52 minutes ago

» 'Mob kara Hajimaru Tansaku Eiyuutan' Reveals Additional Cast

Nioxys - Jun 10

3 by Pyro81300 »»
1 hour ago

» Original TV Anime 'Prinsession Orchestra' Announced for 2025

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

9 by MalchikRepaid »»
3 hours ago

» 'Spy x Family' Gets Third Anime Season

Vindstot - Jun 9

39 by CrazyButNot4U »»
6 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Unveils Additional Staff, Second Promo

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by CrazyButNot4U »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.