Forum Settings
Forums

Has philosophy changed for the 21st century?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 21, 2017 1:14 AM

May 2015
JustaBrer said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

You're entering a loop here, the same one used by silly SJW's who got through the whole 'I'm a victim therefore I must not be questioned'. Discussions can't move on with this.

No, I most certainly am not. That's insane of you to say so.

I'm not saying you say the exact same thing as them, but this thought process enters a loop - 'it's self-evident, anyone else isn't smart enough to get it' and so we can't progress.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 21, 2017 2:59 AM
Feb 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
JustaBrer said:

I'm not saying you say the exact same thing as them, but this thought process enters a loop - 'it's self-evident, anyone else isn't smart enough to get it' and so we can't progress.

People can progress if they don't stagnate themselves around one thought process. Easier said than done. The problem is, your thought process is predictable as it stands so therefore you have no choice to think this way.
May 21, 2017 9:41 AM

Aug 2013
TheBrainintheJar said:
JustaBrer said:

People are smart enough to understand it when they see it. Many people share my view. There's a big difference between insane people and healthy people, though.
May 22, 2017 7:30 AM

May 2015
JustaBrer said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

People are smart enough to understand it when they see it. Many people share my view. There's a big difference between insane people and healthy people, though.

Since I have no insight into this thought process - what is this harmony, the difference between insane and healthy - I cannot in any way tell whether you're right or wrong.

Satania- said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

People can progress if they don't stagnate themselves around one thought process. Easier said than done. The problem is, your thought process is predictable as it stands so therefore you have no choice to think this way.

I'm not sure how this connects to our discussion. Re-phrase?
May 23, 2017 11:14 AM

May 2015
JustaBrer said:
@TheBrainintheJar

That's because you are suffering from insanity.

How do I know? And please no Kafka-trapping.
May 23, 2017 12:03 PM

Aug 2013
TheBrainintheJar said:
JustaBrer said:
@TheBrainintheJar

That's because you are suffering from insanity.

You don't. Only others who are healthy do. That is insanity.
May 24, 2017 11:14 AM

May 2015
JustaBrer said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

You don't. Only others who are healthy do. That is insanity.

As I said, this is Kafka-trapping, which is a cruel thing to do if you got power to act on it.
May 24, 2017 11:41 AM

Apr 2017
It seems only 'smart/sane' people can believe in this self evident truth that you described as the 'sense' of harmony and good...

Who/what defines good and how can you prove pure harmony in your eyes mr brer? If you take a scientific standpoint the second law of thermodynamics proves how unbalanced/unharmonized the universe is as the entropy is always increasing overall no matter what.
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
May 24, 2017 7:59 PM

Aug 2013
Ikaros_42oh said:
It seems only 'smart/sane' people can believe in this self evident truth that you described as the 'sense' of harmony and good...

Who/what defines good and how can you prove pure harmony in your eyes mr brer? If you take a scientific standpoint the second law of thermodynamics proves how unbalanced/unharmonized the universe is as the entropy is always increasing overall no matter what.

Mental health defines good. People share objective morality when they share mental health.

Harmony is just the interaction of everything to show anything. As it turns out, this is the case with the universe. God's metaphysics is the exception which does not adhere to physical laws.
May 24, 2017 8:48 PM

Apr 2017
JustaBrer said:
Ikaros_42oh said:

Mental health defines good. People share objective morality when they share mental health.

Harmony is just the interaction of everything to show anything. As it turns out, this is the case with the universe. God's metaphysics is the exception which does not adhere to physical laws.

Are people who have autism or other mental illness not good then? Some autistic people are the nicest and most thoughtful people i know (on the average even overall better humans than the average christian I've met...).
There is no objective morality because reality (which includes morality) is utterly subjective. Basically i think in terms of moral skepticism https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/skepticism-moral/

everything/the universe is not in harmony though... the driving factor of the universe is energy and as I've explained it will eventually end up so dispersed it won't measurably exist anymore and thus nothing will be shown or interact ever again. On a small scale things can be harmonious but to say the universe is... no.

no offense dude but i disagree with pretty much everything I've seen you write here lol except for your positive messages promoting a fulfilling exciting life which i find subjectively good.

May 24, 2017 10:03 PM

Mar 2014
Imo, philosophy has changed. Traditional philosophers focused about how to understanding our world while modern philosophers focused on how to create our own world. So,imo, modern philosophy was influenced by individualism that spread in Renaissance era.
May 25, 2017 8:20 AM

Aug 2013
Ikaros_42oh said:
JustaBrer said:

Are people who have autism or other mental illness not good then? Some autistic people are the nicest and most thoughtful people i know (on the average even overall better humans than the average christian I've met...).
There is no objective morality because reality (which includes morality) is utterly subjective. Basically i think in terms of moral skepticism https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/skepticism-moral/

everything/the universe is not in harmony though... the driving factor of the universe is energy and as I've explained it will eventually end up so dispersed it won't measurably exist anymore and thus nothing will be shown or interact ever again. On a small scale things can be harmonious but to say the universe is... no.

no offense dude but i disagree with pretty much everything I've seen you write here lol except for your positive messages promoting a fulfilling exciting life which i find subjectively good.

Mental health isn't binary, it exists on a spectrum. And it is infinite. God is the embodiment of infinite mental health, and Satan is the embodiment of infinite insanity. People suffer from mental illness. Some have mastered placidity and so it barely affects them at all. People with low functioning autism have a physical defect, and so they may not suffer the free will of mental illness because of their defect (their minds are inherently wired differently). Naturally they may still suffer from mental illness, but their obliviousness can help them ignore all the bad in the world as well.

Subjective morality and subjective reality is nonsense.

Measurably known to exist =/= actually existing.

You need to drop this whole subjective reality nonsense.

May 25, 2017 9:33 AM

Apr 2017
JustaBrer said:
Ikaros_42oh said:

Mental health isn't binary, it exists on a spectrum. And it is infinite. God is the embodiment of infinite mental health, and Satan is the embodiment of infinite insanity. People suffer from mental illness. Some have mastered placidity and so it barely affects them at all. People with low functioning autism have a physical defect, and so they may not suffer the free will of mental illness because of their defect (their minds are inherently wired differently). Naturally they may still suffer from mental illness, but their obliviousness can help them ignore all the bad in the world as well.

Subjective morality and subjective reality is nonsense.

Measurably known to exist =/= actually existing.

You need to drop this whole subjective reality nonsense.

yes ill agree mental health is obviously a spectrum (no shit)... but if it truly barely affects them at all then why bother calling it an illness? Sounds like your very normal typical flawed human to me that you're projecting this mental illness idea on then...
the fuck is "free will of mental illness"?

I really don't understand how you can say reality isn't subjective.

Everything we know and base our morals on could be wrong, accept this possibility and move on lol

you need to drop this "MY ONE TRUE REALITY" objective nonsense

May 25, 2017 9:36 AM

Aug 2013
Ikaros_42oh said:

You need to calm down son. You're acting mad.
May 25, 2017 9:38 AM

Apr 2017
JustaBrer said:
Ikaros_42oh said:

lmao nice, you're acting defeated dad... its ok tho, I'm clearly infinitely mentally insane hmmhhhh

May 25, 2017 11:35 AM

Aug 2013
Ikaros_42oh said:
JustaBrer said:

lmao nice, you're acting defeated dad... its ok tho, I'm clearly infinitely mentally insane hmmhhhh

Yes. You're fucking insane.

Get a grip of yourself.
May 25, 2017 12:48 PM

Apr 2017
JustaBrer said:
Ikaros_42oh said:

Get a grip of yourself.

Nah I've got a pretty strong grip of myself I just don't pretend that there is anything 100% verifiable about god and even reality/morality.

Loosen up a bit. You're choking your mind.

May 25, 2017 12:52 PM

May 2013
Ikaros_42oh said:
JustaBrer said:

Get a grip of yourself.

Nah I've got a pretty strong grip of myself I just don't pretend that there is anything 100% verifiable about god and even reality/morality.

good luck arguing about sanity on MAL, guys :P
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
May 25, 2017 12:53 PM

Aug 2013
Ikaros_42oh said:
JustaBrer said:

Get a grip of yourself.

I am now going to proceed to ignore all of your petty little posts. And I think I will ignore the rest of your posts on this forum whilst I'm at it.

You are not mentally fit, and that is unacceptable for engaging in any discussion with me.

Riddance.
May 25, 2017 1:02 PM

Jan 2014
JustaBrer said:
Ikaros_42oh said:

I am now going to proceed to ignore all of your petty little posts. And I think I will ignore the rest of your posts on this forum whilst I'm at it.

You are not mentally fit, and that is unacceptable for engaging in any discussion with me.

Riddance.
Can't handle criticism of your opinions, and that's all they are, proceed to call people insane in order to dismiss their points, then act all high minded and pretend to be superior. Another "intellectual" on MAL I see.

And people wonder why I consider discussing serious topics on MAL pointless...

OT: In general I consider philosophy to be outdated in terms of impact on the world, aside from political philosophy. Philosophy is not the end all be all that a lot of people on this forum seem to make it out to be, and most people that believe so come off as complete morons.

Before anyone says I "wouldn't survive a minute in a philosophy class", I studied it for 2 years.
ThrashMattoMay 25, 2017 1:13 PM
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

May 25, 2017 1:07 PM
Jun 2011
ThrashMatto said:
JustaBrer said:

Riddance.
Can't handle criticism of your opinions, and that's all they are, proceed to call people insane then act all high minded and pretend to be superior. Another "intellectual" on MAL I see.

do it like me just ignor the pointless posts and respond encourage the serious posts. You are welcome to this serious thread https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1618050
helion1May 25, 2017 1:11 PM
May 25, 2017 2:42 PM

Aug 2013
ThrashMatto said:
JustaBrer said:

Riddance.
Can't handle criticism of your opinions, and that's all they are, proceed to call people insane in order to dismiss their points, then act all high minded and pretend to be superior. Another "intellectual" on MAL I see.

OT: In general I consider philosophy to be outdated in terms of impact on the world, aside from political philosophy. Philosophy is not the end all be all that a lot of people on this forum seem to make it out to be, and most people that believe so come off as complete morons.

Before anyone says I "wouldn't survive a minute in a philosophy class", I studied it for 2 years.

How little you understand of philosophy. Master philosophy, and you've mastered life. To master philosophy is to master mental health. I imagine with your naïveté you may convince yourself that you would be surviving those classes. But the result would be, and has seemed to be, yet another arrogant little fool with hardly a shred of novel insight into our society or reality.

I can deal with people like you all day long. Its not hard, and I'll keep hammering the message home until you back off and learn to speak sense before you speak.

Do yourself a favour and tone down that baseless ego.
May 25, 2017 2:48 PM

Jan 2014
JustaBrer said:
ThrashMatto said:

How little you understand of philosophy. Master philosophy, and you've mastered life. To master philosophy is to master mental health. I imagine with your naïveté you may convince yourself that you would be surviving those classes. But the result would be, and has seemed to be, yet another arrogant little fool with hardly a shred of novel insight into our society or reality.

I can deal with people like you all day long. Its not hard, and I'll keep hammering the message home until you back off and learn to speak sense before you speak.

Okay kid, how old are you? Seriously, do you talk like this in real life?
Apologies if you're an adult, you just talk like a 15 year old who's trying to overcompensate.
Also lol at telling other people to "tone down that baseless ego", the irony is too much.

Edit: Oh, you're 22.... that's sad
ThrashMattoMay 25, 2017 2:56 PM
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

May 25, 2017 2:51 PM

Apr 2017
There is so much more to life than mastering philosophy lmao you're a joke confirmed

May 25, 2017 3:02 PM
Jun 2008
ThrashMatto said:

I was in tentative agreement with you until this clanger, tbh

May 25, 2017 3:04 PM

Jan 2014
TPO said:
ThrashMatto said:

I was in tentative agreement with you until this clanger, tbh
It's a mocking reference to something another MAL "intellectual" posted in another thread, that's it.
I love Christine

May 25, 2017 3:06 PM
Jun 2008
Fair enough if that's the case, then I'm in agreement with you without much reservation

ty for saying political philosophy is still useful btw

May 25, 2017 10:08 PM

Aug 2013
ThrashMatto said:
JustaBrer said:

Apologies if you're an adult, you just talk like a 15 year old who's trying to overcompensate.
Also lol at telling other people to "tone down that baseless ego", the irony is too much.

My physical age may be 22 but my mental age is infinitely superior to yours.

Fuck off.

May 26, 2017 12:08 AM

Jan 2014
JustaBrer said:
ThrashMatto said:

Fuck off.

Oh yes, definitely showing your maturity here, good job.
I love Christine

May 26, 2017 12:23 AM

May 2015
ThrashMatto said:
JustaBrer said:

Riddance.

That's odd. Science relies on epistemology. Consciousness studies relies on philosophy of mind. Ethics are a big deal - all laws come from there. Philosophy of religion is a big deal, since religion is still a big deal for people.

I think it's more to do with the fact people don't study philosophy.
May 26, 2017 5:33 AM

Aug 2013
ThrashMatto said:
JustaBrer said:

Fuck off.

Like I said, fuck off.

TheBrainintheJar said:
ThrashMatto said:

That's odd. Science relies on epistemology. Consciousness studies relies on philosophy of mind. Ethics are a big deal - all laws come from there. Philosophy of religion is a big deal, since religion is still a big deal for people.

I think it's more to do with the fact people don't study philosophy.

Good points Brain.
May 26, 2017 6:53 AM

Aug 2007
Nice, another pseudo-intellectual with a hard-on for philosophy and thinks he's intellectually superior because he wants to discuss philosophy on an anime forum.

There have been users like you in the past, they have all come and gone.

May 26, 2017 7:52 AM

Aug 2013
Hias said:
Nice, another pseudo-intellectual with a hard-on for philosophy and thinks he's intellectually superior because he wants to discuss philosophy on an anime forum.

There have been users like you in the past, they have all come and gone.

Haha, no problem buddy. I assure you, I'm here to stay.
May 26, 2017 7:55 AM

Aug 2007
JustaBrer said:

Stay gold, friend.

Follow your heart and your mind.

May 26, 2017 7:59 AM

Aug 2013
Hias said:
JustaBrer said:

Stay gold, friend.

Follow your heart and your mind.

So tru.

Haha. I like it. I like your style mate.
May 26, 2017 11:47 AM

Jan 2014
JustaBrer said:
ThrashMatto said:

Like I said, fuck off.

I just don't get how you can consider yourself mature and intelligent when you tell people you disagree with that they're insane and to fuck off, aswell as believe that your opinions are the one and only truth. Seems more like narcissism and a fragile ego if you ask me, but hey, whatever helps you sleep at night, snowflake.
I love Christine

May 26, 2017 12:47 PM

Aug 2013
ThrashMatto said:
JustaBrer said:

Like I said, fuck off.

I just don't get how you can consider yourself mature and intelligent when you tell people you disagree with that they're insane and to fuck off, aswell as believe that your opinions are the one and only truth. Seems more like narcissism and a fragile ego if you ask me, but hey, whatever helps you sleep at night, snowflake.

It's like I've been trying to say, that's just your naivete. This is getting pitiful now.

Take it easy. Have a good one.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» what makes you send someone a friend request?

707supremacist - Yesterday

30 by ST63LTH »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Do you live with regrets?

Lightskynight - Apr 18

29 by ST63LTH »»
2 minutes ago

» Are you in financial debt? Nothing wrong with admitting that you are.

DesuMaiden - Apr 11

37 by ST63LTH »»
3 minutes ago

» Is fanart cheating?

spaceslut - Mar 5, 2023

47 by deg »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » thoughts on social experiments?

deg - Apr 23

12 by ST63LTH »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.