Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 18, 2022 7:02 AM

Dec 2017
Created by the legendary mangaka behind comedy classic Soremachi... shame we didn't get SHAFT back for this one.
Oct 18, 2022 7:14 AM
Aug 2020
The synopsis for this is shockingly similar to The Promised Neverland, which started in 2016, whereas this started 2 years later in 2018... for fans of the source material, is this more than a Promised Neverland bootleg?

[EDIT] I have had my question answered, and the show sounds pretty good. Do not respond to this. There is no longer a reason to do so.
FullmettleOct 19, 2022 3:35 AM
Oct 18, 2022 7:35 AM

Feb 2017
Fullmettle said:
The synopsis for this is shockingly similar to The Promised Neverland, which started in 2016, whereas this started 2 years later in 2018... for fans of the source material, is this more than a Promised Neverland bootleg?

It's literally nothing like promise neverland. True that part of the story follows kids growing in a lab but the contexts and settings between PN and this are so different that it's a pointless comparison.
Oct 18, 2022 7:47 AM

Nov 2016
I see enough big names I care about to get a bit hyped

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 18, 2022 7:49 AM
Aug 2020
Tsarko said:
Fullmettle said:

It's literally nothing like promise neverland. True that part of the story follows kids growing in a lab but the contexts and settings between PN and this are so different that it's a pointless comparison.

The Promised Neverland:
A story about children growing up in a false paradise controlled by maids, while the outside world is a hostile place where supernatural beings roam. The children's main goal: escape to a better world, which may or may not exist.

This series, according to it's synopsis:
A story about children growing up in a slice of paradise controlled by robots, while the outside world is a post-apocalyptic word where supernatural beings roam. The children's main goal: escape to a better world, which may or may not exist.

Context is everything, but you can see why I'd draw the comparison, but plot is just an outline for story beats, and isn't as important as the story itself, and I am curious to see what the author of this story has done to set it apart.

More importantly, do you like this series, and do you think I, as a fan of The Promised Neverland while it was serialising, would enjoy this series?
Oct 18, 2022 8:58 AM

Mar 2018
An adventure seinen by Production IG, I'm in !
Oct 18, 2022 9:03 AM

Aug 2018
CHEW CHEW HYPEEEE

Oct 18, 2022 9:34 AM

Feb 2017
Fullmettle said:
Tsarko said:

The Promised Neverland:
A story about children growing up in a false paradise controlled by maids, while the outside world is a hostile place where supernatural beings roam. The children's main goal: escape to a better world, which may or may not exist.

A story about children growing up in a slice of paradise controlled by robots, while the outside world is a post-apocalyptic word where supernatural beings roam. The children's main goal: escape to a better world, which may or may not exist.

Context is everything, but you can see why I'd draw the comparison, but plot is just an outline for story beats, and isn't as important as the story itself, and I am curious to see what the author of this story has done to set it apart.

More importantly, do you like this series, and do you think I, as a fan of The Promised Neverland while it was serialising, would enjoy this series?

I am aware why people might make that comparison, the synopsis certainly does sound familiar. I am just pointing out it's very surface level comparison. All similarities with TPN start and end with the fact that there is a group of children raised in some kind of facility. Everything else is different. And TPN is far from the first story to feature such a setting anyway. I would say it feels more similar to the likes of Made in Abyss, Akira and Eden: It's an Endless World

This story follows two points of view. First is of children mentioned in the synopsis, second pov is of Maru and Kiruko (boy and girl on the key visual) who are traversing and surviving in the post apocalyptic Japan in a search for a certain place. Maru and Kiruko are the main protagonists of the story.

As for the question if you would enjoy this if you enjoyed TPN, I don't know. The stories are very different. Storytelling, setting, mysteries, characters, tone, narrative, etc. are all different so I don't know what to tell you. If you love good sci-fi mystery, post apocalyptic setting, adventure and survival, a story that tremendously rewards your attention and attempts of puzzling together all the clues that were laid down then I am sure you will love this anime.
Oct 18, 2022 7:46 PM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
The similarities with TPN are all surface-level and don't extend to anything consequential in terms of plot, tone, and everything else. Like Tsarko said, this is much closer to Made in Abyss in aspects that matter.

It's a bit tiresome to see this argument invoked when TPN is clearly not the originator of the "people as cattle to non-people" setting. The latter has been around for longer than any one of us has been alive, in fact, if anyone's willing to remember a certain Herbert Wells and his little-known story called The Time Machine. Breeding and genetic experimentation lab settings are also nothing new, neither are schools and nurseries for children with superhuman abilities (X-Men, anyone?). As are post-apocalyptic worlds. It's all been done dozens of times before.

Originality of a setting is irrelevant, what's important is what a writer does with it. TPN and Tengoku are taken in completely different directions.
Oct 19, 2022 3:32 AM
Aug 2020
Tsarko said:
Fullmettle said:

The Promised Neverland:

I am aware why people might make that comparison, the synopsis certainly does sound familiar. I am just pointing out it's very surface level comparison. All similarities with TPN start and end with the fact that there is a group of children raised in some kind of facility. Everything else is different. And TPN is far from the first story to feature such a setting anyway. I would say it feels more similar to the likes of Made in Abyss, Akira and Eden: It's an Endless World

This story follows two points of view. First is of children mentioned in the synopsis, second pov is of Maru and Kiruko (boy and girl on the key visual) who are traversing and surviving in the post apocalyptic Japan in a search for a certain place. Maru and Kiruko are the main protagonists of the story.

As for the question if you would enjoy this if you enjoyed TPN, I don't know. The stories are very different. Storytelling, setting, mysteries, characters, tone, narrative, etc. are all different so I don't know what to tell you. If you love good sci-fi mystery, post apocalyptic setting, adventure and survival, a story that tremendously rewards your attention and attempts of puzzling together all the clues that were laid down then I am sure you will love this anime.

Sounds good, I'll check it out.
Oct 19, 2022 12:26 PM

Jun 2019
Let's see what I.G does with this one.
Oct 20, 2022 1:17 AM

Sep 2013
Never heard about this before. However, if it's something similar to Eden: It's an Endless World!, then I'm down.
Oct 22, 2022 3:10 PM
Nov 2017
Been following this manga since day one. It's fantastic, and I greatly look forward to seeing it animated! One of the fun things about it is that it's put together in a way that has clearly been deliberately planned out from the beginning, with things being foreshadowed dozens of chapters in advance. When you go back and reread it you can draw tons of connections and piece together the plot in a way that's a lot like solving a mystery or a puzzle. Hopefully that will translate well to the anime. I'm optimistic about it because the author himself has voiced concern about it, so I don't think he would want to go through with an anime unless it worked out (see his reply to Sarah G. here: https://soremachi.wordpress.com/2022/05/29/qa-with-masakazu-ishiguro-on-soremachi-tengoku-daimakyou-and-more/)

Regardless of that I am certain that the atmosphere and the action will be fantastic when put through animation. The manga PV from a few years ago makes me feel sure of this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b34p204HQO0
Oct 23, 2022 5:55 PM
Dec 2020
anizawa89 said:
Created by the legendary mangaka behind comedy classic Soremachi... shame we didn't get SHAFT back for this one.
SHAFT wouldn't have fit the tone for this one bit, IG is literally the dream studio for an intricate apocalyptic sci-fi series like this.

Not like nu-SHAFT is all that good anyways.
Oct 30, 2022 9:09 PM

Jul 2013
Not to be a party pooper but by the synopsis alone this sounds like darling in the franxx
Oct 30, 2022 9:48 PM
Nov 2017
Lay1306 said:
Not to be a party pooper but by the synopsis alone this sounds like darling in the franxx

Having read the manga, no, it's really not that.
Nov 24, 2022 11:32 PM
Feb 18, 2023 5:29 PM

May 2016
Not terribly familiar with the director's work, but I have full confidence in the rest of the staff and know the manga is fantastic. Can't wait for this to start!
Feb 27, 2023 1:19 AM

Jul 2019

Actually one of the best PVS i think i have ever seen

Feb 27, 2023 3:24 AM

Oct 2018
Man, this looks too good for a TV anime. I don't remember when I was this hyped watching a PV. 

VP2003boi said:

Indeed this is probably the best PV since the one from Boogiepop.
Feb 27, 2023 3:34 AM

Jul 2019
Etherius_ZS said:
Man, this looks too good for a TV anime. I don't remember when I was this hyped watching a PV. 

VP2003boi said:

Man, such a based opinion lol
Feb 27, 2023 3:36 AM

Oct 2018
VP2003boi said:
Etherius_ZS said:

Do we even know who worked on that? Yousuke Hatta maybe?
Feb 27, 2023 3:47 AM

Jul 2019
Etherius_ZS said:
VP2003boi said:
Fukushi said in an interview that at the time they only had sawada and natsume on the team consistently in the beginning, so i imagine it was by natsume himself. 
Feb 27, 2023 3:54 AM

Oct 2018
https://twitter.com/tdm_anime/status/1630131372617777154

[font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][/font]
VP2003boi said:
Etherius_ZS said:
Fukushi said in an interview that at the time they only had sawada and natsume on the team consistently in the beginning, so i imagine it was by natsume himself. 
Ah that makes sense.

Heard rumors of Fukushi cooking something, maybe early next year.
Etherius_ZSFeb 27, 2023 3:58 AM
Feb 27, 2023 3:56 AM

Jul 2019
Etherius_ZS said:
https://twitter.com/tdm_anime/status/1630131372617777154

VP2003boi said:
Ah that makes sense.

Heard rumors of Fukushi cooking something, maybe early next year.
it will be this year, no need to worry
Feb 28, 2023 1:04 AM
Nov 2017
The new PV is absolutely fantastic, I am so stoked for this to come out. Nothing to really add beyond that I am just hyped
Mar 13, 2023 1:09 AM
Apr 2022
Just came here after seeing the trailer. It looks REALLY awesome. I love these sorts of sci-fi animes with a heavy "atmosphere," so to speak. Vivy and Astra Lost in Space are animes I really love, and this one gives off similar vibes. I'm super excited, I can't wait!
A strange fellow from Korea who likes military history, science, and art.
Mar 21, 2023 12:14 PM
Aug 2022
This looks great !
Mar 22, 2023 12:23 AM

Dec 2017
Hype af but can we get the key visual with the huge ass eye as the main cover, that one's just too good

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengoku Daimakyou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2023

462 by jumbosan »»
Apr 26, 6:53 AM

Poll: » Tengoku Daimakyou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 17, 2023

473 by jumbosan »»
Apr 22, 11:24 AM

Poll: » Tengoku Daimakyou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 10, 2023

175 by jumbosan »»
Apr 22, 3:25 AM

Poll: » Tengoku Daimakyou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 6, 2023

242 by jumbosan »»
Apr 21, 11:35 PM

Poll: » Tengoku Daimakyou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 3, 2023

317 by PrOxAnto »»
Apr 18, 8:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.