Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 3, 2015 9:29 PM

Feb 2015
lilypippili said:
Aaaaah kyouya looks amazing without glasses and his hair all messy!!
Kyouya is perfect, ugh.
May 1, 2015 8:08 PM

Nov 2014
Aww Tamaki and Haruhi <3
Aug 12, 2015 4:52 PM
May 2015
SHIP SHIP SHIP
Aug 23, 2015 6:59 AM

Aug 2015
this was my favorite episode ❤❤
♥ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ ♥
Nov 15, 2015 6:45 PM

May 2015
I don't know if Kyouya was being serious or if he was just trying to make a point, but either way, my respect for him has plummeted. I was kind of ticked off that Haruhi was so calm, even when she thought he was just trying to reinforce Tamaki's point. You do NOT pretend that you're about to sexually assault someone in order to make a POINT. Like, WTF, am I watching Ao Haru Ride or something? One of the reasons I dropped that anime was because someone acted like they were going to sexually assault the main character to make a point that she needs to be careful. That and the show had gotten clichéd and really, really boring. The fact that this show is overall entertaining saved it from getting a really angry review.

I found the part at the end where everyone accused Tamaki of having attempted some BDSM thing pretty hilarious, though.
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Jan 19, 2016 4:29 PM

Apr 2013
Haru-chan was pretty cute this episode. Her personality kind of reminds me of Mikoto Kujou from Last Game :o

Well... except for the fear of thunder. That just makes me think of Kirisaki from Nisekoi >.>

May 30, 2016 12:27 PM

Jul 2014
Better episode than I was expecting, but the ending was still very, very cheesy.

4/5
Jun 12, 2016 2:34 PM
Jun 2016
Are you guys crazy?! Kyoya threatened to RAPE Hikaru. That's not sexy, it's wrong. No matter what his intentions were, it was absolutely wrong. Although Hikaru shouldn't have acted so recklessly when she didn't know how to defend herself, the way the show handled the issue of rape and gender stereotypes was disappointing.

Hikaru was brave, but reckless in defending those girls from thier attackers. However, the boys' sexist views that simply because she was a girl she was weak, was annoying. It was not about gender, but self defense knowledge and numbers. Worst of all was Kyoya's creepy as hell threat to rape her to ensure that she learned her lesson--the lesson being that, as a weak girl, she should be more careful. It implies that if she gets hurt or raped, it's HER fault.

This subtle victim blaming left a sour taste in my mouth, and Kyoya is no longer one of my favorite characters after this episode. Bad things happen, and people should use common sense to protect themselves in possible dangerous situations, but the victim of rape shouldn't be blamed for the crime. No one blames the victim of a murder for walking in a dark alley alone, however stupid that action may be. It is ultimately the assailant's fault for being a terrible human being. Ouran certainly sent a mixed message that is hard to agree with without raising some serious ethical and moral questions about our society as a whole.
Jan 12, 2017 9:45 AM
Jan 2017
Really cute episode and funny as always. I'm liking how its getting more into character development and having some really sweet moments too.
Mar 8, 2017 10:29 AM

Dec 2016
Common-Sense said:
Are you guys crazy?! Kyoya threatened to RAPE Hikaru. That's not sexy, it's wrong. No matter what his intentions were, it was absolutely wrong. Although Hikaru shouldn't have acted so recklessly when she didn't know how to defend herself, the way the show handled the issue of rape and gender stereotypes was disappointing.

Hikaru was brave, but reckless in defending those girls from thier attackers. However, the boys' sexist views that simply because she was a girl she was weak, was annoying. It was not about gender, but self defense knowledge and numbers. Worst of all was Kyoya's creepy as hell threat to rape her to ensure that she learned her lesson--the lesson being that, as a weak girl, she should be more careful. It implies that if she gets hurt or raped, it's HER fault.

This subtle victim blaming left a sour taste in my mouth, and Kyoya is no longer one of my favorite characters after this episode. Bad things happen, and people should use common sense to protect themselves in possible dangerous situations, but the victim of rape shouldn't be blamed for the crime. No one blames the victim of a murder for walking in a dark alley alone, however stupid that action may be. It is ultimately the assailant's fault for being a terrible human being. Ouran certainly sent a mixed message that is hard to agree with without raising some serious ethical and moral questions about our society as a whole.

THIS^

I thought this show was so cute before but this episode was just disappointing. Kyoya used to be my fav character because I thought he was the only one who was fully respectful to Haruhi and not creepy/pervy but I guess I WAS WAY WRONG :/ It was really cute at the end when Tamaki was comforting her during the storm and it's nice to see he actually cares so much about her but still the casual sexism/'lol u cant do shit cuz ur a girl' attitude has really made me lose a ton of respect for him. And for the rest of the club too trying to force her to apologize for what? possibly saving someone's life? Yeah it was risky to interfere and they have a right to feel upset because they were worried about her but saying it's HER fault they had to send the girls extra flowers because they were scared? like wtf? If Haru didn't do anything y'all could have been sending the girls flowers to their hospital rooms after being assaulted and raped
Apr 2, 2017 9:27 PM

Apr 2015
Kyouya =w=

So Tamaki found out that Haruhi's afraid of something, I wonder if he got those pictures haha

“Even if the attention isn’t forever, I’ll keep singing.”
Apr 11, 2018 5:01 AM

Feb 2018
This show keeps getting better and better, I cannot believe how well they are developing the characters in a RomCom, it almost never happens to me to be fond of the entire cast of a show, and here it is happening, well done!
Mar 26, 2019 3:42 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
this was actually a really deep episode

Apr 24, 2020 12:45 PM

Oct 2017
Haruhi definitely wasn't at fault there, I think the manipulative stuff this episode crossed into a much more creepy territory. I'm not sure how I feel about Tamaki's controlling nature being played as a good thing here.
Jun 8, 2020 5:53 PM
Feb 2016
Most other commenters already made pretty good points on the whole weird rape shit being normalized,but what is even more unsettling is that the weird possessiveness of Tamaki which was played off as a joke and he kept being teased about actually turns out to be justified by the author for whatever weird reason...

They could have brought home the message by saying that they were worried about Haruhi,that she shouldn't put herself in danger like that without turning it in to a gendered issue and fucking gaslighting her for not confirming to Tamaki's creepy shit.

I get what they were getting at with the thunderstorm scene,but it seemed more like trying to paint Haruhi as "just your average girly girl" instead of someone who essentially raised herself and didn't have a way to cope with it(which they did,but failed at doing so).
Oct 11, 2020 3:04 PM

Jan 2020
It' is strange, how nobody pointed out the reference to the Urusei Yatsura - Kurai yo. Semai yo. Kowai yo!
Jan 22, 2021 9:32 AM

Dec 2015
this episode was so disgusting i hated it ://// what a disappointment
May 1, 2021 3:04 PM

Jan 2021
Oh man, the (in)famous beach episode. I have super mixed feelings about this episode. Even if I don't think I agree with Tamaki that it's Haruhi's gender that is the issue here, I think I can understand his perspective and why he was so angry with her. But it's Kyoya's actions that really overstep the line to me. There's no way around it, despite the fact he didn't intend to go through with it, he basically threatened to rape Haruhi.

Recently I've read some reactions to this that suggest that Ouran is making fun/parodying the standard shoujo trope here, but unlike in other instances in the anime, I don't feel like it's being subverted all that much, nor is it played for laughs. I don't know - it just feels tonally very at odds with the rest of the show, and it does every time on rewatch. It might be a case of "cultural differences", but I do find it horrifying and really jarring.

Still, it's a shame, because it's an otherwise really good episode, with lots of funny moments, and a super cute moment between Tamaki and Haruhi. I just wish the scene between Kyoya and Haruhi didn't exist...
CalmTeaTimeSep 27, 2021 10:30 AM
Jun 11, 2021 2:29 PM
Jan 2021
Wasn't my favoriteepisode tbh. But I love the ending a lot, with Tamaki and Haruhi. It was so cute ^^
Aug 22, 2021 11:17 AM
Jul 2019
My fave episode!!
Aug 27, 2021 10:14 PM
🦆👑

Jan 2020
I came for a beach episode and I received more than that. It was pretty interesting seeing some growth but I wish we got more of the beach content lol

Sep 24, 2021 11:27 PM

Dec 2020
ahh the beach episode, here it is bois. the episode where a LOT of people (understandably) dislike it.

tbh i do see tamaki's point, and im one of those people who Hate these "women cant men can" shit. its just logically known that an average guy is stronger than an average girl, tamaki was also mad at the fact that she didnt call for any help, not relying on them at all even tho she was clearly at a disadvantage

still iffy abt how kyouya.. did his thing tho. i get that he was trying to play the bad guy so she could get his point across but broo nobody in the right mind would do That. but i ig thats just a shoujo trope to make girls go doki doki

LAST SCENE THOOO THE LIGHTNING AND STUFF.. RIPS HAIR OUT THAT WAS SOO?$!_($+!!!!!! ive rewatched this show several times and same with the manga but ill never ever get over this scene Animated and voiced over godddd
Nov 28, 2021 6:49 PM
Dec 2017
this was another really fun episode.

Feb 4, 2022 9:02 PM
Jan 2021
the ending threw me for a loop
Aug 11, 2022 8:42 AM
Oct 2020
It would be a very cute episode if the context was more like "Don't be scared, we will always be there for you" and not "You're just a girl, you need a man." In other episodes Haruhi proves Tamaki wrong, except in this expisode. It really hate that.
Oct 8, 2022 7:03 PM
Apr 2022
wow, this episode aged like milk!! let's see, defense for not raping her was because "he couldn't gain anything" not like you know, actual morals. oh, and casual sexism, that's cool.
Feb 12, 2023 4:25 PM
Nov 2022
the whole episode has quite a bit of internalized misogyny, it's crazy
Feb 12, 2023 4:25 PM
Nov 2022
the whole episode has quite a bit of internalized misogyny, it's crazy
Mar 23, 2023 7:35 AM
Jul 2018
this episode was wild, and i feel like haruhi and the boys were both justified in this episode (despite popular belief). Haruhi was right because if it wasn’t for her, the girls couldn’t been hurt. But at the same time, the boys were right because if it wasn’t for tamaki, haruhi could’ve drowned. I think the apology should’ve been mutual, instead of just haruhi apologizing. Also, KYOYA HOW DARE YOUUUU. That is no way to prove a point AT ALL, no matter the circumstances. My respect for him has dropped a little
Mar 23, 2023 8:43 PM
Apr 2021
i think this was the worst episode in a sense
Mar 23, 2023 8:44 PM
Apr 2021
the boys have no idea what it's like being a girl in situations like that girls have to stand up for girls
May 20, 2023 6:21 AM

Mar 2022
Wow this episode has…really gotten dated upon my third rewatch. While I can see why Tamaki and the others would be worried about Haruhi getting herself hurt and what have you and she was at risk by the two guys. But to say it was her fault and that she needed to apologise? Yeaaaah…that’s really something I can’t just ignore and I need to address it. I mean I get what they were trying to do with that scene in particular but it ultimately paints Haruhi in the wrong when she did ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong in the first place and was merely just trying to defend the girls that were getting harassed by the two guys who were first of all: Not even people associated with the host club itself and were intruding on a private beach that Kyoya owns and had no business being there, secondly: the two guys in question? They were both assholes, they were taking advantage of those poor girls in question and they probably would’ve have done horrible things to them if they weren’t stopped and third: Haruhi stood up to them she was never in the wrong in the first place. 

I feel like there should’ve been a mutual apology maybe? Instead of just Haruhi apologising. And also speaking of Kyoya what the hell was with that sudden scene of him trying to make Haruhi “pay him back with his body”? Yeah I don’t think I need to specify which scene that is. Apart from those scenes in particular I really enjoyed the episode for the most part I mean it’s not detracting from the actual quality of the show itself, it’s more I guess I got to take the episode as a sign of the times than anything because odds are scenes like those wouldn’t have been caught dead in a modern anime these days. And it probably wouldn’t fly either. Regardless it’s a good episode.
May 20, 2023 10:40 PM
Oct 2019
The hug. THE HUUUG OMG 😭😭😭🫶🏻🫶🏻🫶🏻
May 29, 2023 1:10 PM

Jul 2020
something about this episode just made me uncomfortable,,, idk
Jun 8, 2023 4:04 AM
Oct 2022
TAMAKI A HEARTTHROB AAA
Jun 26, 2023 11:14 AM

Sep 2020
the messages in this episode were terrible holy shit
Jan 11, 10:24 AM
May 2020
I just hate this episode as a whole. Lesson from it is hurtful for young girls and almost rape scene with Kyoya was disgusting.
Jul 21, 1:59 PM

May 2024
Now thats a badly outdated episode... wtf was that scene with kyoya
太陽のように 笑うあなたへあの日と同じ 歌をうたうよ
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ouran High School Host Club Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

DarkBlue - Mar 16, 2008

208 by JVskunkape »»
Sep 8, 10:14 AM

Poll: » Ouran High School Host Club Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

theeggman85 - Nov 13, 2008

62 by JVskunkape »»
Sep 7, 8:01 PM

Poll: » Ouran High School Host Club Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

theeggman85 - Nov 12, 2008

55 by JVskunkape »»
Sep 7, 7:24 PM

Poll: » Ouran High School Host Club Episode 12 Discussion

Kenkei - Sep 7, 2008

47 by JVskunkape »»
Sep 7, 11:29 AM

Poll: » Ouran High School Host Club Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jun 25, 2008

67 by ReMightyRon »»
Aug 18, 8:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.