Forum Settings
Forums

What is the most intelligent anime you've seen?

New
Pages (18) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »
Dec 31, 2012 8:38 AM

Nov 2012
-Miyu- said:
RandomPerson2 said:
Plotwise:
Baccano!
Perfect Blue
Tokyo Godfathers
One Piece
Steins;Gate

Contentwise:
Steins;Gate
GITS
Maybe everything, but OP

Wanna start something?!
Dec 31, 2012 8:41 AM
Nov 2012
One Piece? What's it doing here?!
Oi, Haru desu.
Dec 31, 2012 8:44 AM
May 2012
RandomPerson2 said:
-Miyu- said:
RandomPerson2 said:
Plotwise:
Baccano!
Perfect Blue
Tokyo Godfathers
One Piece
Steins;Gate

Contentwise:
Steins;Gate
GITS
Maybe everything, but OP

Wanna start something?!
Yoshida_Haru said:
Dec 31, 2012 8:46 AM

Feb 2008
Yoshida_Haru said:
Intelligent must not only be referred as a police investigation-type of anime like Death Note. I found Baccano! extremely well written. That why I think it's the most intelligent anime I've seen so far!
As much as I enjoyed Baccano, the whole alchemist-immortality with bad guys thing means its just another action flick. It's very well done mind you, but I wouldn't call it intelligent.

Theodoricos said:
@AeonsLegend: Would you say the same holds true for other forms of media, such as western live action shows, video games or movies in general, not just anime? Just curious about your thoughts on the matter.
Of course.
Dec 31, 2012 8:49 AM

Nov 2012
-Miyu- said:
RandomPerson2 said:
-Miyu- said:
RandomPerson2 said:
Plotwise:
Baccano!
Perfect Blue
Tokyo Godfathers
One Piece
Steins;Gate

Contentwise:
Steins;Gate
GITS
Maybe everything, but OP

Wanna start something?!
Yoshida_Haru said:

Plottwists are extremely well planned out. Every canon episode moves the story forward and for a 500 episode story is definetly an achievement. Main charcters get fleshed out and depth (some even improving on old formulas). Maintaining a constant mix of comedy, action and drama while still not making it to repetive and working from a character standpoint.
RandomPerson4Dec 31, 2012 9:00 AM
Dec 31, 2012 8:51 AM

Feb 2012
killerbass said:
The "most intelligent anime over the year award" has to goto Inferno cop.

This. Though intelligent may be too dumb of a word to accurately describe it.
Dec 31, 2012 9:31 AM

Dec 2012
Monster. If not Monster, though, then Death Note.
Dec 31, 2012 9:45 AM
Dec 2012
Hmm hard to say im gone start with Death Note then Code Geass i think that those 2 are rly good :D
Dec 31, 2012 9:46 AM

Nov 2010
RandomPerson2 said:
-Miyu- said:
RandomPerson2 said:
-Miyu- said:
RandomPerson2 said:
Plotwise:
Baccano!
Perfect Blue
Tokyo Godfathers
One Piece
Steins;Gate

Contentwise:
Steins;Gate
GITS
Maybe everything, but OP

Wanna start something?!
Yoshida_Haru said:

Plottwists are extremely well planned out. Every canon episode moves the story forward and for a 500 episode story is definetly an achievement. Main charcters get fleshed out and depth (some even improving on old formulas). Maintaining a constant mix of comedy, action and drama while still not making it to repetive and working from a character standpoint.
It also adds in themes of racism, slavery, justice, eugenics, weapons of mass destruction, etc. The continuity is also amazing, even things from the beginning of the anime are secrets that help unravel the world and the mysteries surrounding it.
Dec 31, 2012 10:03 AM

Jul 2012
Bible Black
Dec 31, 2012 10:44 AM

Feb 2008
professor-salt said:
Bible Black
Can't believe I didn't think of that one. It's a pretty "deep" anime.
Dec 31, 2012 10:46 AM

Oct 2012
RandomPerson2 said:
-Miyu- said:
RandomPerson2 said:
-Miyu- said:
RandomPerson2 said:
Plotwise:
Baccano!
Perfect Blue
Tokyo Godfathers
One Piece
Steins;Gate

Contentwise:
Steins;Gate
GITS
Maybe everything, but OP

Wanna start something?!
Yoshida_Haru said:

Then I'd throw Naruto/Shippuuden there too.
Dec 31, 2012 10:49 AM

Nov 2012
natssuu said:
RandomPerson2 said:
-Miyu- said:
RandomPerson2 said:
-Miyu- said:
RandomPerson2 said:
Plotwise:
Baccano!
Perfect Blue
Tokyo Godfathers
One Piece
Steins;Gate

Contentwise:
Steins;Gate
GITS
Maybe everything, but OP

Wanna start something?!
Yoshida_Haru said:

Then I'd throw Naruto/Shippuuden there too.

No. just no.
Dec 31, 2012 10:55 AM
Oct 2012
hmmm lets see.... Steins;Gate lawl that was awesome and insane all about science as well lawl >.<!!!!
Dec 31, 2012 10:59 AM
May 2012
Guys, I think this is the thread you're looking for:

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=445&show=4740
Dec 31, 2012 11:03 AM

Nov 2012
-Miyu- said:

What do you consider the most intelligent that you've seen then?
Dec 31, 2012 11:03 AM

Nov 2010
-Miyu- said:

Hahaha You're funny.

Dec 31, 2012 12:05 PM

Jun 2008
Pandarenboy said:
Tachii said:
Don't post if you didn't get it, then. It wasn't even replied toward you. :/
it wasnt replied towards anyone...
Reading comprehension is lacking. Look at the post you quoted. The guy is talking about how a magical notebook is pointless when we can just legalize capital punishment for every offense.
Dec 31, 2012 12:20 PM

May 2012

Ok so I've been watching Hyouka and I guess it has pretty looking animations, but the drawback about the series is... I've already seen these WITH actual tricks, lol. The 1st "case" was dragged out unnecessarily and actually makes Tantei Gakuen Q umbrella scene look good... Idk ill watch this till the end though, it's not bad even if the case drags unnecessarily and contains nothing.
Dec 31, 2012 12:30 PM
May 2012
Maybe Serial Experiments Lain
Dec 31, 2012 12:38 PM

Oct 2009
I just finished watching Steins;Gate and it is one of the most intelligent animé I have ever seen. I hate to mention Death Note because it is so damn overrated, but to be honest, it is pretty intelligent.
Dec 31, 2012 1:21 PM

May 2012
DevilSexorcist said:
the most intelligent....would have to be....The big O?...the most intelligent person...shikamaru from naruto
DR.Eggman has 300+IQ, Shikamaru has 200+, GF!
Dec 31, 2012 2:23 PM

Nov 2010
By most researched- i liked how they did "Upotte!!" but i wouldnt say it was the most intelligent. I hate the 2smart4yoo kind of animes that they try to pull, so i would go with... i dont really know which i would go with. Its kind of subjective to personal interests and opinions...
Dec 31, 2012 3:47 PM
Nov 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
-Miyu- said:

Hahaha You're funny.

Still, its kind of alarming how many times DN and Monster pop up. Why would people confuse entertaining with smart. Hell, there's nothing wrong with mid-brow entertainment. I'd even give the first half of Monster a 9. And why is nobody mentioning FMA then. Intellectually its in the same league as DN, maybe even a bit higher, and just as entertaining.
Dec 31, 2012 4:00 PM

Apr 2011
abrams said:
IntroverTurtle said:
-Miyu- said:

Hahaha You're funny.

Still, its kind of alarming how many times DN and Monster pop up. Why would people confuse entertaining with smart. Hell, there's nothing wrong with mid-brow entertainment. I'd even give the first half of Monster a 9. And why is nobody mentioning FMA then. Intellectually its in the same league as DN, maybe even a bit higher, and just as entertaining.

It is not alarming whatsoever that Monster is brought up.
“Suppose, gentlemen, that man is not stupid.”
Dec 31, 2012 4:06 PM
Nov 2012
Tachii said:
1. Death penalty for all offenses will never be implemented. I don't know why you bother to even suggest this.

2. What is this way to get rid of criminals? Tons of criminals never get caught in some parts of the world. Contrary to belief the police even in parts of developed countries are not really effective.

I won't deny Light is a hubris egomaniac but your first reason is just outright silly. It's probably one of the reasons the writer had this idea about a magical notebook. You make it sound like government of the world would just suddenly allow capital punishment for all offenses when some countries don't even have capital punishment for severe cases.

By same logic a magical notebook will never exist, discussion over. It's a hypothetical.

Pleas read the whole thing again. Wasn't his plan to eliminate the criminals of the world, or people he deems bad, to make it a better place. My argument was that getting rid of the people is not a problem, you don't need a magical notebook to do it, if anything the notebook idea is highly impractical (even if it were possible), as you would need to spend quite some time writing to get them all.

The problem is how to determine who is bad, it's not like you can see into their minds/souls/hearts. And taking it to be criminals is a gross oversimplification. By pointing out the inadequacies of the justice system (yes, they're not good at this looking into souls either) you just supported my argument.

The whole idea is poorly conceived and reflects/appeals to the childish frustration with the lack of divine justice (bad people getting away with it) in the world, and a desire to fix it personally by making oneself to be god that dishes out such justice.

Tachii said:
Reading comprehension is lacking. Look at the post you quoted.

Indeed.
abramsDec 31, 2012 6:46 PM
Dec 31, 2012 4:28 PM

Apr 2011
abrams said:
Tachii said:
1. Death penalty for all offenses will never be implemented. I don't know why you bother to even suggest this.

2. What is this way to get rid of criminals? Tons of criminals never get caught in some parts of the world. Contrary to belief the police even in parts of developed countries are not really effective.

I won't deny Light is a hubris egomaniac but your first reason is just outright silly. It's probably one of the reasons the writer had this idea about a magical notebook. You make it sound like government of the world would just suddenly allow capital punishment for all offenses when some countries don't even have capital punishment for severe cases.

By same logic a magical notebook will never exist, discussion over. It's a hypothetical.

Pleas read the whole thing again. Wasn't his plan to eliminate the criminals of the world, or people he deems bad, to make it a better place. My argument was that getting rid of the people is not a problem, you don't need a magical notebook to do it, if anything the notebook idea is highly impractical (even if it were possible), as you would need to spend quite some time writing to get them all.

And the problem is not getting rid of them, its how do you know who is bad, it's not like you can see into their minds/souls/hearts. And taking it to be criminals is a gross oversimplification. By pointing out the inadequacies of the justice system (yes, they're not good at this looking into souls either) you just supported my argument.

The whole idea is poorly conceived and reflects/appeals to the childish frustration with the lack of divine justice (bad people getting away with it) in the world, and a desire to fix it personally by making oneself to be god that dishes out such justice.

Tachii said:
Reading comprehension is lacking. Look at the post you quoted.

Indeed.

I have no stake in whether or not Death Note is intelligent, but I am capable of reading. The idea that writing someone's name in a book to kill them is impractical, perfectly describes how lazy we've become as a society. We do have a problem with "getting rid of them" or at least rehabilitating criminals if you look at recidivism rates. Of course, I don't suggest killing them all though. The idea was in fact to appeal to mankind's love of divine arbitration. Everyone loves simple solutions to complicated problems: Look at our political process in America and enjoy. And everyone has had the idea that they could do better than the current system—I find this to be a positive trait—as long as they have the merit to achieve it.
Dec 31, 2012 4:44 PM
Nov 2012
natssuu said:

Now I'm really confused about how people defines ''Intelligent show''..

This has been brought up a number of times. Intelligent is not a good word. It's got a very narrow definition and people tend to misuse it. It's also emotionally charged.

Perhaps, high-brow, philosophical would be a better description for the intention of this discussion. Deep is OK, but suffers from the same problems as intelligent.

PawnDa said:
Confusing =/= Intelligent

This is an important point to make. It's often true, especially of the mind fuck genre. People have a tendency to think along the lines "I don't get it, ergo it must be brilliant". It's easy to fall into that trap especially that a lot of shows are purposefully confusing. Most of the time however, once you get past the layer of interpretation, you find there's really very little meaning there. One should be skeptical, or just go with it and treat it as nothing more than style.

Pandarenboy said:
huh? Are you saying that Death Note sucks and everyone but you r wrong?

Not at all. If I thought it totally sucked I would give it a 1 or 2 and drop it after few episodes. It was entertaining enough, although I found the heavy overuse of cliffhangers and plot twists annoying after a while. It lacks subtlety.

I also find it quite appalling how many teenagers in Asia (or perhaps the world) found this idea of being god handing out divine justice, appealing (especially that its a poor, oversimplified version of that idea). True, at the very end the show concedes that the idea is wrong, and Light is punished, but throughout the show has you rooting for him (which if you reflect upon it, is sickening).

But the main argument is that it certainly is not high-brow, as it appeals to the lower instincts and motivations, and the emotional side (will of power, will of justice), rather than the mind.
abramsDec 31, 2012 6:50 PM
Dec 31, 2012 4:49 PM
Nov 2012
Ineptia said:

I have no stake in whether or not Death Note is intelligent, but I am capable of reading. The idea that writing someone's name in a book to kill them is impractical, perfectly describes how lazy we've become as a society. We do have a problem with "getting rid of them" or at least rehabilitating criminals if you look at recidivism rates. Of course, I don't suggest killing them all though. The idea was in fact to appeal to mankind's love of divine arbitration. Everyone loves simple solutions to complicated problems: Look at our political process in America and enjoy. And everyone has had the idea that they could do better than the current system—I find this to be a positive trait—as long as they have the merit to achieve it.

You give average people way too much credit. The fact is that the number of enlightened individuals who could even ponder the idea of remaking the society without making complete asses of themselves, is quite small. The fact that politicians suck is more or less a reflection of the fact that the public sucks.

What is worse, the people who find the idea appealing are usually not the ones you'd want to. Which could be quite dangerous.
abramsDec 31, 2012 5:00 PM
Dec 31, 2012 5:06 PM

Jun 2008
abrams said:

And the problem is not getting rid of them, its how do you know who is bad, it's not like you can see into their minds/souls/hearts. And taking it to be criminals is a gross oversimplification. By pointing out the inadequacies of the justice system (yes, they're not good at this looking into souls either) you just supported my argument.

I've heard your line of reasoning before. Thing is, it's just wickedly more interesting if there was a magical notebook. And tons of people dig the idea. It doesn't have to be practical as long as the story is interesting. It probably wasn't for you but it appealed to a lot of people.

Sidenote: Not sure if my reading comprehension reply got lost in context, lol.
Dec 31, 2012 5:07 PM

Apr 2011
abrams said:
Ineptia said:

You give average people way too much credit. The fact is that the number of enlightened individuals who could even ponder the idea of remaking the society without making complete asses of themselves, is quite small. The fact that politicians suck is more or less a reflection of the fact that the public sucks.

What is worse, the people who find the idea appealing are usually not the ones you'd want to. Which could be quite dangerous.

I didn't give anyone any credit. It takes two to tango and I specifically mentioned "political process" thus including the public, the media, the private sector, the political institutions, and the government itself. "Suck" is a rather vague adjective and I have a better one for you, "self-serving". I still hold fast to the idea that it is a positive trait to want to correct or improve the system of law or whatever else. This is the root of all progress. It comes with danger sure, but what doesn't? If we admit the system is broken: It's only evidence that it is dangerous to continue as is.
Dec 31, 2012 5:10 PM

Sep 2011
Huh, I am more and more convinced that Watching monster would be a good idea
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Dec 31, 2012 5:12 PM

Aug 2012

I'm still thinking of one.
Dec 31, 2012 5:13 PM
May 2012
MellowJello said:

Still thinking of cod?
Dec 31, 2012 5:13 PM

Aug 2012
-Miyu- said:
MellowJello said:

Still thinking of cod?

Exactly. Mmmm...
Dec 31, 2012 5:21 PM

Nov 2010
Fullmetal alchemist
death note
Dec 31, 2012 5:32 PM
Nov 2012
Ineptia said:

"Suck" is a rather vague adjective and I have a better one for you, "self-serving".

I was being facetious (humorous, droll). I'm not against change, if there is a need for it, even a revolution could be in order. It's just that the kind of people that call for it are usually the least qualified. Hence the modern day oxymoron of a "conservative revolution". It's good for a laugh.

If you take a run of the mill dangerous fanatic, you will find that they are full of good intentions (for their people/cause that is), and convinced they have the truth, justice and maybe even god on their side and thus can do no wrong. So basically like an activist only with guns and bombs.

I also don't believe in organic change, not when it comes to societies. It's a silly idea that has never worked to achieve anything that wasn't insignificant. Or the merits of democracy. Systemic corruption can only be stamped out by force, and who is going to do that, who is willing, yes you guessed, the wrong kind of people. But I believe we have strayed of the topic quite a bit.
abramsDec 31, 2012 6:04 PM
Dec 31, 2012 5:51 PM

Apr 2011
abrams said:
Ineptia said:

"Suck" is a rather vague adjective and I have a better one for you, "self-serving".

I was being facetious. I'm not against change, if there is a need for it, even a revolution could be in order. It's just that the kind of people that call for it are usually the least qualified. Hence the modern day oxymoron of a "conservative revolution". It's good for a laugh.

If you take a run of the mill dangerous fanatic, you will find that they are full of good intentions (for their people/cause that is), and convinced they have the truth, justice and maybe even god on their side and thus can do no wrong. So basically like an activist only with guns and bombs.

I also don't believe in organic change, not when it comes to societies. It's a silly idea that has never worked to achieve anything that wasn't insignificant. Or the merits of democracy. Systemic corruption can only be stamped out by force, and who is going to do that, who is willing, yes you guessed, the wrong kind of people. But I believe we have strayed of the topic quite a bit.

I wouldn't call that being facetious (It wasn't funny to use "suck" or even irreverent as it's a common refrain; I know what it means), being that the premise is correct. In a Republic or Democracy, the public holds responsibility for the government as opposed to an autocracy. (A paraphrase from LoGH which I consider the most intelligent anime I've seen—I'm still on topic!) I never accused you of being against change, but against the elements of change, of which, you still are. I don't agree with your last tangent either, but to stay on topic I won't pursue it.
IneptiaDec 31, 2012 8:16 PM
Dec 31, 2012 6:39 PM
Nov 2012
Tachii said:
abrams said:

I've heard your line of reasoning before. Thing is, it's just wickedly more interesting if there was a magical notebook. And tons of people dig the idea. It doesn't have to be practical as long as the story is interesting. It probably wasn't for you but it appealed to a lot of people.
That was not a line of reasoning, that was sarcasm, pointing out that both are hypothetical.

Hell, I'd hate to repeat myself but I kind of dig the show too, it's not perfect but quite entertaining. There's even an allusion to the new testament in the scene where he's washing his feet (that was a nice touch).

But overall it's just not a very smart show. It attempts, I'll give it that, but fails, and it's mid-brow at best (being liberal here). And the fact that people find the notebook so appealing that they'd want to have one is alarming. Perhaps they should work on introspection a bit, and not forget that in the end Light was a bad guy. Oh but I've already explained it in the post above.

Tachii said:
That was more sarcasm, hope you don't get offended or anything.
Dec 31, 2012 6:41 PM

Feb 2008
Tachii said:
abrams said:

I just randomly checked anime lists of people that posted Death Note in this topic. I now understand why they think Death Note is intelligent. Most people have to compare it to naruto and bleach.
Dec 31, 2012 6:44 PM

Oct 2012
AeonsLegend said:
I just randomly checked anime lists of people that posted Death Note in this topic. I now understand why they think Death Note is intelligent. Most people have to compare it to naruto and bleach.

Comical, isn't it?

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Dec 31, 2012 8:06 PM

May 2012
I guess Spiral should be added to the list after thinking for a sec.
Dec 31, 2012 8:21 PM

Nov 2010
k11chi said:
Added to what list?
Dec 31, 2012 8:30 PM

Jan 2012
spiral
gallery fake
death note
aoi bungaku (especially the 3rd story)
one piece
hunter x hunter
code geass
perfect blue
Dec 31, 2012 9:09 PM

Jun 2008
IntroverTurtle said:
k11chi said:
Added to what list?
Why the intelligent anime list of course.
Dec 31, 2012 9:11 PM

Jan 2012
Tachii said:
IntroverTurtle said:
k11chi said:
Added to what list?

i like u
Dec 31, 2012 9:29 PM

Nov 2010
Tachii said:
IntroverTurtle said:
k11chi said:
Added to what list?
I don't think so.
Dec 31, 2012 9:34 PM

Jan 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Tachii said:
IntroverTurtle said:
k11chi said:
Added to what list?
I don't think so.

that's your opinion
Dec 31, 2012 9:36 PM

Nov 2010
renders said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Tachii said:
IntroverTurtle said:
k11chi said:
Added to what list?
I don't think so.

that's your opinion
Well then tell me what is intelligent about the show, that no other show does?
Dec 31, 2012 10:24 PM

Jan 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
renders said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Tachii said:
IntroverTurtle said:
k11chi said:
Added to what list?
I don't think so.

that's your opinion
Well then tell me what is intelligent about the show, that no other show does?

it doesn't matter if I tell you or not since you already said you didn't enjoyed it.that's like somebody trying to tell me hotd is intelligent which I hated.
the show had it's mind games,cases,tests and philosophical matters that get explored better in the manga but as I said it's ok if you didn't like it.the anime had a good first half but the fillerish 2nd half ruined it
Pages (18) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» 🌸Anime Spring 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Sep 5

178 by WaterMage »»
2 minutes ago

» Why doesn't most psychological anime explore the psyche of their characters?

Deathlydash - 6 hours ago

8 by Gaurxv »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Best character with finite mana

Catalano - 2 hours ago

6 by Coaghim »»
18 minutes ago

» Am I the only one who's watched Tokyo Mew Mew

Jukemania - Yesterday

23 by DesuMaiden »»
19 minutes ago

» Most Disappointing "Good" Shows ( 1 2 )

Treatise - Sep 19

56 by Lucifrost »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.