Forum Settings
Forums
Weathering With You
Available on Manga Store
New
May 21, 2020 10:33 PM

Jun 2019
Just watched the movie and went to the anime page to rate it and read the reviews (I read the reviews after watching so I don't get discouraged beforehand) and was surprised to discover that there were reviews rating it 1 and 5 stars. I actually enjoyed it a lot and found the unexpected and brave yet controversial ending quite interesting. I understand that opinions are subjective but rating it that low is just... confusing. I can already sense I might get hate for this rant but just wanted to let all this out.

بابر بہ عیش کوش کہ عالم دوبارہ نیست

Babur bah aish kosh keh alam dobarah nist.
O' Babur, enjoy yourself to your heart’s content, as there is little chance of your coming to this world again.
May 21, 2020 10:35 PM

Jan 2009
ratings for a lot of popular anime tend to have lower scores anyway? so why not focus on the mean score and popularity (members count of an anime)?
May 22, 2020 5:52 AM
Jul 2019
I don't know, I enjoyed this more than Kimi no Nawa. It's probably the end. Even I was surprised by his decision. When the word simp became popular, I realized that he's a massive simp.
May 26, 2020 6:35 PM

Oct 2019
You kinda answered your question yourself a bit. The ending was controversial, and given the fact that the ending usually has the most impact on one's experience, it's understandable why opinions on this movie are a lot more mixed when compared to the more highly rated Kimi no na wa.

That being said, the ending is far from the only reason why some people hate this movie. Many have called this movie a Kimi no na wa rip-off. Although I disagree with that statement itself, it's true that both movies incorporate similar structures. This makes the plot kinda predictable for the most part, and there were no intriguing twists to make up for that. Tenki no ko focused a lot more on characters, and less on the plot itself. This is very much opposite to Kimi no na wa, so I won't be surprised if there are quite a few people who expected a similar experience as Kimi no na wa, and thus paid more attention to the plot and not so much to the characters (which I assume ended in disappointment in many cases).

Furthermore, Makoto Shinkai as a creator also has a fairly large group of haters. A common complaint directed at his two latest movies is that his writing is very weak, and relies a lot on the visuals and soundtrack to make his movies popular, because apparently that's enough to make people feel emotional. It's unfortunate but this opinion is not quite as unpopular as I hoped it would be.

On top of all that, ratings can also be influenced by indirect frustration. Obviously this doesn't apply to every rating of 1/10 or 2/10, but sometimes other factors that are indirectly linked to something can have an impact on how you rate that thing. For example, there are many people who hate Demon Slayer a lot more than they otherwise would, had its fans not started preaching as if Demon Slayer is the second coming of Jesus or something. I'm sure that this influenced some people into rating it as a 1/10 or a 2/10 what would otherwise be something like a 4/10. In Tenki no ko's case, Makoto Shinkai is often referred to as the "Next Miyazaki". If I was a huge Miyazaki/Ghibli fan who couldn't really see the appeal of Shinkai movies, I'd probably have a lot more hatred towards his movies as a result of his rising reputation and popularity.

Anyway I kinda went off on a bit of a ramble in that last paragraph lol. But yeah there's plenty to dislike about Tenki no ko. And of course people rate stuff in their own way. I'm an advocate of giving ratings based on how you feel about something, instead of based on how many flaws it has. So if you wanna give a 10 to something that is heavily flawed, or give a 1 to something that definitely isn't that flawed, more power to you.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tenki no Ko Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

-Stray - Jul 18, 2019

383 by Myetx »»
Mar 9, 3:16 AM

» Am I wrong here? I loved it

Hrusi - Mar 16, 2020

32 by DFrench125 »»
Oct 21, 2023 8:23 AM

» kimi no na wa and tenki no ko is connected ?!

nanatshi - May 28, 2020

12 by elGatoGordo06 »»
Apr 11, 2023 11:45 PM

» Everything wrong with Tenki no Ko

Atsunome - Mar 17, 2023

26 by Steph »»
Mar 18, 2023 5:22 AM

» What did you guys think of weathering with you?

cauthecow793 - Sep 9, 2020

19 by Atsunome »»
Mar 13, 2023 5:50 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.