Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Rent-A-Girlfriend
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 3, 2021 8:59 PM
Oct 2019
Does anybody feel like this show could have been infinitely better? For example, I feel like it could have done a lot more with the concept of a rental girlfriend, and expand upon what might lead someone to engage in this service rather than simply state said reasons. Obviously it’s only the first season, but I feel like this anime could do with a lot more backstory for the MC in this regard.

This show thrives on ironic enjoyment, but I don’t feel like that is sustainable at all. It doesn’t take itself seriously and yet it isn’t very inherently funny either, so maybe a more serious plot with less characters that I could sum up in a single trait would also have made it far more enjoyable IMO. That isn’t to say that all romcoms are bad, but the romcom elements in this show are executed very poorly, as you know who the MC will end up with in the end, the sequence of events leading to that end isn’t extraordinary, and it rarely has any comedic moments, but many cringeworthy ones.
Sep 3, 2021 9:11 PM
Mar 2021
I have to admit to be stuck in what you correctly call, “ironic enjoyment” but I believe things like the plot of rent-a-girlfriend is completely fine for what it tries to do and I wouldn’t change it even for the better. I have to say that I would change much of the comedy and the incredibly obnoxious soundtrack, everything apart from the op and the ed was cheesy, unoriginal and annoying in my opinion. The animation was fine nothing amazing, only some parts had questionable animation as it felt more like a slideshow(nothing like in domestic girlfriend though).
Sep 3, 2021 9:11 PM
Jun 2021
I recommend to not read the manga, it's a waste of time, there are a lot of mangas better than this one, Kazuya has almost no character development
Sep 3, 2021 9:24 PM
Jul 2018
I agree with you .
The manga is getting worse day by day there isn't any development in the relationships ,nothing makes sense .
And the MC sucks so bad.
Sep 3, 2021 9:27 PM
Oct 2019
Rexytheanimeman said:
I agree with you .
The manga is getting worse day by day there isn't any development in the relationships ,nothing makes sense .
And the MC sucks so bad.

I know nothing about the manga btw, but from the sound of it, my suspicions are far too close to being confirmed
Sep 3, 2021 9:28 PM

Jan 2021
OwariDaMouIiDesu said:
I recommend to not read the manga, it's a waste of time, there are a lot of mangas better than this one, Kazuya has almost no character development
The manga right now is falling apart lol, but I still want them to read the manga only until the filmmaking arc which was the peak of KanoKari

I hope no one I know irl sees my secret account~

Anyways, do I look cute in this outfit?~

Sep 3, 2021 9:30 PM
Oct 2019
AK-bro said:
I have to admit to be stuck in what you correctly call, “ironic enjoyment” but I believe things like the plot of rent-a-girlfriend is completely fine for what it tries to do and I wouldn’t change it even for the better. I have to say that I would change much of the comedy and the incredibly obnoxious soundtrack, everything apart from the op and the ed was cheesy, unoriginal and annoying in my opinion. The animation was fine nothing amazing, only some parts had questionable animation as it felt more like a slideshow(nothing like in domestic girlfriend though).

Fair enough, I guess it really depends how much the ironic enjoyment carries it for you though. Once my overall enjoyment and rating of this anime become too low, I will drop this series, but perhaps it defies the conventions of ironic enjoyment and somehow becomes more enjoyable? We can only hope lol
Sep 3, 2021 9:38 PM
Mar 2021
I just wanted some guilty pleasure and it gave that so I am perfectly fine
Sep 3, 2021 9:39 PM
Mar 2021
OwariDaMouIiDesu said:

Yeah personally read all the manga and while it is enjoyable, I completely despise the lack of progression and character development. For a show that relies on hi-jink moments, it sure isn’t realizing that. In some parts in tries to get serious but a few chapters later it’s like nothing happened and you can’t say it’s part of the characters now. The only person who slightly changed is Mizuhara because she believes she might be in love with Kazuya, her only development in 100 chapters!
Sep 3, 2021 9:42 PM

Jul 2020
Yup, definitely agree with you. This show is the definition of "Wasted potential".
It would've been better if Kazuya wasn't such an obnoxious brat. I don't get it how people even enjoy him.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Sep 3, 2021 9:58 PM

May 2020
Was there any potential to begin with,and if there was then that wimp Kazuya made sure to waste even that little amount too
Sep 3, 2021 10:09 PM
Jul 2018
The story is meh to begin with.
Sep 3, 2021 10:50 PM
Jan 2021
I thought this show was really good. Just my opinion. So no, it wasn’t wasted
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Sep 3, 2021 11:54 PM
Jul 2018
Jsupmajor said:
Rexytheanimeman said:
I agree with you .
And the MC sucks so bad.

I know nothing about the manga btw, but from the sound of it, my suspicions are far too close to being confirmed
I suggest you to read till the film making arc that's was some really good stuff but after that it becomes real trash .
Sep 4, 2021 12:32 AM
Jul 2018
The manga is so frustrating to read. It's the type of garbage that you've invested so much time to the point that you'll just have to see through it until the end.There's just so few prominent characters and the author can't even give all of them a substantial amount of screen time. It literally takes everything wrong nisekoi did and made an entire circus out of it. If it wasn't for the character design this wouldn't even sell.
Sep 4, 2021 2:47 AM
Aug 2021
Can agree, interesting concept but again said first season. Let's see
Sep 4, 2021 5:29 AM
Oct 2019
Softhenic03 said:
Was there any potential to begin with,and if there was then that wimp Kazuya made sure to waste even that little amount too

You can think that this idea is ridiculous, but what if I told you that it was possible for Kazuya to work as a character? Obviously there is no reasonable justification for the actions that he takes throughout Season 1 (and throughout the manga for all I know), and there never could be, but if we could at least know what made him the character that he is (because it obviously isn’t the breakup with Mami), one could come to understand why he acts as he does throughout the series. The MC doesn’t have to be likeable, but it is imperative that they should be well-written, and a solid backstory for Kazuya would not only make the writing for him infinitely easier, but also set him on a more definite journey of self-improvement and quite possibly lead the series to a more satisfying conclusion. It could be an accurate portrayal of why this industry exists in Japan: to help the user gain enough confidence (and the tip of the iceberg when it comes to relationship experience) to sustain a relationship with a lover.

TLDR; a backstory for Kazuya at the beginning of the series (and not the pathetic attempt that is “OH NO! My girlfriend of one month broke up with me in a justifiable way after my weird and perverted behavior!!) would have gone such a long way, and the show could have gone on to be proficient in any genre it wanted (SOL, Romcom, even Harem if you’re feeling generous).
JsupmajorSep 4, 2021 5:40 AM
Sep 4, 2021 6:31 AM

May 2020
Jsupmajor said:
Softhenic03 said:

You can think that this idea is ridiculous, but what if I told you that it was possible for Kazuya to work as a character? Obviously there is no reasonable justification for the actions that he takes throughout Season 1 (and throughout the manga for all I know), and there never could be, but if we could at least know what made him the character that he is (because it obviously isn’t the breakup with Mami), one could come to understand why he acts as he does throughout the series. The MC doesn’t have to be likeable, but it is imperative that they should be well-written, and a solid backstory for Kazuya would not only make the writing for him infinitely easier, but also set him on a more definite journey of self-improvement and quite possibly lead the series to a more satisfying conclusion. It could be an accurate portrayal of why this industry exists in Japan: to help the user gain enough confidence (and the tip of the iceberg when it comes to relationship experience) to sustain a relationship with a lover.

TLDR; a backstory for Kazuya at the beginning of the series (and not the pathetic attempt that is “OH NO! My girlfriend of one month broke up with me in a justifiable way after my weird and perverted behavior!!) would have gone such a long way, and the show could have gone on to be proficient in any genre it wanted (SOL, Romcom, even Harem if you’re feeling generous).
I've never really given it that much thought,but the point you made about a thorough backstory about Kazuya would definitely help to understand his character in a neat way,and not those points that some people use to make that he's a relateable character and that he is a reflection of everyone's pathetic self so that's why everyone hates him,it isn't true and it is not helping anyone to understand him.

So maybe there was a potential but the lack of characterization focus helped it to become an established dumbster fire where everyone just choose the characters that they want to hate on from Kazuya,Mami or Ruka or maybe Mizuhara.
Sep 4, 2021 6:37 AM

Jun 2021
If only the mc Kazuya had a backbone....
Concept's interesting for me tho.
Sep 5, 2021 1:55 AM

Feb 2021
I don't have any complaints.
Sep 5, 2021 2:03 AM

Jan 2021
official_brown said:
True, this show was definitely peak romcom.

I hope no one I know irl sees my secret account~

Anyways, do I look cute in this outfit?~

Sep 5, 2021 4:26 PM
May 2020
The storyline is interesting, I love the characters and is a really fun anime! My only critique is the ending, cuz like, the development of the main romance was just wasted. I mean, MC could have at least just confessed and not take it back, and then maybe in a second season they could explore their relationship and how they would deal with the blond girl and the short hair one, cuz it was kinda disappointed seeing them going back to the same place as the first/second episode. Sorry for any mistakes🙏
Sep 6, 2021 6:54 AM

Mar 2012
Kylinity said:
official_brown said:
True, this show was definitely peak romcom.
Trash taste at it's finest, I see.
Sep 6, 2021 9:00 AM
Aug 2019
I think it starts well but then there is a big downgrade in the history and it turns into a boring slice of life.
Sep 7, 2021 8:57 PM
May 2021
Yeah it would have been nice to sit down and enjoy the anime rather than use it as background noise.
Sep 24, 2021 12:33 AM
Sep 2021
I think it would've been better if it was a hentai

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kanojo, Okarishimasu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2020

311 by zainaAlizzy »»
Apr 10, 3:36 PM

Poll: » Kanojo, Okarishimasu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

RegulusX - Jul 17, 2020

294 by afromarco005 »»
Apr 9, 9:32 AM

Poll: » overhated, overlooked, and genuinely a real depiction of romance. ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Nov 1, 2023

79 by BigBoyAdvance »»
Mar 26, 9:05 AM

» What if Rent a girlfriend had Good story, Good romance and Good character development ( 1 2 )

Reckless_weeb - Mar 6

54 by kurayamiberkay »»
Mar 22, 10:06 AM

» Do Japanese men are really like this?

mufarari - Mar 8

13 by KayKimii »»
Mar 19, 4:21 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.