Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Apr 15, 2:22 AM

Jul 2015
Feeling bad for Lakan and quite messed up of the tragic Fengxian for cutting Maomao's finger (as message to Lakan), but I feel like the true evil besides the miscommunication between the former two is the old shitty hag for forcing Fengxian to do dirty customers since she lost her 'value' resulting in syphilis and even afterwards keeps her hidden from Lakan and shoes him away.

May 3, 3:16 PM
Jun 2020
damn.. that was sad
May 6, 11:51 PM
Aug 2023
I completely fail to see how Lakan is at fault for anything. I'm not making excuses for the guy, minimizing, nor anything like that, it seems like a fact that he did nothing wrong.

Fengxian seemed to have initiated the sex, and as others said that it was likely Fengxian's plan to get herself pregnant to drop her value. Lakan alluding to how to drop the value of a courtesan was way after all this happened, and he was likely ignorant of that at the time. There's parallels to the attendant who didn't know the white powder was a poison, and the other attendant who didn't know honey could kill a baby, they both didn't know at the time, but knew afterwards.

If anything it seems some fault lay with Fengxian for not telling Lakan she was pregnant sooner before he got sent away. And actually the biggest fault seemed to lay with the granny, she was the one who would never sell Fengxian to Lakan because he never had enough money back then. She's also the one who forced Fengxian to prostitute with common people after all that went down, she could have just made Fengxian a servant, trainer, or something. That was some pretty massive blame shifting when she was smacking the crap out of Lakan with a broom. There was also the comments Maomao made about her brothel house being really bad at filtering out the diseased and bad people about a decade ago when all this went down, which again is the granny to be blamed for that. The granny was probably the one who turned Maomao against Lakan, probably worked it into her head that he's to be blamed for everything.

Again, I'm not trying to defend the guy, the show actually tricked me into thinking he was some horrible guy. But the facts seem to say he did nothing wrong, and the granny's to be blamed for much. Maybe that's why granny's been taking care of Fengxian all these years, she know deep down she's really at fault, and it's out of guilt.

Lakan's "crime" was he could never afford Fengxian? I don't think his fault at all. There's parallels with that other guy trying to buy the courtesan for 10,000 silver pieces, is he somehow to be blamed for not being able to afford that yet? That amount was 10 years worth of his military officer wages.
May 13, 6:12 AM
Apr 2008
Holy f* that backstory is so tragic. It wasn't the saddest thing to happen in this series yet, but that hit hard being blindsided like that, and by the series of unfortunate events. The show was being misleading on his history.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 10

133 by capyvaraw »»
May 20, 7:29 PM

» On which chapter does this season 1 end?

Creeture - Apr 24

6 by Creeture »»
May 20, 10:17 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 3

106 by capyvaraw »»
May 19, 6:31 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 27

89 by capyvaraw »»
May 19, 1:16 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Softhenic03 - Nov 18, 2023

133 by ItalianChicken »»
May 18, 9:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.