Forum Settings
Forums

How much money do you guys spend on anime per month?

New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 4, 2009 2:04 PM

Dec 2007
None. For Lord's sake. Buying DVDs is something I haven't done in ages. Many, many, many ages.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
May 4, 2009 2:44 PM

Sep 2008
0$. Well I haven't enough money to spare to buy anime.
May 4, 2009 2:52 PM

Dec 2007
I personally try to spend as much as I can, but that's never a steady amount. It's usually anywhere from $0 (which is a month where there is either nothing I want or I flat out don't have the cash) to $200 or more. It all depends, but I really do make an effort to actively support as many releases as I can, especially when it's something I love.

And WOW, this thread. It's just as I thought though, no wonder there is so much ignorance about anime DVDs... no one bothers to buy them.

lordwindowlicker said:
No wonder the anime industry is faltering.. with all these kids who say things like "ANIME IS FREE!!!".

You like the shows, but refuse to support them. That's really mature of you.

I was going to give an answer, but I've been too sickened by this topic. I'm going to leave before I get more upset.

I feel your pain, I really do. But people around here don't care and that's the problem. =/
May 4, 2009 3:07 PM

Nov 2007
-Jenny said:
I feel your pain, I really do. But people around here don't care and that's the problem. =/

To be fair, it's not just people around here. The modern online community as a whole have a sense of entitlement bred from the ease of obtaining any kind of content, whether it be cinema, TV or music. Hell even books are pirated these days.

It is obvious why many people say why pay when you can get it for free, but it is still unfortunate. And the growing vocal majority who brag about it being free are why we're now suffering such bullshit from the broadcasters and licensors that had previously ignored the fansub scene for the mostpart.
May 4, 2009 3:20 PM

Dec 2007
My rule is "if I like it enough to want more, I'll spare money to them". It is very, very, very, very rare for me to buy DVDs though. Rarer is when "I liked it so much I want to have it just to keep it", happens more with books. It's beyond my comprehension why somebody would just take everything for granted and free. Oh well, maybe it's better to force them to lose money, so they invest in producing better series instead of the idiot moe stuff.

Unless, of course, you count theatre releases as contribution as well as merchandise. But that's not money spent on anime, that's money spent on merchandise and going to a movie theatre to watch anime. =p
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
May 4, 2009 3:40 PM

Apr 2007
0 €

ain't got the money
May 4, 2009 3:42 PM

Nov 2007
ladyxzeus said:
Oh well, maybe it's better to force them to lose money, so they invest in producing better series instead of the idiot moe stuff.

It's the moe shit that sells though. If companies have to start tightening their belts due to people not paying for stuff, then the quality stories are going to go first. The moe fluff always sells so is a guaranteed breadwinner. That's the big problem.
May 4, 2009 4:30 PM
May 2009
Asako said:
ladyxzeus said:
Oh well, maybe it's better to force them to lose money, so they invest in producing better series instead of the idiot moe stuff.

It's the moe shit that sells though. If companies have to start tightening their belts due to people not paying for stuff, then the quality stories are going to go first. The moe fluff always sells so is a guaranteed breadwinner. That's the big problem.

We get a LOT of good series licensed in America, though.. Sure there are more that could be, and I'd REALLY like to see some companies buy the rights t some older series for a change.. (hack) Galaxy Express (cough).. ahem. I just haven't seen a lack of good anime on the shelves. Hell, TRSI is about to release Captain Tylor in remastered DVD sets.
May 4, 2009 4:34 PM

Dec 2007
Asako said:
-Jenny said:

To be fair, it's not just people around here. The modern online community as a whole have a sense of entitlement bred from the ease of obtaining any kind of content, whether it be cinema, TV or music. Hell even books are pirated these days.

It is obvious why many people say why pay when you can get it for free, but it is still unfortunate. And the growing vocal majority who brag about it being free are why we're now suffering such bullshit from the broadcasters and licensors that had previously ignored the fansub scene for the mostpart.

Oh I know it's far more widespread, it's just this attitude seems to be in high concentration here, that's all. I do agree and it is certainly unfortunate.

And that's one of the points. Broadcasters and liscenors are sitting on fansubs harder and harder these days instead of ignoring them like they did in the past because no one is bothering to buy. Desperate times call for desperate measures. If people supported the shows they claim to love, I don't think fansubs would be much of an issue really. But that's my opinion. ^^;

Asako said:

And that is another reason to support the shows you do love. Anime is so niche that sales really do matter. Moe shows sell (in Japan anyway, I don't think that applies to the rest of the world), so moe shows are made. Shows like say... Kaiba* are a rare treat, but are often ignored by most and more than likely purchased even less. This is why if there is a show I love, I buy it when it's available to me.

* Perhaps a bad example, since this show has yet see the light of day outside Japan. (Which is a real shame, since I'd give pretty much anything for an R1 release of this show) However, in terms of something pretty much overlooked, it works.
KnittyMay 5, 2009 3:42 AM
May 4, 2009 4:40 PM
May 2009
Not paying for something might ultimately have an adverse effect on the production of it.... <Simple concept.
May 4, 2009 5:16 PM

Feb 2007
Would more persons in this thread (and everywhere else for that matter) consider actually paying more, if at all, if this works out well? Although it's too early to tell, let's pretend that it's affordable, at least a little more so than it is now (I still don't pay retail for all my anime anyway...).
May 4, 2009 6:20 PM

Aug 2008
i've started to actually buy my anime recently, so i really cant say at this point. maybe around 20-30 bucks
May 4, 2009 6:33 PM

Aug 2007
I spend a lot. $0 every month.

1) I don't have the money.

2) I just don't care.
May 4, 2009 6:36 PM
Dec 2008
mrthalo3 said:
Rewt said:
Why in hell would anyone buy Code Geass? Thats not wise spending.

I don't even want to argue with this^^^ cheapass

Some month i don't spend at all, so on average i'd say $70 - $80 per month.

So why did you quote me? Silly trick.
May 4, 2009 8:15 PM

Aug 2007
I spent 5 bucks on an animepaper.net wallpaper account and I want that 5 dollars back actually =p.
May 4, 2009 8:34 PM

Jul 2008
Outside of buying games, I would say none..I mean you've got youtube and veoh, what else do you really need?
May 5, 2009 12:24 AM

Mar 2009
LOL I didnt know that people actually spent money on anime! lol J/K
...but for me...its about $0 lol
May 5, 2009 6:52 AM
Oct 2008
kamigranato04 said:
Outside of buying games, I would say none..I mean you've got youtube and veoh, what else do you really need?

For many people there is still a need to have a physical copy of their media so for a lot of people just being able to watch it and download it online isn't enough.

Personally for me, I like being able to watch my anime off the computer and lay back watching it on my TV every once in awhile.
May 5, 2009 1:29 PM

Nov 2008
Generally not very much at all. I will go on buying sprees every so often that usually amount to around $100 on anime, but that's usually only once every few months and generally consists of box sets. It's nice to be able to add to your collection.
May 5, 2009 1:34 PM

Apr 2008
I don't buy anime unless it's a series or movie I really enjoy, so I guess you can say between $20-$30.
May 5, 2009 1:57 PM

Apr 2009
Blossomse said:
astronomical said:
Xplicit said:
Avarance said:
Somewhere around 0$ - 0$ a month.
This.
May 5, 2009 3:06 PM
Nov 2008
0e.

Like they actually sell anything that interests me here.
Still considering the dvd quality I probably still wouldnt buy.

May 5, 2009 3:12 PM

Sep 2008
I Only buy manga and thats like €10,- each and I wanna buy one every time i'm in the neighbourhood. so its like €40,- each month ( but sometimes I don't buy manga for a long time :3)
May 5, 2009 4:01 PM

Apr 2009
$0. I might spend money on anime if it weren't for the fact that anime dvds seem to only come with four episodes on them and cost $30+. You can buy an entire season of a western live action tv series for that much, which is ridiculous because live action is much more expensive than animation.
Confucius say man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
May 5, 2009 4:39 PM
May 2008
0$ right now, but when I get a job I'll start buying box sets and manga more often. it's not that I'm just being cheap. I just don't have the money.
May 5, 2009 4:47 PM

Jun 2008
Uhh, I buy anime about once every 5-6 months. That's only box sets of my top 5 and counting the every-now-and-then magazines

$5.00
May 5, 2009 4:52 PM

Feb 2009
i spend 250$ on manga so far
but i get all my anime for free
May 5, 2009 4:59 PM
Oct 2008
Mawootad said:
$0. I might spend money on anime if it weren't for the fact that anime dvds seem to only come with four episodes on them and cost $30+. You can buy an entire season of a western live action tv series for that much, which is ridiculous because live action is much more expensive than animation.

Most anime series have boxsets out now as most companies have been pushing for boxset releases so there have been less single DVD releases as of late.

Though unless it's a fairly old or short TV series/season most western series cost $40-$60 and most anime DVDs stay in the price range of $20-$25 while boxsets are in the same range as most TV series in the US.

Not saying you should go out and spend your money or anything but that's usually how the prices are nowadays. I haven't seen that many single releases lately as most have been replaced with boxsets. I would show evidence from Amazon but there prices for DVDs have been fluctuating for the past few weeks so it's hard to get an accurate price range.
May 5, 2009 5:17 PM

May 2009
I would have to agree with a lot of people here that say It depends i usually spend about 200 a month then don't waste money for a while.

May 5, 2009 5:52 PM

Jul 2008
Sorry

$0
May 5, 2009 6:09 PM
May 2009
Why buy something you could easily watch on the internet?

0$ A month.
May 5, 2009 6:09 PM

Jul 2008
lordwindowlicker said:
Not paying for something might ultimately have an adverse effect on the production of it.... <Simple concept.

If it weren't available for free, I wouldn't buy it anyway.
LEGENDOFTHEGALACTICHEROESLEGENDOFTHEGALACTI
May 5, 2009 6:23 PM

May 2009
i spend nothing, im awesome
May 5, 2009 6:30 PM

May 2009
0$ I just watch it online, and if I couldn't I would just watch it on TV :P
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
May 5, 2009 6:38 PM

Jan 2009
Demitai said:
0$ I just watch it online, and if I couldn't I would just watch it on TV :P

Wow, I just found the dumbest post on this subject. lol
May 5, 2009 6:40 PM

May 2009
I try to pay as much as possible so I can SUPPORT THE ANIME INDUSTRY!
May 5, 2009 6:59 PM
Feb 2009
$5000 - $5000 = 0 Dollars a month
May 5, 2009 7:22 PM

Jan 2009
beefjerky said:
$5000 - $5000 = 0 Dollars a month

Nice, you know math. Impressive.
May 5, 2009 7:26 PM

Feb 2009
Mawootad said:

You can get a 13 episode box set for $40 or less. Hell, I got the Haruhi Suzumiya and Kashimashi box sets for $30 combined.

May 5, 2009 7:27 PM

Apr 2009
0€-30€
May 5, 2009 7:28 PM

Feb 2009
Fables said:
Why buy something you could easily watch on the internet?

0$ A month.

Because I think supporting the industry that makes the anime is a good thing.

May 5, 2009 7:42 PM

Mar 2008
lol I really don't know. I know I blew through a few hundred bucks at my last anime con.

My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
May 5, 2009 7:45 PM
Feb 2008
When I have money to spare, I usually spend it on an anime series or movie. So... I guess around $50 every few months? *shrug*
Once I get a job it'll probably be more. :P
May 5, 2009 7:48 PM

May 2008
astroboy said:
0€-30€

Your guitar was beautiful.. ;_;

Edit: omg it's removed
May 5, 2009 9:15 PM

Apr 2009
a few hundred bucks... on the internet and electric bills lol

jk

Well, i rarely spend money, only to those i really like.
May 5, 2009 9:44 PM
May 2009
Aeiou said:
lordwindowlicker said:

..and you're missing the point.
May 5, 2009 10:00 PM

Jan 2008
And they say it was the banks that caused the current depression.
May 5, 2009 11:25 PM
Mar 2009
This thread makes me want to cry.
It depends on what is coming out in said month. Some months I might spend $0, other months i might spend around $50-$100.
shooting_starMay 5, 2009 11:35 PM
May 5, 2009 11:58 PM

Aug 2007
lordwindowlicker said:
Aeiou said:
lordwindowlicker said:

..and you're missing the point.

No. You missed the point.
May 6, 2009 12:00 AM
Apr 2009
I would've spent lots if I'm not watching online
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Favorite opening (or ending) of an anime you haven't seen

Phantomtroupe97 - 10 hours ago

30 by nishant0 »»
28 minutes ago

» What anime has best memes

nishant0 - 11 hours ago

18 by Dcyber »»
31 minutes ago

» Are you glad KyotoAni is coming back to save gag comedy?

Dragevard - Today

8 by Adnash »»
57 minutes ago

Poll: » A anime that mention your country? ( 1 2 3 )

torsan88 - Sep 17

109 by aReviewer »»
2 hours ago

» Did Shikanoko save comedy anime?

Catalano - Today

20 by RainyEvenings »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.