Forum Settings
Forums
New
Which do you prefer?
Only subs - original audio is best.
45.9%
Mostly subbed, some dubbed.
29.7%
Only dubbed - I like it in my native language.
2.3%
Mostly dubbed, some subbed.
8.0%
Both subbed and dubbed equally.
11.5%
Raw.
2.6%
2,442 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (63) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 » ... Last »
Sep 7, 2008 6:47 AM

Aug 2008
only sub... i hate to watch with dub
Sep 7, 2008 1:23 PM

Jun 2008
I watch them usually subbed. Either in English or German. That doesn't matter.
But there are some dubs that arent't bad at all. (Speaking about German dub btw.) Rare cases though.
Sep 7, 2008 1:55 PM

Sep 2008
Subs.
But Its kinda funny when you watch the anime in English en the movie ( like Air the movie) In English! ^^
Sep 7, 2008 3:11 PM

May 2008
Japanese dub. What we all call sub or raw.
I usually go with SUB because I usually have the priority of watching the story first instead of pulling out my dictionary everytime they say something, that comes later.

I prefer Japanese dub because:
1. Many times I feel the voices fit better.
2. Less likely for something to be lost in translation.
3. I like the sound of Japanese.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Sep 8, 2008 10:46 AM

Sep 2008
I actually prefer dubs for the most part. The worst is Gaogaigar US dvd releases...first half dubbed, second half sub only grrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Sep 8, 2008 11:12 AM

Jul 2008
I started out Dubbed then went to sub and i can't seem to go back. Dubbed seems to censor to much just from what i have seen so far.
Sep 8, 2008 11:22 AM

Apr 2008
I prefer subs.
Sep 8, 2008 2:34 PM

Aug 2008
Subbed, always!!

Actually I have watched WAY more dubbed anime than subbed.
I started watching dubbed anime 3 years ago, and I have been watching anime since I was like 5, so you do the math. ~I'am 16 by the way.
It really depends if the voice actors suck or not, and if the anime has been formatted or edited.
For example, I thought that the dub of Full Metal Alchemist and Inuyasha were done beutifuly.
An example of an uber gay dub, would be 4kid's dub of One Piece.

Out of 600+ people, 85%^ think that subbed stuff is better than dubbed.... That must sent a clear message to those crappy Industries that dub anime in the U.S. and around the world, outside Japan, that they do a bad job.
Sep 8, 2008 5:05 PM
Jul 2018
Subtitles.

For example, Bleach subs >>>> Bleach dub.
Sep 8, 2008 5:32 PM

Feb 2008
SUBBED! 86.10%

DUBBED! 11.21%

Wow.
Sep 8, 2008 6:17 PM

Jan 2008
Well I watch them subbed ^.^ I don't like the voices in dubbed :p
Sep 12, 2008 1:54 PM

Feb 2008
Dubbed just because i've gotten accustomed to reading than listening

Sep 12, 2008 3:05 PM

Sep 2008
Subs because I don't have to have sound to know what's going on
Sep 12, 2008 3:31 PM

May 2008
Subbed i think it sounds better in english it sounds kinda fake to me when its subbed it feels more real
Sep 12, 2008 5:51 PM

Sep 2008
I try to watch dubs if they're good, but if the dub is abysmal and has way too many changes I drop it. Initial D is one such example. Even if a dub misses the mark like 1 or 2 times I will still watch it if it still manages to sound decent. For example, I didn't like the fact that the ROD TV dub literally translated the "Nenene-nee" joke but I still watched it because of Yomiko's British accent.
Sep 12, 2008 6:07 PM

Aug 2008
I like dubbed more then subbed because i would want my characters speaking in english . But i still do watch the bleach subs and into Naruto Shippuden and the other stuff from Bleach Exile
Sep 30, 2008 2:50 AM

Jul 2008
Subbed. Just because dubbed versions mess with the characters too much.

Sep 30, 2008 2:54 AM

Apr 2008
Subbed, no doubt. I loved how those Japanese VA's do their job. Anime is best with japanese audion. With subbed videos, I can learn more Japanese.

Sep 30, 2008 4:48 AM

Sep 2008
Alot of anime I watch isnt english dubbed so I just watch with subs. Every once in a while I download a hard to find anime and its raw so I watch it like that. I watch dubbed anime but I lean more towards subbed anime.
Sep 30, 2008 4:50 AM

Jul 2007
Some dubbed animes are done very well I think. It just depends on how you want to watch a series.

I can go for either/or.
Sep 30, 2008 5:16 AM

Jul 2008
Dubs are really suck imo. I always prefer original.
Sep 30, 2008 7:11 AM

Apr 2008
Subs FTW tho i do see parts a a series dubbed to see how they did it and they always send a shiver down my spine

i prefer having my anime in the original format, uncensored, not dubbed, no chages in terms or what ever

oko za oko, zub za zub - eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth
Sep 30, 2008 11:21 AM

Sep 2008
Subs ftw.

Dubs sound lame and OTT usually. Not to mention the Japanese VAs sound cuter generally.

I can watch raw but it's quite hard work for me, and involves lots of pausing and rewinding, and I'm really too lazy for that.

Sep 30, 2008 11:41 AM

Apr 2008
Subs, sometimes Dubs.
Sep 30, 2008 12:37 PM

Aug 2008
Dubs, if possible, but about 75% of what I watch is subbed. Also, unless I've seen an anime in Japanese first and then try to watch a dubbed version, I don't ever find dubs to be bad.
Sep 30, 2008 12:40 PM

Aug 2008
If it's on Adult Swim I'll watch it dubbed for the hell of it but I mostly watch Subs or Raws.
Oct 1, 2008 8:48 AM

May 2008
Subbed. Dub was for when I was an anime nub or its just conveniant.
Oct 1, 2008 10:31 AM

Aug 2008
Subbed! For I love the japanese voices they fit the best!^-^
Oct 1, 2008 11:50 AM

Sep 2008
Only dub I ever liked was for cowboy bebop, otherwise dubs make me wanna stab kittens with bullets
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Oct 1, 2008 1:21 PM

Apr 2008
Mimi-chin said:
Subbed! For I love the japanese voices they fit the best!^-^

i agree with that but i sometimes i have people asking me how i can watch it in Japanese because they assume they sound the same and that is what one person said to be before

oko za oko, zub za zub - eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth
Oct 16, 2008 9:01 AM

Sep 2008
subbed, of course! the real deal is always the best! the subs have to be clear enuff to see, though, and the translation has to be accurate. ^_^d

Oct 16, 2008 5:18 PM

Sep 2008
I can take it either. I prefer dubs, but it's not gonna stop me from watching subs. But if I start with one language I can't watch the other is most cases. I get so used to the characters voice it messes with me when it's different.
Oct 16, 2008 5:20 PM

Oct 2008
well i tend to watch raws more because im pretty impatient.
Oct 22, 2008 8:21 AM

Jun 2007
Subbed!
Oct 22, 2008 9:43 AM

Mar 2008
I only watch english dubbed anime, will never ever watch other dubbed anime, subbed anime, or RAWs/RAW anime.

I only watch english dubbed anime cuz I prefer watching stuff in my (own) language, which is English ^_^.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection
Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
Oct 22, 2008 11:24 AM

Sep 2008
Not that bothered about the language. I'll watch either.
All depends on whichever version I find first.

Though I have heard some truly cringeworthy dubs...
Oct 22, 2008 12:50 PM

Jun 2008
Baby_Naruto said:
I only watch english dubbed anime, will never ever watch other dubbed anime, subbed anime, or RAWs/RAW anime.

I only watch english dubbed anime cuz I prefer watching stuff in my (own) language, which is English ^_^.

Your missing a lot of good series if you only watch english dub.
(づ°‿°.)づ
Oct 22, 2008 1:12 PM

Mar 2008
Ontario said:
Baby_Naruto said:

I KNOW that LOL. I have good faith in companies like FUNimation and Viz Media picking up the right animes for me, so I'm set for life.

Oct 22, 2008 1:22 PM

Jun 2008
Baby_Naruto said:
Ontario said:
Baby_Naruto said:

I KNOW that LOL. I have good faith in companies like FUNimation and Viz Media picking up the right animes for me, so I'm set for life.

You'll watch subbed one day, mah boy.
(づ°‿°.)づ
Oct 22, 2008 1:23 PM

Mar 2008
Ontario said:
Baby_Naruto said:
Ontario said:
Baby_Naruto said:

NO! *repels him with fansubber spray*

Oct 22, 2008 1:24 PM

Jun 2008
Baby_Naruto said:
Ontario said:
Baby_Naruto said:
Ontario said:
Baby_Naruto said:

You will.

(づ°‿°.)づ
Oct 22, 2008 1:26 PM

Mar 2008
Ontario said:
Baby_Naruto said:
Ontario said:
Baby_Naruto said:
Ontario said:
Baby_Naruto said:

You will.

I just sprayed you, you should be dying!

Oct 24, 2008 12:13 AM

Oct 2008
Sub and Dub^^
Oct 24, 2008 12:44 AM

Apr 2008
Well, it's nice to watch dubbed anime without reading subtitles. I mean, I know it's not much extra effort to read them, but when you're watching a TV show don't you prefer to just listen?

Anyway, despite that, I like to go with subbed most of the time. The original voices sound more natural for the characters, and that way I can learn some Japanese too. ^_^ On top of that, since my favorite anime hasn't even been dubbed (Well, it has, but I choose not to acknowledge that abomination - nothing 4Kids does should ever be considered 'dubbing'), I don't have much of a choice in the matter.

So, I'll watch either version as long as the dub is uncut, but given the choice, I will probably pick subbed.
Oct 24, 2008 1:29 AM

Nov 2007
Baby_Naruto said:

Unfortunately a good amount of anime is never licensed. Easily half of what airs every season goes ignored. Also certain genres that are pretty neglected. You are limiting yourself only watching dubs, but I suppose if you're watching it on TV or buying the DVDs and supporting the industry, it's fine.
Oct 24, 2008 3:25 AM

Jun 2007
Where's the "both" option? I used to hate English dubs, but eventually I found some good ones, and started following certain studios, actors, and directors. All thanks to this series, which proved that "different from the Japanese version" did not have to mean "worse," like it did with shows like Sailor Moon, Cardcaptors, and DBZ.
Asako said:
Unfortunately a good amount of anime is never licensed. Easily half of what airs every season goes ignored. Also certain genres that are pretty neglected. You are limiting yourself only watching dubs, but I suppose if you're watching it on TV or buying the DVDs and supporting the industry, it's fine.
ShiBuki said:
Dub fans prefer watching it in their own language and they don’t like to read subtitle. They also support anime by buying the products of R1 distributors, the companies who help spreading anime into the American culture. They also may recognize certain voice actors and all that.

The sub fans don’t want the creators' vision to be compromised by untrained English voice talents. Though, a lot of dubs are very well done (e.g. Spirited Away, Samurai Champloo). After watching sub after sub after sub, they’re used to watching anime in the original Japanese voice, thus automatically think anime is better that way.
I know the second one an older quote, but I haven't been on these forums much. What I'm curious about is: Why are acts like buying R1 DVDs and "supporting the industry" considered something exclusive to dub fans? Those DVDs do have the Japanese track with subtitles, as well as the English audio. Buying them is a contribution to the global anime industry no matter which language track you watch. Sub fans don't want to see the "compromised version"? Well nobody's holding a gun to their head forcing them to listen to the English track when they put that DVD in the player. As I like to say, "How does an English dub 'ruin' an anime just by existing?"

And really, most of the quality complaints about English dubs are completely outdated. Editing/Censorship? The number of shows that get edited dubs is dwarfed by the number of shows that get completely uncut releases, where the English dub is essentially the same show in a different language.

And before anybody questions me on this: I don't condemn anybody for watching fansubs or even R1 DVD-rips, because it's not like I don't do those things myself. But I'm a believer and a practitioner of "If you like it, buy it." It's in our best interest as fansub watchers that the global anime industry have profitability, or else we'll see a decline in the quality and quantity of anime available. It's unfair to expect Japanese DVD buyers to subsidize our habits 100%.

Everything that connects to MAL

Contains Ecchi, but not Tagged Ecchi: Part 1 || Part 2 || Part 3

Oct 24, 2008 3:29 AM

Nov 2007
And what exactly were you addressing in quoting me? What I said doesn't have anything to do with anything you just said, really. As I said, if people who like dubs buy the DVDs, great. That's all there is to it. I buy craptons of DVDs too, but I never watch dub tracks. That's the glory of DVDs.
Oct 24, 2008 5:02 AM

Jul 2008
Subbed, no contest. I just can't get along with English speaking anime. It very rarely works.

The only good dubs I can think of are Dragonball Z and Guyver.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Oct 24, 2008 5:05 AM

Feb 2008
Touka said:
Subbed, no contest. I just can't get along with English speaking anime. It very rarely works.

The only good dubs I can think of are Dragonball Z and Guyver.
+ Sailor Moon.

That's the only anime I will watch in DUB. Subs all the way, I don't care if I get all these dub fans calling me a 'sub snob'. I'd choose quality over my own language anyday.
Oct 24, 2008 10:46 AM

Oct 2008
i usually like subs but there are some anime that i think are good dubbed =)!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (63) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What makes you identify a bad anime right from the start?

KMIR - 8 hours ago

30 by Akuya »»
3 minutes ago

» Why doesn't Hollywood take risk anymore unlike the anime industry?

Spunkert - Today

33 by BadGuyBoog »»
12 minutes ago

» 🌸Anime Spring 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Sep 5

246 by Scavendgarr »»
13 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character that you whole-heartedly hate? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

swirlydragon - Apr 17, 2021

204 by LordCrueltyV »»
21 minutes ago

» What Anime is boring to you ( 1 2 )

Kirika_Madeleine - Yesterday

51 by KodomoKomodo »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.