Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 3, 2013 3:29 PM

Jan 2013
hi i am wanting to form a band and am having trouble with the name.So far i have a few decent ones like:behind wounded eyes,suffering i stand,depraved to the grave,and farewell to sanity.please tell me which one sounds the best.also tell me any other band names you can come up with.Thanks ^~^
Jun 3, 2013 7:07 PM
Mar 2013
Those names are very very stereotypical of the genre. The whole Bring me the Horizon sound is already considered very dated, so by using a name like that you'd be lumping yourself into a fad that's not even very fresh anymore. My advice is go for something less melodramatic. (and Depraved to the Grave isn't melodramatic, but it's based on a really corny rhyme.)
Jun 3, 2013 7:31 PM

Jan 2013
You should make a band with a more standout name, try something like Necronomicopter, Destroying the fish of God, or The European Killing Swallow.
I don't have a signature.
Jun 3, 2013 7:59 PM

Mar 2010
I'm going to give you the best band name I ever thought of, so I hope you appreciate it!

THE FRIGHTEENS!

Get it... like frightened teens... or frightening teens...

On second thought fuck you I'm keeping it!

Depraved to the Grave is clearly the best one. Stick with that.
Jun 3, 2013 8:25 PM

Oct 2008
"The European Killing Swallow" i like this one
Jun 3, 2013 8:56 PM

Jan 2012
Defecate On My Face.
Jun 3, 2013 8:57 PM

Aug 2012
"Pure Sexism"
Jun 3, 2013 9:01 PM

Sep 2011
"Hitler did nothing wrong" with your soon to be hit first single "If her age is on the clock shes ready for the cock". Only on fuckmyass records

Hey this way people will remember your band more than others

In all seriousness just name it whatever, name doesnt matter if you're music is worth giving a shit about. You already got your names so pick whatever one you like best
JizzyHitlerJun 3, 2013 9:05 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 3, 2013 9:10 PM
Mar 2013
MyLonesomeCowboy said:
I'm going to give you the best band name I ever thought of, so I hope you appreciate it!

THE FRIGHTEENS!

OP, listen to the Big Black album in this guy's avatar to hear post-hardcore done right.
Jun 3, 2013 9:11 PM

Sep 2011
Cbubbles said:
MyLonesomeCowboy said:

THE FRIGHTEENS!

OP, listen to the Big Black album in this guy's avatar to hear post-hardcore done right.
since when was songs about fucking a post hardcore album? Post hardcore wasnt even a thing when that album came out

And seeing how the original posthardcore sound sounded like this

I dont see how songs about fucking can count as one.
JizzyHitlerJun 3, 2013 9:17 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 3, 2013 11:37 PM
Mar 2013
Post-hardcore is an umbrella term. BB obviously came from the hardcore punk scene, yet they couldn't easily be pigeonholed as just a hardcore band (pretty much what the genre means in a nutshell). Same with The Jesus Lizard, Cows, etc. Back in the day they were either called post-whatever or noise rock.

The term was also used to refer to early emo music (Rites of Spring etc) and then even later used to refer to emo-leaning metalcore.

tldr post-hardcore wasn't always skinny teens with scene hair crying about wetting their beds, and it really doesn't have a distinct "sound". It's one of the most misused terms out there.
CbubblesJun 3, 2013 11:52 PM
Jun 4, 2013 1:44 AM

Mar 2010
@Cbubbles: Please stop. You're ruining music.
Jun 4, 2013 2:05 AM

Apr 2013
Pet rock shenanigans.
I love naruto~kun he's my husbando~~~~
Jun 4, 2013 5:39 AM

Oct 2008
MyLonesomeCowboy said:
more like he's helping people understand certain aspects of music and their origins
Jun 4, 2013 10:27 AM

Sep 2008
0 / 10.
Jun 4, 2013 10:52 AM
Mar 2013
MyLonesomeCowboy said:

Hey, I was replying to someone who got all pedantic about how I labelled a band. I shouldn't have to add some hippie disclaimer like "but at the end of the day genres are meaningless, it's all music maaaaan :D" to talk a little about terminology.

quack.
CbubblesJun 4, 2013 10:58 AM
Jun 4, 2013 6:58 PM

Mar 2010
No,

what you were doing was flaunting your "sophisticated" taste music in a way that is 1. totally unrelated to the topic at hand (we're here to talk about hypothetical band names...), and 2. embarrassingly dogmatic.

Getting all anal about genre names (especially any names containing words like post-,proto-, gaze, wave, etc.) is pointless. Music journalism has become obsessed with nomenclature and it has effected the way in which people think about and stratify music, but obviously very few musical artists go about naming their sound.

So it's your attitude, that you are some kind of authority on the true meaning of "post-hardcore" and that your version of "post-hardcore" is somehow so superior to the OPs that your comment was somehow warranted, is what I take issue with.

Also, Big Black is Pigfuck. Idiot.
Jun 4, 2013 7:14 PM

Feb 2013
Double meanings are always fun. Try something like "Groundbreaking"

Obviously with a name like this, you must create an amazing sound or influence the genre in some way unimaginable.

Of course, if you end up sucking ass, you can always just go by the second meaning "Ground Breaking" which in the world of death can mean the shovel that breaks the ground of the grave that you and your fellow band-mates will have dug for yourselves.

GLHF
Jun 4, 2013 7:31 PM

Dec 2012
How about, As I Bail Murder?
Jun 4, 2013 7:55 PM

Feb 2013
IntervisioN said:
How about, As I Bail Murder?

I see what you did there.
Jun 4, 2013 10:47 PM

Aug 2009
Cbubbles said:
Those names are very very stereotypical of the genre.

Of the post-hardcore genre. Not death metal.

Just sayin'. Two different worlds.

Jun 5, 2013 2:19 AM

Jun 2013
Death's Embrace ?
Jun 5, 2013 2:02 PM

Oct 2009
"behind wounded eyes"

Generic.

"suffering i stand"

Wat

"depraved to the grave"

lol, are you 5? You don't make your band name a fucking nursery rhyme XD

"farewell to sanity"

Meh.

Jun 5, 2013 2:20 PM

Sep 2011
Fart Troopers.
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Jun 5, 2013 2:28 PM

Jun 2010
Bison- said:
Defecate On My Face.

+1
Jun 5, 2013 2:31 PM

Aug 2009
QueenJenny said:

Dude! The Queen Jennys! That could totally work as an alt rock band name! It kinda has that Queens of the Stone Age appeal.

Jun 5, 2013 2:49 PM

Sep 2011
FacelessVixen said:
QueenJenny said:

Dude! The Queen Jennys! That could totally work as an alt rock band name! It kinda has that Queens of the Stone Age appeal.

I'm being completely sincere when I say I actually like this idea. Wouldn't fit a death metal band nearly as well though.

Jun 5, 2013 2:58 PM

Oct 2012
These metal bands always have such corny names. I'm not a metal fan, but I think you'd be better suited to come up with a more personal name instead of trying hard to be hardcore.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 5, 2013 3:55 PM

Jan 2013
QueenJenny said:
FacelessVixen said:
QueenJenny said:

I'm being completely sincere when I say I actually like this idea. Wouldn't fit a death metal band nearly as well though.

It would fit the genre a lot better than "Fart troopers" :\

Also "Die to Kill"?
I don't have a signature.
Jun 5, 2013 4:12 PM

Sep 2011
ixsetf said:

It would fit the genre a lot better than "Fart troopers" :

Also "Die to Kill"?

Fart Troopers is still a good name in and of itself.

Jun 5, 2013 4:28 PM

Aug 2009
katsucats said:
These metal bands always have such corny names.

katsucats said:
I'm not a metal fan...

Then please, for the sake of Meshuggah, don't talk.

Jun 5, 2013 5:14 PM

Oct 2012
FacelessVixen said:
katsucats said:
These metal bands always have such corny names.
katsucats said:
I'm not a metal fan...
Then please, for the sake of Meshuggah, don't talk.
LOL

If a band needs a hardcore name to be hardcore, then I think we both know the problem with the music industry -- metal fans who go, "Yeah!! I like XzSephirothzX's music because they're named Suffering I Stand.", instead of, "Yeah!! I like Suffering I Stand because they're playing XzSephirothzX's music." And we know it's the former, because if it were the latter, there wouldn't be so many bands with all these tryhard names. XzSephirothzX's band could be named Rain and Roses for anyone cares, and no one would say, "Dude! Rain and Roses are so soft. Go join a boy band faggots."

The fact that metal bands are somewhat expected to have hardcore names is kind of funny...
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 5, 2013 5:21 PM

Aug 2012
katsucats said:
These metal bands always have such corny names. I'm not a metal fan, but I think you'd be better suited to come up with a more personal name instead of trying hard to be hardcore.

LOL!
Jun 6, 2013 1:30 AM

Aug 2009
katsucats said:
If a band needs a hardcore name to be hardcore, then I think we both know the problem with the music industry -- metal fans who go, "Yeah!! I like XzSephirothzX's music because they're named Suffering I Stand.", instead of, "Yeah!! I like Suffering I Stand because they're playing XzSephirothzX's music." And we know it's the former, because if it were the latter, there wouldn't be so many bands with all these tryhard names. XzSephirothzX's band could be named Rain and Roses for anyone cares, and no one would say, "Dude! Rain and Roses are so soft. Go join a boy band faggots."

The fact that metal bands are somewhat expected to have hardcore names is kind of funny...

*groan*

Maybe Five Finger Facepalm can work as a band name.

Jun 7, 2013 7:23 PM

Mar 2012
Sunshine Sparkles
Jun 7, 2013 9:32 PM

Jul 2012
Happiness Sanity
Jun 15, 2013 1:19 AM

Jan 2013
Ive managed to come up with a few more that are a bit more unique death metalish names like drown out the masses,as it splatters,swimming in nitrogen,mortify and demoralize,cripple the caring,and as hell breaks free. and i know the name doesnt matter that much but it can make a difference because nobody will listen to a band if the name is shitty.
Jun 15, 2013 1:55 AM

Aug 2009
Perhaps you can just search for random words on DarkLyrics.com or Metal-Archives.com to see what comes up.

That, and you don't really have to try so hard to come up with something original. There are plenty of bands out there who have the same name as another band but play different genres and sub-genres of music. ...Though most of them seem to be European based on a quick two item search.

Just name your band Evangelist. It's a cool word. Use it.

Jun 15, 2013 2:07 AM

Jun 2013
''The swordswallowers''
Jun 15, 2013 4:14 AM
Apr 2008
Entrails
( . )

More topics from this board

» Post songs that you are addicted to right now

tsukareru - 11 hours ago

8 by mokkocchi »»
15 minutes ago

» This is one the most gay music vids i have seen^^

tsukareru - Yesterday

1 by Zettaiken »»
2 hours ago

» Favorite childhood TV shows?

56709 - Apr 17

26 by 707supremacist »»
Yesterday, 5:26 PM

Poll: » Game of Thrones vs Attack on Titan

DOSS300 - Mar 26

11 by WatchTillTandava »»
Yesterday, 4:54 PM

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7587 by SilentAssassin88 »»
Yesterday, 1:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.