Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Sep 1, 2014 10:00 PM
Mar 2014
Revelry said:
SovietStrawberry said:
I think with the confession what turned him on was not that you are less intelligent than him but that you're trying to act intelligent even though you aren't (from his perspective).

I don't think it has anything to do with men only seeking dumber woman or whatever this thread's about, but possibly your interest in intellect even though you don't appear smart to him.

My bet's that even if you are actually smart he'll find you "lustful", by virtue of your interest in trying to convey your intellect regardless of the level of it.

So that confessor probably likes smart woman more than dumb ones (why else would intellectual interest turn him on). But sure derive this thread from it by all means.
Why would anyone be interested in an "intelligent" woman in the first place over a woman of average intellect?
The answer lies in the difference when you talk to them. By talking with more intelligent people in general regardless of gender it is much more interesting/rewarding.
Sep 1, 2014 10:01 PM

Jul 2014
Revelry said:
SovietStrawberry said:
I think with the confession what turned him on was not that you are less intelligent than him but that you're trying to act intelligent even though you aren't (from his perspective).

I don't think it has anything to do with men only seeking dumber woman or whatever this thread's about, but possibly your interest in intellect even though you don't appear smart to him.

My bet's that even if you are actually smart he'll find you "lustful", by virtue of your interest in trying to convey your intellect regardless of the level of it.

So that confessor probably likes smart woman more than dumb ones (why else would intellectual interest turn him on). But sure derive this thread from it by all means.
Why would anyone be interested in an "intelligent" woman in the first place over a woman of average intellect?
Because of Shu-Vi the exmachina from NGNL.
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Sep 1, 2014 10:02 PM

Jun 2014
Nothing suits a relationship more than when a couple can discuss meaningful topics with individual opinions.

Sep 1, 2014 10:04 PM

Jan 2014
Revelry said:
SovietStrawberry said:

Hmm, I've been looking at this all wrong.

I should be getting some kind of discount if I go with an intelligent woman?
Sep 1, 2014 10:05 PM

Mar 2011
I lol'd at the bunch of quotes you used that were very clearly meant in jest and used them as if they were serious in order to open up your point.

I actually think that's a bit of a dick move.

On topic, the intelligence of my partner is not something I think about, however I would assume that I would not get on so well with someone who was vastly less intelligent than me.

What's the point of them being stupid exactly?
Sep 1, 2014 10:08 PM
Mar 2014
Infinite said:

I think OP is trying to say men prefer them dumb because we are insecure, or not (I've already forgotten what the OP read).
Sep 1, 2014 10:13 PM

Mar 2011
SovietStrawberry said:
Infinite said:

I think OP is trying to say men prefer them dumb because we are insecure, or not (I've already forgotten what the OP read).

Hmmm....

So basically, men don't want a woman who's more intelligent than them? I get that I guess. Not because they think women should be stupid, but because they don't want to be the stupid one in a relationship. They don't want to be made to feel inferior.

This is true of people who are insecure sure, but really? Damn that's petty.
Sep 1, 2014 10:14 PM

Mar 2014
Infinite said:
SovietStrawberry said:

Hmmm....

So basically, men don't want a woman who's more intelligent than them? I get that I guess. Not because they think women should be stupid, but because they don't want to be the stupid one in a relationship. They don't want to be made to feel inferior.

This is true of people who are insecure sure, but really? Damn that's petty.
That's just the OP's opinion dude.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 1, 2014 10:14 PM
May 2014
I don't think having a "dumb" Girlfriend would do me anything good, if it turns out that she is just a little less intelligent than myself I can't complain, but when it heats the edge of my tolereance (in terms of intelligence of course) thats another story.

I rater preffer a girl who I can discuss some sorth of things

Sep 1, 2014 10:22 PM

Nov 2011
Revelry said:
This confession about me inspired the creation of this thread. By the way, I am no way claiming to be intelligent.

So.. are you claiming to be pretty then?

Anyway, OT: I base my tastes mainly on how well I get along with a girl, this said, I prefer a girl I get along with. I prefer smart girls yeah, but then I know I always end up arguing a lot with "smart" girls, Idk why. So a "dumb" girl could be ok as long as she's not uber stupid, but silly or naive. But again, it always depends on how well I get along with her.
I luv u
Sep 1, 2014 10:30 PM
Jun 2014
Red_Keys said:
Well you just contradicted yourself. You agreed, and then you said that "people automatically assume that an attractive man is also intelligent". Which... directly conflicts with you saying "certainly" at the beginning of your post.
I agreed that there are indeed attractive but dumb men, but I missed they key word, which was "stereotype", so I'll make it clear that I am of the view that this stereotype can be rarely seen, and therefore doesn't hold that much ground.

Red_Keys said:
Men are classified into specific categories too. Hell, when the word "nerd" comes to mind, do you think of some sexy guy with rippling muscles and a chiseled jaw enticing you into bed? Or do you think of that skinny ugly guy wearing overalls and has thick glasses with tape in the middle because he gets punched in the face often?
The classification I am talking about is as follows:

1. High attractiveness, high intelligence
2. High attractiveness, average intelligence
3. High attractiveness, low intelligence
4. Average attractiveness, high intelligence
5. Average attractiveness, average intelligence
6. Average attractiveness, low intelligence
7. Low attractiveness, high intelligence
8. Low attractiveness, average intelligence
9. Low attractiveness, low intelligence

True, whenever we hear the word nerd, we assume that it's an unattractive man. [High intelligence -- low attractiveness] But, the point here is that his assumed physical appearance isn't injurious.

Red_Keys said:
Intelligence having a negative correlation with attractiveness is a cliche that is portrayed upon men and women equally.
Not at all. Being an attractive man has never been an obstacle for his career and social life. In fact, it enhances it. You need less of the alpha male personality than an average-looking man does to be the leader of a group. Plus, you seem more trustworthy than an attractive woman in the corporate world. For example, in entrepreneurship, a series of studies found that investors would prefer to fund attractive male entrepreneurs over attractive female entrepreneurs even though their pitches being identical. Furthermore, attractive women need to handle two things that an attractive man would never have to:

1. Wading in an environment of rejected suitors (a tangent point)
2. Being barraged with "doubt" as to their intelligence and competence, so they need to work twice as hard in order to quell it.

Red_Keys said:
If you want to talk about this trend of assuming that attractive people are unintelligent, or at least not exceptionally intelligent, talking about how it only effects 50% of the population is simply counterproductive.
As I've mentioned before, it's more detrimental to women because they're naturally assumed to be less intelligent than a man. Moreover, we're not being constantly inundated with portrayals of hot, unattractive males because nobody would buy a product that features them. I don't know what type of environment you live in, but it seems to me that you're only pushing this issue that doesn't have substance.

Red_Keys said:
She doesn't have to wonder about those things. She's already made the assumption that he's intelligent.
RevelrySep 1, 2014 10:39 PM
Sep 1, 2014 10:31 PM

Mar 2014
Revelry said:
Red_Keys said:
Well you just contradicted yourself. You agreed, and then you said that "people automatically assume that an attractive man is also intelligent". Which... directly conflicts with you saying "certainly" at the beginning of your post.
I agreed that there are indeed attractive but dumb men, but I missed they key word, which was "stereotype", so I'll make it clear that I am of the view that this stereotype can be rarely seen, and therefore doesn't hold that much ground.
Really? Never been near a gym?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 1, 2014 10:33 PM

Aug 2014
Faith in humanity -10 points.
Sep 1, 2014 10:39 PM

Mar 2012
BarryManilow said:
Revelry said:

Going to have to agree with them. Since when are attractive men widely assumed to be intelligent?

I think someone with thick glasses, a tucked in shirt, and not very attractive would be more of an image that someone would throw at a smart guy.

There are plenty of smart and attractive men, but I think how you dress also has a huge impact.

When I'm in a suit, I get intelligent and handsome young man a lot. I'm sure that wouldn't be same impression, when I'm in a tight shirt/jeans and my muscles and tattoos are showing. Actually, I can guarantee that. But I'm a guy, so after having a conversation with me most people will probably better appreciate my intelligence and not simply just focus on looks. It's a shame for a lot of women, but it's a a reality.
Sep 1, 2014 10:44 PM
Jun 2014
Infinite said:
I would appreciate it if you refrain from making ad hominem attacks to elevate yourself.

Infinite said:
I lol'd at the bunch of quotes you used that were very clearly meant in jest and used them as if they were serious in order to open up your point.
I used them to illustrate how easily men can joke around when it comes to women's intelligence.

Aug 2014
Why aren't there polls like "Do you prefer a smart feebly boyfriend or a ripped dumb one?"

I'm actually pretty interested in how many females actually browse MAL, since I'm pretty sure there should be a hefty amount, though not actively present most times.

Apr 2013
I won't answer the poll.

I know there are ways to measure intelligence, but I won't try to pretend that I have anything other than what I have, whatever it is.

As for intelligence, I'd prefer an intelligent girl. I don't want to hold down a conversation about Justin Bieber and One Direction for days to come. I'd rather slit my throat and hope I was reincarnated into a North Korean.
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Sep 1, 2014 10:45 PM

Aug 2014
iSheep said:
I won't answer the poll.

I know there are ways to measure intelligence, but I won't try to pretend that I have anything other than what I have, whatever it is.

As for intelligence, I'd prefer an intelligent girl. I don't want to hold down a conversation about Justin Bieber and One Direction for days to come. I'd rather slit my throat and hope I was reincarnated into a North Korean.

People still like those wannabe-of-a-singer(s)? I thought the hype for them died down years ago.
Sep 1, 2014 10:46 PM

Apr 2013
Nanet said:
iSheep said:
I won't answer the poll.

People still like those wannabe-of-a-singer(s)? I thought the hype for them died down years ago.

There was one in my speech class three months ago. College-level speech class. Go figure.
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Sep 1, 2014 10:51 PM
Jun 2014
BarryManilow said:
Revelry said:
Having an excellent physique doesn't automatically mean you fit into the category of being attractive. You also need to possess other features such as height and facial symmetry.
Sep 1, 2014 10:54 PM

Apr 2013
Revelry said:
Having an excellent physique doesn't automatically mean you fit into the category of being attractive. You also need to possess other features such as height and facial symmetry.

I know many fit guys/girls who simply don't have it when it comes to facial traits so I agree.
Sep 1, 2014 10:56 PM
Nov 2008
Revelry said:
BarryManilow said:
which are... part of your physique?
Sep 1, 2014 10:56 PM

Mar 2014
Revelry said:
BarryManilow said:
Agreed, but that wasn't really my point. Women and men generally have analogous stereotypes, although they aren't necessarily as common as the other.
Sep 1, 2014 10:57 PM
Jun 2014
Lhesdien_Nyelsai said:
(Wo'ah, I'm interacting in your thread. What an achievement).
Hello! It pleases me to see you around here. :)
Sep 1, 2014 10:57 PM

Aug 2014
iSheep said:

There was one in my speech class three months ago. College-level speech class. Go figure.

Not surprised, I'm slowly losing faith in this next generation with this kind of stuff

Sep 1, 2014 10:58 PM

Mar 2014
I am a man who prefers woman.

Other than that, she must be attractive.

I'll then judge her athletic ability.

After that, I'll judge her intelligence.

My priorities. :|
"I am the Bone of my Sword
Steel is my Body and Fire is my Blood
I have created over a Thousand Blades
Unaware of Loss,
Nor aware of Gain.
Withstood Pain to create Weapons, Waiting for one’s Arrival
I have no Regrets. This is the only Path
My whole life was Unlimited Blade Works"
Sep 1, 2014 10:58 PM

Apr 2013
PiccolosPants said:
iSheep said:

Not surprised, I'm slowly losing faith in this next generation with this kind of stuff

If they didn't exist I wouldn't have mentioned Justin Bieber or One Direction, but unfortunately there was room for mentioning.
Sep 1, 2014 11:01 PM

Mar 2011
Revelry said:
Infinite said:
I would appreciate it if you refrain from making ad hominem attacks to elevate yourself.

I'm going to be very generous here and pretend that you simply misread what I said, but an ad hominem attack requires that I attack you in order to undermine your argument. It's in the name so to speak.

Calling your actions "a dick move" is hardly an attack upon you. I say nothing about you, simply that what you did was dickish, because you are effectively misrepresenting people's opinions to be the complete opposite of what they actually are. I'd find this rather annoying myself.

If I said "you are a dick" then that would have been different, and I'm going to assume that's what you misinterpreted me as saying.

Revelry said:
Infinite said:
I used them to illustrate how easily men can joke around when it comes to women's intelligence.
[/quote]
Sorry if I didn't realise, since you gave no indication that is what you actually meant, I found it impossible to know, since I lack telepathy and all.

As a helpful hint, if you say something like "Personally, after reading the responses below, I am of the opinion that the average man gets turned on more if a woman is less intelligent than him." it sounds like you are taking the quotes at face value, rather than in the joking sense they actually are.

I also find it unusual that you would use these joking quotes to prove your point since they are lampooning how stupid it is to think like that. Far be it from me to question your logic, but I think there are better methods to make your point rather than quoting someone who's words justify you but who's intentions don't.
Sep 1, 2014 11:03 PM

Apr 2013
Infinite said:
I'm going to be very generous here

Nobody's ever generous on MAL. Just saying.
Sep 1, 2014 11:04 PM

Mar 2014
iSheep said:
Infinite said:

Except rapists. They give.

They give a lot.
"I am the Bone of my Sword
Steel is my Body and Fire is my Blood
I have created over a Thousand Blades
Unaware of Loss,
Nor aware of Gain.
Withstood Pain to create Weapons, Waiting for one’s Arrival
I have no Regrets. This is the only Path
My whole life was Unlimited Blade Works"
Sep 1, 2014 11:07 PM
Mar 2014
iSheep said:
Infinite said:

Within cliques they are. Just sayin'.
Sep 1, 2014 11:07 PM

Apr 2013
xanic said:
iSheep said:

Except rapists. They give.

They give a lot.

"Give a little bit of my love to you....."

Okay, fuck you for putting that song in my head.
Sep 1, 2014 11:08 PM

Dec 2013
I prefer inteligent ones, even if its a little ugly or chubby.
Sep 1, 2014 11:23 PM
Jun 2014
Infinite said:
If I said "you are a dick" then that would have been different, and I'm going to assume that's what you misinterpreted me as saying.
Yup, it was a case of misinterpretation.

Infinite said:
Sorry if I didn't realise, since you gave no indication that is what you actually meant.
A lesson learned for me.

Infinite said:
Far be it from me to question your logic, but I think there are better methods to make your point rather than quoting someone whose words justify you but whose intentions don't.
There's usually an ounce of truth to some jokes. Anyway, I gave an anecdote to make my point. I could make more, but doing so is already irrelevant at this juncture.
Sep 1, 2014 11:26 PM
Mar 2014
Revelry said:
Infinite said:
Yup, it was a case of misinterpretation.

Infinite said:
Sorry if I didn't realise, since you gave no indication that is what you actually meant.
A lesson learned for me.

Infinite said:
Far be it from me to question your logic, but I think there are better methods to make your point rather than quoting someone whose words justify you but whose intentions don't.
There's usually an ounce of truth to some jokes. Anyway, I gave an anecdote to make my point. I could make more, but doing so is already irrelevant at this juncture.

I can kinda see where that confessor is coming from now.
Sep 1, 2014 11:35 PM

Mar 2011
Generally speaking, I think it'd be better to find examples of men who do actually want less intelligent women, rather than the jokes, because jokes are fairly easy to dismiss.

As for the jokes having an ounce of truth, I'd say that the truth in the joke is that people actually think that way, not so much that the people making the jokes do.

In this case I'd say the jokes were made to mock the people who actually do think like that.

On the topic actually, do you find it odd that the person said lustful?

A women's intelligence in of itself I think isn't something I'd consider sexy. I'd say it'd make you more attractive as an individual if you were intelligent, but sexy? If you had the confidence of intelligence that'd be different, but intelligence in of itself?

More to the point, don't you find the confession patronising? Despite it's well intentions, I do have to note that it said "trying to be intellectual[/u], as if to say that your actions to try and be intellectual, rather than you being intellectual in of itself was the attractive part.
Sep 1, 2014 11:46 PM
Jun 2014
Infinite said:
In this case I'd say the jokes were made to mock the people who actually do think like that.

On the topic actually, do you find it odd that the person said lustful?

More to the point, don't you find the confession patronising? Despite its well intentions, I do have to note that it said "trying to be intellectual[/u], as if to say that your actions to try and be intellectual, rather than you being intellectual in of itself was the attractive part.
I thought of that too upon reading the confession. At any rate, his opinion matters little to me.
RevelrySep 2, 2014 12:06 AM
Sep 1, 2014 11:55 PM

Sep 2012
Revelry said:
Red_Keys said:

Red_Keys said:
Men are classified into specific categories too. Hell, when the word "nerd" comes to mind, do you think of some sexy guy with rippling muscles and a chiseled jaw enticing you into bed? Or do you think of that skinny ugly guy wearing overalls and has thick glasses with tape in the middle because he gets punched in the face often?

True, whenever we hear the word nerd, we assume that it's an unattractive man. [High intelligence -- low attractiveness] But, the point here is that his assumed physical appearance isn't injurious.

Red_Keys said:
Intelligence having a negative correlation with attractiveness is a cliche that is portrayed upon men and women equally.
Not at all. Being an attractive man has never been an obstacle for his career and social life. In fact, it enhances it. You need less of the alpha male personality than an average-looking man does to be the leader of a group. Plus, you seem more trustworthy than an attractive woman in the corporate world. For example, in entrepreneurship, a series of studies found that investors would prefer to fund attractive male entrepreneurs over attractive female entrepreneurs even though their pitches being identical. Furthermore, attractive women need to handle two things that an attractive man would never have to:

2. Being barraged with "doubt" as to their intelligence and competence, so they need to work twice as hard in order to quell it.

Red_Keys said:
If you want to talk about this trend of assuming that attractive people are unintelligent, or at least not exceptionally intelligent, talking about how it only effects 50% of the population is simply counterproductive.
As I've mentioned before, it's more detrimental to women because they're naturally assumed to be less intelligent than a man. Moreover, we're not being constantly inundated with portrayals of hot, unattractive males because nobody would buy a product that features them. I don't know what type of environment you live in, but it seems to me that you're only pushing this issue that doesn't have substance.

Red_Keys said:
She doesn't have to wonder about those things. She's already made the assumption that he's intelligent.
Alright, well it seems as if you refuse to take reality into consideration, so this discussion is over.

Good troll thread.
Sep 2, 2014 12:48 AM
Mar 2014
Red_Keys said:
Revelry said:

Alright, well it seems as if you refuse to take reality into consideration, so this discussion is over.

Good troll thread.
Wow, Revelry. Some points aren't bad but there's just so much biased-ness that it's hard to take you seriously.
Sep 2, 2014 1:57 AM

May 2012
If I dated a girl who was significantly less intelligent than me, I would be afraid that we run out of discussions pretty soon. That is also why I would like to date a girl who is knowledgeable or at least interested in my field of studies / work. That doesn't mean that she has to have an IQ less/greater/equal to me, just that the level of education is somewhat similar.
As I said in another thread, I am slightly intimidated by people which much higher intellect, to the point of where I really respect them.
So my preference would be average to higher than me I guess.
I am a mechanical engineer student and despite all the rumors, I see attractive women and men, and also unattractive people studying the subject with more or less difficulties. No one here calls the women studying the "pretty girls" though.
We all know how hard this subject is and that if you are in the 5th semester already, you have to study extensively.

I do not see a correlation between looks and intelligence. The problem in our society is that maybe people see a pretty girl and already assume "oh, she just needs to find a man and doesn't have to work". That's not the case in Germany, a lot of girls study and kids end up with 2 full-time working parents.

I don't think the person who made the confession ever visited a university. There are a lot of beautiful girls who like to engage in serious discussions on campus ;)
S H O U T _ O L D _ B U T _ G O L D
Sep 2, 2014 2:03 AM
Jul 2018
Revelry said:
I'm Man #9. Can I have a Woman #1, please? And a Man #3 to go.
Sep 2, 2014 2:15 AM
Jun 2014
Yep.
Kronie is mai waifu.
Enema is my master.
Shadowslave13 is my loli milk provider.
Flume is my dark magic buddy cop sidekick™.
And Afshar was my first MAL friend ;-;

I have coveted these people, so that I may one day sacrifice them in the name of love.
Sep 2, 2014 4:48 AM

Mar 2014
posting flaunting confessions on your own tumblr lol
Sep 2, 2014 4:48 AM

Aug 2013
No, I don't like dumb people.
Sep 2, 2014 4:49 AM
Mar 2014
Cyaegha said:
posting flaunting confessions on your own tumblr lol
tumblir wars, sounds fun!
Sep 2, 2014 5:13 AM

Feb 2014
I once dated an "airhead"... sucks to say it was not pleasant.

"Everything you see on the internet isn't true." -Abraham Lincoln
Sep 2, 2014 5:31 AM

Aug 2013
Can I answer with my powers of homosexuality?

I'd feel somewhat bad about dating a "dumb" woman, like I could manipulate them easily...
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Sep 2, 2014 6:54 AM
Mar 2014
Mogu-sama said:
my powers of homosexuality

How Fabulous!
Sep 2, 2014 7:33 AM

Dec 2011
So based on the poll results Anime watchers (at least the male ones) are mostly intelligent or dishonest. Makes sense.

Also 22% female vote currently. LIES
text27 said:
yes if you read the whole thing...robots will only kill the people you put in-front of them so yeah.

RandomChampion said:
u were that homie in the thong werent u
Sep 2, 2014 4:58 PM

Jul 2014
1. Character - trustworthiness, honesty, integrity
2. Good health
3. World view - politics, etc.
4. Intelligence
5. Eyeball appeal

Beauty is fleeting. Character lasts a lifetime. Remember that when you search for a lifelong partnership.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Why did you choose your forum avatar and profile picture?

Ejrodiew - 39 minutes ago

10 by Kirika_Madeleine »»
2 minutes ago

» how do you like your burger

tsukareru - 4 hours ago

15 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you have friends?

Ejrodiew - Oct 13

38 by Ejrodiew »»
40 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your preferred study medium?

VampireSylphy - Oct 17

12 by nanajp »»
1 hour ago

» You guys watch anime on a laptop, tv or projector?

Rivermind - Oct 17

44 by nanajp »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.