Forum Settings
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 6, 2018 4:10 AM

Apr 2013
I've finished watching Kizumonogatari yesterday, and while I enjoyed the overall experience (I'm a sucker for Oishi's style, I can't help it^^), I felt that story-wise it was somewhat rushed and I found some plot-points unclear/unexplained. Maybe some well-read gentlemen of the internet can enlighten me. :)
I will mark each question in it's separate spoiler tag. I'm up-to-date on anime material, but I would like to avoid spoilers in the answers for those light novels that haven't been animated yet. If possible, I would like to have explanations for the answers based on actual lines/events from the movie or the light novels, rather than pure conjecture.

Q#1:

Q#2:

Q#3:

Q#4
Jan 22, 2018 9:18 PM

Sep 2015
Q1: I'm not partial to the specifics, so the best I can do for your first question, is point out that Meme was able to deduct that Araragi came from a different timeline to cause a zombie apocalypse later on in the series, even though there should be little to no evidence suggesting that could possibly be the case. Meme is like Jesus-kun 3.0 or something. (I'm sure there's a better explanation, but I haven't read the novel yet) I guess you could also say he improvised, Meme was never one for plans.

Q2: He begs for mercy, doesn't he? Araragi was only violent with him because Dramaturgy had Shinobu's limbs, so he would be heartless if he would refuse (and also the fact that nothing Araragi would do to him would actually kill Dramaturgy).

Q3: I think, once you start acting like a vampire (eating humans) you can't really go back to being a human. If you don't remember, that came up a lot with Araragi's lust for Hanekawa.

Q4: Easy, first of all, in the context of the series as a whole Kizumonogatari was technically written before Nekomonogatari Kuro, which is the only other time we see Araragi healing Hanekawa. In the context of the movie, which is the prequel to the rest of the series, the first time Araragi ever confronts a situation where he has to heal someone with his own blood is his battle with Episode, and like you said, he doesn't want to see Hanekawa suffer. I think you're thinking too far into it, after all, you as the viewer should have already clued into Araragi's feelings for Hanekawa, so there is no need for further "indications". If there were more, they would practically be beating you over the head with it. Also, I would even trade in logic for the badassery Araragi displayed in that scene mah boi.

Was that satisfactory?
Feb 16, 2018 6:17 PM

Sep 2015
Since I've read the novel now, I can better answer question 1. Oshino was nothing but a mediator, so he never had a plan. Rather, the only business he had both in the tensions between Kiss-Shot and the Vampire Hunters, and the location the anime takes place in (in general) was to maintain [spiritual] balance between the two forces. He stole Kiss-Shot's heart to even the playing field between her and the Vampire Hunters- so they would be at the same level. He wasn't on anybody's side and he didn't have any plan.

It just so happened that the Vampire Hunters found a way to steal her limbs, and Kiss-Shot had made a familiar- both were unexpected to Oshino and the events disrupted the balance of the area. He decided to "team up" with Araragi and Kiss-Shot because that was the only way balance would be restored- as he notes that he is just a negotiator, and doesn't belong to either side.

All of this is in the film too, it's just that it's easier to pin down this information after you see it in text.
Feb 17, 2018 11:50 AM

Apr 2013
Wow, sorry, I did not notice your answer in January. Thanks for taking the time to come back. :)

Yeah, I had a feeling that this might be the case with Meme, but it's better if its not only my feeling, but something coming from the original text. :)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kizumonogatari III: Reiketsu-hen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

moodie - Jan 5, 2017

260 by otakuanity »»
Apr 1, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Should I stop at this point?

ILovePenguins - Jan 10

29 by samsince04 »»
Jan 13, 5:53 AM

» What Would You Do If You Were in Araragi's Situation?

removed-user - Jul 10, 2023

15 by mehrabophobic »»
Jan 3, 4:14 AM

Poll: » Let's all be honest here, Shinobu's 8 year old form is cute, but adult Kiss-shot goes hard

RaltsPokemon - Jan 1

13 by Otakusan69 »»
Jan 2, 9:29 AM

Poll: » Should Araragi have had monologue in the movie?

Gaesaekki - Apr 24, 2018

3 by waalex11 »»
Aug 8, 2023 2:35 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.