Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Manga Rankings for September 10th - 16th

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 22, 2012 11:04 AM

Oct 2010
phoenixalia said:
Downgrade355 said:

Code;Breaker has potential, but they screwed it up in many points, not to mention the mangaka is female, i'm not trying to discriminate here, but female mangaka almost never make a solid Shounen. FT whoops CB in every aspect...except for the jiggle gangs .__.

and its those shaky shonen which are fujoshi bait which make a lot of money for anime producers. XD ao no exorcist, code breaker, kurobas(I still think from time to time...is the mangaka really male? O_O), FMA(yes, fujoshi loved it too) samurai kyo like the person above said, black butler, DRRR and so on. so while they may not make the greatest shonens....they do attract the ladies. XD

I'll be honest. The reason I started really reading Code Breaker and Black Butler was for the bishies since I usually stay away from shonen manga since I find them boring. X3

Oh and I'm looking forward to Magi too. :D I was planning reading it but now I'll watch it instead.

Knb mangaka is male. Adding to the list, don't forget CLAMP's Reservoir Chronicle (which is shonen written by females), and Katekyo Hitman Reborn.

SupremeZero said:
still wondering how the hell conan is still running after 7x volumes xD

Yeah, after 7x volumes one has to wonder if Conan attracts shinigami wherever he goes.

jmal said:
Regarding the whole "anime is not just an advertisement" vs. "anime is just an advertisement"... the truth is somewhere in between, guys.

It's true that anime is almost always trying to push sales of something else. Manga, novels, visual novels, games, etc are pretty obvious examples. Even original anime usually hopes to push sales of figures and other merchandise. And of course anime aimed at younger audiences push this phenomenon to its limits, where home video sales are utterly beside the point and it's all about toys, toys, toys.

But I'd say a majority of anime still hope to at least recoup production costs through DVD/BD sales. And certainly a fair number of production committees have high hopes of making a hit. I don't think anyone involved with SAO intended the anime as a pure loss leader for the novels. A smash hit was expected in both formats, and plenty of other merch besides.

As for why creators don't just slap together a short one-shot anime as "enough" for the purpose of advertising? Because it's not enough. Viewers have certain expectations, and if they're not at least interested in the show, the chances of their buying whatever the anime is trying to drive sales of decreases. They don't have to be interested enough to buy it on BD, but still interested enough to watch some and seek out the source material (see Another or Kore wa Zombie Desu ka).

So yes, anime is often an advertisement, and a strategic investment, which may be treated as a loss leader or as an expected home video hit - it's taken on a case by case basis.

you just summarized my thought (which I didn't bother to type because it's too much a drag for my brain) with even better examples.

~ IA- Aria on the Planetes ~ Vocaloid V3 voiced by LiA (Clannad Afterstory, Angel Beats! theme song singer)
Sep 22, 2012 1:34 PM

Aug 2010
Wow, "Kyou no Kira-kun" at #15 for manga! I didn't know "Kyou no Kira-kun" is quite famous in Japan.. And that it's already at volume 3!! :o

The novels for "Sword Art Online" are really selling...
Sep 22, 2012 1:39 PM

Nov 2008
*4, 104,305 *,105,736 Happy Marriage!? Vol.10
19, *30,499 *,*63,216 Btooom! Vol.9
nice to see them up there
Sep 22, 2012 2:12 PM

Mar 2010
why SAO sell so good? anime is pretty average, i don't see anything special about it -_-
also Detective Conan only 49,087? shame
Do pop-up headlights really endanger pedestrians that much?
Sep 22, 2012 2:33 PM

Feb 2012
TrollMeAllOver said:
why SAO sell so good? anime is pretty average, i don't see anything special about it -_-

Fanbase + Expectations.
Sep 22, 2012 2:53 PM

Dec 2007
I wonder of SAO will become the next Totoro?

and Yay for Ao Haru Ride, Akagami no Shirayukihime for still being alive and Chihayafuru taking the no. 1 spot :D
Sep 22, 2012 6:14 PM
Aug 2012
Btoom isnt being translated anymore is it? its in the 50's on mangafox but I heard the raws are like 30 ahead. :(
"届どいた....手紙?" - スワ(オレンジ)
Sep 22, 2012 6:50 PM
Aug 2011
TrollMeAllOver said:

It depends on when Conan came out too. It might of come out on the last day of the week. Have to wait for second week for full week sales.
Sep 22, 2012 7:50 PM

Aug 2011
Hell yeah Chihayafuru! Glad to see it's getting the love it deserves.
Sep 23, 2012 12:29 AM

Jan 2010
SKET Dance & Code:Breaker +_________+
Sep 23, 2012 4:33 AM

Sep 2010
Sao still strong.
Also happy to see Chihayafuru up there :D
Sep 24, 2012 5:39 PM

Jan 2009
I'm happy to see Baccano there.

Congrats to SAO for selling so much.
What makes you really feel secure is knowing that somebody more pathetic than yourself exists out there.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Ranma ½' Gets New Anime Adaptation ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

58 by AfroWarrior27 »»
11 minutes ago

» 'Babanbabanban Vampire' Unveils Main Cast, Production Staff, Teaser Promo, Winter 2025 Premiere

DatRandomDude - Jun 24

3 by Memore »»
2 hours ago

» Light Novel 'Fuguushoku "Kanteishi" ga Jitsu wa Saikyou Datta' Receives TV Anime in 2025

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

6 by RobertBobert »»
7 hours ago

» 'Unnamed Memory' Gets Second Season in Winter 2025

Nioxys - Yesterday

12 by MegamiRem »»
7 hours ago

» 'Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu' Gets Third Season

DatRandomDude - Jun 24

8 by Hartm12 »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.