Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 13, 2018 6:51 PM

Mar 2012
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work%E2%80%93life_balance

What does work-life balance mean to you? Do you find the distinction between work life and the rest of life useful?

If you have a job, is it a big part of your identity or something you'd rather not think about outside of work? Do you feel that you bring your "true self" to work? Would you rather work more or less than you currently do? Is work interfering with other aspects of your life? Do you prefer a hard clock out, or are you okay with doing some work outside of regular working hours? Does your job/boss/schedule respect your rest-of-life priorities?

Overall, do you think people work too much or not enough?
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Aug 13, 2018 7:11 PM

Jan 2018
I think if you separate yourself too much from your work, you'll always be unhappy. Work is your duty, it's the reason you force yourself to get out of bed. Like it or not, it's really the thing that should be giving meaning to your life.

A lot of people think that their meaning lies elsewhere. In a hobby, in their free time. I really don't think so. Work is what you should do, and you should devote yourself enough to it to do it well, and reap the rewarding feeling of having done what needs to be done.

I don't particularly enjoy my job, but it's gotten a lot better ever since I got it out of my head that it's just a filler between sleeping and my "true self". My true self is the entire 24 hours. Work included.
Aug 13, 2018 7:27 PM
Jul 2018
Separate your work with your life. You won't think about your job in the middle of vacation, will you?
Aug 13, 2018 7:55 PM

Jan 2018
Onii-chan said:
Separate your work with your life. You won't think about your job in the middle of vacation, will you?

Absolutely I think about it. I work in accounting. I trust everyone under me to be able to do their job, but it will still be in the back of my head constantly everything I need to clean up when I get back.
Aug 13, 2018 8:07 PM
Jul 2018
crypticecliptic said:
Onii-chan said:

Absolutely I think about it. I work in accounting. I trust everyone under me to be able to do their job, but it will still be in the back of my head constantly everything I need to clean up when I get back.
That will burden your mind. You can do it later, think what you do now. I don't really like bring my job for this trivial stuff, but it no hurts after I reconsider it. I work in Tax office, my job is related with documents about how much the penalty has to be paid and it is very thick (the archieves are sent to other sections). If I don't separate my job and my life and think about those documents. Well, I can count how many years I will resign from this job due to work stress.
Aug 13, 2018 9:31 PM

Jan 2018
Onii-chan said:
I work in Tax office, my job is related with documents about how much the penalty has to be paid and it is very thick (the archieves are sent to other sections). If I don't separate my job and my life and think about those documents. Well, I can count how many years I will resign from this job due to work stress.

I'm not the only one at least.

It's almost refreshing to know somebody else makes small talk day-to-day and then goes to watch anime like me. :O
Aug 14, 2018 1:20 AM
Jul 2018
What does work-life balance mean to you? separating your life from your work life
Do you find the distinction between work life and the rest of life useful? yeah,if there wasn't a distinction you would be stressed out all the time over work
Aug 14, 2018 4:54 AM
Jul 2018
I think separating your work life from your personal life is important. Even though your work is a big part of what you do with your time, I don't think you should bring your work home (if you can afford to do that) unless your work is your passion. I always liked to separate my school/uni life from my personal life. For example, the group of people I normally go out to rarely is from my class/degree as I dislike the fact something Uni related always comes up when hanging out. When I have free time I dislike thinking about all the crap I have to deal with cause I have no other viable option.

I think people work what they have to work in order to afford living. Some are more "greedy" and want to work more to gain more and, there is nothing wrong with that. In general, I think the majority of people would work less if they could but, people are lazy in general so not sure how that would go.
Aug 14, 2018 6:26 AM

May 2016
Just make a gaming channel on youtube and start making your money. Surpass PewDiePie.
~ Nas, The "OG Bulgarian"~
Formerly known as:
~ Gokuvich, The "OG Bulgarian"~
Aug 14, 2018 6:03 PM

Mar 2012
crypticecliptic said:
I think if you separate yourself too much from your work, you'll always be unhappy. Work is your duty, it's the reason you force yourself to get out of bed. Like it or not, it's really the thing that should be giving meaning to your life.

A lot of people think that their meaning lies elsewhere. In a hobby, in their free time. I really don't think so. Work is what you should do, and you should devote yourself enough to it to do it well, and reap the rewarding feeling of having done what needs to be done.

I don't particularly enjoy my job, but it's gotten a lot better ever since I got it out of my head that it's just a filler between sleeping and my "true self". My true self is the entire 24 hours. Work included.
It's a fair point that having a positive attitude towards work will generally make you happier. At the same time, some jobs are just shittier than others, in terms of the work itself and the working conditions. It's easier to take pride in a job that involves significant skill and creativity (making art, drafting legal defences, performing surgery) than a job that is routine and tedious (cashing people out, stocking shelves). Similarly, some jobs have great working conditions (good pay and benefits, desirable schedule, reasonable colleagues) and others have awful schedules.

It would be ideal if everyone who wanted to work could find a loveable, meaningful job, but unfortunately I can't see that happening anytime soon. So I strongly disagree that work should be the primary (let alone only!) source of meaning in people's lives. There's so much more — relationships, hobbies/interests, caring for others, volunteering, passion projects.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - Apr 24

22 by UncreatedSong »»
34 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

27 by Astachanna »»
55 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - 9 hours ago

15 by RyuRabbit »»
1 hour ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

73 by 707supremacist »»
2 hours ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - Apr 25

19 by Deyuko »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.