Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 30, 2019 12:44 AM
Feb 2018
Looking for anime/manga/LN with the premise of the MC coming into an existing system (whether it be school, team or other organised setting) and being at first underrated (not weak, not looking for zero to hero stories they must be OP from the start) by peers/rivals but then absolutely obliterating all of them (doesn’t lose at all). This should be through battles (not sports boxing or some other game setting) with other people rather than battles with some sort of common enemy (aliens, other creatures etc). Also if any romance absolutely no harem or multiple female love interests. Either no romance at all, or just a single girl the entire series. Not beyond 75 episodes.

Series that are similar to this (some not perfectly fitting) to draw comparison are:

Mahouka no Koukou Rettousei (Irregular at Magic High School): A decent example, MC OP first looked down upon. A bit too harem-y though with every second girl taking a liking to him.

Shokugeki no Souma (Food Wars): Not a great example really, while he comes in and wins a decent amount he’s never the best from the start and he loses a decent amount. Also basically a harem.

Kenja no Mago (Wise Man’s Grandchild): One of the better examples, MC OP and the romance was great. Only downside is how OP he is is never really hidden for long.

Chrome Shelled Regios: Not a great example really, not that OP in comparison, basically a harem and while it does have some MC vs Rival Team fights it’s mostly MC vs Creatures which isn’t desirable.

Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry (Chivalry of a Failed Knight): Another good example, MC OP while being underrated. Only real issue is the sister (in the anime at least, for whatever reason the novel will every so often introduce a new ‘issue’ which I dislike).

To summarise, looking for OP MC battling (not in sports or games) in a system where he is at first underrated or unknown with either no romance at all or romance with a single female character (no harem or multiple love interests).

This is my list to reference what I have already watched/read, please thoroughly check it before you post in case I have already seen it/dropped it etc. www.myanimelist.net/animelist/mw4nerfmaster
Oct 30, 2019 4:43 AM

Sep 2015
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk or sword art online although sword art online has harem the mc is somewhat only interested in one girl
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 30, 2019 5:05 AM
Feb 2018
KawaiiiPotato said:
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk or sword art online although sword art online has harem the mc is somewhat only interested in one girl

Both already on my list as seen, definitely not looking for harems though no matter the circumstances.
Oct 30, 2019 6:51 AM
Feb 2018
Maybe the Toaru Majutsu no Index series
Oct 30, 2019 7:17 AM
Feb 2018
_Iris-chan_ said:
Maybe the Toaru Majutsu no Index series

I've looked into it before but it doesn't really fit this request as I'm looking for series where the MC is a part of some organised system for fights. Index IIRC from when I looked into it is largely MC vs some larger opposition, it's not structured who he fights its largely random and due to a larger overarching conflict of mission. The best examples of what I'm looking for are Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry or Shokugeki no Souma where the MC is directly within a system where their battles develop their power/ranking/status within that institute. For instance Rakudai has fights organised to determine the participants of a tournament, Shokugeki no Souma has battles organised by initiative to determine the ranking and resources of the students. Both also have structure regarding these battles and aren't 'street fights'.
Oct 31, 2019 12:13 AM
Feb 2018
Bump, really looking for at least something that fits. Not limited to anime, manga and LN are fine too.
Oct 31, 2019 3:28 AM
Jul 2019
https://myanimelist.net/manga/45855/Mondaiji-tachi_ga_Isekai_kara_Kuru_Sou_desu_yo world has communitirs which compete in games with abilties in games. out of the 3 mc 2 of them get underestimated at start but as series goes on people stop underestimating them but to start they are underestimated.

Nov 2, 2019 3:58 AM
Feb 2018
evolutionaryfox said:
https://myanimelist.net/manga/45855/Mondaiji-tachi_ga_Isekai_kara_Kuru_Sou_desu_yo world has communitirs which compete in games with abilties in games. out of the 3 mc 2 of them get underestimated at start but as series goes on people stop underestimating them but to start they are underestimated.

Seems quite harem-y large amount of female characters around the male lead. Not looking for anything with multiple potential love interests as stated in my post.
Nov 2, 2019 4:13 AM
Jul 2019
mw4nerfmaster said:
evolutionaryfox said:

Seems quite harem-y large amount of female characters around the male lead. Not looking for anything with multiple potential love interests as stated in my post.

there is a large amount of female characters but it does balance out gender wise as series plays out. also there really is not a ahrem in the first half, not sure about lost embryo though due to not having read it.
Nov 4, 2019 8:07 AM
Feb 2018
evolutionaryfox said:
mw4nerfmaster said:

there is a large amount of female characters but it does balance out gender wise as series plays out. also there really is not a ahrem in the first half, not sure about lost embryo though due to not having read it.

The series was pretty good, the folklore tie ins were really nice. Is it worth reading the light novel? I don't want to start reading something that'll only get worse but if it maintains that standard of quality it should be good.
Nov 4, 2019 4:05 PM
Jul 2019
[quote=mw4nerfmaster message=58614129][quote=evolutionaryfox message=58603798][quote=mw4nerfmaster message=58603756]
evolutionaryfox said:

i would say so. the story in the later ln expands on several things like how a few of the powers work and fleshes out a few characters. i would say the story gets better as it goes on but more complicated since it starts getting more focused as the volumes go on. it has been a while since i read it but the folk lore stuff continues as well in the later volumes
Nov 17, 2019 12:50 AM
Nov 2016
I'm kinda late to the party but I have two I can guarantee you will like because I too am a huge fan of this genre.

1) https://myanimelist.net/anime/32951/Rokudenashi_Majutsu_Koushi_to_Akashic_Records - Lazy and aloof MC unwillingly becomes a teacher at a magic academy. He is Really strong but acts weak in the first few episodes due to plot (and laziness). Great anime with one of my favorite magic spells of all times (Extinction ray). Hints of romance (ecchi):
with dub and sub

2) https://myanimelist.net/anime/34300/Quanzhi_Fashi - Not necessarily OP from the start but he gets two powerful elements (fire and lightning) while everyone else only has 1. Underrated show. IMPORTANT: This is a chinese show with no dub. Personally, it didn't bother me but if you don't want to listen to chinese it might drive you away. Lol, either way it has a catchy OP. No romance with only a sub.

Good luck on your search :)
blacy1551Nov 17, 2019 1:08 AM
Nov 17, 2019 5:27 AM

May 2012
You might give Kill la Kill a try.

Nov 17, 2019 8:35 AM

Jul 2009
Overlord and Dungeon Defense come to mind.

The latter is probably a better example for what you're specifically looking for. The protagonist starts as the weakest Demon Lord and is treated like crap because of it. However he is basically OP because he's a genius and has hidden knowledge of the world. Very dark series with a unique writing style. Has some romance. Novel only, no anime.
Nov 23, 2019 7:29 AM
Feb 2018
blacy1551 said:
I'm kinda late to the party but I have two I can guarantee you will like because I too am a huge fan of this genre.

1) https://myanimelist.net/anime/32951/Rokudenashi_Majutsu_Koushi_to_Akashic_Records - Lazy and aloof MC unwillingly becomes a teacher at a magic academy. He is Really strong but acts weak in the first few episodes due to plot (and laziness). Great anime with one of my favorite magic spells of all times (Extinction ray). Hints of romance (ecchi):
with dub and sub

2) https://myanimelist.net/anime/34300/Quanzhi_Fashi - Not necessarily OP from the start but he gets two powerful elements (fire and lightning) while everyone else only has 1. Underrated show. IMPORTANT: This is a chinese show with no dub. Personally, it didn't bother me but if you don't want to listen to chinese it might drive you away. Lol, either way it has a catchy OP. No romance with only a sub.

Good luck on your search :)

Both series are already on my list unfortunately.

The latter is closer to what I'm after however it is a harem which I'm definitely not after.
Nov 23, 2019 8:20 AM

Nov 2017
If you're okay with webtoons, I would take a look at Noblesse

https://myanimelist.net/manga/29983/Noblesse
Nov 23, 2019 9:57 AM
Feb 2018
CloudTsunami said:
If you're okay with webtoons, I would take a look at Noblesse

https://myanimelist.net/manga/29983/Noblesse

How are all the fights in that conducted? Just one big school competition?

More topics from this board

» Anime like Yoshiaki Kawajiri's works

AcbSnakeDemon - 23 minutes ago

0 by AcbSnakeDemon »»
23 minutes ago

» Real Robot Anime

PlasticRobot - Yesterday

10 by luckyrune »»
4 hours ago

» Is Queens Blade any good?

Rogna - Feb 7, 2009

2 by Absurdo_N »»
5 hours ago

» Just Really Great Anime Suggestions

Benassiesto - Yesterday

5 by JoeChip »»
Today, 7:18 AM

» What anime has the most messed up evil mc?

Krystopher - Yesterday

4 by Zarutaku »»
Today, 3:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.