Forum Settings
Forums

why do people think that because people dont do/arent as good at something that it leaves them with no right to criticise?

New
Dec 9, 2012 9:05 AM

Jun 2012
I see this all the time.

Say someone shows a drawing on youtube for example, and then someone comments saying "Its a bit out of proprotion, that arm looks stupid" then everyone else comment saying things like "id like to see you do better" or "do a better one and make vid dipshit"

happens in anime and manga on occasion to, someone will say something has a bad story or isnt interesting and people just say "you write a better story"

The people they are saying it to might not even be an artist or a writer or whatever the thing is in question, but they still have a right in pointing out things they dont like/flaws.

have you seen this before? and what do you think?
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Dec 9, 2012 9:08 AM

Feb 2010
SAO is not overrated.
LUL

Oct 2012
If it's constructive criticism, I think it's fair.
If it's blantant along the lines of "your drawing sucks", then yeah, I'd be saying as well, "well let's see you do better".
ShoryuDec 9, 2012 9:14 AM

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.

Sep 2011
The whole

""if you cant do better you cant criticize"

is arguably one of the dumbest possible counter arguments to criticism out there and only serves as a last resort when a fanboy who cant handle someone not having his exact opinion cant actually counter someone argument or act mature in reaction to it so he needs to rely on a empty double edged sword insult that basically makes it that he cant compliment the same thing hes defending due to the non existent logic in the statement

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 9, 2012 9:14 AM

Jun 2009
There's a big difference between begin constrictive, and just being a cock. If someone is being the latter, then I think "Well, can you do better?" would be a fine response. But I guess even then it depends, that doesn't exactly apply to say, an anime for example. But more-so to just things that individuals have done themselves like drawing, making music, etc.
TrapaliciousDec 9, 2012 9:17 AM
Dec 9, 2012 9:38 AM

Jan 2012
Tavor said:
If it's constructive criticism, I think it's fair.
If it's blantant along the lines of "your drawing sucks", then yeah, I'd be saying as well, "well let's see you do better".
Xentrix- said:
Knowing something and being able to do something are two different things. I may not be able to, say, draw this or that, but I've seen enough of this or that to know it "fucking sucks".

criticism > praise

If you want to "kill" a man - praise him.
Dec 9, 2012 9:43 AM

Feb 2010
If the person criticizing has no idea what they're talking about then I call them out on their bullshit. Otherwise I just tell those bros that their story was cool.
Dec 9, 2012 12:52 PM

Aug 2012
As long as the person does constructive criticism, the "Well, I'd like to see you do better" it's entirely retarded. It's not entirely necessary to be able to do something so that you can properly criticize.
Dec 9, 2012 12:55 PM

Dec 2010
Very true.

I get that a lot in League of Legends. When I analyze people's play I can see where they went wrong with what they did but of course I have no credibility so they dismiss any criticism I make and tell me to 'get on their level'.

Dec 9, 2012 1:00 PM

Jan 2012
I may not be a chef, but I know when I'm eating dog shit.
Dec 9, 2012 1:22 PM

Jan 2012
it tastes pretty good with whipped cream ^_^
Dec 9, 2012 1:24 PM
Mar 2012
Its only annoying when the person being critical has a snotty attitude about it. Then telling them to "write a better story," is totally reasonable because they were being all condescending.

I guess its hard understand tone in a message board so people could probably read negativity in as well and get all mad at people who are stating an opinion. Or they are just bitchy.
Dec 9, 2012 1:29 PM

Aug 2012
autistic_catgirl said:
it tastes pretty good with whipped cream ^_^

I thought you were joking about being a catgirl
Dec 9, 2012 1:35 PM

Oct 2010
That's quite stupid. I don't know how to draw well, but can distinguish when a drawing is good or bad (among other purposes, to be aware of my own lack of skill).
Dec 9, 2012 1:54 PM

Oct 2009
jimbob1141 said:
I see this all the time.

Especially in deviantart.
Maybe because most people that go there seeks for encouragement in others works, so they tends to weight it in the positive side, giving a word of praise rather than criticism as a reflections to their own expectations for their own art. I was guilty of this too in the past, until I realize that one thing that I have taken for granted is progress.
I often think that my skill will get better in time as long as I keep on practicing every day, but that is a lie one's keep telling to oneself. Without criticism I will always play it on my comfort zone, only practicing on something that I had confidence in. In the end, I'm pretty good at drawing eyes and heads, I practiced drawing it a lot, but when drawing the whole proportion of human anatomy, I always fails.

Xentrix- said:

criticism > praise
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Dec 9, 2012 3:38 PM

Feb 2009
jimbob1141 said:
I see this all the time.

Say someone shows a drawing on youtube for example, and then someone comments saying "Its a bit out of proprotion, that arm looks stupid" then everyone else comment saying things like "id like to see you do better" or "do a better one and make vid dipshit"

happens in anime and manga on occasion to, someone will say something has a bad story or isnt interesting and people just say "you write a better story"

The people they are saying it to might not even be an artist or a writer or whatever the thing is in question, but they still have a right in pointing out things they dont like/flaws.

have you seen this before? and what do you think?

The problem with the internet, is well I already have an asshole, it works fine, I don't need any more in my life :) That said, opinions are like assholes. We don't really need yours, we have our own already.

So when offering an opinion, you need to make it look so good we'd rather have yours than our own.
At least we can change opinions. But I am not going to want your asshole ever :)
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Dec 9, 2012 4:28 PM

Apr 2012
Fanboyism.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Dec 9, 2012 4:30 PM

Dec 2009
A person good at criticism won't draw much hate unless he/she is trolling.
Dec 9, 2012 5:05 PM

Mar 2011
Because people are stupid and don't get how opinions work. This is true of a large percentage of the whole internet, it's hardly anything new.

In general, reasonable people will not think that, people only say that as a reactionary retaliation against the person criticising something that they like.
Dec 9, 2012 6:30 PM

Sep 2009
This thread is kinda shitty, but to be honest it's not like I could have come up with a better one.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

More topics from this board

» Have you ever touched and/or kept any foreign currency(ies)?

Kiryotsu - 8 hours ago

11 by elgatosaika »»
3 minutes ago

» Are you a deep sleeper

ST63LTH - 3 hours ago

9 by juanlqr »»
4 minutes ago

» would you rather sleep in a room filled with 1k mosquitoes or have a horse take your virginity?

707supremacist - Yesterday

36 by scarydragon »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Is intelligence overrated?

pludel2 - Mar 29

34 by Zedlin »»
10 minutes ago

» Are you Caucasian???? I am btw...

DesuMaiden - 9 hours ago

15 by elgatosaika »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.